PDA

View Full Version : Friday Night is Curry Night!

grantyg
10-Feb-06, 17:39
Hi all,
After the Aberdeen Curry last night I promised a new thread!
The friday Night Curry Recipe!
This is an old one I have posted on other forums and it was given to me by a chef friend - he makes it better than I do!

Even though I`m dieting my treat is friday night Curry and beer so I thought I would share some recipes, tell us your thoughts post your friday curry recipe and here we go with a cheeky little hot one..............

Good luck for sat mornin http://www.fracturedaxel.co.uk/phpBB2/images/smiles/icon_redface.gif

South Indian Green Chilli Garlic Chicken

1-1/2lbs (700 g.) chicken, cut into cubes
2 tbsp. (30 ml.) oil
2 tbsp. (30 g.) butter
6 flakes (12 g.) garlic, chopped
1/4 in" (5 cm.) ginger, julienned
8 (or more) fresh red or green chillies, shredded
2 large (120 g.) onions
2 tsp. (10 g.) curry masala powder
salt to taste
2 chicken soup cubes
2/3 cup (150 ml.) water
5 green chillies, slit lengthways
2 (120 g.) tomatoes, cut into thin slices
1 tbsp (15 g.) coriander leaves, chopped
juice of 1 lemon

HEAT the oil in a wok.
Fry the chicken until it is sealed, stirring frequently.
Remove from oil and put in a pan.
Heat the butter in a wok and fry the garlic, ginger and chillies for one minute.
Add the onions and fry till well browned.
Add half of the curry masala powder and stir well.
Add the chicken pieces and salt and sauté for 10 minutes.
Add the fried onions, soup cubes and water to the chicken.
Mix well. Cook till done and dry.
Add the green chillies, tomato slices and the remaining curry masala powder
and sauté for three minutes.
Serve garnished with coriander leaves with a squeeze of lemon juice.

- I take no responsibility for bodily damage caused by this recipe-

paris
10-Feb-06, 17:43
Hi Grantyg, sounds really good and as ive NEVER made my own curry i might well have a go at it. jan x

grantyg
10-Feb-06, 17:44
And for the side dish!
Spiced Onions
Chop a few onions up nice and small and neat!
Squirt in some tomato ketchup give it a mix then add some mint jelly (not too much - add to taste )
Then pop in some chilli powder again to taste.
Get some popadoms from the coopie and hey ho spiced onions!
Recipe courtesy of Cafe India Glasgow!
Serve with a nice real ale like a gold top Leffe or push the boat out and have a few tins of wife beater! (stella - apparently) or even battered Hubby (Archers aqua)

And pop a toilet roll in the fridge.....................

See you next friday! - let me know how you all got on!

Venture
10-Feb-06, 17:49
You can also do Spiced Onions with tomato ketchup and lemon or lime juice instead of the mint sauce. Nice and tangy to go with the hot taste of the curry.

DeePee
10-Feb-06, 18:11
Haven't posted on here before but saw this thread and thought I had to share my fail safe curry recipe which works every time and tastes great. It's easy too. Anyway.....

Fry 2 onions finely sliced. When they're brownish throw in 3 cloves and 5 cardomom pods for a minute or so. Then puree the onions, cloves and cardomom with 6 cloves garlic and 2 inch of ginger. Add this all back to the pan and add 1/2 teaspoon of chilli powder, 1/2 tablespoon garam masala, big tub natural yoghurt, chicken cut into cubes and 1/2 tube tomato puree. Coat the chicken in this and add half a pint of warm water. Let it cook and 5mins before serving add a couple of tablespoons of ground almonds and a good bunch of fresh coriander. It tastes great and I'm in the middle of cooking one for tea tonight. If you want it hotter then just add a bit more chilli powder.

Enjoy.

DeePee
10-Feb-06, 18:16
I forgot salt. You must add salt.

squidge
10-Feb-06, 18:32
For the rice

finely chop an onion and slice three pieces of garlic thinly although dont chop it you need to be able to see the slices. Count out six cardoman pods and two cinammon sticks and fry lightly in a little oil.

Follow the instructions on your rice for quantity using vegetable stock instead of water. Add the stock first to the pan just bringing back to the boil with the ingredients in. Then add your rice a little salt and cook according to instructions.

Drain and serve - try to remove the cardoman pods as they taste horrid if you get them in your mouth.

If you want leave out the cinnamon sticks and add chopped fresh coriander at the end

Rheghead
10-Feb-06, 18:42
try to remove the cardoman pods as they taste horrid if you get them in your mouth.

Everyone to their own, I quite like them crushed in a pestle and mortar and sprinkled into curries, of course remove the outer shells before though.

after your curry, try 'cardoman coffee'

grind 4 cardomans and put them either in a cup with some instant coffee or put them into a cafetiere with real coffee for a lovely afterdinner refreshment.

squidge
10-Feb-06, 18:49
ooooooooh i might try that coffee thing rheghead

Everyone to their own, I quite like them crushed in a pestle and mortar and sprinkled into curries, of course remove the outer shells before though.

after your curry, try 'cardoman coffee'

grind 4 cardomans and put them either in a cup with some instant coffee or put them into a cafetiere with real coffee for a lovely afterdinner refreshment.

grantyg
13-Feb-06, 23:49
So how did the friday night curry go????

Any Ghandi`s revenge on saturday???

only 5 days left till the next installment.