PDA

View Full Version : In bed with Alfred Hitchcock...

percy toboggan
10-Feb-09, 22:06
Alfred Hitchcock.... The master of suspense - it's alleged. I'd have posted this on the film board but there isn't one yet.;)

At Christmas my daughter kindly bought me a boxed set containing umpteen of Hitchcock's movies on dvd.

So far I've seen two. 'Rear Window' and last night 'Rope' ...I say last night but I have to watch these in installments in bed and I can't always keep my eyes open.

I'm beginning to think our Alf's a bit over-rated you know. A case of 'Emperor's new clothes?'

'Rope' for instance was fairly dire. Very stagey. Featured a pair of homosexuals in suits (I hadn't realised they were homosexual until it was explained to me in the commentary afterwards).. They decide to strangle a bloke and then throw a party for his family and friends....his body lying in a trunk atop which lies the buffet!! This done in the name of an intellectual exercise to stimulate their minds. I suppose this was quite daring for its time.

'Rear Window' seemed to be on for hours and hours! To no great effect.

If you like Hitchcock what's your favourite of his?

I remember his 'Hitchcocks Half Hour' t.v. shows in the sixties...one about a injured motorist who was paralysed and couldn't move a muscle...they thought he was dead...it stuck in my mind for decades.

School showed us 'Psycho' when we were fifteen and frightened the life out of me...it too is in the set but I'm waiting for lighter nights :grin:

Tonight I might have a look at 'Frenzy' if I can stand the excitement...or even 'Vertigo'

Julia
10-Feb-09, 22:27
I'm a bit of a fan of Alfred Hitchcock, Psycho being particularly interesting as it's based on Ed Gein, a real life psychopath who murdered a few and made furniture etc.. from their skin back in the 50's.

I like mysteries and crime documentaries, so marrying the two is right up my street.

The Birds is a classic, I saw it again last year, once you get past the fake backgrounds it's really quite a creepy movie.

kas
10-Feb-09, 22:28
North by Northwest has to be my favourite, although I like most of them including Rear Window.

percy toboggan
10-Feb-09, 22:31
I'm a bit of a fan of Alfred Hitchcock, Psycho being particularly interesting as it's based on Ed Gein, a real life psychopath who murdered a few and made furniture etc.. from their skin back in the 50's.

I like mysteries and crime documentaries, so marrying the two is right up my street.

The Birds is a classic, I saw it again last year, once you get past the fake backgrounds it's really quite a creepy movie.

The Birds was great in its day.

We actually went to Bodega Bay once but found little to resemble the sets in the movie.A fabulous drive north up Highway One from San Francisco.

The Pacific Ocean was nice though - (he understated)....Mrs.T flirted with some fishermen and we got a lock in at the chippy !

bettedaviseyes
10-Feb-09, 23:12
oh i really like the birds there has been a second one and there is a remake on the way but never be as good as the original:roll:

file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Derek/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-7.jpghttp://a7.vox.com/6a00b8ea0716eb1bc000bd98e727dfb1b4-500pi

Kodiak
10-Feb-09, 23:20
Due to the passing of time most of his films now look dated. This is very unfortunate indeed as when they were made they were quite innovative.

So if you watch any of his films and do so with "Today's" expectations then you will be disappointed. If you can get pased all of that I am sure most people will see that they have been well directed and Filmed.

My two favourites are.

The Birds
North by North West

K

Julia
11-Feb-09, 01:16
I know this is off topic but I really do like the old Sherlock Holmes movies, you know the ones with Basil Rathbone as Holmes and Nigel Bruce as Dr Watson, now they were great and not too scary. I scare easy you know :eek:

The Pepsi Challenge
11-Feb-09, 05:43
As far as writing/ scripts go, Hitchcock didn't have a patch on Rod Serling.

Kodiak
11-Feb-09, 15:42
As far as writing/ scripts go, Hitchcock didn't have a patch on Rod Serling.

This may or may not be correct but what has this got to do with this thread? The Question was :-

If you like Hitchcock what's your favourite of his?

