PDA

View Full Version : Movie soundtracks

buddyrich
08-Feb-09, 01:19
Anyone want to volunteer their favourite movie soundtracks? Here's a puckle o soundtracks/scores i would contend are vital listening.

Everything Bernard Hermann did, including the classic Hitchcock scores-Vertigo, North By Northwest and Psycho are fantastic. Cape Fear is another brilliant work as is the haunting jazz score for Taxi Driver.

Anything be Ennio Morricone-he didnt just do the Metallica entrance music y'ken! Once Upon A Time in America is extra special.

Honourable mention goes to Star Wars, Apocalypse Now, Terminator 2, The Taking Of Pelham 123 and The Rivers Edge which had mostly Slayer songs as its soundtrack.

Cazart!

joxville
08-Feb-09, 02:49
I agree with your sentiments regarding Ennio Morricone, one of the most prolific composer's of the 20th century.

A good thread, I'll need to go and think of more composers.

Sarah
08-Feb-09, 16:26
Mamma Mia! (OK sad to some, but its the ultimate cheese fest and I love it :D)

youoldduffer
09-Feb-09, 18:28
Top Gun gotta be a classic, and showing my age Footloose and The lost boys.

unicorn
09-Feb-09, 19:14
dirty dancing. footloose and lost boys for sure :D oh and coyote ugly.

veekay
09-Feb-09, 19:55
clockwork orange

mulac
09-Feb-09, 20:10
O Brother Where Art Thou?

Great film great songs :D

teenybash
09-Feb-09, 20:13
Love Ennio Morricone............especially The Secrets of the Sahara...... and everythingelse he has ever composed.:)

Boss
09-Feb-09, 20:22
dirty dancing. footloose and lost boys for sure :D oh and coyote ugly.

She's like the wind.........oh and My heart will go on (Titanic)

davem
09-Feb-09, 23:21
Diva! classical but amazing music if you cope with subtitles.

bettedaviseyes
10-Feb-09, 01:01
bladerunner

Bobinovich
10-Feb-09, 01:22
LOL BDE was just watching that tonight (for the millionth time!) and revelling in Vangelis' superb music - it's my alltime favourite film!

buddyrich
10-Feb-09, 14:48
Surprised noone mentioned The Blues Brothers.

The Long Good Friday also has some really good music. Great movie too.

erli
10-Feb-09, 14:55
Barber's, Adagio for Strings from Platoon. Sends shivers down my spine.

Kenneth
10-Feb-09, 15:14
Good topic!

I like pretty much any music from Quentin Tarantino films. O Brother Where Art Thou is also excellent. This Is England as well!

Invisible
10-Feb-09, 22:40
Braveheart!

The Pepsi Challenge
11-Feb-09, 01:14
Tron (all hail Wendy Carlos)
Do The Right Thing (Spike Lee's dad composed the orchestral music)
12 Monkeys
Harold & Maude (for the Cat Stevens tunes)
Betty Blue (that duo piano piece is a tear-jerker)

bremkins
13-Feb-09, 14:02
Anything be Ennio Morricone-he didnt just do the Metallica entrance music y'ken! Once Upon A Time in America is extra special.
Cazart!

Buddyrich ... I think you mean 'Once Upon a Time in the West' ... I can't argue with your comment about it being extra special though.

Also on my list is Bugsy Malone (the one with Jodie Foster and Scott Baio as kids), the Italian Job (Michael Caine version), Deliverance (I've many a fond memory of dancing manically to Duelling Banjos as a child), Top Gun, Dirty Dancing and of course no list would be complete without the absolute genius cult classic .... the Rocky Horror Picture Show.... just a sweet tranvestite from transexual Transylvaniiiiiiaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

buddyrich
14-Feb-09, 00:07
[quote=bremkins;502097]Buddyrich ... I think you mean 'Once Upon a Time in the West' ...quote]

No i do actually mean Once Upon A Time in America. It includes the rather hauntingly beautiful Deborah's Theme.

Morricone also did the score for Once Upon A Time In The West, Fistful Of Dynamite, Fistful of Dollars,.....Few Dollars More and of course The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

bremkins
15-Feb-09, 11:09
[quote=bremkins;502097]Buddyrich ... I think you mean 'Once Upon a Time in the West' ...quote]

No i do actually mean Once Upon A Time in America. It includes the rather hauntingly beautiful Deborah's Theme.

Morricone also did the score for Once Upon A Time In The West, Fistful Of Dynamite, Fistful of Dollars,.....Few Dollars More and of course The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Well I stand corrected.

~~Tides~~
15-Feb-09, 13:47
Fear and loathing in Las Vagas, has some fantastic tunes.

The Pepsi Challenge
16-Feb-09, 03:03
The dual piano segment in Betty Blue is a bit of a tear-jerker.

elaine
27-Feb-09, 12:41
Lord of the Rings, Jurassic Park, Gladiator, Pirates of the Carribean and Braveheart.

I LOVE film music! It's so descriptive to listen to.

(anyone seen that John Williams A Capella thing on youtube? Very clever!)

cmack6189
27-Feb-09, 15:59
would definitely have to say pulp fiction and reservoir dogs!

Kenneth
27-Feb-09, 16:11
good shout cmack, love tarantinos music

hotrod4
27-Feb-09, 18:38
Paris,Texas has an amazing soundtrack.
Also any film with Dirk Diggler normally has a rather funky 70's soundtrack!!!![lol] Reminds me of those 118 guys!:lol:

K dragon
13-Mar-09, 12:54
Charlie Clouser Saw movie SCORES

he has such an abstract style,

he has strong percussion and insane metal grinding like effects, mixed with gentle industrial sound, but its his use of syphmonic strings and sad melodies that make me love the sound he creates.

he scored a movie called death sentence, and the soundtrack for that is more leaning on that melody i was talking about, so much pain and sadness in that soundtrack but i love em!!!

The Pepsi Challenge
13-Mar-09, 12:56
Can now add the soundtrack to The Curious Case of Benjamin Button to the list.