PDA

View Full Version : bank scam???

you
09-Feb-09, 19:51
This evening, I received a phone call from someone from my OH's bank wishing to speak to him. She refused to identify the bank or her name and phone number. 1471 said that the phone number had been withheld. Is this the beginnings of a new scam? Has anyone else received such a call?

Oddquine
09-Feb-09, 22:56
Likely a sales person.........banks have them too.

No bank, to my knowledge, gives a phone number......which is why I always have to check missed calls without a number given in case it is my male offspring (and it rarely is!)

Scunner
09-Feb-09, 22:57
Maybe trying to make a sale, and earn a 'bonus'.

DeHaviLand
09-Feb-09, 23:01
This evening, I received a phone call from someone from my OH's bank wishing to speak to him. She refused to identify the bank or her name and phone number. 1471 said that the phone number had been withheld. Is this the beginnings of a new scam? Has anyone else received such a call?

Its likely to be genuine. She would be unable to give out that information in order to protect client confidentiality. After all, what if you didn't know your OH held an account at that bank? Bang goes the secret "running away" money.;)

joxville
09-Feb-09, 23:24
Ask your bank not to with-hold their number when calling. I was getting frequent calls on my mobile from 'Unknown', which I never answer. If they can't have the decency to impart that little bit of info then I won't bother my backside answering. I had to call the bank a couple of weeks later and I was informed they had tried to contact me several times but phone was never answered, I told her don't with-hold your number and I'll answer it. Since then they've never with-held it.

Kodiak
09-Feb-09, 23:32
If anyone tries to phone me with a withheld Number they will not get through, I have my Phone set so as not to accept phone calls from withheld Numbers.

I get no calls from people wanting to sell me stuff and that makes me happy.

laguna2
10-Feb-09, 09:29
Same happened to us last week. However, she asked that OH telephone his branch. He did - and they had no idea what he was talking about! They had no record that someone was to contact him and agreed that there was nothing wrong with his account. Strange!

Valerie Campbell
10-Feb-09, 11:09

If she'd been on the level, she would have told you to call the number on the back of your card if you had any doubts, or your OH's card I should say. We get calls from the bank if they think a dodgy transaction has occurred and their number is withheld. If at all in doubt, call the bank. Hope this helps a wee bit.

changilass
10-Feb-09, 13:56
How is it that a bank can withhold information from me about hubbies account, hubby can get as many credit cards etc as he wants without needing my signature, yet if he does a runner or carks it I would be held liable for the balance??

laguna2
10-Feb-09, 15:10
How is it that a bank can withhold information from me about hubbies account, hubby can get as many credit cards etc as he wants without needing my signature, yet if he does a runner or carks it I would be held liable for the balance??

Very good question changi!

Oddquine
10-Feb-09, 17:00

No, you wouldn't unless your name was on a joint account or you had an extra card on a credit card account, both requiring signatures. If you have signed nothing, you are not liable...and you are not entitled to any information about the account.

His estate would be responsible if he died, and he'd still be responsible himself if he does a runner. The only problem would arise if you have a joint mortgage.

Tugmistress
10-Feb-09, 17:49
hahaha i've just had a call from a 'witheld' number (which i normally don't answer but i didn't look this time) and it was someone claiming to be from my bank saying i was due a refund of £690 ..... hmmm, suspisions already but i let him waffle on. he asked had i received the documentation for this in the post i said no, so he said could he check my details and proceeded to reel off my address, to which i replied well you're the bank you should have my details correct and he then hung up lol

bekisman
11-Feb-09, 12:04
along similar lines;
Typical scam - I received this this morning at 09.04 (same as a couple of million others).. now a quick read and it's obvious that this 'aint from a bank; 'upgrate' and not 'upgrade' 'mai' instead of 'may' 'inconvenienece' instead of 'inconvenience' - obviously this is a crude one, so WHY do people fall for them?, for goodness sake if they have the savvy to use a PC, and they are on on-line banking, must have read the warnings from their bank, so why do they continue?. Now don't think of some little very old white haired lady, confusedly clicking on, no, these emails are for on-line banking and what's a confused old lady doing on a PC anyway - Incidentally my OH is a pensioner in a couple of months and she aint been caught.
A few easy rules we follow; Make sure its says dear Mrs X and not 'customer/client. Check spelling/grammar, then 'process' it by clicking properties, details, message source. Copy and paste on http://www.spamcop.net (http://www.spamcop.net/) process it, the one above came via Canada, Japan and Korea! Send to spamcop.
Now, by these scammers sending out millions, quite a few WILL hit the in-boxes of someone with an on-line account with that bank. What to do? simply go on line to your Bank and click on scams, bogus emails and read what that bank does when it contacts their 'customers' - ours puts our post code on too.
Just be aware!

Dear Customer,
HSBC is hereby announcing the New Security Upgrate. We are upgrated our new internet banking services to serve our customers for a better and secure banking service , against any fraudulent activities.

Due to this recent upgrate , you are requested to Set your default ip for internet banking by following the provided steps and confirm your online banking details for the safety of your accounts:
Please Click Here To Start.

However , Failure to do so mai result in temporary account suspension.Please understand that this is a security measure intended to help protect you and your account.We apologize for any inconvenienece.

Thanks for your cooperation. Thank You.