PDA

View Full Version : A Snowy Thank You

WickLad08
10-Feb-09, 15:32
Just thought I would say a thank you to the people who sometimes go un-noticed carrying on with their work whatever the weather.

I was sittin at the window this afternoon watchin the heavy snow when I noticed the council street cleaner stuggling to push his trolley up Bignold Park and collect our rubbish even in this weather.

Well Done!

Tugmistress
10-Feb-09, 15:34
Brilliant sentiment wicklad! and yes i totally agree, well done to all those that carry on regardless :D

changilass
10-Feb-09, 15:35
Cracking thread wicklad.

A big thanks from us too.

weeksider
10-Feb-09, 15:52
Just seen him push his barrow up louisburgh st up passed the cars sticking @ Scout hall hill and into Green rd , a little yellow council van too , cars starting to get stuck here NOW
[lol]

MadPict
10-Feb-09, 16:55
Sounds like the poor chap could do with having a skidoo to tow his barrow in severe weather!

But yes, many other folk continue to work on through the bad weather. Not just the emergency services but the gritter/plough drivers, breakdown services and numerous others...

Shame their sterling efforts are sometimes thwarted by the incompetence of their managers.

Boss
10-Feb-09, 17:43
Just thought I would say a thank you to the people who sometimes go un-noticed carrying on with their work whatever the weather.

I was sittin at the window this afternoon watchin the heavy snow when I noticed the council street cleaner stuggling to push his trolley up Bignold Park and collect our rubbish even in this weather.

Well Done!

Ditto! we don't appreciate them enough until days like these.

Average
10-Feb-09, 17:46
Sounds like the poor chap could do with having a skidoo to tow his barrow in severe weather!

But yes, many other folk continue to work on through the bad weather. Not just the emergency services but the gritter/plough drivers, breakdown services and numerous others...

Shame their sterling efforts are sometimes thwarted by the incompetence of their managers.

Special thanks to the crew of hard working guys I saw erecting another wind turbine today, must have freezing but they pressed on. ;)

changilass
10-Feb-09, 17:55
A very big thank you to the drivers of the dounreay gritters, they have done a great job and the road is cleared of snow into Thurso. Still be careful driving out there though as the temps were down as low as -5.

dirdyweeker
10-Feb-09, 19:03
......and our postmen for trudging through this cold and snowy weather. Thankyou to them.

trix
10-Feb-09, 20:13

i should think so too.....its lek any ither job, ye hev til take 'e rough wi 'e smooth ;)

'e whole toon cana come til a stand still choost cos a bit o' snow :roll:

domino
10-Feb-09, 20:45
What about all those lovely people who go out doing the shopping regardless of the weather?

WickLad08
10-Feb-09, 20:46
Shopping for yourself is hardly a job that requires praise

WickLad08
10-Feb-09, 20:48
i should think so too.....its lek any ither job, ye hev til take 'e rough wi 'e smooth ;)

Are people in this town incapable of praising good instead of just expecting people to do it. We try and do some good and show some praise and we just get posts like that. Nice of you to show your colours.

golach
10-Feb-09, 20:50
Are people in this town incapable of praising good instead of just expecting people to do it. We try and do some good and show some praise and we just get posts like that. Nice of you to show your colours.
Well said Wicklad, I totally agree, it costs nothing to give a little praise.

changilass
10-Feb-09, 20:57

I take it you totally discourage any one saying anything in praise of the work you do???

After all, thats what you get paid for.

sam
10-Feb-09, 20:59

I couldnt agree more with you Wicklad08, Its about time more folk on here took a leaf out of your book and gave these folks a break & a bit of praise after all what does it cost to say thanks, I'm bloody sure they wouldnt want to do their jobs, One thing i have noriced on the org is that a hell of a lot of folk are quick to condem the postmen/women, binmen and such like when things dont go their way, but hey give them a bit of praise and its like a crimal offence to some of these folk [disgust]

so to everyone who has to work out in this weather good one you coz i for one would hate to have to be in your shoe's, I'v worked outside in the past and its hell in this weather.

trix
10-Feb-09, 21:26
Are people in this town incapable of praising good instead of just expecting people to do it.

im very capable o' gien praise til people who desereve'ed, however, i do expect people til do their jobs....
if 'e gadgy wis doin it voluntarily then i wid hev all 'e praise is 'e world....but he's no, he's getin paid til do a job.
am prity sure he wis aware o' 'e weather conditions when he took 'e job on. 'e way things are ifanow he should feel lucky that he's got a job!!

