PDA

View Full Version : council house

only me
10-Feb-09, 00:28
i have recently applied for a council house and have just got the letter confirming the amount of points i have, i was just wondering what is a good amount of points to have to get a house anytime soon?

thanks

purplelady
12-Feb-09, 00:29
Think I had about 40 when I got mine x

Kodiak
12-Feb-09, 00:33
If you do not want to ask the Council how many points are required then I suggest that you contact C.A.B. as I am sure that they will have any and all information you may require.

Alice in Blunderland
12-Feb-09, 09:11
I think its not only a case of points its where you sit on the list. You can have 40 points and not be anywhere near getting a house depending on how many others are on the list and thier requirements for the same area. Likewise with fewer points waiting on a house in a not so popular area ( countryside ) you could get one quicker. Thats how it was explained to me when a friend of mine was waiting on a house. :)

mulac
12-Feb-09, 10:34
I had over 90 points and it took just under a year to get my house !

router
12-Feb-09, 14:42
hope you get one soon. points are there for a guide line but as we found out it means nothing. We had 55 points mainly for overcrowding and was given a bigger property within weeks.

alanabain
12-Feb-09, 18:25
The allocation of houses and the points system has changed in the last year. Your position on the housing list can change every day.

You are entitled to find out where in the list you are though.

I was given 75 points when i first applied for a house 5 years ago and had this house in 3 months. Now i am in for a shift away from my area and only have 35 and have been waiting for ages.

In with pentland and the council but no luck so far. :(

only me
13-Feb-09, 14:43
Thank you to everyone that replied, we have 70 points and was just looking for some idea of how long others have waited as we are expecting a baby and are hoping to have a house before hand.

We was also told that if we find an empty house and go and ask to be considered for it that might help us be housed quicker, does anyone know if this is right?

Thanks again

crashbandicoot1979
13-Feb-09, 14:47
We was also told that if we find an empty house and go and ask to be considered for it that might help us be housed quicker, does anyone know if this is right?

Sorry to say that definitely isn't the case, it will go to whoever is top of the list regardless if you ask to be considered for it or not. Hope you don't have to wait too long for a house. Do the council know you're expecting a baby? As that will affect the points you get.

oag
13-Feb-09, 15:29
Hi my friend had to wait 8 month and she was expecting.

alanabain
13-Feb-09, 19:21
When i applied for this house, i was expecting too. A couple of weeks after he was born i got offered the house.

Im expecting again this time. but its diffrent circumstances as i was with my mum before, thats how we are waiting so long likely.

And i know of 3 cases of people getting a house because they were sempty. And one of them was only on the list a couple of weeks, so yes it is possible.

I would gladly give you my house if i was offered one. ( im also looking around for empty ones )

dirtywicker
13-Feb-09, 22:28
Thank you to everyone that replied, we have 70 points and was just looking for some idea of how long others have waited as we are expecting a baby and are hoping to have a house before hand.

Thanks again

i put in for a bigger house when i was 4 months pregnant & had 80 points then (was in a tiny 1 bedroom flat)
i didnt get offered a house until my baby was 6 months old & then had to wait 6 weeks for the keys to see it!
also it was an empty house in the same street i was in already & i went in to the council & asked to be considered for it(i got it in the end) but they said it goes by how many people are above you on the list & if anyone above me on the list wanted it tehy would have been offered it before i would
hope this helps you

only me
15-Feb-09, 21:28
thanks again for all your replies, if anyone else has any information that might help us please let us know. hopefully we won't have to wait as long as others have had to but will just have to wait and see.