PDA

View Full Version : Meeting up with the dead

crayola
08-Feb-09, 16:51
Yesterday, I was walking down one of the main roads with my father in the centre of a city I used to live in when I saw someone I once knew very well but whom I hadn't seen for over twenty years. I greeted her with a smile and a hug and asked how she was. She looked well and she smiled and said she was fine but she looked a little puzzled. I realised later this was because she thought she was invisible to me. I asked what she was doing these days and she replied that she was a 'liaison mage'. For a second, I wondered what this meant but then I realised the enormity of the experience. It suddenly dawned on me that my friend had died more than 20 years ago and she was now working as a liaison officer between our world and 'the other side'. It was clearly an important job. I think she could read my mind because she seemed happy with my reaction. I asked where she lived, she said her base was hidden below the surface of Mars but she spent a lot of time on Earth liaising with people here. I said it was good to see her and that we should catch up with each other properly soon but I had to dash off and catch up with my father before he got lost in the ruined buildings we were about to visit. At this point she stood up to her full eight feet in height and bade me farewell. I ran down the street and found my father waiting by the gate. I didn't tell him about my experience.

I awoke this morning feeling rather puzzled but feeling happy that I still remembered my former friend after all these years.

What do you think? Have you had a similar experience?

percy toboggan
08-Feb-09, 16:58
Phew! for a second there I thought you were about to suggest some kind of rendezvous.

An 'importal' job might have been a beter description of your friends role in the universe. I have only occassionally come across deceased people in my dreams - which pleases me because some of my waking (working) hours find me surrounded by the living dead.

Told just a little better, the kind of tale you relate could have my flesh breaking out in bumps and my few remaining hairs upended. For I am open minded and receptive to the kind of experience you describe.

crayola
08-Feb-09, 17:07
Feel free to use your literary talents to improve it percy, I would be delighted.

changilass
08-Feb-09, 17:16
My immediate reaction is 'what a load of twaddle' closely followed by 'what the hell where you on?'

This may not be the reaction you were after but everyone is entitled to their viewpoint - even little owld me :lol:

percy toboggan
08-Feb-09, 17:19
Feel free to use your literary talents to improve it percy, I would be delighted.

Oh! if we could conjure up our loved ones in dreams, and at will.

Far be it from me Crayola to embellish your words , but thank you anyway.

It is interesting to share tales of these vivid experiences and I'm at least glad they bring you some comfort. Others might be less sanguine , regarding such nocturnal visitations as a kind of technicolour trauma.

I'm open minded, as I say....Sometimes my dreams are vivid. So much so that waking has been a disappointment - not often, but sometimes.

All of which allows me to harbour hope that all is not what we can see , feel and hear...there may well be something beyond the mortal and conscious state most of us cling to.

Average
08-Feb-09, 17:22
My immediate reaction is 'what a load of twaddle' closely followed by 'what the hell where you on?'

Thats pretty much what I was thinking too.

percy toboggan
08-Feb-09, 17:30
One mans twaddle is another mans tosh are anothers mans dreams.
I'm as cynical as the next person sometimes but it takes all sorts to make a world.
Some feel the need to share experiences. Others feel the need to lampoon, or denigrate. All are valid, if they're constructive.

I feel as relaxed as a relaxed thing this afternoon - in another mood I might have jumped on the twaddle button.

Have you any vivid dreams Changi - that you'll share? I'm afraid I forget mine all too often. Average - are your dreams as mundane as your moniker?

I have dabbled with ouija boards - several decades ago - and they frit me a bit. I played the fool with them sometimes and frit others...I was young and foolish.

changilass
08-Feb-09, 17:37
I have very vivid dreams Percy, to the extent that I have to check them out on waking.

Very vivid dreams, but I think dreams is just a way of your brain dealing with what is happening to you when you are awake.

I often dream of my nana who died many years ago, it doesnt mean she is at my side just that I am thinking about her and how she would have advised me had she been alive.

crayola
08-Feb-09, 17:58
I was most enamoured with the concept of a 'liaison mage (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=mage)'. Goodness knows where that expression came from but I was pleased that my friend was doing such an important job and apparently doing it well. She always was a perfectionist.

Venture
08-Feb-09, 18:34
You certainly continue to bring something "different" to the forum, compared to other posters Crayola, and I have to admit to thinking along the same lines as changilass and Average. I often dream about people who no longer walk this earth but find it hard to be like you and remember it all in so much detail. :eek: Sweet Dreams.;)

Metalattakk
08-Feb-09, 18:50
I awoke this morning feeling rather puzzled but feeling happy that I still remembered my former friend after all these years.

What do you think?

I think cheese at supper time = bad idea.

joxville
08-Feb-09, 19:26
Dreams can usually give pointers to where we are going wrong in our conscious life so perhaps the visit by the friend is to make you aware of something. Sometimes it could be the respected qualities of that person is what you need to look at, maybe change something within yourself. No-one knows for definite why we dream, scientist's are still probing the mystery of it all. Why can't they just accept it's something we do. Some mysteries are better not solved-allow us that little luxury, especially cos it's one thing Governments will never have control over lol

I've had some great dreams over the years from dead people, many times, like others, I've had that feeling of deja vu, probably from a dream I've had. I'd rather not know why I get the dreams, I just enjoy that I do.

helenwyler
08-Feb-09, 19:43
Yesterday, I was walking down one of the main roads with my father in the centre of a city I used to live in

...soon but I had to dash off and catch up with my father before he got lost in the ruined buildings we were about to visit.

...I ran down the street and found my father waiting by the gate. I didn't tell him about my experience.

What do you think?

Interesting dream Crayola.

I think the role of your father is interesting too.

The city you 'used to live in', the 'ruined buildings you are about to visit', and the fact that your father was 'waiting by a gate' in the dream. Past life, future visits, and waiting. Gotta mean something :).

Miss Mack
08-Feb-09, 20:56

This may not be the reaction you were after but everyone is entitled to their viewpoint - even little owld me :lol:
Ha ha, that made me laugh, i was thinking the same:roll:

bobandag16
08-Feb-09, 21:49
Yesterday, I was walking down one of the main roads with my father in the centre of a city I used to live in when I saw someone I once knew very well but whom I hadn't seen for over twenty years. I greeted her with a smile and a hug and asked how she was. She looked well and she smiled and said she was fine but she looked a little puzzled. I realised later this was because she thought she was invisible to me. I asked what she was doing these days and she replied that she was a 'liaison mage'. For a second, I wondered what this meant but then I realised the enormity of the experience. It suddenly dawned on me that my friend had died more than 20 years ago and she was now working as a liaison officer between our world and 'the other side'. It was clearly an important job. I think she could read my mind because she seemed happy with my reaction. I asked where she lived, she said her base was hidden below the surface of Mars but she spent a lot of time on Earth liaising with people here. I said it was good to see her and that we should catch up with each other properly soon but I had to dash off and catch up with my father before he got lost in the ruined buildings we were about to visit. At this point she stood up to her full eight feet in height and bade me farewell. I ran down the street and found my father waiting by the gate. I didn't tell him about my experience.

every morning i am able two tell my carerwho i meet last night who have pssed on .even of parcels coming to her .of being told what to do. never free the voices are there .ihave two angels good and bad .guide me .

Angel
08-Feb-09, 23:28
I remember dreaming of seeing my father driving a wooden church looking for somewhere to stop so as he could go fishing... very strange really as he never went to church and had never fished in his life.
I interpret this to him being happy and contented with his death as well as life, and happy for my life and the way it is unfolding...

Angel...

bettedaviseyes
09-Feb-09, 00:04
this is an intresting subject i had a dream my nana who past away 2 years ago god bless was calling me marie i remember saying nana its me and she said i know then once again called me marie i told my sister about it and the werid thing was that her and my other sister was going to see a psychic called marie werid eh?

sweetpea
09-Feb-09, 00:06
when I was growing up me and my nana always used to say we would meet up when she was dead:eek: right until her last breath we used to say 'see you at the other side'. I feel she is right beside me all the time.:)

goldenguernsey
09-Feb-09, 03:56
I often dream of those past over, especially if I want to ask them something or know something. They never let me down, even if what I see seems random on awaking, it always makes sense in the cold light of day

Penelope Pitstop
09-Feb-09, 21:40
Interesting thread. I've had some pretty weird happenings at the time of loved ones passing away - I wasn't with them at the time.

My Dad passed away last year, I've been hoping he would be back to visit...but alas nothing yet:(...I live in hope.

Devilledcashew
09-Feb-09, 22:28
For my first post on the Org I humbly offer the following thoughts and observations on dreams.

It would seem to me that dreams often reflect our current concerns and anxieties. Dreaming is a kind of thinking, usually during sleep.
Children under the age of ten seldom dream. Blind people do not dream in colour. They dream of sounds and tastes and smells. Many blind people commonly dream of bumping into things or losing their guide dog. Not surprisingly, creative people can have creative dreams, which can help them at work in their waking life. Some people do not dream at all and suffer no mental or physical disadvantages as a consequence.
The evidence seems pretty convincing that only humans dream, which kicks into touch the idea that dreaming has any evolutionary adaptive function.

