PDA

View Full Version : Logging into the Forum Under a Different Name

Saveman
10-Feb-06, 23:07
Is this a common practice?

In theory if members did this they could have a debate with themselves.....or gang up on other members in "pseudo-support" posts.

Against the rules....but does it go on?

moose and Lindsay
10-Feb-06, 23:10
:lol: That is so true

But who is going to admit to more than 1 username?????????

MadPict
10-Feb-06, 23:13
"Sock puppets" or "smurfs" are often a problem on message boards/forums. I have no doubt that there are a few on here and invariably they are used for deceptive or disruptive reasons.
Short of checking all IPs the usual way they are found out is if the person tends to post in a particular style - a cross check with their IP address is usually the 'smoking gun'...

Saveman
10-Feb-06, 23:31
Hmmm, thanks for that Madpict.....it just suddenly dawned on me that not everyone might be playing by the rules. I'm not thinking of any particular instance.....but when you ask a question you hope your getting a genuine cross-section answer, speaking relatively of course.

MadPict
11-Feb-06, 00:36
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_sock_puppet

Rheghead
11-Feb-06, 00:41
RE Internet Sock Puppet

They often act in an unintelligent or uninformed manner, and may behave in an overtly bigoted manner.

Any bells ringing?[para]

Saveman
11-Feb-06, 00:45
RE Internet Sock Puppet

Any bells ringing?[para]

Hmmm.....maybe....unless you mean me.

Rheghead
11-Feb-06, 00:47
Hmmm.....maybe....unless you mean me.

Nah, I quite like your posts.:D

Saveman
11-Feb-06, 00:54
Nah, I quite like your posts.:D
Why, thank you! Yours aren't so bad either! ;)
But seriously....I'm relatively new to message boards/forums etc. In some of the more serious things that have been discussed on this forum, although the discussion itself doesn't affect the outside world, it can affect how you feel about a certain subject matter. It's disturbing to think that some may not be what they seem. Maybe its just hit a paranoia spot.....I'll probably get over it :D

Cedric Farthsbottom III
11-Feb-06, 01:05
I hereby swear to all my good folks on the Caithness Org. Forums that I,Cedric Farthsbottom III only use one name and one name only on these most interesting forums.I must admit though that there are some subjects that do arise,that aren't really my cup of tea, but I like reading other folks points of views of life so I would rather take a back seat on the debate than use another signature to cause a grievance.If we all had the same opinions the world would be a very boring place.:D

rich62_uk
11-Feb-06, 01:08
Huff and puff......... I have to share this one with hubby let alone have two, chance would be a fine thing......Trish

Wait till me move he he he

canuck
11-Feb-06, 16:36
Trish, you are right, you need your own name.
Maybe your cyber friends can help you work on this with some (reasonable!) suggestions.

I ditto Cedric's post.

teddybear1873
11-Feb-06, 17:04
I had another name ages ago, it was beppo1967 but never use it now. Had a problem logging on with it, password or something. Well iv'e owned up iv'e got nothing to hide who else had or has another name ?

Alice in Blunderland
11-Feb-06, 17:10
Me, I logged on as Alice ages ago and had major problems getting logged in so started again as local lassie but that one was even worse couldnt post under that title eventually sussed how to get on and post as Alice and that was me. All legitimate no hidden agenda just stupid with computers and not realising that logging in was case sensitive.There ends my confession for the day...amen

Blast!
11-Feb-06, 17:38
Oh, it deffinately happens, no doubt about it.

But on a side note....

What's up with not being able to use the most common web email providers like GMail, Hotmail, Lycos and Yahoo? I'd like to hear a genuine answer to that question as it baffles me. Do the webmaster want to track us down for masking swear words?

The banning, and length of banning on the forum is inappropriate to say the least!

Oh incase you're interested, I was banned for a month for masking out one or two swear words - outraged! :mad:

wickerinca
11-Feb-06, 18:22
Ditto Cedric. This is the first and only forum that I have been on and I do find it most interesting but I spend too much time on it already that I wouldn't have time to post under another name!:grin:

Just think....there may be people debating with themselves...Scary:evil [lol]

MadPict
11-Feb-06, 19:02
Oh, it deffinately happens, no doubt about it.

But on a side note....

What's up with not being able to use the most common web email providers like GMail, Hotmail, Lycos and Yahoo? I'd like to hear a genuine answer to that question as it baffles me. Do the webmaster want to track us down for masking swear words?

The banning, and length of banning on the forum is inappropriate to say the least!

Oh incase you're interested, I was banned for a month for masking out one or two swear words - outraged! :mad:

Accountability.
You can create a web based email address which then allows multiples to be created as sub accounts.
In the hands of a determined spammer or troll this is giving them carte blanche to abuse the forums.
Most companies like GMail and Hotmail don't give two hoots what their 'customers' do with their accounts - I know I have tried to complain about one particularly nasty character. Hotmail say the only way they will do anything is if a complaint is made to the police.

When a members account on a website is tied to an ISP it makes abuse complaints a lot easier. They are abusing the ISP TOU if the carry out activities which might disrupt etc....

JAWS
11-Feb-06, 19:42
Many, many years ago I used to post under another name. The Mods didn't seem to like me posting as JimR. They put a thread on the board saying that the system had dumped us in a Dustbin during an upgrade. (Computer Error? Now where have I heard that one before? :p )
I don't know how many others it happened to but we had to re-register and start again, and you all know what I became then! [smirk]

willowbankbear
11-Feb-06, 20:34
I had another name ages ago, it was beppo1967 but never use it now. Had a problem logging on with it, password or something. Well iv'e owned up iv'e got nothing to hide who else had or has another name ?

Beppo1967? Teddybear 67 was the worst ever year to be a Bear, 72 & 97 were the best. cant believe you had that name tho, mad !!!

jjc
11-Feb-06, 20:59
Nah, I quite like your posts. / Why, thank you! Yours aren't so bad either! ;) Don’t Internet Sock-Puppets also have a tendency to agree with themselves? ;):p

teddybear1873
11-Feb-06, 21:05
Beppo1967? Teddybear 67 was the worst ever year to be a Bear, 72 & 97 were the best. cant believe you had that name tho, mad !!!
Year i was born willowbankbear. 67 wasnt too bad of year, Jim Baxter sorted e English oot at Wembley

Rheghead
11-Feb-06, 21:08
Don’t Internet Sock-Puppets also have a tendency to agree with themselves? ;):p

I'm in two minds whether to agree or not:p

Saveman
11-Feb-06, 21:23
I'm in two minds whether to agree or not:p

I'm with you on this one Rheghead. [para]

JAWS
12-Feb-06, 03:40
Year i was born willowbankbear. 67 wasnt too bad of year, Jim Baxter sorted e English oot at Wembley
Can we have our Goal Posts back please! :p

teddybear1873
12-Feb-06, 05:33
Can we have our Goal Posts back please! :p
It was 1977 they took the goalposts along with a few divids lol

JAWS
12-Feb-06, 06:22
Oh dear, I'm ten years older than I thought. Fancy losing ten years, now I know I am going senile!

I think we English were very childish that year. Fancy going into a permanent sulk over a few bits of wood and a missing penalty spot!

I still miss the Home Championships and I don't believe it's because they can't fit a handful of games into their hectic, overcrowded schedule.
Poor Dears, it must be very tiring for them!