PDA

View Full Version : A Bit Late Darling

brokencross
08-Feb-09, 11:11
I must be too trusting, thick, niave, simple and any other adjectives you can think of for a person who used to think that banks and bankers were upstanding members of the community and the pillars of society.

Now I find that even the Chancellor of the Exchequer doesn't know how banks work!!?? Why has it taken this long to come to the conclusion that it might be a good idea to see what goes on behind the ledgers.

I can remember only a couple of years ago headlines "So and So bank records record profits".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7877161.stm

joxville
08-Feb-09, 12:18
What everyone needs to remember is that banks are independant businesses and need to make a profit, albeit at our expense, and like most businesses they reward staff with bonuses. My bonus last year was 4 figures, unexpectedly high because there was a downturn in the market we serve, should that be investigated?

I find it a bit like pots and kettles for the Chancellor to say the following, "understands people feel angry about excesses of bank bonuses and that directors have a duty to behave responsibly".

Doesn't the Government have a duty to behave responsibly to the British people? How many scandals have there been within Government over the last 25 years? How many Ministers have resigned because of unscrupulous dealings? Mandelson had to resign twice and yet he's back in the Cabinet. Maybe they should get their own House in order before launching yet another 'investigation' at the expense of the taxpayer.