What seems to be complete nonesense is that dreams: have a problem-solving function, can predict the future, clear out redundant memories from the previous day, are useful indicators for unrecognized physical illness or that they fit in a recognized code of mystical symbols.
There are people making a living from peddling this rubbish, but they are modern day snake-oil salesmen.

Dreams may well be a series of scenes and feelings commonly occurring in the mind during sleep, but, they mean nothing and as far as the scientific community is concerned, they are just involuntary things that happen to us when we are relaxed and external stimuli have been cut off.

Thanks for listening.

Penelope Pitstop
09-Feb-09, 22:45
Hello, and welcome.:Razz

gleeber
09-Feb-09, 23:12
Dreams may well be a series of scenes and feelings commonly occurring in the mind during sleep, but, they mean nothing and as far as the scientific community is concerned, they are just involuntary things that happen to us when we are relaxed and external stimuli have been cut off.

Welcome to the org DC

I'm not sure what scientific community you allude to but I doubt very much that the branch of science that deals with individual psychology would write off the importance of dreams so quickly.
Dreams have been called the royal road to the unconscious and unless you disregard the evidence to an unconscious part of the human personality it would be nothing short of folly to ignore them as a source of information to better understand the human dilemma.

scorrie
09-Feb-09, 23:55
The evidence seems pretty convincing that only humans dream,

My cat dreams. She chatters and twitches in her sleep. One day she was lying fast asleep, as happy as Larry, on our bed, before becoming agitated and eventually waking up hissing and swiping at fresh air. I had to talk to her for a while to reassure her that whatever had upset her was only a dream. There is no other rational reason that would explain her becoming upset while lying in complete safety and comfort.

On a personal note, my own dreams are very vivid and complex. They run to a very long sequence of events and many of them have been way more wonderful than anything I have experienced in life. For a start, I can fly and take off directly upwards, sometimes to incredible heights above the planet. Strangely enough, I can never run with any speed at all in my dreams. I have spoken to my Father on numerous occasions since his death 18 months ago, the recurring theme being him turning up at my Mother's house and me being the only person who realises he shouldn't be there. I have also met and had a dram with several other deceased persons. I even met Jesus on one occasion, despite not being at all religious. Jesus beckoned me to kneel at his feet and must have got me on a "going" day because I complied. He placed his hand on my head and it was a warm and reassuring feeling, although it had no effect whatever on my status as an atheist. I can almost always work out why certain people or events have appeared in my dreams and I believe that the brain does a bit of "file moving" and general house keeping when we are asleep. I noted that Jesus did not speak to me throughout the dream and believe that this is because I have never heard his voice. His image remains the same but many actors have played the part, bringing different voices to "The Man", had I heard his real voice I am sure my brain would have "made" Jesus speak to me during our meeting. I cannot say what purpose dreams serve, other than observing that there are times you are glad they are over but in most cases mine are a positive and enjoyable experience, often incredible in the realism of all five senses.

wifie
10-Feb-09, 00:05
Welcome Devilledcashew! I too would disagree and say that dogs dream - you see them chasing things in their sleep!
I usually enjoy my dreams and some can be extremely vivid! Like scorrie some are more enjoyable than life itself but some you wish to wake up from! I often feel I know I am asleep but cannot escape whatever it is that upsets me!

poppett
10-Feb-09, 10:21
Welcome devilledcachew.

Bobandag16...... nice to see you posting again. Thought we had been deserted for international scrabble again.

Would be interested to know who the good and bad angels are, as I think I know one or two of them myself.

teenybash
10-Feb-09, 12:01
Welcome Devilledcashew...................:)

loobyloo
10-Feb-09, 12:23
Dreams are a very powerful phenomena and I wouldn't say they were a load of twaddle. On a few occasions in my life, I have had dreams which have left me elated, or severely shaken. I have literally been haunted by dreams for days and I think we have all had that feeling of not knowing whether something has actually happened, or whether we've dreamt it (have had a few embarrassing conversations as a result of this! :)).
I don't think we can cast aside their function so readily. Scientists would agree that we need to dream to maintain our mental health, so they are more than just replaying the events of the day.

Thumper
10-Feb-09, 12:29
Dreams can be very vivid and feel so real at times! I remember actually hitting my hubby after I dreamt he had been cheating on me :eek: mind you that dream did actually come true so I should probably have hit him harder when I dreamt it! I also dreamt that my Gran would die and she did the next day!I think most dreams are just our brains sorting out the wheat from the chaff so to speak but I do think that sometimes they do warn us of things to come! My son who is eight has very vivid dreams and always has done,he shouts out in his sleep almost every night and at least once a week has one so bad he wakes up crying and comes through to me x

scorrie
10-Feb-09, 15:29
For anyone interested, there is a Horizon program about dreams on BBC2 tonight at 9 O' Clock.

joxville
10-Feb-09, 21:09
Thanks for that scorrie, I thought I'd dreamt that. :D

bobandag16
10-Feb-09, 21:14
Welcome devilledcachew.

Bobandag16...... nice to see you posting again. Thought we had been deserted for international scrabble again.

Would be interested to know who the good and bad angels are, as I think I know one or two of them myself.
1 is called agnes. good other margerat will led u astray laugh call u english b can be related.visited often .now both happy .still must do as iam told.thank u 4 asking.

Haweswater
11-Feb-09, 01:06
Some fifteen years ago we lost a close friend to illness. Before his health failed he served with Loganair as a captain flying inter-island routes. For a spell before that he had been a first officer based in Glasgow, where he came to know a number of other flight crew with other companies.
A couple of days following his death, a pilot was walking through the terminal at Glasgow Airport when he met our mutual pal who seemed as 'large as life' (like he was both in personality and stature) and looking the picture of good health. Realising that he had been unwell the chap asked him as to how he was keeping. The response was positive and cheery and after the exchange of some banter both went on their way.
Something, however, struck the man as being 'odd' and on turning around he could find no trace of our friend.
Only when he returned to his office and mentioned the meeting with other staff was he informed that he must have been mistaken as our mutual friend had died only two days before.
The incident was later retold during an STV documentary on the 'unexplained'.
Knowing our pal as he was, a man with a tremendous sense of humour and enthusiasm for life and his flying career, such an encounter did not surprise me in the least. In some ways the whole thing was particularly ironic as the dear departed friend would have been the first to laugh such an incident off as being down to 'not taking enough water in the dram..!'
We will never quite know the full truth behind such matters (at least not in this world) and I'm therefore quite content to simply live with them - enriching our lives as they can often do.

nightowl
11-Feb-09, 18:05
For anyone interested, there is a Horizon program about dreams on BBC2 tonight at 9 O' Clock.

Just watched the recording of this - fascinating - well worth a look

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00hnc9n/Horizon_Why_Do_We_Dream/

Devilledcashew
11-Feb-09, 19:16

Thanks for that and thank you all for the welcomes.

An interesting programme and one that has made me think again about some of the points I made in my first post.
What I did note was that nowhere in the programme did any of the experts suggest that interpreting dreams could predict future events (I did nip out to put the kettle on at one point) but these same experts seemed convinced that dreaming has a beneficial impact on our lives. And if it is true that animals dream then the evolutionary advantage in dreaming could be back on the cards too.

gleeber
12-Feb-09, 16:31
It was an interesting programme and it shows that dreams work away in the background, a bit like windows works on a computer, waiting to be fulfilled.
I'm surprised they never mentioned Freud because his first book was called Interpretaion of dreams and although it wasnt as scientifically researched as the modern day neuroscientists have done, some of it confirms a lot of freuds ideas.
Crayolas dream could be interesting interpretaed from a Freudian viepoint.:eek:

Vistravi
12-Feb-09, 22:19
I once dreamt that my dad who had died about a year ago then, had spoke to me in my dream and told me that he was all right and that i shuld go to edinburgh and this was after i had found this enormous black car under a tree in my dream.:confused

I jus thought this was a weird dream and forgot bout it. When i met my current partner some 6 months later we were supposed to go to edinburgh to help a friend move down there and i almost didn't go. i went and had a fabulous time.
And then jus a couple of weeks ago i saw the ame huge black car in ness that i had found in my dream.

Tilter
12-Feb-09, 23:11
Well I've been watching too much telly recently and now I'm scared of dreaming of dead people I know in case they're trotting about as vampires. Also, my dog's dreams frighten him, but in his case it's werewolves now instead of rabbits.

Rheghead
12-Feb-09, 23:51

Yes, I've had a similiar experience.

What we've experienced is a very vivid dream about someone who has died who claims is caught between the here and thereafter. Enough to touch and smell, the whole works, very spooky.

The human brain is a very powerful thing.

crayola
14-Feb-09, 01:59
I think cheese at supper time = bad idea.I did have a lot of cheese the previous night lol, but I really enjoyed the dream. Do you not have dreams that set you up for the day? I know it's crazy but I often have a good day after a good dream.

Interesting dream Crayola.

I think the role of your father is interesting too.

The city you 'used to live in', the 'ruined buildings you are about to visit', and the fact that your father was 'waiting by a gate' in the dream. Past life, future visits, and waiting. Gotta mean something :).I thought the role of my father was coincidental. What makes you think otherwise?

We weren't intending to visit ruined buildings, it was a total surprise to me that they were ruined. I didn't say in my original post that I had entered via a side gate and my father was waiting inside the main gate. Does that make any difference to you?