We try and do some good and show some praise and we just get posts like that. .

do ye think ye are doin guid by commentin on caithness.org that ye want til gie praise til 'e dude that cleans 'e street?? i find it all a bit patrionising really :roll:

ye wid o' done better if ye took yer gaze fie 'e window an went til help 'e guy struggle wi his cairty.

Nice of you to show your colours.

what colours 'at lek? :confused

dogman
10-Feb-09, 22:05
Its good to see peoples attitudes to work in these conditions.

I think its good to hear that poeple arent put off by some snow, it says a lot, it was only a week ago that england was coming to a standstill because of it.

Well done to all who soldiered on.

trix
10-Feb-09, 23:14
I take it you totally discourage any one saying anything in praise of the work you do???

After all, thats what you get paid for.

i can hardly even relate til 'iss post changi....:roll:

when ma auld cheil wis workin 'e ither day fie 5 o' clock in 'e mornin til 8 o' clock at night.....he didna want thanked...he wanted paid ;)

'e street cleaner hes got 'e easiest job in 'e world. ye didna think til thank him when he's goin aboot in his shorts an teeshirt in 'e summertime.

bein a council worker...he'l be getin paid weel enough ;)

changilass
10-Feb-09, 23:32
What is it you can't relate to, its pretty self explanatory.

If you don't like folks thanking others I was just asking if you were against others thanking you.

Not rocket science.

WickLad08
10-Feb-09, 23:38
Just ignore her. All she is doing is showing complete ignorance and a lack of care or attention to others.

trix
10-Feb-09, 23:42
What is it you can't relate to, its pretty self explanatory.

If you don't like folks thanking others I was just asking if you were against others thanking you.

Not rocket science.

its yer sarcasm that is lost on me....:roll:

i find ye most patronisin o' them all changi...yer thankin 'e gritter drivers for clearin 'e rods???

whatever next?? :roll:

golach
10-Feb-09, 23:44
yer thankin 'e gritter drivers for clearin 'e rods???

whatever next?? :roll:
Why Not??? Its nice to be nice

trix
10-Feb-09, 23:47
Just ignore her. All she is doing is showing complete ignorance and a lack of care or attention to others.

i find yer attitude highly insultin weiklad...an very immature. no in 'e least bit surprised actually - its quite within yer norm.

am intitled til ma opinion as much as ye are....

ye may feel it nessessary til thank 'e road cleaner, gritter drivers, etc :roll: but i dina...its what i pay ma taxes for.

feel free til spread 'e love but...dina object when i disagree....one world...different opinions.

ye wid do weel til remember 'at ;)

changilass
10-Feb-09, 23:50
I would thank you for your repy but it would be lost on you

trix
10-Feb-09, 23:53
lekly aye....

WickLad08
10-Feb-09, 23:54
Do bar staff get a thank you when they serve someone a drink? Do shop assistant get a thank you when they help a customer? In polite society yes they do. So what exactly is so wrong with thanking those people who clean up our rubbish or make our roads safe or deliver our mail? Just because these jobs are not customer facing it doesn't mean they shouldn't be thanked for it!!!!

If you are up for an argument then go for it as nobody wants to dignify your utter nonsense comments with a response.

Noticed you are out on a limb here and on your own. Me thinks the only person that will back you up is Gizmo but no surprise there really is it. So you crack at it and we will continue to appreciate the people who do good work for the community and make sure the streets which you "tramp" along are kept clean and safe for everyone.

I rest my case.

trix
11-Feb-09, 00:16
Do bar staff get a thank you when they serve someone a drink? Do shop assistant get a thank you when they help a customer? In polite society yes they do. So what exactly is so wrong with thanking those people who clean up our rubbish or make our roads safe or deliver our mail? Just because these jobs are not customer facing it doesn't mean they shouldn't be thanked for it!!!!.

nothin wrong wi thankin people weiklad....we thank people all 'e time as it shows guid manners. its yer beeg 'girls blouse' attitute that i find so patronising.

''ye wis watchin 'e manie strugglin wi hes trolly'' :roll:

do ye no think 'e guy can cope wi his job lek....that he's bin doin for season efter season...

