PDA

View Full Version : Jonathan Davies

Valerie Campbell
08-Feb-09, 19:27
Ok, Scotland were thrashed by Wales but was there any need for the comments of Jonathan Davies? At every opportunity, he slated Scotland and although the Cross tackle was high, and he paid the price for it, what he said was absolutely diabolical. I though commentators were meant to be professional and unbiased. Seems to me he was neither today. He really spoiled it for me.

Kodiak
08-Feb-09, 19:38
Oh was there a Football Match on then?

Kevin Milkins
08-Feb-09, 20:43
If it is any consultation Valerie he was getting on my nerves a bit as well,:mad: Mrs M left the room at one stage because of his constant twittering, and another one that gets my back up is Eddie Butler and he is bloody Welsh as well.

On a brighter note I would not say Scotland was not thrashed by Wales at all and they showed some very promising touches.

They are a long way off being the whipping boys that they have been in the past and I am pleased they have stuck with Frank Haden as coach because I think with a bit of consistency they will play a very attractive and competitive game.

changilass
08-Feb-09, 20:51
I think you will find he was the annalyst not the commentator and to be fair most of what he said was right.

Kevin Milkins
08-Feb-09, 21:10
I think you will find he was the annalyst not the commentator and to be fair most of what he said was right.

I can also agree partly with you CL as I have alot of respect for JD, both as a commentator and player, but today he was giving a blow by blow account of the game as if we were listening to it on the radio and I felt as if I wanted to shout SHUT UP more than once.

anneoctober
09-Feb-09, 13:16
We still didna leck it Changi !! :lol:

squidge
09-Feb-09, 13:55
WE found him a bit much too, In fact we looked on the interactive thing to see if we could have the radio commentary on instead. They did thatlast time i think but it wasnt available. pity - i beleive it was more interesting that the TV one

Cattach
09-Feb-09, 14:00
I can also agree partly with you CL as I have alot of respect for JD, both as a commentator and player, but today he was giving a blow by blow account of the game as if we were listening to it on the radio and I felt as if I wanted to shout SHUT UP more than once.

I watch most Rugby and Football matches with the commentary off. I do not need continual nonsense of Davis, Gray or or who ever. When I go to a match live I do hear some of the noise and the crack but I do not need someone to tell me what is happening. Also remember these commentators never played the game or are not qualified as coaches so know less about the game than me. As for retired or fallen stars, they are 'pundits' because they are not good enough to be managers or coaches.

Kevin Milkins
09-Feb-09, 14:36
I watch most Rugby and Football matches with the commentary off. I do not need continual nonsense of Davis, Gray or or who ever. When I go to a match live I do hear some of the noise and the crack but I do not need someone to tell me what is happening. Also remember these commentators never played the game or are not qualified as coaches so know less about the game than me. As for retired or fallen stars, they are 'pundits' because they are not good enough to be managers or coaches.

I think you will find most of them have played the game and at the very highest level, I have always believed that the best players often don't make the best coaches and vice versa.

I like JD, but as Valerie pointed out he was over the top on Sunday.

Green_not_greed
09-Feb-09, 15:05
I completely agree. I watched this on BBC1 SCOTLAND and expected to hear commentary supporting the Scots team - not the other way round. It'll be interesting to see how much commentary time he's given next week at the Wales-England game.......

GNG

Invisible
09-Feb-09, 15:23
Ok, Scotland were thrashed by Wales but was there any need for the comments of Jonathan Davies? At every opportunity, he slated Scotland and although the Cross tackle was high, and he paid the price for it, what he said was absolutely diabolical. I though commentators were meant to be professional and unbiased. Seems to me he was neither today. He really spoiled it for me.

I used to like JD but after his comments and more tone of his voice against Scotland, he seemed more biased than John Motson OBE when England are on the footie field. I think he is quite big headed now as Wales are current champs in 6 nations and in grand slam. Did you guys hear him at the start when Scotland had just finished the national anthem he was "like ok come on get on with it"

Cattach
09-Feb-09, 20:50
I think you will find most of them have played the game and at the very highest level, I have always believed that the best players often don't make the best coaches and vice versa.

I like JD, but as Valerie pointed out he was over the top on Sunday.

You are only [artly correct. A small part! I was mainly talking of commentators and most did not play at any level. Many came through the journalist route. Pundits - that a little dsifferent but again in most sports it is accepted that you do not have to play at the top level to be a good coach. There are many examples in football and even more in sports like swimming and athletics.

Scolari has just been sacked - Avram Grant with virtually no playing pedigree was actually doing better when he had to go. The players now would like hime back!

Alex Ferguson the best coach in the country - hardly a great player.