I haven't lived in that city for a long time, is that significant in your interpretation?

crayola
14-Feb-09, 02:04
I'm surprised they never mentioned Freud because his first book was called Interpretaion of dreams and although it wasnt as scientifically researched as the modern day neuroscientists have done, some of it confirms a lot of freuds ideas.
Crayolas dream could be interesting interpretaed from a Freudian viepoint.:eek:Can you give me a Freudian interpretation?

Yes, I've had a similiar experience.

What we've experienced is a very vivid dream about someone who has died who claims is caught between the here and thereafter. Enough to touch and smell, the whole works, very spooky.

The human brain is a very powerful thing.I would understand it if my friend had passed away recently but she died almost 20 years ago. :confused

The other thing I didn't say was that her base was on Mars because it was a lot easier to hide there than on Earth. :lol:

Metalattakk
14-Feb-09, 02:05
Do you not have dreams that set you up for the day? I know it's crazy but I often have a good day after a good dram

Yup, me too. ;)

crayola
14-Feb-09, 02:11
Yup, me too. ;)Ha ha, you had me going for a second there. Stop putting words spirits in my mouth! :lol:

gleeber
14-Feb-09, 09:53
Can you give me a Freudian interpretation?

I would understand it if my friend had passed away recently but she died almost 20 years ago. :confused

The other thing I didn't say was that her base was on Mars because it was a lot easier to hide there than on Earth. :lol:

Freuds angle on dreams was that they were nothing more than wish fulfillment.I dunno if thats the case but I would be more inclined to let people find their own interpretation. The important thing is to embrace them as a living document of our inner world, and enjoy them.
Your dream does have some classic Freudian characteristics though. The passage of time, The liaison officer, 8 feet tall, living in the underworld not even on this planet. How deep is that? Who's reaching out to who? Which one were you in the dream? Maybe both? It's intersting that your dream is set on a main road, presumably not far from some ruined buildings. Have you been to a museum recently or even seen some kind of historical document maybe in a window somewhere?. A fleeting glance? It could be as simple as that. Father standing by a gate waiting for you and you enter by a side gate? That would be very Freudian and rather than being coincidental from a freudian viewpoint would be the purpose of the dream and be very much associated with whatever inner struggles you as an individal have to endure. It's interesting that the experience seemed to help you in your waking life. Sometimes I find a dreams effects can linger negatively. Its like knowing theres some hidden meaning but because of the unreal structure of dreams it's difficult to interpret them. You can be sure there will be someone somewhere who will help you though. For a small fee of course.

crayola
14-Feb-09, 15:25
I thought the side gate was entirely coincidental because it was a small event that happened at the end of the dream. I visited this city for the first time in several years a few months ago so the building being a ruin was a big surprise to me and the only reason I could enter via the side gate was because an original wall had fallen down since then.

I am intrigued by my friend being 8 feet tall because she wasn't tall in real life. I assumed 8 feet was the standard height for a liaison mage and that she appeared to be five feet something so as not to attract attention to herself as she walked down the street. She was with another woman who said nothing.

The road was the main road into the city centre from the south, it was pedestrianised in the dream but it isn't in real life.

I have negative dreams too.

helenwyler
14-Feb-09, 16:36
I thought the role of my father was coincidental. What makes you think otherwise?

I’m not convinced anything in dreams can be relegated to the coincidental or free from importance. The fact that your father figured in the dream probably indicates that he plays a significant role in your dream scenario.

We weren't intending to visit ruined buildings, it was a total surprise to me that they were ruined. I didn't say in my original post that I had entered via a side gate and my father was waiting inside the main gate. Does that make any difference to you?

I don’t think the fact that you weren’t intending to visit ‘ruined’ buildings, and that their being ruined surprised you, is as important as the fact that your unconscious brain presented them in your dream as in a state of ruin. They had changed and were not as you once knew them.

In your OP you said you had to “dash off and catch up with your father before he got lost in the ruined buildings we were about to visit.” You don’t say ‘in case he got lost’ and the word “before” sounds as though you almost expect him to get lost, and that there is some anxiety attached to that.

In your reply you mention you found him waiting “inside the gate” (i.e. already inside the area of the ruins)….already starting to get lost? Gates are literally a division, or barrier even, between here and there, this side and that side. The "liaison mage" was "on the other side" too.

Perhaps you and your father entering from different gates could be construed as you and your father ‘approaching’ some area of experience from different angles? The more and the less conventional?

I haven't lived in that city for a long time, is that significant in your interpretation?

Revisiting, reappraising past events? Dunno.

I shall cease my doubtless incoherent ramblings forthwith :lol:!

crayola
15-Feb-09, 15:00
I’m not convinced anything in dreams can be relegated to the coincidental or free from importance. The fact that your father figured in the dream probably indicates that he plays a significant role in your dream scenario.

I don’t think the fact that you weren’t intending to visit ‘ruined’ buildings, and that their being ruined surprised you, is as important as the fact that your unconscious brain presented them in your dream as in a state of ruin. They had changed and were not as you once knew them.

In your OP you said you had to “dash off and catch up with your father before he got lost in the ruined buildings we were about to visit.” You don’t say ‘in case he got lost’ and the word “before” sounds as though you almost expect him to get lost, and that there is some anxiety attached to that.

In your reply you mention you found him waiting “inside the gate” (i.e. already inside the area of the ruins)….already starting to get lost? Gates are literally a division, or barrier even, between here and there, this side and that side. The "liaison mage" was "on the other side" too.

Perhaps you and your father entering from different gates could be construed as you and your father ‘approaching’ some area of experience from different angles? The more and the less conventional?

Revisiting, reappraising past events? Dunno.

I shall cease my doubtless incoherent ramblings forthwith :lol:!
Please don't cease your 'ramblings', I'm enjoying them.

It could be that the change in the state of the buildings were related to the change in my friend's situation, I hadn't thought of that. Nor had I thought about the significance of my father being on the other side of the gate. I didn't tell him about meeting my friend for a variety of reasons most of which I can't remember!

I wouldn't put any stress on 'before he got lost' versus 'in case he got lost'. I almost wrote in 'case' and I should have done but I didn't. :lol:

crayola
29-Apr-09, 10:58
I met my friend again last night. My brakes failed as I was reversing at speed down Pennyland Drive. I lost control and swerved down Brims Road and crashed through the flag fence at the bottom. I skidded in deep mud as I crossed the field and ended up in the huge barn which adjoins the big church next to Pennyland Farm. I managed to crawl out of the car but wasn't sure if I was dead or alive. I spoke to some hooded faceless people in the barn before emerging into the doorway of the church. Have you ever been inside that church? It's huge inside, much bigger than it looks from the outside, with an ornate roof that's more redolent of high Anglican tastes than anything Presbyterian I've ever experienced. Anyway, my friend welcomed me into her world as I entered the church. We spoke for a few minutes but I told her I wasn't going any further and I ran like hell for the fire exit when she wasn't looking. To my great relief I broke through the door unscathed whereupon I emerged into bright sunlight on Castlegreen Road. The outside walls of the church were black but fading into transparency, the birds were singing and I was none the worse for my ideal. A lucky escape perhaps?

joxville
29-Apr-09, 14:48
I'm sure if you pop into your nearest toy shop they may be able to sell you some new marbles. ;)

crayola
29-Apr-09, 22:43
I forgot to mention that the flags that make up the wall on Victoria Walk were shining a brilliant iridescent white. It was as if they were lit up by angels of the Earth savouring the safe return of one of their own. My marbles were welcoming me home.

squidge
29-Apr-09, 23:05
Have you checked your calender Crayola? Are you sure you arent pregnant;) I have dreams like that right from the start of my pregnancies andits hormone related lol. Some are story dreams - I have been a fighter pilot, a detective, a vampire warrior princess and George Formby's sidekick ( dont ask!!!!) but some are about people and places i knew long ago. They are in GLORIOUS and VIBRANT colour ( except the george Formby one which was black and White but then i dont think i have ever seen George Formby in colour!!!!)

i would have a quick look for that pink line if i was you!!!!!

crayola
30-Apr-09, 10:38
I use bright pink pens so I have pink lines everywhere. Is this a sign?

Could the Angels on Victoria Walk have been special? The Bible says.....

The angel answered, 'The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God.'

Eeeeek! :eek:

katarina
30-Apr-09, 12:41
In my lifetime , apart from all the other dreams, I have had three very vivid dreams about newsworthy events, nothing to do with me, that actually happened a week or so later. It kinda freaked me out, too much to discuss them further.
Also sometimes when I've been very worried about something, I've dreamed about a solution I had not thought of before. Wish that would happen more often! I frequently dream about dead people - but doesn't everyone?
My scarey re-occurring dream is about driving the car up to a main road and suddenly finding out the brakes don't work!

Moira
30-Apr-09, 21:22
Have you checked your calender Crayola? Are you sure you arent pregnant I have dreams like that right from the start of my pregnancies .........

I often have vivid dreams squidge and the most spectacular wasn't related to pregnancy. In fact I had a vivid dream last night but I'm not pregnant (or at least I don't think I am - otherwise various questions could be asked in "the house" ;))

I use bright pink pens so I have pink lines everywhere. Is this a sign?.....

Could be crayola. Angels often give out mixed messages, coupled with the fact your hormones could be in a state of flux.