If you are up for an argument then go for it as nobody wants to dignify your utter nonsense comments with a response.

yer 'e one thats arguin, no me. iv disagreed wi ye...do ye know even ken 'e difference? :roll:

Noticed you are out on a limb here and on your own. Me thinks the only person that will back you up is Gizmo but no surprise there really is it. So you crack at it and we will continue to appreciate the people who do good work for the community and make sure the streets which you "tramp" along are kept clean and safe for everyone.

I rest my case.

on a limb? do ye think i need some sort o' support or backup til voice ma opinion? am a beeg girl weiklad, i can manage masel thanks ;)
...an what the hell hes gizmo got til do wi 'iss conversation? i da recall him postin on 'iss thread!!

appreciate whoever the hell ye want....

ye do pay tax dont ye??

golach
11-Feb-09, 00:17
I would like to say a big thank you to the Bus Drivers, who braved the weather today, to get all the Dounreay workers to their work, and dinna feel bad lads because the road conditions made you late this afternoon, your doing a grand job, hope you manage to get the Night Shift there in time.

trix
11-Feb-09, 00:21
I would like to say a big thank you to the Bus Drivers, who braved the weather today, to get all the Dounreay workers to their work.

did 'e bus drivers hev a choice lek or is it written in their job description, as part o' their employment contract? :roll:

golach
11-Feb-09, 00:24
did 'e bus drivers hev a choice lek or is it written in their job description, as part o' their employment contract? :roll:
Who cares!!!!.........whats up with you?? If I want to thank the drivers who got my pals and relatives to and from their work today, why should you have too stick a negative comment on the thread?

WickLad08
11-Feb-09, 00:27
Shes just rude. Leave her to it. Don't rise to her. She's only upset because it's me that started the tread and she doesn't like me. Am really not bothered.

trix
11-Feb-09, 00:38
Who cares!!!!.........whats up with you?? If I want to thank the drivers who got my pals and relatives to and from their work today, why should you have too stick a negative comment on the thread?

nothin up wi me golach...ma friend :Razz
ye go rite aheid an thank whoever ye want....its a public forum.

but am prity sure if it wis up til 'e guys themsels, or they werna getin paid they wid be tucked up at home wi their tidy wifes an a hot cup o' tea...

unfortunately if ye da work ye da get paid.

yer all thankin people for what, doin what their paid til do...!! ye'l be thankin 'e tax man next!!

am gled ye's are all feelin 'e love :roll:

TBH
11-Feb-09, 00:38
It's all relevant. If people wish to thank others for their endeavours in this weather then that's up to them.
We appreciate all sorts of professions for the jobs they do, nothing wrong with that.
Yes, they are just doing their job and are paid for it but what harm do the words "thank you" do?

Venture
11-Feb-09, 00:40

Trix is far from rude or ignorant and when it comes to care and attention to others (particularly while in the course of her job) then she is in a class of her own.

To insult someone you don't even know just because they disagree with what you have posted is in my opinion very bad manners and totally uncalled for. Why are you bringing in the name of another orger who hasn't even posted on this thread but has had a few run ins with you on this forum? Hidden agenda perhaps.

trix
11-Feb-09, 00:43
none at'all TBH...as ma 'friend' stated earlier 'its nice til be nice' ;)

it wis 'e first post that i found really condescendin....watchin 'e' guy 'strugglin' wi his trolly' fie his window.

thanks very much for getin paid til pick up wur litter.....:roll:

they'l be thankin 'e litter bugs that are keepin him in a job next :lol:

golach
11-Feb-09, 00:44
ye'l be thankin 'e tax man next!!
And why not Trix, I worked for Her Majesty's Customs and Excise for 33 years, and they pay me my pension, for doing a good job of collecting the revenue, chasing and capturing, junkies, drug smugglers , bootleggers and Vat dodgers, I thank the Tax man a lot

TBH
11-Feb-09, 00:47
Trix is far from rude or ignorant and when it comes to care and attention to others (particularly while in the course of her job) then she is in a class of her own.

To insult someone you don't even know just because they disagree with what you have posted is in my opinion very bad manners and totally uncalled for. Why are you bringing in the name of another orger who hasn't even posted on this thread but has had a few run ins with you on this forum? Hidden agenda perhaps.
That's part of forum life, Venture; people disagree. Trix may not look for praise for whatever job she does as that's what she's paid for but there is nothing wong with others wishing to pass on their appreciation.

changilass
11-Feb-09, 00:51

You really shouldnt have typed this Venture, Trix does not like folk getting any sort of praise for doing the job they are paid for, I am surprised she hasn't publicly asked you herself to remove it.

