PDA

View Full Version : wives & children

anneoctober
10-Feb-09, 11:00
I've come across a situation in my family tree, where the father was killed in an accident (1877) the month after which his daughter was born. How would his family have survived? I can't find the family in a census anywhere until my gg grandma got married and my ggg grandma died . Any ideas ? Thanks Anne xx

mccaugm
10-Feb-09, 11:02
I've come across a situation in my family tree, where the father was killed in an accident (1877) the month after which his daughter was born. How would his family have survived? I can't find the family in a census anywhere until my gg grandma got married and my ggg grandma died . Any ideas ? Thanks Anne xx

I think they (if they had no money) would end up in the workhouse such as the one in Halkirk. Alternatively other family members would take them in.

anneoctober
10-Feb-09, 11:10
I think they (if they had no money) would end up in the workhouse such as the one in Halkirk. Alternatively other family members would take them in.
Omgosh. They were in Dunbeath at the time, I know ggg granny died in Thurso in her son in laws home aged 90 ( hence my earlier question on senuctus). According to e groat ggg grandad was interred in Canisbay, but no records seem to support this.

Skifter
10-Feb-09, 22:09
They may not necessarily ended up in the workhouse. I had a similar situation with a GGG Grandmother.She was widowed in her forties but got money from the Poor Relief Fund.

anneoctober
14-Feb-09, 12:17
They may not necessarily ended up in the workhouse. I had a similar situation with a GGG Grandmother.She was widowed in her forties but got money from the Poor Relief Fund.
well, they were not in the "poorhouse" ( did n't know that there was one in Latheron). Has anyone got a site for poor relief fund for Caithness, I must be searching in wrong places. Thanks in advance
Anne xx

Skifter
14-Feb-09, 23:22
I got my info from the North Highland Archives in Wick.

anneoctober
15-Feb-09, 02:47
I got my info from the North Highland Archives in Wick.
Thanks Skifter, will try Robert. Anne :)

anneoctober
24-Feb-09, 13:25
Thanks Skifter, will try Robert. Anne :)
Seems that this gt,gt,gt Granny may have gone to Canada with her son Charles whom I had n't found till recently - where do they all come from! LOL. It looks I've tried to kidnap someone else's granny:eek:..................