Just to be on the safe side, I'll cast onto my knitting pins in lemon and white. Meantime, you be sure to look after your famous "pins" and get plenty of rest. :)

joxville
30-Apr-09, 21:27
Meeting up with the dead

Sometimes I think I work with them...they're brains give that impression anyway. :roll:

crayola
24-Apr-10, 15:35
I met my friend again last night. My brakes failed as I was reversing at speed down Pennyland Drive. I lost control and swerved down Brims Road and crashed through the flag fence at the bottom. I skidded in deep mud as I crossed the field and ended up in the huge barn which adjoins the big church next to Pennyland Farm. I managed to crawl out of the car but wasn't sure if I was dead or alive. I spoke to some hooded faceless people in the barn before emerging into the doorway of the church. Have you ever been inside that church? It's huge inside, much bigger than it looks from the outside, with an ornate roof that's more redolent of high Anglican tastes than anything Presbyterian I've ever experienced. Anyway, my friend welcomed me into her world as I entered the church. We spoke for a few minutes but I told her I wasn't going any further and I ran like hell for the fire exit when she wasn't looking. To my great relief I broke through the door unscathed whereupon I emerged into bright sunlight on Castlegreen Road. The outside walls of the church were black but fading into transparency, the birds were singing and I was none the worse for my ideal. A lucky escape perhaps?
Almost a year to the day I went back to the big church adjoining Pennyland Farm. An enormous chain gang of hooded faceless drones was demolishing it with giant scythes powered by lasers from the sunset over Hoy. They fired lasers at my heart and I felt the dull thud as the black beams hit my chest. But the beams didn't burn me and the mages cringed as they realised they had lost me. They tried some more but they failed again so they attacked the wall of the church in unison with renewed vigour. After five minutes of relentless onslaught the whole church vanished in a huge cloud of black smoke that was edged with fairy dust. It left no rubble and the sheep they'd killed when they built the church came back to life. They were unaware they'd been dead and gone for 400 years.

John Little
24-Apr-10, 15:49
A lot of how people react to posts like this depends on their own experiences because you tend to disbelieve what you cannot see. As I have grown older I have come to accept that I do not know everything. This helps me in turn to accept that there are things I cannot explain. Some have happened to me, and some to others.

I still remember the day my grandfather was frightened. It was his habit to get up at 4.00am and have a cup of coffee that was mostly condensed milk in the kitchen, with a cigarette - and that was his breakfast. I can still see him and smell the smoke now in my mind, 40 years after his death.

When he had finished he would go out the back door and down the lonnings, one after another, walking about a mile and a half to work at the steel works for the morning shift. He preferred the lonnings but I do not know why.

One day he was going back after a week's holiday and in the dark of the early morning he passed a man he knew coming the opposite way.
'Good morning Don' he said as the bloke passed. The other man stopped, turned and said 'Good morning Jack' and went on his way.

At work, during the talk over tea he mentioned he'd seen Don and that he must have changed shift - and every man went quiet.

'Jack - Don dropped dead last Tuesday - you can't have seen him.'

My grandfather never used the back lonnings again.

Believe as you wish - I don't care one way or t'other.

rich
24-Apr-10, 16:08
Great TV show DEAD LIKE ME.
It's about Grim Reapers. (Soul gatherers)
If it's available in the Benighted Kingdom give it a try.

crayola
24-Apr-10, 16:20
Great TV show DEAD LIKE ME.
It's about Grim Reapers. (Soul gatherers)
If it's available in the Benighted Kingdom give it a try.
The figures demolishing Pennyland Church looked remarkably like this depiction of a reaper.

http://i44.tinypic.com/2zemg00.jpg

It's rare that one sees reapers in such numbers in Thurso, I believe this was a once in a lifetime opportunity.

crayola
24-Apr-10, 16:58
This helps me in turn to accept that there are things I cannot explain.
There are things many of us can't explain. Thanks for your story.

I am so creative I could be an oneirologist's dream. I can create enough detail to write a novella in what can't be much more than a minute of REM.

John Little
24-Apr-10, 17:05
Your brain is producing quite a lot of output - maybe you should write the novella.

But the title of your thread is meeting the dead, and this is where people get confounded. Many just don't believe in such tripe. Others do, because they have experienced things they cannot explain. I've had a few things happen to me which are just weird - like the ghost in my house - but I do not wish to take over your thread.

Suffice to say that I have come to believe that there is something in this stuff. I'm not religious either.

crayola
24-Apr-10, 18:15
I have some loose connections with the new Scottish Writers' Centre and I'm thinking of applying for the MLitt in Creative Writing (http://www.gla.ac.uk/departments/englishliterature/postgraduatestudies/creativewriting/mlittincreativewriting/) at Glasgow Uni.

Some believe we communicate with the dead via a cosmic consciousness field that permeates the universe. Others believe that the field was created by aliens and they use it to communicate instantaneously over cosmic distances.

Others are simply mad. :lol:

John Little
24-Apr-10, 21:08
I was on the Isle of Skye and it was pouring - no weather for cycling so I checked into B and B. The next morning it was still pouring so I asked to stay another night - which was fine. Having secured a dry place for the night I decided on a 40 mile circular ride from Portree in the rain to have a look at the land.

An hour's cycling after breakfast I needed a pee more than ever in life but could not. I am a modest man and there was no cover on the road where I was - with dozens of cars passing me, snouts pressed to the window with nothing more in the desert landscape to stare at but the mad cyclist in the rain.

I came to the coast almost mad with the need, and saw a clump of trees between the road and the sea - and sped towards it, jumping off my bike and running down a path twixt a high wall and the road embankment.
It was a cemetery. I could not do what I wished to do in there.

Frantic I opened the iron gate which creaked and looked at tall trees and overgrown graves. To great joy I saw that the wall of the cemetery had fallen outwards into a field so I trotted to it and saw a stream underneath flowing direct into the sea. Standing on the pile of fallen wall I let loose Niagara into the stream outside the wall. Looking sideways I saw a ruined church overgrown with ivy down near the sea and thought I would go and look at it.

I finished, turned - and a voice between my ears said diamond clear 'Get out!'

I did not argue or think about it but I walked up through the cemetery and out the gate. Yes walked - I felt like running but did not, for every hair on my head was prickling.

Reaching my bike I did 45 mph on a slightly downwards road for a mile - I was very fit in those days.

My wife wants to go there.

Well she may do so. But I will wait in the car; with the engine running.

rambo1978
24-Apr-10, 21:40
wow can i have some of that please?

John Little
24-Apr-10, 21:46
No - it's all mine - and the bottle's nearly empty!

rambo1978
24-Apr-10, 21:59
Surely you can save a glass for me John?

Pretty sure that stuff could take me to the moon and back ;)

John Little
24-Apr-10, 22:02
Cuvee Chasseur 2009. It would be finished by the time you got here!

Unless you were referring to the 45mph in which I jest you not- but it was quite an experience to have I do assure you.

And I was stone sober! :confused

Dadie
24-Apr-10, 22:10
I wonder about my daughter Lauren and her imaginary friend!
Is her imaginary friends real/someone I cannot see ie a ghost etc... or her imagination on overdrive!
And do I indulge this or tell her its not real?
And my hubby sometimes says I predict things before they happen that are out the ordinary and I know who is phoning at the 1st ring sometimes...

Moira
25-Apr-10, 00:22
I <snip>

Others are simply mad. :lol:

I read all of your post and will go with the latter. :cool:

onecalledk
25-Apr-10, 18:48
I wonder about my daughter Lauren and her imaginary friend!
Is her imaginary friends real/someone I cannot see ie a ghost etc... or her imagination on overdrive!
And do I indulge this or tell her its not real?
And my hubby sometimes says I predict things before they happen that are out the ordinary and I know who is phoning at the 1st ring sometimes...

Children are very "open" to everything around them, society then tends to quash this in children and they then close down these senses as they seek to "fit in" with the rest of society.

Your childs imaginary friend could be anyone, it could be an angelic presence, it could be someone in your family who has passed over, anyone. Why dont you ask your child to describe the friend or get more information from her?

We live in a world with limited senses. We are bound by the human condition of only being able to see a certain spectrum of colour/light and hear within a certain sound range. Most of society will state that anything that is outwith this range of senses doesnt exist. But we breathe air and cant see it and it exits. Dogs can hear sounds that humans cannot but that doesnt mean the sound doesnt exist.

Those amongs the human race who have learnt to open themselves up and to extend their range of senses are those who are clairaudient, clairvoyant, clairsentient. We could all with some training and work be able to do this.

There are also those who CLAIM to have broadened their human senses and have not, thus creating doubt amongst society.

Just because we cannot see it with our eyes does not mean something does not exits, just because we cannot hear something also doesnt mean it doesnt exist.

The human body is a limited vehicle if you want to describe it as such. There is a lot more to the world than we can feel, hear,see and experience.

K

crayola
01-May-10, 00:52
Was my escape from Pennyland Farm merely an illusion? Am I already dead?

I lost my hand in accident two nights ago and was surprised to discover it was attached with wires. Am I a plant from the spirit world?

John Little
01-May-10, 15:29
Yep - a Triffid! :lol:

crayola
01-May-10, 17:58
My brain is like a Tardis. I can dream a whole movie in less than a minute.