TBH
11-Feb-09, 00:52
none at'all TBH...as ma 'friend' stated earlier 'its nice til be nice' ;)

it wis 'e first post that i found really condescendin....watchin 'e' guy 'strugglin' wi his trolly' fie his window.

thanks very much for getin paid til pick up wur litter.....:roll:

they'l be thankin 'e litter bugs that are keepin him in a job next :lol:Well the person would have been struggling with their trolley in the weather you are getting up there at the moment but I doubt the statement was condescending seeing as the OP was praising the worker.
Would you say that a paid worker should not be be praised for the job they do?

trix
11-Feb-09, 01:02
Shes just rude. Leave her to it. Don't rise to her. She's only upset because it's me that started the tread and she doesn't like me. Am really not bothered.

weiklad...i hev never met ye before in ma life...i widna ken yer face if ye magically appeared in ma sittin room 'iss very menid.

what makes ye think i da lek ye? i dda even ken ye!! iv never even been til yer pub when ye ran'ed....for no particular reason except that i da go oot drinkin.

dina think for one second that i da lek ye...i ken absolutely nothin aboot ye...maybe yer a really fine guy, i da ken lek.

'e fact that ye'v taken ma comments so much til heart tells me that ye are quite a sensitive soul, wi some major insecuriteis.

ye should see aboot getin some councillin or some kind o therapy....da want til go thro all yer life carryin yon beeg chip on yer shoulder/thinkin everyone disna lek ye.

im sorry if ye think am rude but am actually a really nice person...:Razz

Venture
11-Feb-09, 01:03
That's part of forum life, Venture; people disagree. Trix may not look for praise for whatever job she does as that's what she's paid for but there is nothing wong with others wishing to pass on their appreciation.

Yes I agree with you, people disagree, but they can do so without the insults.

I have no objection to those who wish to pass on their thanks. I for one appreciate essential and emergency services who do their job no matter what the weather.

Venture
11-Feb-09, 01:08
You really shouldnt have typed this Venture, Trix does not like folk getting any sort of praise for doing the job they are paid for, I am surprised she hasn't publicly asked you herself to remove it.

She definitely won't like it Changi. :lol: Tough, I'm just showing my appreciation from a personal point of view.;) Keep up the good work Trix.

trix
11-Feb-09, 01:16
And why not Trix, I worked for Her Majesty's Customs and Excise for 33 years, and they pay me my pension, for doing a good job of collecting the revenue, chasing and capturing, junkies, drug smugglers , bootleggers and Vat dodgers, I thank the Tax man a lot

guid for ye golach...nothin lek a bit o' job satisfaction eh? ye sit back an take it easy, enjoy yer retirement....reap what ye sowed, so til speak....yer work is done ;)

'at wisna really what i wis meanin tho....

scorrie
11-Feb-09, 01:18
I would tend to agree with Trix here. There is nothing wrong with thanking someone if you feel like doing so, but doing the job you are paid to do is hardly something that is going to see anyone honoured by the Queen come year's end. It's a drop of snow for goodness sake, hardly an earthquake!! How often do we get snow here?

Let's face it, people are, in the main, doing their job because they have no choice. People who work outdoors have to face the elements. Put yourself in the scenario where your postie decided NOT to deliver the mail today because it was snowing, or the road sweeper leaving a mess on the street because he felt a bit too cold to work. Would you happily laugh it off? I seriously doubt it. It is far more likely that you would be on the phone complaining after five minutes.

Thinking of another thread that mentioned bank bonuses, I have to mention my own bonus scheme. It is called Job Retention. This consists of doing the job you are paid to do, properly and to the best of your ability. That way, you keep your job.

Postie leaving sorting office, Wick, today:-

"I am just going out now boss, I may be gone some time!!"

"OK Oates, if you're not back by four, I'll send the Huskies out"

MadPict
11-Feb-09, 01:22
...just because they disagree with what you have posted...

