PDA

View Full Version : Red squirrels

Kenn
10-Feb-09, 11:43
Was pleased to see that Scotland intends spending one million pounds over the next few years in an effort to save the species from extinction.
The native red squirrel must be one of our most delightful animals and it would be a
disgrace if they were left to fade away as a result of either starvation or infection.
I appreciate that it may seem a large sum that could be spent elsewhere and wonder what thoughts others might have on the matter especially as far as I am aware their range does not extend to the farth north east?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7878855.stm

ks
10-Feb-09, 14:21
Was pleased to see that Scotland intends spending one million pounds over the next few years in an effort to save the species from extinction.
The native red squirrel must be one of our most delightful animals and it would be a
disgrace if they were left to fade away as a result of either starvation or infection.
I appreciate that it may seem a large sum that could be spent elsewhere and wonder what thoughts others might have on the matter especially as far as I am aware their range does not extend to the farth north east?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7878855.stm

Maybe they could release a few pairs in dunnet forest.

r.rackstraw
10-Feb-09, 22:35
Probably the closest red squirrels to Caithness are at Loch Fleet pinewoods near Golspie.
But there were small populations at Berriedale, Dunbeath and Tongue - probably introduced.
Has anyone seen any red squirrels at these places in recent years?

Errogie
13-Feb-09, 17:56
I have been following this story with interest and believe that it might be a good strategy to also invest some of the millions in developing research into the redness gene in squirrels. In other words how about turning the greys into the more acceptable colour as they seem to be much more robust than our local variety and then everyone would be happy, wouldn't they?
But then some naturist, sorry naturalist, would probably girn about the loss of biodiversity and other characteristics!

Kenn
13-Feb-09, 20:48
Errogie had to laugh, not only would we need to change the colour genes but Mr Tufty did n't get his name for nothing, we would need the genes for the ears!
Was very interested to read that here were small populations along the north east coast as I had thought The Spey valley was their furtherest range north.
The introduced greys are attractive in a certain way but do cause alot of damage and will never compete (appart from for food and territory), in looks with our native reds.

Errogie
18-Feb-09, 21:32
Lizz, I live among red squirrels on south Loch Ness and could never understand why on earth the animal was chosen as a road safety emblem. They are the world's worst at crossing roads. They have this habit of running out in front in a car hesitating in the middle and then deciding to dash back to where they came from!

Unfortunately this can leave to carnage so we have road side signs warning motorists plus some overhead ropes slung between trees so they can cross the roads in safety. There does seem to be a healthy population however and last summer I was able to photograph one on a tree outside the kitchen window. Apparently there are reports of a lone grey which may have arrived in Inverness on a lorry. Not so good.