Mrs Bucket
01-May-10, 19:25
The power of the mind dont diss it.

crayola
01-May-10, 20:00
The power of the mind dont diss it.
Our minds are powerful Mrs B but you can't say the same for everyone. :)

Dadie
01-May-10, 21:19
Hmmn one of Laurens imaginary friends is a pink mouse... definately think that one is make believe:lol:

crayola
13-Jun-10, 00:42
I was engaged in some extra-curricular activity with my ex-husband early this morning when I was visited by John Little and George Brims. Why I should have chosen that pair to visit me during my Saturday morning slumbers is currently beyond my conscious ken, but choose them I somehow did. I have forgotten why they came and what happened when they arrived but I shall inform you if and when I remember. :confused

ducati
13-Jun-10, 05:20
Quote John Little: “Your brain is producing quite a lot of output”

Quote Crayola: “I have some loose connections”

Possible explaination? :eek:

John Little
13-Jun-10, 07:24
I came to tell you that George Brims wanted to talk to you.
I even dragged him with me, and very unwilling he was. But when I got him there he was too shy to speak - the great lunk! :Razz

northener
13-Jun-10, 22:11
I'll stick with this bottle of Glenfiddich. I may have an out of body experience in about three hours.....

..and awake to find the the angels have taken more than their fair share and left me staring, bleary eyed, at an empty bottle.

B...d angels.

crayola
27-Jun-10, 14:06
I woke up a few weeks ago and could see something that wasn't there. I was terrified but I could see it with my eyes closed so I really really really knew it wasn't there. I took a shower and I could still see it with or without my eyes closed. I washed my hair and I washed myself and I could still see it. I was still terrified. I came out of the shower and it went away. I haven't seen it since and I must have erased it from my brain because I can't even remember what it was I could see, but I know it wasn't there.

teenybash
27-Jun-10, 15:03
I woke up a few weeks ago and could see something that wasn't there. I was terrified but I could see it with my eyes closed so I really really really knew it wasn't there. I took a shower and I could still see it with or without my eyes closed. I washed my hair and I washed myself and I could still see it. I was still terrified. I came out of the shower and it went away. I haven't seen it since and I must have erased it from my brain because I can't even remember what it was I could see, but I know it wasn't there.

What you takin' girl.....??:)

Tom Cornwall
30-Jun-10, 19:26
I think she could read my mind because she seemed happy with my reaction. I asked where she lived, she said her base was hidden below the surface of Mars

when she said the above, that should trigger some doubt in what's going on...

Ash87
01-Jul-10, 01:11
I always have pretty vivid dreams... I'd love to know where they came from! The mind is very powerful.

One of my old friends from uni could actually control what he did in his dreams, he said it happened about once every couple of months and that it was the most amazing experience. He said he knew he was dreaming and would fly, swim under the sea, rob banks etc. He could do whatever he wanted and knew he'd never get caught because he knew he was dreaming!

I had the same dream every night for five nights once... it was really strange :-s That was a few years ago and I think it involved being up on the hill in Dunnet... weird :)

katarina
02-Jul-10, 10:35
I always have pretty vivid dreams... I'd love to know where they came from! The mind is very powerful.

One of my old friends from uni could actually control what he did in his dreams, he said it happened about once every couple of months and that it was the most amazing experience. He said he knew he was dreaming and would fly, swim under the sea, rob banks etc. He could do whatever he wanted and knew he'd never get caught because he knew he was dreaming!

I had the same dream every night for five nights once... it was really strange :-s That was a few years ago and I think it involved being up on the hill in Dunnet... weird :)

I could have a night with George Cluny!

Anfield
02-Jul-10, 18:45
I thought this was a thread about The Grateful Dead and thought yes! something to brighten up a boring Friday.

cherokee
02-Jul-10, 18:51
"Whilst I was going up the stairs,
I met a man who wasn't there!
He wasn't there again, today,
Oh! How I wished he'd go away !!":roll:

annthracks
02-Jul-10, 19:12

It's called lucid dreaming and it's not difficult :-)

crayola
08-Aug-10, 00:00
I can do lucid dreaming and what's more I can now do it while I'm awake.

This afternoon I lay on the sofa. Within minutes I was floating around the room and changing channels on the TV. I floated outside briefly but I was aware that my dual existence of lying on the sofa and floating in the garden endangered my survival and after my heart was on the verge of stopping beating for the second time I floated back in through the window. Neil Oliver was still on the TV when I landed safely and he smiled at me from one of the Channel Islands. That pleased me.

crayola
08-Aug-10, 00:14
It may be that time of year but I can do it without physical stimulants of any form. I'm good in that respect.

Nacho
08-Aug-10, 00:46
don't dismiss the shroom as a physical stimulant ...

http://rlv.zcache.com/john_donne_metaphysical_tshirt-p235915241532759543u34v_400.jpg

Neil Oliver is your modern day John Donne, don't ignore the signs ;)

crayola
09-Aug-10, 01:29
I don't need stimulants of that sort.

I haven't met John Donne yet. Have you?

Bazeye
09-Aug-10, 01:53

Glad you mentioned that, I thought it was just me.

oldmarine
09-Aug-10, 05:33

She must have been on something that she cannot describe. :roll:[lol]

crayola
02-Oct-10, 00:48
It happened not too long after I discarded my glass bra before going to my bed. Despite it being dark I could see Ed Miliband moving about inside it as expected. It was supposed to be an Ed Miliband controlled bra after all. But I could tell that David was there even though he wasn't supposed to be. Ed was ignoring him. He was trying to convince us that he (and he alone) was in charge of the bra. But I knew David was there, and Ed knew David was there and Ed was worried. Big time worried.

What was worse was that keen-eyed political watchers (such as this bra owner) could see an old white-haired bespectacled figure wearing a black jacket in the background. What's afoot? What was afoot was the owner of longest suicide note in history thinking he could guide Ed to success.

Some dead people should stay dead before they bestow their inherent failures on their descendents. The balding red haired Welshman also seems to have forgotten why he never made the pinnacle. Ed won't ever gain control of my glass bra if he follows the black donkey and the man that did the donkey work shouldn't forget why he had to cast himself out eighteen years ago.

I never met the white-haired man while he was alive. I hope he doesn't influence Bed Ed too much. Someone will kill him if he does. And Ed's ambition too.

John Little
02-Oct-10, 09:23
Quite a titillating allegory really.

Clearly you cast yourself as Britannia, analogous to the ruling deity. The bra represents the riches and wealth of this country now potentially in the control of Ed whom you call Bed Ed because you find him attractive. Yet you see him as a mannikin so have feelings of superiority to him - you see him with a mixture of interest and revulsion.

But David has not gone away - the game is not over I think. It's a bit like McDonald and Wheatley really.

You are right about Kinnock. Foot merely lost touch with what was obvious.

Guild socialism failed; but it was always going to fail because society is far more diverse that socialists thought. The great contradiction of socialism was that the more you spread the wealth the weaker the socialist impulse becomes.

But you are wrong about the dead people staying dead. It has nothing to do with them at all. It's the party itself - it is not really a party at all and its components are at war with each other and always have been. The people are irrelevant - it's the ideas that live on.....

crayola
02-Oct-10, 17:43
Quite a titillating allegory really.

Clearly you cast yourself as Britannia, analogous to the ruling deity. The bra represents the riches and wealth of this country now potentially in the control of Ed whom you call Bed Ed because you find him attractive. Yet you see him as a mannikin so have feelings of superiority to him - you see him with a mixture of interest and revulsion.
Good grief, you make me sound like Margaret Thatcher with the Britannia bit! :lol:

You were on the right track with the bra but ended up in the burn that runs beside it. The bra represented the Labour party and the two cups were its left and right wings. Ed was supposed to be in control of the right one and that's why he was having problems.

Ed is a successful 40 year old man who isn't ugly but I am not attracted to him at all. Which is odd. :confused

I am more bemused and worried than interested and revulsed. There has been no opposition to the UK government since the election and I am surprised that the Labour Party chose him to take on the role of the leader of the opposition. I hope I am wrong and that he will be good but I am not optimistic. I'm told he has a good brain and I hope they are right.

I called him Bed Ed because I was in bed and Bed rhymes with Ed and I hope he's not Red. That bit was just silly.

But David has not gone away - the game is not over I think. It's a bit like McDonald and Wheatley really. Perhaps but is it not more like Wilson and Jenkins than Macdonald and Wheatley? Or even Macdonald and Burger King.

You might be interested to hear that Wheatley is still revered in some socialist circles here.

You are right about Kinnock. Foot merely lost touch with what was obvious.Was Foot ever in touch with what was obvious? I didn't vote for him nor would I ever have done.

Guild socialism failed; but it was always going to fail because society is far more diverse that socialists thought. The great contradiction of socialism was that the more you spread the wealth the weaker the socialist impulse becomes.

But you are wrong about the dead people staying dead. It has nothing to do with them at all. It's the party itself - it is not really a party at all and its components are at war with each other and always have been. The people are irrelevant - it's the ideas that live on.....Aren't all established parties like that? Ed should banish the ghost of Foot if it ever visits him and he should keep the carroted one well away from him if he doesn't want to suffer the same fate as him.

