PDA

View Full Version : Whisky Band Website

Deemac
11-Feb-06, 01:41
Hi all,
Just thought you might like to know that the Band Whisky's new website has finally been finished. Sorry for the HUGE delay. Constructive comments would be most welcome.

Visit: www.whisky-band.co.uk

Hope you like what you see/hear

Deemac

ice box
11-Feb-06, 01:53
Great site deemac.

Bobinovich
11-Feb-06, 11:32
Looks great D - any chance of some pics enlarging when clicked though? - it'd be nice to see some a bit closer up in the photo's section.

MadPict
11-Feb-06, 12:02
Might I suggest you have the option to view a non-flash version also? I can't get the page to load properly due to the flash animation.

tenabowla
11-Feb-06, 14:33
D

Excellent, very bright and informative. I will visit again.

Cheers

Jim

Saveman
11-Feb-06, 15:02
Good work Deemac!

Deemac
11-Feb-06, 18:29
Might I suggest you have the option to view a non-flash version also? I can't get the page to load properly due to the flash animation.

Madpict
Sorry, I'm a Flash man only!! I did encode to Flash V8 (latest version) so you may need to download the lastest flash update for your browser. It's fairly universal.

Deemac

MadPict
11-Feb-06, 18:51
I have to admit to disliking the use of flash in website design - I only have to see the first few seconds and it is guaranteed to drive me away - so your message won't get across. I am not alone in this feeling either.

http://people.westminstercollege.edu/students/d-b1649/opinions/avoid_flash.html

Deemac
11-Feb-06, 22:05
Yes, I've come across this anti-flash sentiment before. Such a pity.

It's similar to the Apple verses PC brigade (Tribal infantilism I say!!) Who cares what program a website is designed in as long as it works as a communication of ideas, entertains and informs.

I will interpretate your notion as something similar to a 'punter filter'. It succeeds in removing a mindset of limited and bias that I would rather not engage with.

As a professional graphic designer I am tired of 'geek' non-skilled website designers who end up producing a website that resembles a typical telephone directory page with a few 'cute' rotating animated gif images thrown in as an after thought, to visually spice up nothing more than a badly formatted Word file!! (Underlined upper case Times New Roman all the way - centred - of course!!!)

Aaaaghh . . . that's better (sorry to rant) I'll feel normal again very soon.

Deemac

elaine
11-Feb-06, 22:17
Am lovin' your colours! It is a cheery and fun-looking website.

MadPict
11-Feb-06, 22:26
Deemac -
Please don't take my post the wrong way. You asked for "constructive comments" after all.

I read on a web developers forum a post on the very subject of flash web pages -
"People don't hate Flash. But the problem is that Flash works in its own space in the browser. Normal browser controls (the back button, bookmarks, deep links, search, text size, printing, etc) don't work. And remember that these controls are in the users domain, and affect usability negatively.

The other problem with Flash is that people who develop it are often graphically-oriented and not information-oriented (the web is an information-focussed medium, after all). That often leads to sites with lots of 'bells and whistles' where the information content can be poor or at worst non-existent. 'Television envy' was a phenomenon years ago but we ought to be past that."

You state you're a graphic designer so that seems to reflect the second paragraph.

Sorry if you don't want the likes of me visiting your site - shame really as I might have become a fan of your band...

And as a Mac user I guess I am now persona non grata......

Deemac
12-Feb-06, 00:09
Madpict

I do take your points. I have also seen those Flash sites with graphical fireworks going off on the entry to every page (usually proceeded with some graphical bar element/excuse to amuse while waiting for the page to load).

I hope I've avoided these cliches. It's just every website that I do (there all flash based) someone always comments that they hate flash websites and won't go thier because their browser didn't play ball. (Active X blocks can also be a pain)

There's always also the punter who's still on a BBC micro with a monitor set to 800 x 600 (256 colours - of course!!) and a 14.4Kbs dial up modem, complaining about download times and the text is too small. . .!

I've taken the slightly arrogant stance on not dumbing down any more. (Get broadband, 19" LCD's (2off) set to 1280 x 1024 (at least) with more colours than are possible for anyone ever to see in a lifetime)

Thanks for taking your time to comment (I knew you had be an apple head!! - Its in their very nature . . . )

Deemac

MadPict
12-Feb-06, 00:47
Now you're stereotyping me.... :(

Deemac
12-Feb-06, 01:46
Anyway, did any of the music grab you. . . . . ? Sorry, but Miles Davis had a more pressing engagement that day!!