PDA

View Full Version : twitter...

percy toboggan
08-Feb-09, 14:44
I've been thrilled with the investment in a few bird feeding products this weekend. From suet blocks with berries in to peanuts... and even some auld swiss roll.

Our back garden has a family of Robins and we now have Blakckbirds nesting in the ivy (sounds grand but it's a three bedded ex - council house...Ivy is no marker of clarss !)

However, listening to the twittering in uz conifers minded me to checkout the latest interweb phenomenon - twitter.

At first the whole concept sounded ludicrous to me and yet another sorry sign of our descent into collective madness. However, I've decided to check it out.

Do you 'twitter'?

MadPict
08-Feb-09, 14:59
No - having watched the growth of this latest life blogging tool from it's very early days I see no desire to share my every waking thought or action with the internets.
Some see it it as a valuable social networking 'tool' but I just see it as a "new media douchebag" (look it up) fad.

Or do you fancy yourself as the new Chief Tweeter, Stephen Fry?...

http://twitter.com/stephenfry

mccaugm
08-Feb-09, 16:33
I have just started "Twittering" and absolutely love it. Its so much easier than the standard social networking sites. I even have minor celebs following what I am doing..not that that is generally, particularly exciting.

Go on get twittered...! I dare you[lol]

MadPict
08-Feb-09, 16:42
I have just started "Twittering" and absolutely love it. Its so much easier than the standard social networking sites. I even have minor celebs following what I am doing..not that that is generally, particularly exciting.

Go on get twittered...! I dare you[lol]

That was 257 characters - Twitter isn't so good as it only allows you 140!!![lol]

mccaugm
08-Feb-09, 16:52
About to be pedantic but isn't it 160? I am little more than a Twitter virgin..only started a few days ago.

joxville
08-Feb-09, 17:25
I joined it a few days ago but have yet to post. Won't be anything exciting, I'm sure you'll have gathered that from the rubbish I post on here. [lol]

percy toboggan
08-Feb-09, 17:32
I joined it a few days ago but have yet to post. Won't be anything exciting, I'm sure you'll have gathered that from the rubbish I post on here. [lol]

I'm sure you have hidden depths jox.

Mines a double.

MadPict
08-Feb-09, 17:44
About to be pedantic but isn't it 160? I am little more than a Twitter virgin..only started a few days ago.

Nope - 140 characters....
http://www.140characters.com/ ;)

joxville
08-Feb-09, 19:45
I've now twittered percy, although a limit to the characters allowed is a downside. Am I a twitterer? Is The Birdie Song our anthem? As a collective are we twits? Most definitely yes. [lol]

joxville
08-Feb-09, 21:16
Brave, Brave person asking that one openly on the org :lol:

Bravery has nothing to do with it. Unlike a lot of people on here, I don't take life or myself too seriously. ;)

percy toboggan
09-Feb-09, 18:16
I've now twittered percy, although a limit to the characters allowed is a downside. Am I a twitterer? Is The Birdie Song our anthem? As a collective are we twits? Most definitely yes. [lol]

Almost certainly jox.
I see one can text on a mobile phone to update ones twitter.
I think my final descent into madness will be confirmed when I pay god money to twitter...it's seems so gratis once the p.c. is fired up.
I have two 'followers' <gulp> and a way to go to catch Stephen Fry.(130,000)

Lots of free publicity for twitter on Simon Mayo's prog today...apparently it's 'taking over his life'...he twitters on the toilet.

Whichever way you look at it 'followers' is better than 'friends' which is what facebook can bring you.Friends sounds a bit disingenuous as I know they are harder to acquire in the real world (or is it just me :() I only have a couple.

'Followers' does sound a bit cultish though
and I've often been called that.:confused It's just a bit o' fun for now.

note to self: Must get some batteries in this hearing aid.

MadPict
11-Feb-09, 02:25
New word - twitterrhea - too many twitters an hour...

changilass
11-Feb-09, 02:29
You only have too many twitters in an hour if your twitter is too long and you have to cut it in half

hotrod4
11-Feb-09, 09:50
I use twitter to let people know what I am up to on myspace. Dont have any followers at the moment but who cares. I like talking to myself anyway!![lol]
http://twitter.com/GHamster