Is that what she is trying to say?:roll:

trix
11-Feb-09, 01:24
Well the person would have been struggling with their trolley in the weather you are getting up there at the moment but I doubt the statement was condescending seeing as the OP was praising the worker.
Would you say that a paid worker should not be be praised for the job they do?

what makes ye think 'e guy wis strugglin....cos 'e window watcher said so?? :roll:

there wis not a breath o'wind aday, it was really, really nice an calm in weik. cowld lek, but am sure 'e picker upper wis wrapped up weel.
'e trolly that 'e guy pushes, or pulls hes got wheels on'ed. a bit lek a pram really.

im prity sure that 'e guy hes built up a wee bit o' muscle fie pushin his trolly day in....day oot!!!

i do think its nice til praise people who do paid work...but not in such a patronisin manner. 'e guy may be quite offended if he read that he was seen 'strugglin wi his trolly' by some window watcher....:roll:

trix
11-Feb-09, 01:27
Keep up the good work Trix.

thanks venture...a genuine piece o' praise...that i accept most humbly ;)

TBH
11-Feb-09, 01:36
thanks venture...a genuine piece o' praise...that i accept most humbly ;)So you can accept praise but it is not allowed to be given to others? Window-watchers, that's quite condescending is it not?

Foxy
11-Feb-09, 01:43
For goodness sake wicklad08 was only thanking one of the many people who have to work in all weathers and do a good job, if ye dinna like it dinna read the thread. :roll: I for one have to work in all weathers i don't have an option as i'm a farmer and the animals have to be fed before you start i love my job and don't want to do anything else.

trix
11-Feb-09, 01:47
So you can accept praise but it is not allowed to be given to others? Window-watchers, that's quite condescending is it not?

aye, 'ed is aye...quite condescendin. 'at seems til be 'e jist o' 'iss thread....:roll:

'e work that i carry oot affects venture personally....she thanks me on a daily basis....no choost when its cowld ootside or if she thinks am 'strugglin'.

il stop 'e street sweeper on 'e street tomorrow on 'e way til ma work an pass on all yer comments ;)

am sure he'l appreciated....am fairly getin til grips wi 'e sarcasm, eh changi? :lol:

changilass
11-Feb-09, 01:57
yer 'e one thats arguin, no me. iv disagreed wi ye...do ye know even ken 'e difference? :roll:

It takes two to argue and you have more posts in this thread than anyone else, so who is doing most of the arguing

...am fairly getin til grips wi 'e sarcasm, eh changi? :lol:

Why bring me back into it, I had been out of the thread for a page lol

I do however, think you need to let the rest of us know what is and isnt appropriate for the forums, save us all getting fed up of you jumping on folks just cos its not to your liking.

trix
11-Feb-09, 02:06
It takes two to argue and you have more posts in this thread than anyone else, so who is doing most of the arguing

Why bring me back into it, I had been out of the thread for a page lol

I do however, think you need to let the rest of us know what is and isnt appropriate for the forums, save us all getting fed up of you jumping on folks just cos its not to your liking.

when ye say, ''save us all getin fed up wi ye ...blah blah blah'' do ye speak for all 'e members on 'e org lek....or choost yersel an yer little cleek :roll:

ye sure do think alot o' yersel!! [lol]

who's arguin...choost statin facts.....! im allowed til 'discuss' ma reasons why i disagree am i no...?

ye'v obviously got some interest in 'iss thread by time ye keep comin back....

no need til thank me for keepin ye entertained ;)

Fran
11-Feb-09, 04:02
The person i would like to thank is the young paper boy who comes out in all weathers like today, in the dark and the snow and cold while I am still in bed mostly, before school , so that I can have a newspaper to read with my breakfast.

Aaldtimer
11-Feb-09, 04:57
..."The person i would like to thank is the young paper boy who comes out in all weathers like today"...

Bejaysus! He's early on the go!:D

WickLad08
11-Feb-09, 09:56
He was struggling because he had to keep taking a run at pushing his trolley through foot deep snow in bignold park and in the middle of a heavy snow shower. If I wasnt baby sitting I might have gone out and given him a hand but thanking someone is hardly any reason for having to explain myself.

trix
11-Feb-09, 10:02
He was struggling because he had to keep taking a run at pushing his trolley through foot deep snow in bignold park and in the middle of a heavy snow shower. If I wasnt baby sitting I might have gone out and given him a hand but thanking someone is hardly any reason for having to explain myself.

how do ye no that he wisna hevin great fun playin in 'e snow?
a feet deep in snow?? 'iss is weik yer talkin aboot is it no?

did ye e hear him sayin that he wis strugglin....?

very assumptious o' ye weiklad. dina worry, il ask him 'e next time i see him what his views are in workon when its snowy ;)

ett23
11-Feb-09, 10:09

Sounds like he really was struggling in the snow. Have you ever tried pushing a pram through deep snow trix? I can assure you it's no fun. I'd imagine the trolley they push about is even heavier and more cumbersome than a pram! ;)

Gizmo
11-Feb-09, 10:28
Do bar staff get a thank you when they serve someone a drink? Do shop assistant get a thank you when they help a customer? In polite society yes they do. So what exactly is so wrong with thanking those people who clean up our rubbish or make our roads safe or deliver our mail? Just because these jobs are not customer facing it doesn't mean they shouldn't be thanked for it!!!!

