PDA

View Full Version : Ageism.

cuddlepop
10-Feb-09, 17:56
Was watching that programe on tele last night and we're both feeling discriminated on the grounds of our age now,with regards to job applications.
Its seems only youth have drive and enthusiasm.What do you think?
I think with maturity comes the reality that maybe you cant change the world but you can still do the job.

Oh is trying really hard to get a job and even at 48 he's getting the responses of over qualified,too mundane for your abilitys and the classic,lost CV.:roll:

Even the schemes the government have on the go are for youth employment.

What about the ones almost 50 who cant get a job,where's the help for them.?:(

percy toboggan
10-Feb-09, 19:58
I know - in my 'chosen' field I'll always be able to work....even if it's reduced to casual stuff.

Age and experience seems to be welcomed by a lot of employers.
That said, it's not the greatest job in the world but it beats working, and the cash can be reasonable....like the job I have now is good(ish) money for what I actually do.

I've had twenty eight jobs (ish) of all kinds but driving a truck well, I think you need either a lively mind or a dull one to hack it. I quite like being in my own bubble so to speak.

I need to get over a health hump this year then I'll have less than seven years to see out.By the time I'm ready to retire I'll hapily wave the world of work a not so fond farewell. The younger end are welcome to it.

I feel sorry for younger folk. There are too many graduates. I was listening to a couple on t'radio today. Nobody seems to want to do the more mundane looking jobs these days. It's either flying high or settling back on benefits. Given your location c/p I'm surprised there is much work at all for young, middle aged (like yourself) and old.

It's going to get harder - jobseeking in the next couple of years will be hellish outside the big cities and compromises will be required. When bosses can pick and choose they start to get arrogant...after all we've been here before.

I've packed jobs in on Friday afternoon and got another saturday morning...never rearned lots but always had enough. I'd hate to have to kiss backsides now to get a job.

My 'other half' could be looking at redundancy soon after 25 years with one employer so it's tough times all round. Que sera.

Boss
10-Feb-09, 20:04
Was watching that programe on tele last night and we're both feeling discriminated on the grounds of our age now,with regards to job applications.
Its seems only youth have drive and enthusiasm.What do you think?
I think with maturity comes the reality that maybe you cant change the world but you can still do the job.

Oh is trying really hard to get a job and even at 48 he's getting the responses of over qualified,too mundane for your abilitys and the classic,lost CV.:roll:

Even the schemes the government have on the go are for youth employment.

What about the ones almost 50 who cant get a job,where's the help for them.?:(

I am with you on this one, especially if the person looking for work is qualified.
We are useful people, who could without doubt train a young person for a trade and yet employers see us only as "he/she" is over qualified and therefore, unsuitable (what they really are saying, is that they are unwilling to pay a decent wage to a person who could command a wage).
They would rather take a young person, unskilled and pay them the minimum wage.
In the current climate something has to give, but somehow, I don't see the employers giving in.
I did not see the prgramme, but this is a pet hate of mine, and I am glad you brought it up, I too wonder, what others think? or what those seeking to employ, actually do think.

cuddlepop
10-Feb-09, 20:12
There was a guy on the progrme lastnight who had an agency and he at least was honest eneogh to admit that he wouldnt put forward people of a certain age to prospective employers.

Basically the "agent" was younge and "youthfull" and thats the image he wanted to reflect to his clientele.

Experience didnt matter half as much as age.[disgust]

percy toboggan
10-Feb-09, 20:24
The population is getting greyer all the time...ageing fast.
These 'agents' and employers will have to lump it soon enough.
Similar to those who are resistant to the changes in societs ethnic make-up
they will have to adjust their attitudes . They might also find the general standard of education is higher amongst greyheads....not to mention commitment, real world experience and reliability.

In another twenty years over sixty year olds will out number under thirty year olds something like one and a half to one. They won't all be relaxing at home but out in the labour market competing....especially as pensions will have all but dried up.

Kenn
10-Feb-09, 21:19
Until recently I was an employer and was delighted to offer work to over fifties.
Reliable, hard working,good with customers having both communication skills and manners and a fund of experience and knowledge.
The reverse was largely true of the younger members staff who showed little interest in obtaining skills and knowledge about what they were employed to do and had so little common sense that at times it was more than annoying.
I am not attempting to generalise here as one school leaver we employed took advantage of what was on offer, worked very hard and now has a good job in management with a national company.
Grey hair does n't mean a person does n't have dedication and drive, just that they tend to work with care and precision and that is much better than than rushing at things and then having to re-do them.

Whitewater
10-Feb-09, 23:11
I think it all depends on the type of work you want and where you are. But there does come a time when employers are looking for somebody younger, particularly when they are having to invest a lot of money on training etc. they then prefer somebody who is going to be with them for a while and not going to retire in two or three years.

Bad Manners
11-Feb-09, 09:43
It is a hard thing to cope with at times however I have been fortunate
spent many many years doing one job and a job that I loved then due to a disability had to give it up. to say I was gutted was an understatment.
however I have now retrained and have embarked on another career of which I am very happy I do miss my old job but the new one has boundless scope so it is never to late to change with age comes experience and that counts as for retiring well the way the country is going it may not be an option so never give up hope

hotrod4
11-Feb-09, 09:45
I am guilty of ageism. I dont like "old"people they smell funny and talk about the war!
I dont like "young" people either as I hate the fact that they enjoy themselves too much,when I am jealous because i am at that age when I cant enjoy myself and have to be "sensible".:eek:

percy toboggan
11-Feb-09, 18:05
I am guilty of ageism. I dont like "old"people they smell funny and talk about the war!
:eek:

Jokin' aside as I collected my free dvd 'The First of the Few' about Spitfire designer Mitchell an auldish woman ahead of me in the queue when asked if she wanted the disc herself (Mail buyer) waved the shop assistant away with disdain...as though there was a funny smell under her snout.

