PDA

View Full Version : Unknown forecast prediction.

cuddlepop
09-Feb-09, 15:29
Why is it that nobody will commit themselves as to what the weather's going to do?
It was snowing again this morning even although rain was forecast.:confused

Trying to make arrangements for going down to Glasgow on Wednesday and back Sat/Sunday but all the web sites I've been on say unknown.

Tuggs do you know?

Tugmistress
09-Feb-09, 15:33
Hi CP,
can you hang on a couple of hours until the 12z charts come out? i can do you one now if you are in a hurry though it's just i prefer those charts :)

what sort of forecast do you want? general or something specific like rain or snow?

it'll only take ten minutes :D

cuddlepop
09-Feb-09, 15:37
Hi CP,
can you hang on a couple of hours until the 12z charts come out? i can do you one now if you are in a hurry though it's just i prefer those charts :)

what sort of forecast do you want? general or something specific like rain or snow?

it'll only take ten minutes :D

Oh thank you.
If I know that snow is forecast from Wednesday on wards then I'll cancel our meeting on Friday in Kilmarnock.

Its just if we leave and the gates get closed at Glengoe there'll be no point going too meeting as stress levels for my daughter will be through roof.:(

Tugmistress
09-Feb-09, 15:43
ok cp, no problem.
looking just now wednesday/thursday will be white not wet, but sat/sun will be wet not white.
let me see what the 12z charts say, and i'll do aproper one for you though please understand sat/sun will only be a 80% chance i'm right because it's still further than 5 days out. they start to come out about 3.30pm so i should be able to have you an answer around 4pm :)

cuddlepop
09-Feb-09, 15:48
ok cp, no problem.
looking just now wednesday/thursday will be white not wet, but sat/sun will be wet not white.
let me see what the 12z charts say, and i'll do aproper one for you though please understand sat/sun will only be a 80% chance i'm right because it's still further than 5 days out. they start to come out about 3.30pm so i should be able to have you an answer around 4pm :)

i know this sounds strange but my daughter can get as stressed as she likes once we've been down.

So wet Sat/Sunday but maybe snow is ok.

golach
09-Feb-09, 16:03
Cuddlepop, this is a great web site to check road conditions, just check Live eye views

http://www.trafficscotland.org/

poppett
09-Feb-09, 16:10
We use that site Golach. It is very interesting.

Poor CP what a long way to have to go in the winter for a meeting!

We decided not to risk Edinburgh for tomorrow`s clinic at Western and as luck would have it when I phoned urologist`s secretary to explain she was delighted as there was a chap needing urgent attention who was on the list for 3rd March. She phoned him and he is happy to go in tomorrow and we now have his appointment, so every cloud has a silver lining.......so they say.

Now we are free to go to Orkney tomorrow to help friends pack up their goods and shattles from their old house and back Thursday if all goes to plan. Curious to know weather over there Tuggs, if you have a clue, but will probably be too busy to see much of it.

cuddlepop
09-Feb-09, 16:11
Cuddlepop, this is a great web site to check road conditions, just check Live eye views

http://www.trafficscotland.org/

Been on it and had a wee look around the country and for now all the roads are clear.

Its just on Wednesday it takes 3hrs to get to the snow gates, roughly. You could have left Syke and the gates are open but by the time you get there the gate's down.:(

Tugmistress
09-Feb-09, 16:20
ok cuddlepop, i know you are leaving from skye to get to glasgow area, what i don't know is the layout of the land, can you give me an idea so i can work that into the forecst for you? high ground lowground valleys between? a road number or two would be useful as i can then look them up and see for myself :)
sorry to be a pain but i want to try and get it right for you!

cuddlepop
09-Feb-09, 16:29
ok cuddlepop, i know you are leaving from skye to get to glasgow area, what i don't know is the layout of the land, can you give me an idea so i can work that into the forecst for you? high ground lowground valleys between? a road number or two would be useful as i can then look them up and see for myself :)
sorry to be a pain but i want to try and get it right for you!

Usually the roads are fine on Skye.Its just Clunnie,which is on the A87 can be bad for snow as its so high up.You then turn off at Bunloyne junction which is still the A87 and travel onto Fortwilliam.
As long as everyone takes their time and drives according to conditions the roads fine.You then go onto the A82 at Invergarry.
Leaving Fortwilliam and travelling onto Glengoe is where you can hit problems.Rannoch moor sumit is 1141 feet above sea level .:eek:
The weather closes in quickly here.

You carry on the A82 on way to Glasgow via loch lomand.

Tugmistress
09-Feb-09, 16:30
Thanks CP, i'll get a forecast to you shortly :D

Tugmistress
09-Feb-09, 17:20
Just for you CP :)

Wednesday
you're right on the borderline of snow/rain most of the day, with the heights your route will take you i would err on the side of caution and say snow - BUT - i don't think you'll get anything falling from the sky! you should have quite a pleasant maybe even sunny trip south but watch out for ice! bearing this in mind, the sunshine combined with frozen ground could give you some mist patches! temps during tuesday night are liable to have fallen to around -5c even in coastal areas and a lot cooler inland and higher up.

sat
you're definately in the 'snow' band, though again i think it'll be reasonably clear if you choose to travel back north - again watch out for ice! slightly colder air overnight than the way down!

sun
again you're in the cold enough air to have snow if anything falls, i think you'll miss out though or if you do get some it'll only be light showers and that dry cold snow not wet snow.

i can't stress enough that the biggest danger you'll have will be ice, so please be prepared and give yourself plenty of time :)

other than that have a good trip and remember to take the camera :D hope that helps CP

cuddlepop
09-Feb-09, 17:49
Just for you CP :)

Wednesday
you're right on the borderline of snow/rain most of the day, with the heights your route will take you i would err on the side of caution and say snow - BUT - i don't think you'll get anything falling from the sky! you should have quite a pleasant maybe even sunny trip south but watch out for ice! bearing this in mind, the sunshine combined with frozen ground could give you some mist patches! temps during tuesday night are liable to have fallen to around -5c even in coastal areas and a lot cooler inland and higher up.

sat
you're definately in the 'snow' band, though again i think it'll be reasonably clear if you choose to travel back north - again watch out for ice! slightly colder air overnight than the way down!

sun
again you're in the cold enough air to have snow if anything falls, i think you'll miss out though or if you do get some it'll only be light showers and that dry cold snow not wet snow.

i can't stress enough that the biggest danger you'll have will be ice, so please be prepared and give yourself plenty of time :)

other than that have a good trip and remember to take the camera :D hope that helps CP

It does thank you.

With the Oh driving the landi I'm not worried now but I know anything can happen as far as our weather is concerned.lol