I rest my case.

Keep me out of your mundane sympathy vote ramblings, as i've said to you many times, if you have something to say to me then come and say it to my face instead of using the Org as cover.

Venture
11-Feb-09, 10:47
Is that what she is trying to say?:roll:

..........[quote=trix;500733]

im allowed til 'discuss' ma reasons why i disagree am i no...?

nightowl
11-Feb-09, 11:21
As a "domestic operative/housekeeper" for many years, I rarely get praise for hoovering well, making a great job of the dusting or getting a pile of washing ironed in record time! So when kids say "that was a lovely tea, mum", it gives me a wee boost. Appreciation is a wonderful gift and so easy to give and if we admit it, lovely to receive.
So remember, Wicklad, next time your mum makes a tasty tea, give her a big hug and help her wi the dishes!:lol:

acameron
11-Feb-09, 19:29
what makes ye think 'e guy wis strugglin....cos 'e window watcher said so?? :roll:

there wis not a breath o'wind aday, it was really, really nice an calm in weik. cowld lek, but am sure 'e picker upper wis wrapped up weel.
'e trolly that 'e guy pushes, or pulls hes got wheels on'ed. a bit lek a pram really.

im prity sure that 'e guy hes built up a wee bit o' muscle fie pushin his trolly day in....day oot!!!

i do think its nice til praise people who do paid work...but not in such a patronisin manner. 'e guy may be quite offended if he read that he was seen 'strugglin wi his trolly' by some window watcher....:roll:

On behalf of that guy pushing the barrow , I would like thank everyone who has praised him doing his job. I know the job is long and monotonous, and sometimes thankless. Its nothing like pushing a pram and on even on the best of days muscles do ache, but so do other jobs as well. Im sure he knows he gets paid for it, otherwise what else is he be doing it for?
I am also sure that people have stopped him in the street to thank him, and I am also certain that while he is getting thanked by the general public only an ignorant person would butt in and say "excuse me, he gets paid for doing that no need to thank him."
Nothing patronising or wrong in saying "thank you".
BTW I wish to thank everyone who has thanked me while I was on the barrow in Thurso, it was very much appreciated.

hotrod4
11-Feb-09, 20:00
lekly aye....
I'll back you up Trix!!!![lol] Cannae hev wer local witchy wifey gettin picked on by some wee upstart of a lad can we?:lol:

domino
11-Feb-09, 20:49
Shopping for yourself is hardly a job that requires praise
I think you missed the point

mulac
11-Feb-09, 20:57
Did noone go and give the boy a hand to push his trolleys ?
Shame on you !
:Razz

changilass
11-Feb-09, 21:00
There is quite a few folks missed the point on this thread.

It says a lot about some people when they think you should be apologising for thanking someone.

I was brought up to be grateful if someone did something, regardless of wether or not they were being paid for it and will be damned if I will apologise for having manners.

If you don't like it tough, get over yourself, I have.

scorrie
11-Feb-09, 21:29
On behalf of that guy pushing the barrow , I would like thank everyone who has praised him doing his job. I know the job is long and monotonous, and sometimes thankless. Its nothing like pushing a pram and on even on the best of days muscles do ache, but so do other jobs as well. Im sure he knows he gets paid for it, otherwise what else is he be doing it for?
I am also sure that people have stopped him in the street to thank him, and I am also certain that while he is getting thanked by the general public only an ignorant person would butt in and say "excuse me, he gets paid for doing that no need to thank him."
Nothing patronising or wrong in saying "thank you".
BTW I wish to thank everyone who has thanked me while I was on the barrow in Thurso, it was very much appreciated.

Can I just take this one step further and thank everyone, who thanked everyone else for thanking the guy pushing the barrow?