I just couldn't let this go and reminded the silly sausage that the film represented one of Great Britain's finest chapters and the fact that she eschewed even a free reminder was reprehensible. She just looked askance and turned away. I fumed briefly, then exchanged smiles with said shop assistant....who was much younger than both of us.

Angela
11-Feb-09, 18:10
Jokin' aside as I collected my free dvd 'The First of the Few' about Spitfire designer Mitchell an auldish woman ahead of me in the queue when asked if she wanted the disc herself (Mail buyer) waved the shop assistant away with disdain...as though there was a funny smell under her snout.

I just couldn't let this go and reminded the silly sausage that the film represented one of Great Britain's finest chapters and the fact that she eschewed even a free reminder was reprehensible. She just looked askance and turned away. I fumed briefly, then exchanged smiles with said shop assistant....who was much younger than both of us.

Maybe the wifie didn't have a DVD player? :lol:

percy toboggan
11-Feb-09, 18:14
Maybe the wifie didn't have a DVD player? :lol:

Maybe she didn't have Grandchildren either....you're right - I mouth off too frequently...albeit it in a reasoned but forthright manner. People do not exchange views often enough though, and I just might have given her summat to ponder....like what was that scruffy schlop on about (working garb)

Ancient Mariner
11-Feb-09, 19:04
I have been in the Marine Industry for the best part of 35 years, with 30 of them sailing but now shore based. UK stopped training young people in the 80s and now there are very few available to follow on from my generation. We cannot get Brits to fill the gap so we take from wherever is available.

The company I work for employs seafarers from all over the world with India being one of our largest officer suppliers. They are now in a siimalar position. With new found affluence in India no one wants to go to sea for months on end.

The world wide marine sector is short of about 12000 suitably trained and qualified officers. Young people want to sit in an office with a PC, go home at nights with no responsibility.

Work hard, get your hands dirty, forget it!

We all want the best for our children and grandchildren, but have we spoiled them too much?

There was no question of my age getting in the way with this job, I was told they would have preferred someone younger but they are not there!

So older workers do have a place in todays workplace and I think it will become more so in the future.

Alice in Blunderland
11-Feb-09, 19:06
Given current climates I think shortly all ages are going to find getting a job difficult. :(

George Brims
11-Feb-09, 21:47
There may be some merit in not hiring us older people. Even with my glasses on I read the title of this thread as "Orgasm".

catran
11-Feb-09, 22:00
I was made redundant and got a very lucrative job at the age of 55 so come on now there is jobs out there and needless to say this job that I got turned out to be the best one ever. So come on there is opportunities out there if one is willing to work hard. and has a good track record with minimal absentism, good team player and not too bothered about the salary. It will come to those that wait........:lol:.

catran
11-Feb-09, 22:02
I was made redundant and got a very lucrative job at the age of 55 so come on now there is jobs out there and needless to say this job that I got turned out to be the best one ever. So come on there is opportunities out there if one is willing to work hard. and has a good track record with minimal absentism, good team player and not too bothered about the salary. It will come to those that wait........:lol:.Older the fiddle better the tune. Experience rather than stupid qualifications I would say. So many coming out of university with this and thAT ...what does it mean. Sad day when a nurse has to have a degree..................but there again no bedpans nowadays... Where is the matrons' that ran there hospitals like clockwork and chastised the young trainees??????

Angel
11-Feb-09, 22:45
At a recent Burns night I asked some sitting opposite, "so young man, what do you do in your spare time" He replied "young man, I have to be 10 years your senior" Only in your mind I replied, as I found out I was older than him!
As people get older they become institutionalised by their surroundings. They think, act and respond within the box. They have to, to fit in with what they see as the norm, the way it should be etc.
Young minds inspire, create, push boundaries until they in turn fall into the box!

Angel

loobyloo
11-Feb-09, 23:27
I get the feeling that employers don't look for what you've got: they look for reasons to discard you because they have too many applicants.
Too young, might get pregnant, too old, over qualified blah blah blah. It's so difficult to get past the application process, to get to an interview to prove what you can do.
I feel sorry for everyone who is out of work in the current climate, cos it's a buyer's market.

Whitewater
12-Feb-09, 00:26
There may be some merit in not hiring us older people. Even with my glasses on I read the title of this thread as "Orgasm".

Ahh Haaaa George!!! perhaps us older guys think of that word too often, and it jumps out at us all the time. I wonder why???

Kodiak
12-Feb-09, 00:42
I have suffered from Ageism all my Working Life.

In the Early 60's if I applied for a Job it was, "Not enough Experience and you are too Young for this Position"

Then after many years of work and I was made redundant from the Lighthouse Board it was, "Sorry we are looking for someone younger or you have too much Experience"

In actual fact you can never win so I am glad in one way I am unable to work and that I am also retired. At least I don't now get rejected because of age.

George Brims
12-Feb-09, 01:19
Ahh Haaaa George!!! perhaps us older guys think of that word too often, and it jumps out at us all the time. I wonder why???
I wonder too. Do you remember what it means?