PDA

View Full Version : wireless router problem

barmar62
07-Feb-09, 21:23
hi there i have recently bought a brand new wireless router this router has a built in modem my internet service provider is toucan and i have broadband with there package i got a free usb modem one with two wires coming from it one for the usb and the other for the adsl phone line i have been trying to set up my new router with built in modem there is no instalation cd and the manuel is not very helpful the router came with a cat-5 ethernet cable (RJ-45) a telephone patch cable (RJ-11) and the power adapter what i want to do is have a wired connection to my decktop as it dosent have wireless and a wireless connection to my laptop which has a wireless card in it now when the desktop is connected to the router i cant access the internet and my laptop picks up the wireless signal from the router but i cant access the internet from it either i have tried everything i can but i am no computer genius at any strech of the imagination please could you help me btw my desktop is xp and so is my laptop thanks :~(

Bobinovich
07-Feb-09, 21:43
Hi barmar

It sounds like your router is setup correctly except it doesn't know your Toucan broadband settings.

From your desktop machine click the Start button, then Control Panel, and then double click on Network Connections. Now look for a Local Area Connection which should say Connected underneath. Double click on it then click the Support tab at the top. Look for the numbers next to Default Gateway - most likely 192.168.x.y and write them down.

Now open your browser (Internet Explorer or other) and, in the address bar at the top (where it says http://www.whatever...), remove everything and type in the 192.168.x.y number then press the enter key on your keyboard (http://www.terminal-emulation-vt100-vt220-vt420.com/images/_intelli.docs.BUTTON18.JPG).

What should appear is the router configuration page, and somewhere within is the boxes for you to put the username and password which Toucan supplied you with. This is usually followed by having to click an Apply or Save button.

If you can't find where these settings go then post the make & model of your wireless broadband router & we'll see if we can help further.

Bob

barmar62
08-Feb-09, 16:26
thanks for the help but i have tryed everything including what you told me to try bob and there is still no luck this thing is driving me crazy here is the make and name of the router its called a micradigital 802.11g adsl modem with wireless router any more help would very much be appreciated :~(:~(:~(

blueivy
09-Feb-09, 11:44
thanks for the help but i have tryed everything including what you told me to try bob and there is still no luck this thing is driving me crazy here is the make and name of the router its called a micradigital 802.11g adsl modem with wireless router any more help would very much be appreciated :~(:~(:~(

Did you get the configuration page to come up?

barmar62
09-Feb-09, 13:36
yeah i got the configuration page up and i entered all my isp settings then i loged of the page and tried to connect to the internet through the modem in the router but it wouldnt let me i also used the setup wizard at the top of the page but still nothing happened can any one help me? does anyone know the settings that i am supposed to put in, in the configuration page many thanks :(

blueivy
09-Feb-09, 14:00
yeah i got the configuration page up and i entered all my isp settings then i loged of the page and tried to connect to the internet through the modem in the router but it wouldnt let me i also used the setup wizard at the top of the page but still nothing happened can any one help me? does anyone know the settings that i am supposed to put in, in the configuration page many thanks :(

My advice is to always but a branded modem / router (or at least a popular modem / router) as support will be easier. I tend to use Netgear or 3Com routers. They cost a bit more but sometimes you do get what you pay for (sometimes).

If you post a screenshot(s) of the configuration page(s) we can let you know what info goes where. The standard info for UK ADSL modems though is:

Encapsulation: PPPoA
VCI: 0
VPI: 38
NTU: 1500

The only ISP I've come across that is different from this is AOL (where MTU is 1450).

The other settings you will need is your username / password from Toucan for your broadband.

To find out how to take a screenshot see here (http://forum.caithness.org/showpost.php?p=499593&postcount=9).