PDA

View Full Version : Disgusted

Eagleclaw68
07-Feb-09, 20:54
On Friday afternoon in Thurso I was walking down to the town centre from the library I notice that there was a Coop sign bang in front of the war memorial, blocking the memorial from view and this act sticking a Coop advertising sign in front of the war memorial really sicking me just shows the sort of management running the Coop and the times we are living in, these people must have no morals or honour of the war dead who fought for our freedom by defacing the war memorial even for a sort while with a advertising board. I thought war memorial sites are of limits for any sorts of commercial advertising because its like holy ground what can not be defaced.

webmannie
07-Feb-09, 21:53
Get your facts right, it never blocked the memorial from view, it'd need to be a blinking large sign to do that! The memorial wasn't defaced either.

If they had left the memorial where it was originally placed then we wouldn't be having this discussion (so much for your holy ground, didn't seem to matter when they moved it)

butterfly
07-Feb-09, 22:56
Get your facts right, it never blocked the memorial from view, it'd need to be a blinking large sign to do that! The memorial wasn't defaced either.

If they had left the memorial where it was originally placed then we wouldn't be having this discussion (so much for your holy ground, didn't seem to matter when they moved it)

agree,theres far worse things going on in this world than worry about a sign:roll:

TBH
07-Feb-09, 23:04
I think placing an advertisement in front of a war memorial is disrespectful.
It doesn't need to block the memorial, just being there is enough.

EDDIE
07-Feb-09, 23:50
I think placing an advertisement in front of a war memorial is disrespectful.
It doesn't need to block the memorial, just being there is enough.

Totally agree with u

Westsider3
07-Feb-09, 23:59
And there goes another go at the Co-op!! How about a little thought for the Co-op's contribution to our community? They stock local fresh produce and they do a lot for local charities yet they rarely receive publicity for it. I, for the record, do not work in the Co-op but happen to know some of the ladies who do and who also give up a lot of their personal time to fundraise for a variety of local charities!

Maybe it is about time we stopped using the org to moan about things and appreciated how lucky we are!!!

sweetpea
08-Feb-09, 00:15
Maybe it is about time we stopped using the org to moan about things and appreciated how lucky we are!!!

I'm very grateful for everything.;)

TBH
08-Feb-09, 00:19
And there goes another go at the Co-op!! How about a little thought for the Co-op's contribution to our community? They stock local fresh produce and they do a lot for local charities yet they rarely receive publicity for it. I, for the record, do not work in the Co-op but happen to know some of the ladies who do and who also give up a lot of their personal time to fundraise for a variety of local charities!

Maybe it is about time we stopped using the org to moan about things and appreciated how lucky we are!!!Are you for real? What about the contribution of those that died in the great wars. The co-op's contribution pales into insignificance.

webmannie
08-Feb-09, 00:28
And i bet this thread would have them groaning in despair. They fought to make our country a safe place that allowed freedom of speech and the capability to do what we like. I agree there is far more important things to worry about. Time to move on

TBH
08-Feb-09, 00:30
And i bet this thread would have them groaning in dispair. They fought to make our country a safe place that allowed freedom of speech and the capability to do what we like. I agree there is far more important things to worry about. Time to move onYou move on if you like, wrap it up how you like, it is still disrespectful to our fallen.

changilass
08-Feb-09, 00:36
I don't need a monument to remember and respect our fallen, but I do think it would be a tad disrespectful if it was on the monument.

Could someone clarify exactly where it was.

webmannie
08-Feb-09, 00:39
How is it disrespectfull to have a sign on the pavement next to the monument? It wasn't on it or around it. Thousands of people have walked past it, i've seen groups of people standing yapping in front of it. would you go up to them and ask them to move because they are disrespecting it by blocking the view to the monument?

Average
08-Feb-09, 00:45
Boy, what an over-reaction.

hotrod4
08-Feb-09, 06:42
Boy, what an over-reaction.
Dont think its an over reaction. At the end of the day the co-op is a business, whats next? Adverts on Gravestones. A little more thought couldve gone into the placement of an advertisement. It may seem petty to some but its dis-respectful to others and that should've been considered before placing the sign.

hotrod4
08-Feb-09, 06:45
And there goes another go at the Co-op!! How about a little thought for the Co-op's contribution to our community? They stock local fresh produce and they do a lot for local charities yet they rarely receive publicity for it.
There not as "local" as you say, well not in Wick anyway. They used to get all their veg from a local supplier but then stopped.They also used to get their meat local from a Wick Butcher and had butchers on hand, now it all comes from the south. They seem to have fallen in with the rest of the supermarkets but play on the "local" thing.
I do like the co-op and shop there alot but they use the word "local" to try and draw people in when they are just as local as the rest of the supermarkets.

brokencross
08-Feb-09, 09:45
agree,theres far worse things going on in this world than worry about a sign:roll:
Maybe so, but have you ever heard of the proverbial "thin end of the wedge" or "nipping things in the bud"? By highlighting this slight indiscretion, it may well stop further inapproriate advertising.

Westsider3
08-Feb-09, 10:52
Are you for real? What about the contribution of those that died in the great wars. The co-op's contribution pales into insignificance.

Yes I am 'for real'! I don't need to see a monument to think of how many people died saving our country and also of how many service men/women are serving our country at present. Of course then, if you need to see the Memorial to remind you then I think you should be questioning if you are for real.

webmannie
08-Feb-09, 11:03
I wonder how many 'monument worshippers' actually sent a christmas care package to our servicemen fighting against terrorism abroad?

brokencross
08-Feb-09, 11:15
I wonder how many 'monument worshippers' actually sent a christmas care package to our servicemen fighting against terrorism abroad?