Not who is the best writer of Film scripts.

The Pepsi Challenge
11-Feb-09, 16:37
Hitchcock was Serling's contemporary and peer. They were both working around the same time. It's just I feel Serling was superior to the big man, great as Hitchcock was.

hotrod4
11-Feb-09, 17:01
Hitchcock was Serling's contemporary and peer. They were both working around the same time. It's just I feel Serling was superior to the big man, great as Hitchcock was.
I have to agree with you there. Hitchcock did make North by Northwest which was an absolute blinder of a movie though.

wifie
11-Feb-09, 21:46
Oh Percy I love Hitch - hope you enjoy some of them! Frenzy is good but I found it quite disturbing at some points from a woman's point of view!
My favourite is Marnie!
I love all the Cary Grant ones - North by Northwest, To Catch a Thief, Notorious and Suspicion. I also rate Rebecca, The 39 Steps, The Birds, Vertigo, Rear Window, Dial M for Murder and Strangers on a Train!
Yep I quite enjoy a Hitch film! :D

bettedaviseyes
11-Feb-09, 22:52
SKY CLASSICS just now is showing THE BIRDS and after:D PHYCHO

Dadie
11-Feb-09, 22:57
I wont be able to sleep if I watch them....I know most of it is done by suggestion but my imagination runs wild.... thinking the worst scary things ever and then it plays on my mind for ages after:eek:

loobyloo
11-Feb-09, 23:06
I love Hitchcock! North by north west and Vertigo. Afternoon films. I don't know why but I always seem to be watching them in the afternoon, without planning it: they'll come on the telly and totally bewitch me! Fantastic acting, lots of sideways looks and emphasis on facial expressions. Music too makes it.
Brilliant.

Garage Door
12-Feb-09, 00:05
Psycho, North by Northwest and Vertigo are brilliant but personally I absolutely love one of Hitchcock's early films - The Lady Vanishes. I also think that Notorious is great, but after writing an essay on it I do not want to see it again for a very long time!

Julia
12-Feb-09, 02:38
After being reminded of all these great titles I'm now in the mood for a Hitchcock movie.... I don't think I've ever even seen North by Northwest :confused

Aaldtimer
12-Feb-09, 04:14

Serling was primarily a screenwriter, Hitchcock was primarily a Director & Producer, although he did work closely with his writers.
I think your comparing them unfairly.

The Pepsi Challenge
12-Feb-09, 11:30
Serling was primarily a screenwriter, Hitchcock was primarily a Director & Producer, although he did work closely with his writers.
I think your comparing them unfairly.

My first post, which you may or may not have noticed said: "as far as scripts/ writing goes". Both were writers.

percy toboggan
12-Feb-09, 18:39
I know this is off topic but I really do like the old Sherlock Holmes movies, you know the ones with Basil Rathbone as Holmes and Nigel Bruce as Dr Watson, now they were great and not too scary. I scare easy you know :eek:

I bought a few at a boot sale Julia - vhs...will get around to watching them but loved Basil as a kid...top telly treat on our little set in the sixties.
Rathbone has a certain something...clinical gravitas with a glint. Watsons was always oafish but endearingly so....his heart was in the right place.

percy toboggan
12-Feb-09, 19:17
Blimey: I'm watching Frenzy in installments. It's a vibrant print...slightly over the top techicolor..great quality but there's something about this film which is unsettling me.To my surprise I've not seen it before. When I realised it was set in London my interest perled up...I like British films best.

Oddly disconcerting violence. Toward women and filmed in such a way that I was wincing inwardly. It seemed fairly real and I'm really hoping this necktie killer gets knotted in double quick time. We see so much violence portrayed on telly and on film that it can sometimes leave us immune, cold or de-sensitised. This pot-boiler from the seventies is proving an exception..maybe that's the mark of the man who directed it...I might have to revise my prematurely formed opinion.

I shall tune in again tonight c.10-00pm. and hope I can keep my eyes open 'til the end this time. Perhaps not the best preparation for a settled nights sleep but I never get one of those anyway... that's another story