PDA

View Full Version : Beekeeping

Pony
10-Feb-09, 23:25
Any beekeepers on here? Im planning to give it a go but not sure where to start.

Scunner
10-Feb-09, 23:32
Beekeeper here, what do you want to know? You will get stung

Pony
11-Feb-09, 13:17
Yes..expecting to get stung...and infact would like to try being stung before I actually get bees myself (incase Im allergic)!! Ive read a few books but have no practical experience. Havent bought any equipment yet or anything. Was hoping to find out if there is a local bee keepers club or similar for help to get started. Also does anyone sell bees locally? Im only planning to keep 1-2 hives for personal use / hobby on a very small scale. Any advice / contacts greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Scunner
11-Feb-09, 13:22
Olrig and District Beekeepers are the local contact. Google and you will get the secretary's Telephone number. PM me for more info if you wish

Tilter
11-Feb-09, 21:02
Not me. OH belongs to Olrig & District B-keepers though. Personally I keep my distance ever since I got stung on the snout.

Pony
11-Feb-09, 21:09
Aha...found the contact. Thanks for your help - will probably wait until the weather improves a bit then get myself organised.

Pony
11-Feb-09, 21:23
Not me. OH belongs to Olrig & District B-keepers though. Personally I keep my distance ever since I got stung on the snout.
Ouch....I may well be put off when I get stung too!! At the moment I just like the idea of keeping bees but wont know for sure until I get close to a hive-full (never ever been stung before). Im sure the satisfaction of collecting my own home-made honey will make the stings worth it and the bees are fascinating creatures.

Stefan
11-Feb-09, 21:45
Shame bees don't eat midges or I'll keep some myself.
I know that I am allergic so I don't think it's a good idea to start with bees, although I'd love to...

Stefan

Scunner
11-Feb-09, 22:07
Be patient until the spring, bees are in semi-hibernation just now, unless they decide to come out when the sun shines. They are fascinating. Because of the disease now, it might be worthwhile to see if you can acquire a swarm from a local beekeeper.

Tilter
12-Feb-09, 22:41
Ouch....

Yeah, it was right between my eyes. They were swollen shut for 2 days.......

They have meetings once a month or so in winter in Castletown so you could go and meet some bkeepers and learn a bit now though. Come summer someone will swarm you some. You shouldn't buy any from outwith Caithness as I think we're the last varroa mite-free place in UK. From what I understand (next to nothing) it's all doom and gloom in the bee world at the mo.

I did once get brave and stroke them with bare hands when they were all on their frames and it was just like stroking velvet. It was lovely.

Pony
13-Feb-09, 19:51
Thanks guys....will definately get my bees locally. Want to do things properly (and do my bit for the bees / environment as well as getting some honey/beeswax). Will be in touch with the club shortly....cant wait to get started!!

Scunner
01-Mar-09, 22:15
The bees are out working on the Crocus - spring has sprung- Queens must be laying if the workers are out collecting