Note the use of quotes. ;)

John Little
02-Oct-10, 18:31
The point about Ed and the unions is that they want to be the opposition.
Dave would have done his own thing.
With Ed at the helm I think we shall see more union influence on Labour than in the last 13 years.

I am not surprised that Wheatley is still revered - along with McLean and Kirkbride - but not Shinwell!! But syndicalism is selfish, exclusive and ultimately doomed. Wheatley did, ultimately, deliver and hundreds of thousands of people lived in decent homes because of him. Credit where it is due.

Maybe Butler and MacMillan is more like.....?

On the other hand there was a time in the late 1940s when Foot really had his finger on Britain's pulse. Trouble was that Britain moved on and Foot did not. But fair play to him - he stayed true to Socialism and I do not see him as a syndicalist - he was a parliamentarian.

I applaud your use of quotes.

I shall not, however, seek to emulate you. I like to keep life simple.

crayola
03-Oct-10, 13:41
Ok I shall for once also not use quotes.

Perhaps you're right about the unions wanting to be the opposition. After being battered by Thatcherism for almost two decades they lost most of their influence over Labour policy during the Blair/Brown era. They will feel Ed owes them and they like the idea of bringing down a Tory government. And Ed needs a period in opposition to learn the job, just as Cameron and Blair did before him.

But if Ed and the Unions try to return to syndicalism or any other form of corporatism they will likely earn themselves another two decades in the wilderness. Unless the current government really messes up or self destructs.

Butler and Macmillan? Yes absolutely!

John Little
03-Oct-10, 13:45
That is Labour's problem in a nutshell. They began because the unions needed to react to political problems; the unions wanted representation in Parliament. But the moment they involved the socialist organisations they dod two things; they ensured that the party would have its own distinct ideology, and they also split its soul because the two sides wants totally different things.

But no - they do not prosper when the unions dominate.

Which is why their effectiveness as an opposition in the coming years may be very limited. We needed Ed like a hole in the head....

oldmarine
03-Oct-10, 14:50

Wow! Was that a dream or a nightmare? All kidding aside, it sounds like a pleasant experience.

crayola
03-Oct-10, 20:18
Wow! Was that a dream or a nightmare? All kidding aside, it sounds like a pleasant experience.
It was neither a dream nor a nightmare. It was part of my life, real or not.

katarina
04-Oct-10, 00:13
looik, if you really want to meet up with the dead, it's really easy. just spend the night in Portgower.

crayola
09-Oct-10, 16:29
looik, if you really want to meet up with the dead, it's really easy. just spend the night in Portgower.Who needs Portgower when you can spend all night on the Org? :D

crayola
16-Oct-10, 01:53
That is Labour's problem in a nutshell. They began because the unions needed to react to political problems; the unions wanted representation in Parliament. But the moment they involved the socialist organisations they dod two things; they ensured that the party would have its own distinct ideology, and they also split its soul because the two sides wants totally different things.

But no - they do not prosper when the unions dominate.

Which is why their effectiveness as an opposition in the coming years may be very limited. We needed Ed like a hole in the head....
I am sometimes led to despair by the level of discussion on the Org but now and again I read some of the crypto-Orwellian-by-proxy fantasy published on the letters page of the Groat and I realise how isolated some people can be when they don't have the collected wisdom of the Org to put them right. For example look at this letter in today's Groat...

Candidate’s support for Red Ed is worrying (http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/8794/Candidate_92s_support_for_Red_Ed_is_worrying.html)

I may be a little worried about Ed and you JL are perhaps more worried than I, but that letter is so ludicrously detached from any earthly reality that it could have been written by our good friend fred if he was on the other side of the political divide. Or by Stavro on one of his saner days.

Indeed it must have been a slow news day because the letters page in today's groat included another deluded diatribe.....

The race is on all over the world to become self-reliant in energy generation (http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/8795/_The_race_is_on_all_over_the_world_to_become_self-reliant_in_energy_generation.html)

Caithness is a truly wonderful place to live and as such it offers its letter writers the opportunity to make up 'facts' with the levels of impunity that wouldn't go unnoticed elsewhere. It almost makes me want to come back home to join them. :)

I'm sorry for taking this thread so far off topic but I'm sure I shall have something more on topic following my Advanced Daydreaming Lesson tomorrow. :)

David Banks
16-Oct-10, 02:28
For my first post on the Org I humbly offer the following thoughts and observations on dreams.

The evidence seems pretty convincing that only humans dream, which kicks into touch the idea that dreaming has any evolutionary adaptive function.

If I may add an anecdote. One day, my dog had an exciting day chasing rabbits and one hare. That evening, lying sound asleep on his side in front of the fire, he dreamed of his exciting escapades, complete with moving his legs in a running motion and yipping like little war crys.
From then, I have been convinced that dogs, not just humans can experience dreams.

Aaldtimer
16-Oct-10, 03:01
From then, I have been convinced that dogs, not just humans can experience dreams.

Oh yes David, mighty chases, and not only that, bad dreams...wakening growling at some unseen foe!:eek:

crayola
16-Oct-10, 10:07
Oh yes David, mighty chases, and not only that, bad dreams...wakening growling at some unseen foe!:eek:
Which unseen foe do you wake up growling at AT? :)

Aaldtimer
16-Oct-10, 21:08
Which unseen foe do you wake up growling at AT? :)

:roll: Not me silly, our wee Westie I'm talking about.:lol:

crayola
16-Oct-10, 22:50
:roll: Not me silly, our wee Westie I'm talking about.:lol:You woke up growling at your wee westie? :confused

Aaldtimer
17-Oct-10, 03:11
You woke up growling at your wee westie? :confused

:roll:OK, Crayo, I'll spell it out for you. Our wee Westie Sam often has lots of runs chasing rabbits in his sleep, accompanied by the woofs and yips.
He also can waken suddenly out a sleep and be growling at something that always seems to be behind him.
Maybe it's just his farts! But I never get any smells from him.:)

Is that clear enough for you?
I don't dream much meself!
Well, not that I remember anyway.

crayola
17-Oct-10, 21:40
I love it that you and your westie share the same dreams. He is lucky to have you.

crayola
24-Oct-10, 02:10
Last night I was trying to travel along the straight line from yesterday to today, as one does every night. But for some reason last night that involved taking a detour around a semi-circle. I could get around the semi-circle but I didn't understand how I did it so I kept going back. I still couldn't figure it out when I awoke this morning. But somehow I had made it without knowing how. :confused

I think my house may be haunted by a ghost witch.

I lost my reading glasses this afternoon. This isn't a rarity so I wasn't any more upset than I would be usually. Then my Cillit Bang bottle disappeared. That was a shock! Then the cloth I was using to clean the kitchen disappeared. That was a second shock. Then I felt a hand on my shoulder. I turned around and no-one was there. That was a huge shock! I was alone in the kitchen and there was no-one else in the house!

This was no dream. It was real. :eek:

I felt that hand. How?

Metalattakk
24-Oct-10, 02:45
This was no dream. It was real. :eek:

I felt that hand. How?

Easy.

Yer aff yer heid.

Next!

John Little
24-Oct-10, 08:33
Cillit Bang is used to decontaminate radioactive surfaces I think.....

Rheghead
24-Oct-10, 12:42
Why would the dead die to get away from us all and then find themselves mingling amongst us again? That just doesn't make sense to me.

crayola
24-Oct-10, 13:17
Cillit Bang is used to decontaminate radioactive surfaces I think.....
Ha ha yes. I remember reading that.

I spent most of yesterday with my best friends Dettol, Cillit Bang, Toilet Duck and my alltime best friend Shower Sparkle.

Until the undead ghost witch took Cillit away from me. [disgust]

What I didn't say in my previous post was that I cursed the ghost using words that only the sisterhood know. She vanished instantly after returning Cillit and my specs. But she escaped with my cloth. :(

Paul_and_Anna
24-Oct-10, 13:30
Easy.

Yer aff yer heid.

Next!

I wish you hadn't posted this little bit of sarcasm, it damn near gave me a stitch through laughing too much!

Each to their own, as they say .......... :) :)

crayola
30-Oct-10, 01:11
I was driving home tonight when I drove past my younger self heading into town for a night out. I was wearing knee-length suede boots with embarrassingly low heels and a short dark skirt with dark brown tights which unbelievably were fashionable at the time. What I can't remember is the identity of the man I was with. I think he was an American ambassador's son but I don't know how or why I knew him. Is my memory playing games? Was I too high on red-top fame to remember? Am I fantasising? Or have I already died and am seeing my life flash before me?

My friends from the 60s tell me that 80s London made 60s London look like a teddy bears' picnic. I'm not old enough to remember the 60s but I do remember being seduced by the London Devil in the 80s. :eek:

John Little
30-Oct-10, 09:22
Gulp!

You mean you had a date with Simon Price?

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Media/Columnists/Columnists/2008/9/30/1222766717726/simonprice460.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/mediamonkeyblog/2008/sep/30/independentonsunday.pressandpublishing&usg=__acPIeY_5u8d8Qft5g9U-Fq1_TrA=&h=276&w=460&sz=49&hl=en&start=0&sig2=yzhHRxhO6M8oEZ71PVSe8A&zoom=1&tbnid=DiOCXvF4vPHA9M:&tbnh=138&tbnw=186&ei=c9XLTL3NNsyUOuvQxYIB&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsimon%2Bprice%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26cl ient%3Dsafari%26rls%3Den%26biw%3D1228%26bih%3D582% 26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=117&vpy=89&dur=1477&hovh=174&hovw=290&tx=152&ty=131&oei=c9XLTL3NNsyUOuvQxYIB&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=19&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0

:eek:

crayola
30-Oct-10, 15:30
Gulp!

You mean you had a date with Simon Price?

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Media/Columnists/Columnists/2008/9/30/1222766717726/simonprice460.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/mediamonkeyblog/2008/sep/30/independentonsunday.pressandpublishing&usg=__acPIeY_5u8d8Qft5g9U-Fq1_TrA=&h=276&w=460&sz=49&hl=en&start=0&sig2=yzhHRxhO6M8oEZ71PVSe8A&zoom=1&tbnid=DiOCXvF4vPHA9M:&tbnh=138&tbnw=186&ei=c9XLTL3NNsyUOuvQxYIB&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsimon%2Bprice%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26cl ient%3Dsafari%26rls%3Den%26biw%3D1228%26bih%3D582% 26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=117&vpy=89&dur=1477&hovh=174&hovw=290&tx=152&ty=131&oei=c9XLTL3NNsyUOuvQxYIB&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=19&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0

:eek:
This was the 1980s John. We had real devils then. Including She-devils. One lived at Number 10. :eek:

crayola
17-Nov-13, 14:52
Last night I was having dinner with a dear friend through in Wick. After the main course I left my friend's husband sleeping and went out for some air while my host prepared the dessert. Unfortunately I'd partaken of a little too much fine white wine and I became lost in the underground shopping centre. I found my way into the street where I met a young girl who seemed to know me by reputation. We chatted about personal issues until a man with a hood and no face started moving towards us. His scythe had such a long handle that he repeatedly tripped over it. This gave my new friend and I the opportunity to cadge a lift with the driver of a passing model T Ford. This was my first encounter with the dead in my county since my adventure at Pennyland Farm.

canuck
17-Nov-13, 18:10
Oh, crayola, I so miss the fun old days.

Now that through your adventures you have warned us to watch out for other world friends, I'll keeper closer watch and pay more attention to the familiar people I see in the streets.

I was wondering if your past life friends move around. See, I don't know anybody who has lived in Lerwick. Maybe I'm not able to make the same contacts you can while I reside here.

On a somewhat different topic, Lerwick and Shetland are absolutely beautiful. 5 days of 40mph wind cleans out the atmosphere and one can breathe pure unpolluted air. :D

David Banks
18-Nov-13, 00:41

Welcome to the org!

I would be interested in the sources of your "evidence"

-- only because, I vividly recall my dog in Scarfskerry having one very exciting day out roaming the village with me. He sprung a hare and had a good long chase.

That evening, in his usual four-paws-up sleeping posture, he relived his experience yelping as he had done during the real pursuit, and moving his legs/bending his back in his "flat-out" speed running action. Good thing he was on the floor.

If that wasn't dreaming, then . . . . but the evidence will have to be convincing!

orkneycadian
18-Nov-13, 19:50
Last night I was having dinner with a dear friend through in Wick. After the main course I left my friend's husband sleeping and went out for some air while my host prepared the dessert. Unfortunately I'd partaken of a little too much fine white wine and I became lost in the underground shopping centre. I found my way into the street where I met a young girl who seemed to know me by reputation. We chatted about personal issues until a man with a hood and no face started moving towards us. His scythe had such a long handle that he repeatedly tripped over it. This gave my new friend and I the opportunity to cadge a lift with the driver of a passing model T Ford. This was my first encounter with the dead in my county since my adventure at Pennyland Farm.

Right, so where do you get this fine white wine?

RagnarRocks
18-Nov-13, 21:21
Aye it may have been fine and white but the hallucinogenic properties of the wine ( ahem ) seem astounding

crayola
20-Nov-13, 21:08
the fine white wine came from my friend's wine store in her pantry. I'm unsure about whether the dead travel in the afterlife. To sleep, perchance to dream? Yes but we know not where.

orkneycadian
20-Nov-13, 22:36
Did she get it from Tesco?

It must have been good gear before it knocked her man out before pudding, and she herself must be able to take a good bucket if she can continue with making the sweet while her man sleeps it off, and her guest is on a "trip" around Wick!

crayola
22-Nov-13, 21:53
She got the wine from her pantry and her husband was asleep in his bed even before I arrived! Last night I met a young woman with the same name as a girl I was at school with. She is 22 but she looks 12. I'm still not sure if this is good or bad.

orkneycadian
24-Nov-13, 12:56
Co-incidentally, last night, I too met a woman with the same name as a girl I was at school with. But then, I do know quite a few Alisons. She is about 40, but looked about 50, if thats any help. Don't tell her I said that though....

crayola
30-Nov-13, 12:27
This young woman's first and second names were the same as those of the girl I was at school with and she wasn't called Alison. I'd like to take my old trusty Nimbus 2000 for a trip around the sun in search of comet remnants. Anyone fancy a twosome tonight? It could be a dream come true.

canuck
30-Nov-13, 17:36
I'll go. My work is done for the day. But the wind is fierce in Shetland right now and I fear that your broom wouldn't be able to land.

crayola
01-Dec-13, 19:00
I'm sorry I missed you. There's no need to land in the wind because we headed south before launching from the equator. It was a fine night for a flight with no clouds and very little breeze even at high altitude. We tracked the comet which will be heading our way soon. Join us next time and your dream can come true.

canuck
02-Dec-13, 22:10
I would really like that. Please keep me on your list of potential guests for the trip.

orkneycadian
03-Dec-13, 19:15
I'm not so fussed about the flight, but if you could put my name down for a case of that fine white wine....

crayola
05-Dec-13, 23:21
I shall pass on your request to my friend although as far as I know she doesn't deliver to the islands.

crayola
05-Dec-13, 23:22
I shall invite you sooner on to my next flight canuck.

RagnarRocks
06-Dec-13, 00:04
I'm not so fussed about the flight, but if you could put my name down for a case of that fine white wine....You'll probably find some at nigellas

Big Gaz
06-Dec-13, 00:34
You'll probably find some at nigellas

don't you mean some fine white powder? :D

RagnarRocks
06-Dec-13, 10:18
don't you mean some fine white powder? :DI would never dare make such a libellous statement with all the court proceedings going on. Are you related to Peaches by any chance :0))

crayola
07-Dec-13, 23:57
Last night my pal and I flew down to New Zealand. We had a break for ginger biscuits over Singapore and we stopped to watch the cricket in Australia for a couple of hours. We spoke to a pig in a green field near Wellington and a fellow witch gave us refreshments in a tree house in the outskirts of Auckland. We flew back via the South Pole and Cape Town. It was altogether a refreshing and revitalising excursion.

orkneycadian
08-Dec-13, 11:46
...... a fellow witch gave us refreshments in a tree house in the outskirts of Auckland.

Its fortunate that you know so many folk around the place that stocks that mind bending "fine white wine" so you can get the blood levels replenished before the return journey.

crayola
27-Dec-13, 19:03
On occasion I meet up with the living. During last night I visited Lybster where I saw a well known Orger without her long black wig. She is as bald as a melon in real life. Then a visit to my home town where gleeber was boiling an egg and a chicken on a 1950s cooker to try to find out which came first. His kitchen was full of steam and his brow sweated like a freshly squeezed hot lemon. His brown cords were tied by ropes at his ankles to prevent anything escaping. He wouldn't accept that his experiments are as futile as trying to raise the dead from ancient burial brochs. On the way home I saw Phill flapping his arms impatiently at windmills. His eyes were imploring them to stop before gleeber's pots exploded with all the extra free electricity they were producing that night. The hair of the Lybster orger was already standing on end. It reached fully four feet into the sky and her feverish screams could be heard across the Ord as far away as Brora. Thank the Goddess no-one died.

canuck
27-Dec-13, 20:39
I enjoy nice quiet, peaceful evenings in Lerwick. But your adventures crayola keep me from being bored.

So relieved to read that gleeber was not injured in his latest living life experiment.

orkneycadian
29-Dec-13, 13:42
It suddenly dawned on me that my friend had died more than 20 years ago and she was now working as a liaison officer between our world and 'the other side'.

Would this friend, and copious quantities of the fine white wine be any help in getting in touch with departed orgers?

crayola
29-Dec-13, 14:01
I don't know. I haven't seen her since that day. She wasn't one for the drink.

orkneycadian
29-Dec-13, 15:54
Has the liasion work dried up for her? If thats her job, then she would need to show face a bit more if she is going to be able to do any liaising.

crayola
30-Dec-13, 00:49
I don't know. Maybe she only liaises with the nearly dead or with the faceless hooded reapers.

crayola
06-Jan-14, 09:35
Early this morning an old fighter jet from the joint Finnish-Australian Air Force came through my bedroom window and half demolished the wall. The pilot smiled and apologised before reversing out and flying away never to be seen again by me. The Australians apologised and blamed the dead pilot for smoking while flying. But I knew he wasn't dead because he smiled at me. They said he mistook my street for Wick Airport but I don't see how he could have done that. The plane was carrying crates of zebras and water buffalo for the new zoo at Halkirk. It's a big zoo that stretches more than halfway to Thurso. Its plan is to be famous for its zebras, parrots and elephants.