It's probably unnecessary to thank me for my sentiment here, but, as we are showing such a spirit of bonhomie, it would probably be unmannerly if I was left out ;)

trix
11-Feb-09, 23:28
lets thank everyone that manages til get thro their days work...:roll:

speakin aboot praise...im choost home fie minglin wi 'e hob nobs in akergill toower. pickin up an award for ma guid work...;)

cana say i seen 'e scaffy cairty guy tho - shame...ye's will ken who til nominate next year ;)

Dadie
12-Feb-09, 01:01
I have mingled with the nobs at achergill castle, and some of them are a ill mannered bunch to say the least, in my time, but I, still have the manners to thank people who open doors for me and to give the binmen a summit extra at christmas and I can see who is the most grateful for the little gestures!
its not the nobs up from the south at achergill or for the fishing or shooting they think its their right!
ITS THE SMALL MAN TRYING TO MAKE THEIR LIVING doing what they do day in day out THAT APPRECIATES THE PRAISE!!

Fran
12-Feb-09, 02:13
..."The person i would like to thank is the young paper boy who comes out in all weathers like today"...

Bejaysus! He's early on the go!:D

I dont understand your comment at all. Yes he is out early, does his paper round before he goes to school, and i appreciate that as i know they dont get paid much. what did you mean?

butterfly
12-Feb-09, 03:33
I have mingled with the nobs at achergill castle, and some of them are a ill mannered bunch to say the least, in my time, but I, still have the manners to thank people who open doors for me and to give the binmen a summit extra at christmas and I can see who is the most grateful for the little gestures!
its not the nobs up from the south at achergill or for the fishing or shooting they think its their right!
ITS THE SMALL MAN TRYING TO MAKE THEIR LIVING doing what they do day in day out THAT APPRECIATES THE PRAISE!!

great comment dadie,yer hearts in the right place i see

Aaldtimer
12-Feb-09, 04:18
I dont understand your comment at all. Yes he is out early, does his paper round before he goes to school, and i appreciate that as i know they dont get paid much. what did you mean?

Just check out the time of the original post!;)

hotrod4
12-Feb-09, 07:41
I am all for thanking people who go ABOVE and BEYOND their normal remit.There are many out there who do,but I dont think thanking someone for just doing what they are paid to do is not the same thing.
Maybe the bin man wouldnt have had such a hard job if some of his colleagues had sanded the pavement like they are supposed to?
Obviously his job is made harder by the state of the pavements that we pay taxes to keep sanded!!!

I am going in on my day off can I get a Blue Peter badge too!!![lol]

changilass
12-Feb-09, 13:20
Hotrod you would definately have got a blue peter badge, but no one likes folks that blow their on trumpet so they took it back again.

Ash
12-Feb-09, 14:18
i think the gravediggers should get a pat on the back, my dad has done this job for over 30years in all kinds of weather and this week theyve been extremely busy they do a fantastic job and keep the cemetry looking lovely and tidy

bobandag16
12-Feb-09, 14:23

Well Done!
highland council carers . some had 2 walk. much thanks .where needed most . thurso area

crashbandicoot1979
12-Feb-09, 15:36
i think the gravediggers should get a pat on the back, my dad has done this job for over 30years in all kinds of weather and this week theyve been extremely busy they do a fantastic job and keep the cemetry looking lovely and tidy

Agreed, they often go well above and beyond the call of duty and no doubt get little thanks for it.

gleeber
12-Feb-09, 17:13
I might as well take the opportunity as well to thank some folks.
I would like to thank my family without whom I wouldnt exist. Winston Churchill for being the greatest man I could never vote for and John Sinclair who changed his name to Thurso and raised my hackles. I would further like to thank John Wayne, Audie Murphy, Dan Dare Marvelman and detective inspector Jane Tenyson for reasons that would mean nothing to anyone else. More thanks are directed towards all public servants without some whom my council tax would go much further. A special thank you must go to the dustcart kiddies whose ability to put a spurt on and operate a job and knock scheme means they are sometimes home in the house before I even sit down to my lunch. ;) Well done chaps. Aslo Wicklad whose compassion made this thread possible and all those who supported him and made me wonder had i died and gone to Disneyland. Last but not least a special thanks to God without whose patience and love non of this nonsense would be possible.:(

scorrie
12-Feb-09, 18:38
I would like to thank my family without whom I wouldnt exist. Winston Churchill for being the greatest man I could never vote for and John Sinclair who changed his name to Thurso and raised my hackles. I would further like to thank John Wayne, Audie Murphy, Dan Dare Marvelman and detective inspector Jane Tenyson for reasons that would mean nothing to anyone else. More thanks are directed towards all public servants without some whom my council tax would go much further. A special thank you must go to the dustcart kiddies whose ability to put a spurt on and operate a job and knock scheme means they are sometimes home in the house before I even sit down to my lunch. ;) Well done chaps. Aslo Wicklad whose compassion made this thread possible and all those who supported him and made me wonder had i died and gone to Disneyland. Last but not least a special thanks to God without whose patience and love non of this nonsense would be possible.