Can't really see what that has to do with an advertising board being placed near a war memorial.

A9RUNNER
08-Feb-09, 12:07
I think it is a disrespect to put the advert where it has been mentioned. I didnt see it myself but I am quite sure had I walked past or driven past I would of made some sort of comment to myself about it. I am not sure it would of been outrage, More likey to be disappointment that someone was thoughtless and did such a thing. It is not as if it was a deliberate attempt to disrespect the monument. It is a good thing to remember those who have fallen in the name of our country and those that are on the battlefronts wherever they may be more often than on Remeberance day.

butterfly
08-Feb-09, 15:50
has anyone thought about complaining to thurso co-op,maybe that would "nip things in the bud".

maidencaithness
08-Feb-09, 17:12
Maybe the Thurso store wasn't actually responsible for the advertising of the relaunched store if you have a problem with it maybe you should get in touch with their head office instead of constantly belittling them on a local forum. As has been said before they do try and put something back into the local community and Thurso Co-op does stock local produce unless you don't class John o' Groats as local!!!

percy toboggan
08-Feb-09, 17:24
For goodness sake let's have a photograph so we can see if the memorial is obscured by a sign advertising cheap fish fingers or whatever!

If , as seems likely the memorial is being obscured or hidden from view in anyway then perhaps direct action might be required. I'm sure every breathing, living soul in Thurso knows all about the Co-op and rightly values it highly.

If only I could assume the same awareness of 'The Fallen'.

butterfly
08-Feb-09, 19:46
as with all stores its head office that dictates what goes on so maybe you EAGLECLAW68 should pick up the phone and complain to them instead of presuming the thurso co-op staff "have no morals or honour of the war dead" or better still GET A LIFE.

TBH
09-Feb-09, 23:44
Yes I am 'for real'! I don't need to see a monument to think of how many people died saving our country and also of how many service men/women are serving our country at present. Of course then, if you need to see the Memorial to remind you then I think you should be questioning if you are for real.I meant, are you for real comparing the Co-Op's contribution to the community to the sacrifices made by those that fought and died in the great wars?
I don't need a monument to remember the fallen as there are not many, if any, Caithness families that didn't lose a family member or more to the 1st or 2nd world wars and many more besides. Do you think we shouldn't have war memorials as you seem to be of the idea that they are pointless?

as with all stores its head office that dictates what goes on so maybe you EAGLECLAW68 should pick up the phone and complain to them instead of presuming the thurso co-op staff "have no morals or honour of the war dead" or better still GET A LIFE.I wouldn't have thought that the Thurso co-op's head office sent them a memo telling them to stick an advert in front of a war memorial neither would I think that the staff had no morals or sense of honour toward the dead but the placing of the advertisement was misguided at best.

laguna2
10-Feb-09, 09:33
If I remember correctly there were often banners attached to the railings at the side of the memorial ... don't think anyone has ever had a go about this?

Westsider3
10-Feb-09, 10:48
[quote=TBH;499967]I meant, are you for real comparing the Co-Op's contribution to the community to the sacrifices made by those that fought and died in the great wars?
I don't need a monument to remember the fallen as there are not many, if any, Caithness families that didn't lose a family member or more to the 1st or 2nd world wars and many more besides. Do you think we shouldn't have war memorials as you seem to be of the idea that they are pointless?

I don't know whereabouts in my reply to you that I suggested that I think war memorials are pointless. Neither did I compare the Co-op's contributions to society on the same level as sacrifices made by those that fought and died in the great wars. However, if you are so small minded to think along these lines then I shall bow out of this post gracefully and leave you to your griping!

Baconbuttie
10-Feb-09, 22:30
I remember Dowpy Dan sleeping on the bench in front of it. That must not have been cosidered disrespectful as he has a bench in his honour

hotrod4
11-Feb-09, 09:56
Maybe the Thurso store wasn't actually responsible for the advertising of the relaunched store if you have a problem with it maybe you should get in touch with their head office instead of constantly belittling them on a local forum. As has been said before they do try and put something back into the local community and Thurso Co-op does stock local produce unless you don't class John o' Groats as local!!!
If you class tatties and neep as local produce then you are right, but where does the rest of it come from? Including their "butcher" meat?

misty woman
11-Feb-09, 21:23

Maybe it is about time we stopped using the org to moan about things and appreciated how lucky we are!!!thankyou westsider3.

Dog-eared
11-Feb-09, 21:41
Banners in front of a war memorial is wrong, although I didn't see it.
Best to complain to the perpetrators ( Co op ) rather than Orgers.

Complain to the Co - Op then post the results for gods sake. The org doesnt manage the Co- op !!

Be pro - active !! :):):)

misty woman
11-Feb-09, 21:48
Banners in front of a war memorial is wrong, although I didn't see it.

Complain to the Co - Op then post the results for gods sake. The org doesnt manage the Co- op !!

Be pro - active !! :):):)how very true!

butterfly
11-Feb-09, 22:24

Be pro - active !! :):):)

well said dog eared,eagleclaw68 take note!

hotrod4
12-Feb-09, 07:57
well said dog eared,eagleclaw68 take note!
But isnt the whole point of a forum is to discuss relevant issues in a civilised manner? Most of the threads on here have a complaint about something or another so why not the co-op.People are entitled to "attack" and "defend" their side or is the Co-op special? After all tesco gets it in the neck here often enough why not the co-op?:eek: