PDA

View Full Version : Angel of the £South" - A Horse ?

Kodiak
10-Feb-09, 23:53
So the Angel of the South is to be a White Horse 33 Times Life Size and will cost £2 Million.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/7880889.stm

K

TBH
11-Feb-09, 00:17
So the Angel of the South is to be a White Horse 33 Times Life Size and will cost £2 Million.

KA total waste of money in this current financial crisis.

wifie
11-Feb-09, 00:40
Now I love horses in art but I have to say that is one boring horse! Why also does it have to be dubbed the Angel of the South! So sick of folk labelling stuff for the sake of it! Pathetic! Sorry also but what the heck bearing will that have on the Olympic Games? :confused

scorrie
11-Feb-09, 00:52
A classic case of the human being putting fancy notions ahead of tangible help towards those in need. The Angel of the North is a horrid monstrosity that serves as a tribute to self-satisfaction in the face of a society that needs so much finance put into far more worthy and needy causes. Let Baby P take his bashing, while some Colon Ostriches run around waving their arms about, waffling piss about symbolism and hope. Britain is a country that should get a grip of itself and address the basics first. With the current state of the economy, a giant, white ELEPHANT would have been more appropriate.

Here's an idea, what about the people of Ethiopia, for example, spending £2 Million on erecting a 50 meter high Hovis Loaf sculpture? That would be a symbol of hope, representing the need for food in the country. No doubt art critics in the UK would be wetting themselves at the "Immediacy and Scale of the statement"

Julia
11-Feb-09, 00:56
Isn't the 'Angel of the North' enough, why does the south need one? It's not an angel it's a horse, I don't get it:confused

Isn't there a big white chalk horse somewhere else on a mountain side, Weymouth area I think, are they connected?

Maybe it would help if I watched the news...:roll:

MadPict
11-Feb-09, 01:16
Don't worry - the rate that horses are being sent to the knackers yards due to the recession depression, this won't even see the light of day.

Quite why they chose a horse - if they wanted something to represent Britain how about a extra large copy of the Big Issue? :)

Julia
11-Feb-09, 01:19
if they wanted something to represent Britain how about a extra large copy of the Big Issue? :)

Or a very large Giro cheque!

wifie
11-Feb-09, 11:35
Scorrie I totally get where you are coming from but we do need art in our lives (check out the photo forum for some beauty) but it does not need to cost a fortune or make a statement you are right!
Have we all gone too far analysing and talkin instead of doing?

topotheuk
11-Feb-09, 12:19
Now I love horses, in fact I have been advised that I apparently have Equasy - Equine Addiction Syndrome! some research bod has decided this, more potent than an addiction to E's seemingly. Hmm, maybe I can tell my hubby this and he will be more understanding about the amount of time and money I spend on the damn things....But come one 2 million on a horse statue - even I think this is absolutely absurd. Mind you in this country nothing surprises me any more. It's not even (in my opinion) a fantastically good looking horse at that.

router
11-Feb-09, 12:53
Waste of money.[disgust]

There is a white horse in the south of england in Hampshire i believe. The white chalk horse carved into the grass. That cost nothing to do as it is in the land scape. This is gonna be another eyesore just like the Angel of the North.

brandy
11-Feb-09, 12:54
what i cant understand, if they have to do this... which obviously they do.. *rolls eyes* why is it just a white horse standing there doing nothing?
you would think they could have had one rearing or something! oh look honey horseys in that field... and look theres a BIGGGG horse over there.

Kenn
11-Feb-09, 13:04
Complete waste of money, there are already plenty of white horses carved into the side of The Downs both the north and south ones and most of them are better looking especially The Uffington one.
I love the arts but this looks like a giant rocking horse gone wrong and will serve no purpose what so ever other than indulge the whims of a few who are out of touch with reality.

teenybash
11-Feb-09, 13:36
I feel this is a piece of nonsense and while I can appreciate artistic impression, I cannot see the artistry in this proposed project.
Where is the grace and beauty, the imagination and flare, the passion and excitement that is part of equine beauty.........this just looks like a giant effigy of a Barbie horse.............Can't see it ever happening.

highbury
11-Feb-09, 16:01
very true, wa waste in this economic climate, however should be a rearing grey, tis after all what the Kentish emblem is

unicornleather
11-Feb-09, 16:58
I don't like the angel of the North and as much as I like horses, have to because of my job, I wouldn't like to see this one in Kent. It's waste of money, in the current economic crisis it should have been a giant P45 standing there, would be more appropriate

George Brims
11-Feb-09, 20:09
A white *elephant* would be more apt.

George Brims
11-Feb-09, 20:41
And then there's this one...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/4592596/B-of-the-Bang-1.4m-sculpture-binned-by-council.html

alanabain
12-Feb-09, 00:02

K

Most stupid thing i have ever read......£2 million.

Why bother working at BT.. i will just start selling giant horses.

Kodiak
12-Feb-09, 00:59
Perhaps they should have put wings on the horse, like Pegasus, that way being called the "Angel of the South" would seem a bit more Appropriate.

percy toboggan
12-Feb-09, 19:28
I know she's Australian ( it's a colony) but the image of Cate Blanchett as Elizabeth I armour clad and in battlecry mode astride a white horse was one of the most striking images I've seen since the turn of the century.
(Elizabeth - the power and the glory)

They should use the image on this horse. I'm fully in favour of the 'angel of the south' we need more big projects that celebrate our history. The cost is relative peanuts....I'm sure our near European neighbours would enjoy it also. ;)

alanabain
12-Feb-09, 19:52
I know she's Australian ( it's a colony) but the image of Cate Blanchett as Elizabeth I armour clad and in battlecry mode astride a white horse was one of the most striking images I've seen since the turn of the century.
(Elizabeth - the power and the glory)

They should use the image on this horse. I'm fully in favour of the 'angel of the south' we need more big projects that celebrate our history. The cost is relative peanuts....I'm sure our near European neighbours would enjoy it also. ;)

But surely they could find a cheaper way of celebrating history.

£2 million is alot of money in my books ( or bank ) just for a giant horse.

I could think of plenty of other things that the money could be used for that would benefit the country, not just the south.... and tourists.

I am a fan of attractions. I have been to plenty. Just this one seems a bit to far

percy toboggan
12-Feb-09, 20:17
Oh alanabain...the people of Kent and the south east might complain they don't get enough of the wealth they create so much of.
The Angel of the North is a treat to the eyes (this pair anyway). Mancunia is to los eit's 'b' of the bang because it's falling to bits already.
Scotland has so much natural splendour that the paltry man-made efforts which are so welcome in the green and beautiful...but slightly sedtae English landscapes south of Brum can never hope to emulate.

I for one do not begrudge 'em a big 'orse...I'd just rather see Blanchett astride it - have you seen the image I'm on about?

percy toboggan
12-Feb-09, 20:22
http://blogs.theage.com.au/schembri/liz1.jpg

alanabain
12-Feb-09, 22:00
Oh alanabain...the people of Kent and the south east might complain they don't get enough of the wealth they create so much of.
The Angel of the North is a treat to the eyes (this pair anyway). Mancunia is to los eit's 'b' of the bang because it's falling to bits already.
Scotland has so much natural splendour that the paltry man-made efforts which are so welcome in the green and beautiful...but slightly sedtae English landscapes south of Brum can never hope to emulate.

I for one do not begrudge 'em a big 'orse...I'd just rather see Blanchett astride it - have you seen the image I'm on about?

Haha no i havn't but i can imagine.

You are right that there is alot of areas that have something to show off, and there is probably a lack of it in the south area.

But £2 million for a horse?? Could they not come up with something more appealing to view. I was more excited to see the Falkirk wheel than just a horse, and why does it cost so much? I don't actually know what it is made of... but it must be something special for that much. Maybe they should put someone on top of the horse.. a statue of course :lol:, that is a hero to the area. I can't see what the horse symbolises.

JAWS
13-Feb-09, 09:56
What an outdated concept, the Greeks created one several thousand years ago.
I wonder if it is somebody trying the same trick again? :eek:

crayola
14-Feb-09, 01:53
The horse looks great. I love the Angel of the North and if the horse looks anything like that I'd love it even more.