PDA

View Full Version : Wick Accordion and Fiddle Club

Invisible
10-Feb-09, 22:45
Noticed there isnt that many post on Traditional music.

So im going to let you know or remind you that the Wick Accordion and Fiddle Club will meet at the Mackays Hotel 7.30pm on Tuesday 17th.

and also if you didnt know it was voted club of the year 2007.

http://www.bebo.com/WAAFC.

See local press for more information (basically cos i cant mind)

The Pepsi Challenge
11-Feb-09, 01:12
I could wax lyrical about folk music if you want, Invisible. Gordon Gunn is from Wick - we could start there? Or what about folk music in Caithness, and the fact, weirdly, that there is very little of it?

Gizmo
11-Feb-09, 01:57
Gordon Gunn is from Wick

He was my neighbour for 7 years

buddyrich
11-Feb-09, 21:34
And Thurso Accordion and Fiddle Club meets the first monday of every month in the Pentland Hotel at 7.30. I think you get in for nowt if you do a turn.

Both clubs are usually well supported and present fine visiting guest artists as well as giving a stage for enthusiastic amateurs.

Canna wait for Iain MacPhail in thurso in september.

Invisible
18-Feb-09, 17:16
Was a good night last night. Was any orgers there?

buddyrich
18-Feb-09, 19:50
I didnt make it but i caught the inverness one on monday night and it was excellent-standing room only.

Aaldtimer
19-Feb-09, 04:34
I could wax lyrical about folk music if you want, Invisible. Gordon Gunn is from Wick - we could start there? Or what about folk music in Caithness, and the fact, weirdly, that there is very little of it?

Wildcat Traditional Music Association ran concerts monthly for five and a half years in Thurso from 2001.
Sadly, through lack of support/attendance it withered on the vine!

SEPT. 2001
DOUBLE BILL : GORDON GUNN BAND (WICK) & THREE PEACE SWEET (ORKNEY)
BRUCE MacGREGOR & FRIENDS / SUPPORT: MIKE KEAVEY
SESSION A9. CHARLIE McKERRON & BAND
TAM WHITE & NEIL WARDEN

WILDCAT ‘ ON THE PURROWL’…THE BEST OF LOCAL ACTS
SARAH GREY. AMERICAN SINGER & BANJOIST
ROBIN LAING ….’ THE ANGEL’S SHARE’
NORMAN STEWART
CRAOBH RUA
COLCANNON….FROM AUSTRALIA
FON A BHORD
MIKE WHELANS
PADDY GLACKIN & MICHEAL O’DOHMNAILL.. BOTHY BAND FOUNDERS!!!!
JIM REID
THREE PEACE SWEET
DAVE GOULDER…THE JANUARY MAN HIMSELF!
BILL JONES & SARAH WRIGHT
HAREM SCAREM
FRED MORRISON (EX CAPERCAILLIE) & JAMIE McMENEMY ( EX BATTLEFIELD)
RORY McLEOD
ERIC BOGLE & JOHN MUNRO
JOHN SPILLANE.. IRISH MERCURY MUSIC AWARD WINNING SINGER SONGWRITER
STEVE KAUFMAN..3 TIMES USA NATIONAL CHAMPION FLATPICKER!
EDDIE WALKER
CANTRIP

AARON JONES & CLAIRE MANN
JIM HUNTER & JIM MICHIE
MIRK with BRIAN MILLER & GAVIN LIVINGSTONE
COAL PORTERS
ALAN REID & ROB VAN SANTE
MICHAEL MARRA & LIZ LOCHEAD — "IN FLAGRANT DELICHT"
TAM WHITE + JOOST
ADRIAN BYRON BURNS
COLCANNON
STEVE KAUFMAN
NORMAN STEWART
VIN GARBUTT

KIERAN HALPIN
LYRA CELTICA*
IAN DAVISON & ADAM McCULLOCH
TOM & BARBARA BROWN (DEVON)
SARA GREY & KIERON MEANS
WILDCAT ON THE PROWL! Local Artistes.
MICK WEST BAND
THE MIDDEN
TICH FRIER
COCKERSDALE
EMILY DRUCE & STEVE JONES + Johnny Handle in support
PRESTON REED
EDDIE WALKER

LYRA CELTICA
JIM HUNTER & JIM MICHIE
SHEPHEARD, SPIERS & WATSON
JIM PAYNE & FERGUS O''BYRNE
"FOLK CLUB" SESSION
SALTFISHFORTY
ERIC BOGLE & JOHN MUNRO
BEVERLEY SMITH & CARL JONES
TOMMY & MOYA SANDS
ARCHIE FISHER

ROBIN LAING
GEORGE PAPAVGERIS
MICHAEL MARRA

[disgust]

The Pepsi Challenge
19-Feb-09, 10:41
Sorry to hear that Aaldtimer. An indictment of the sad, sorry times we live in. There's some excellent names on there. Whenever my partner (Shona Mooney, the fiddler - heard ofher?) and I are up north we always try to take in some traditional music. Where's Karen Steven these days? Is she teaching doon sooth still? I do wish her, and Gordon Gunn, would do a wee bit more for their county, but then I can't say I blame them, given, as you say, the lack of support.

buddyrich
19-Feb-09, 15:09
They had an interesting way of funding Wildcat didnt they? I think members paid a monthly subscription and that money paid for the visiting artists.

Not a bad idea, what a shame it died out.

Aaldtimer
20-Feb-09, 03:56
Aye TPC, some great nights were had with so few in attendance.
As I always said, them that weren't there didn't know what they'd missed!
Yes I'm aware of Shona's profile, I hope she prospers.
I suppose you are aware of the sessions that are held in the Comm in Thurso every Wednesday nights?

Karen Steven had some serious health issues a couple of years back, a stroke no less, thankfully she has fully recovered from it and I believe is based in Easter Ross nowadays doing the teaching thing.

Gordon Gunn has a family to support and is with Session A9 and any other projects which support his lifestyle...unfortunately not available in Caithness, more's the pity.

Buddyrich, yes it was a fairly innovative method of having a core funding when we started out with about 25 members, supplemented by the raffle etc., but when members dwindled to 17 due to people moving away, and other reasons, it became financially unsustainable.
It was great while it lasted, and I'm thankful for the support of the people who made it possible to exist for as long as it did.

Deemac
20-Feb-09, 11:37
May I also chip in as I did quite a few sound engineering duties with Wildcat.

Must say folk is not really my sort of music sytlistically but I thoroughly enjoyed many of the acts that were presented. Some of them are/were world class performers and it staggered me the local apathy and attitude. At times (in season) a large proportion of the audience would be tourists who knew a good thing when they saw/heard it.

A good quality venue would help it has to be said and I'm affraid from my own perspective Thurso just isn't there - yet - (I did see the proposed plans for the replacement Viewfirth and if the architect hires a good acoustic engineer (!!!!) it could have potential - here's hoping).

From the ashes etc . . . . .:Razz