Mrs Bradey
06-Jan-14, 10:33
Early this morning an old fighter jet from the joint Finnish-Australian Air Force came through my bedroom window and half demolished the wall. The pilot smiled and apologised before reversing out and flying away never to be seen again by me. The Australians apologised and blamed the dead pilot for smoking while flying. But I knew he wasn't dead because he smiled at me. They said he mistook my street for Wick Airport but I don't see how he could have done that. The plane was carrying crates of zebras and water buffalo for the new zoo at Halkirk. It's a big zoo that stretches more than halfway to Thurso. Its plan is to be famous for its zebras, parrots and elephants. has Rachel Scheme finished the feasibility study for this project in Halkirk?

crayola
08-Feb-14, 12:29
Last night I was driving over the long bridge across the Thames when the engine on my car shut down. So did everyone else's. I couldn't start it again. There was no noise when I pressed the starter button. It was the same for everyone else. The door was locked. I couldn't open it. It was the same for everyone else. Was it a terrorist attack connected with the Olympics or an alien kidnap attempt? I escaped it by passing through to a parallel world.

RagnarRocks
08-Feb-14, 13:54
Probably an emp pulse from Mi5 and more this likely you got dragged off by catching on to the vortex created by Dr Who's Tardis he is always whizzing around London and the Highlands :0))

crayola
09-Feb-14, 13:34
There was a giant indoor shopping centre hovering about two metres above the river and approaching the bridge from the east. It shone a bright light in our direction. Could that be it?

orkneycadian
12-Feb-14, 18:50
You really shouldn't be driving after consuming that fine white wine. If they don't get you with the breathalyser, they certainly will with the old "driving whilst unfit through drink or drugs".

crayola
15-Feb-14, 19:25
This morning I flew back from Switzerland without my passport. They didn't ask for it at Geneva airport and they rarely check passports at Edinburgh. I actually left it in the second last hotel I stayed in in Switzerland! It was in a drawer and the hotel staff had already found it. The room had previously been used by a man who had died swimming in an almost frozen lake. Rumour has it that the room is cursed. I will try to contact my liaison mage friend and ask her to ask the dead Swiss man to stop haunting the room. Meanwhile they have sent my passport back to me by special mail. I hope it comes before Tuesday because I'm due to go into space on Tuesday.

orkneycadian
16-Feb-14, 14:03
I'm due to go into space on Tuesday.

I think you are already there dear....

crayola
18-Apr-14, 12:43
I spent last night in New York learning how to bring the dead back to life. We started with Lou Reed but he's such a tough cookie that we ended up half dead ourselves. We were chased down the coast all the way to Atlantic City by dead faceless hooded ex-rock band members with huge sickles. We eventually gave them the slip and resurfaced at breakfast in Denny's near Santa Monica. Does anyone know what time the Getty Museum opens? :)

crayola
20-Apr-14, 11:29
I didn't go anywhere last night because the airplane tickets my son bought after we missed the flight turned out to not be real. We waited to be taken to the gate for so long that the office shut. We went outside into the streets of LA for some air. It hasn't changed since last time. It was too far to walk to the Getty museum with our luggage. No-one was dead at least. Does any know if it's permitted to take two umbrellas as hand luggage?

crayola
26-Dec-16, 19:12
I was given one hundred bottles of gin for Christmas by my 47 ex brothers in law. I am still working on finding out who gave me more than two bottles. But I digress. There was an obvious storage problem because my garage and my utility room are full of instant tulip mix which I do not want to mix with gin in case they inflate too rapidly. I solved the problem by storing all one hundred bottles in the grid for seven across in last week's cryptic crossword. My best friend says I should patent my discovery and it will make me rich. I am unsure about trying to follow her advice because she died thirty years ago.

I have spent today today wondering whether my best friend knows my liaison mage friend. They didn't know each other in this world as far as I'm aware. They died only two or three years apart which may be relevant.

I also discovered last night that the gleaming white flag stones I previously reported on Victoria Walk can produced one million blank white squares a day for crossword puzzles. They could transform the production of crosswords and the world wide gin storage problem and together they could transform the fortunes of the Walk if they desired. Should we risk turning the rocks below the Walk to giant lobsters?

The Horseman
27-Dec-16, 19:31
Yes, yes, oh yes!

Saveman
08-Jan-17, 09:51
....snip..... I solved the problem by storing all one hundred bottles in the grid for seven across in last week's cryptic crossword. .....snip.......

This is a highly entertaining sentence. It made me laugh and then marvel at the creativity, before worrying about the author!

The Horseman
08-Jan-17, 15:06
Would love Crayola to address me.....
She has 'such vivid thoughts'.

crayola
08-Jan-17, 18:24
This is a highly entertaining sentence. It made me laugh and then marvel at the creativity, before worrying about the author!
Thank you for your kind words and for your concern. But you needn't worry. The bottles of gin are well protected in the crossword, and the safe storage protects me from drinking too much of it myself. I must remember however not to throw out the crossword during my next frantic housework binge!

Goodfellers
08-Jan-17, 20:07
I hope the gin was local Rock Rose, you can't beat it..........or if you can, which is it :-)

crayola
10-Mar-18, 19:27
My liaison mage friend visited me on my computer screen at my work last week. She was two dimensional and monochrome and her lips didn’t move when she spoke clearly in her middle class Edinburgh accent. She hadn’t aged at all since the day she died almost 30 years ago. She wanted to talk about the present not the past which meant I am none the wiser regarding my best friend. She wished me happy birthday and as she spoke some lilies and a rose plant came out of the screen. I thanked her for her thoughtful gifts. She encouraged me to build my Caithness and Sutherland School of Witchcraft below the cliffs at Victoria Walk but she doesn’t wish to be acknowledged as a major donor. There are secrets concerning the origin of humanity buried in the cliffs. She vanished as quickly as she appeared as she had to read the news on the Red Planet channel five minutes previously. I wonder when I will see her again. Probably in Waitrose next to the limes and lemons?

JANJO
12-Mar-18, 12:20
Enchanting

Bogbrush
12-Mar-18, 13:25
More likely next to the organic lightbulbs.

crayola
24-Mar-18, 17:25
Are you sure Waitrose sell organic lightbulbs?

Goodfellers
25-Mar-18, 11:00
As it's a quiet Sunday morning, I googled 'organic lightbulbs' (sad I know!)

OLEDs are not bulbs but films of layered organic semiconductors

..................Well, who knew, and it seems LED lightbulbs use the same technology. I'll check whether Waitrose sell them next time I head South :-)

https://inews.co.uk/news/long-reads/scientists-studying-dogs-like-watch-tv/

orkneycadian
01-May-18, 22:10
Jeez, this place is dead indeed. I last posted in this thread more than 4 years ago. That was some 14 posts before this, and its still on the second page of the General tab. The rumour is true - You really need some livening up about here.

So what of Crayola. Is she still about and taking the potions?

crayola
06-May-18, 01:12
I am a maker not a taker of potions. :p

Has your abstention from the Org been fruitful?

orkneycadian
06-May-18, 14:00
Probably. More time for making ​potions of the homebrewed variety. Essential now that Wee Krankie has insisted that supermarkets must be made to make more profit on hooch.

crayola
06-May-18, 14:39
I didn’t see you as a disenfranchised consumer of strong cheap cider. :)

But you are right. Orgism has died a death around here. If we can’t bring dead Orgers back to life at least we can talk to them in the hope that they may be listening on the other side. They may even join in again if we ruffle their feathers in fun.

orkneycadian
06-May-18, 16:42
Not disenfranchised, but the cider needs to be very cheap. I mean, who in their right mind would pay £4.50 for 3 litres of 7.5% "Frosty Jack" or whatever was being used as an example on the news programmes last week, when you can make 25 litres of 10% plus for less than £20? Now that "Frosty Jack" is about £11 for 3 litres, then home brewing should be enjoying something of a renaissance. Especially this far away from the Carlisle and Berwick branches of Lidl.

crayola
06-May-18, 17:33
Yes but those who rely on Frosty Jack to get through the day may not have the resources to brew up a superior product themselves. Especially if they’ve already suffered premature death. (I’m trying to keep the thread on topic. :) )

orkneycadian
06-May-18, 17:56
True - Some of my brews have caused near death experiences (challenge to stay on topic accepted....) - In fact, there have been some mornings where I thought I had actually gone.

Not sure if you meant to say "resources" above, or "initiative". A £10 food grade barrel, and all those empty Frosty Jack bottles would make in ideal home brew start up kit.

crayola
06-May-18, 18:13
I meant ‘resources’ in both the physical and mental senses. Homeless alcoholics don’t have the former and gumption-dead daytime-tv-oholics lack the latter. Kim Il-Krankie and her cabinet won’t be affected as they wouldn’t touch Frosty Jack and they’ll benefit more if they have shares in Tesco, Asda et al.

j4bberw0ck
06-May-18, 21:35
Ah hah! Did someone say "dead Orgers"? (ish) :-)

Good to see you still jabbering away, Crayola!

crayola
07-May-18, 10:18
Good grief! Dead Orgers are coming out of the woodwork everywhere!

welcome home J4bber. :)