Hey gleeber, I had a word with the Council about making your Council Tax go further. They have agreed to go low tech in order to save money and tell me that this wifie starts next Monday:-

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i237/scorrie57/lady_sweeping.jpg

This also eliminates the need for unwieldy carts that get stuck in the snow ;)

WickLad08
12-Feb-09, 18:57
I thought it would be nice to give a little bit of thanks to people who worked hard for the community but since trix feels that she did not see the street sweeper in such an upperclass toffy place as Ackergill Tower it now seems to have been divided by class. I wonder if she had the dignity to thank the staff at the tower for making her evening memorable otherwise without which she would have received her award for her good work on the street which would have probably been coated in litter as she doesn't appreciate the people who go around and pick it up.

acameron
12-Feb-09, 19:56
I would like to thank my family without whom I wouldnt exist. Winston Churchill for being the greatest man I could never vote for and John Sinclair who changed his name to Thurso and raised my hackles. I would further like to thank John Wayne, Audie Murphy, Dan Dare Marvelman and detective inspector Jane Tenyson for reasons that would mean nothing to anyone else. More thanks are directed towards all public servants without some whom my council tax would go much further. A special thank you must go to the dustcart kiddies whose ability to put a spurt on and operate a job and knock scheme means they are sometimes home in the house before I even sit down to my lunch. ;) Well done chaps. Aslo Wicklad whose compassion made this thread possible and all those who supported him and made me wonder had i died and gone to Disneyland. Last but not least a special thanks to God without whose patience and love non of this nonsense would be possible.:(

I will pass on your heartfelt thanks to the "dustcart kiddies" and I am sure they will make sure your bin is especially looked after. God bless mate :)

trix
12-Feb-09, 21:44
I thought it would be nice to give a little bit of thanks to people who worked hard for the community but since trix feels that she did not see the street sweeper in such an upperclass toffy place as Ackergill Tower it now seems to have been divided by class. I wonder if she had the dignity to thank the staff at the tower for making her evening memorable otherwise without which she would have received her award for her good work on the street which would have probably been coated in litter as she doesn't appreciate the people who go around and pick it up.

i can hardly make oot what yer sayin....when ye went til 'e school did they teach ye all aboot full stops an commas?
if ye insist on makin anither post involvin me, then at least be clear aboot what yer sayin :roll:

divided by class....? ye are such an idiot!!

i mayna ken ye weiklad but am no lekin ye very much....no only do i find ye so, so patronisin but i da think ye are very bright either.

an choost for 'e record i da drop litter weiklad...ever....an i pay ma taxes....

i ask ye again...do ye??? or do ye sit on yer fat ass window watchin all day, passin judgement on people ye ken nothin aboot :roll:

hotrod4
12-Feb-09, 21:53
I would like to personally thank all those Employers who thought they knew better and who have failed this year and put people out of Work. Where would we be without them!!!!:lol:
Now there are double the amount of people after the Street sweepers job,He better trundle on with his cart and keep an eye behind him, they'll all be after his job!!!![lol]

Moira
12-Feb-09, 22:35
...... award for ma guid work...;)

I have mingled with the nobs at achergill castle....

SPOT THE DIFFERENCE between these posts.

No prizes though - sorry. Despite my best efforts, my positive equity is diminishing. :(

Fran
13-Feb-09, 02:26
Just check out the time of the original post!;)

whats the time of my original post got to do with anything, and why look at the time i posted anyway!

Aaldtimer
13-Feb-09, 03:56
whats the time of my original post got to do with anything, and why look at the time i posted anyway!

Fran, it was just a wee bit o' humour! Your post was at 3 something in the morning, and you were saying "today"...now that's a wee bit early for a paperboy to be on the go!
Just my warped sense of humour, no offence intended.;)

WickLad08
13-Feb-09, 07:24
I think enuff is enuff of Trix's abuse. Thanks to all who took time to show their appreciation for which this thread was intended. I nice to know that the majority of our society are grateful to others and actually care and this outweighs the negative people who couldn't give two hoots and expect everything in life to be given to them just because they pay some taxes. Ridiculous!!!!