PDA

View Full Version : Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Workgroup

A_Usher
10-Feb-06, 10:06
Hi everyone,
I am putting together a BJJ workgroup, which will be free of fees, and insurance will be covered by my organisation. The only cost is a small contribution to the hall, so the more we have the less we pay.

We are doing this as we would really like to let people experience Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Training will be held in Dunbeath on Sundays, and like all my training will be conducted in a laid back environment. No bowing, no rituals, possibly just some bad musical tastes.

BJJ is both fun and effective as a system, but can assist with general fitness and weight loss.

If you are interested in joining the group, please let me know fairly soon. If anyone is ultra keen to train, then my Inverness instructor and i will be training (our usual Sunday personal training) this weekend and will happily take some time out to train with you. These classes are out with our normal programs.

More details can be found over at www.emaf.co.uk/bjjworkgroup.asp

Andrew Usher

porshiepoo
10-Feb-06, 18:42
I pm'd you about this. Did you get it??????

A_Usher
10-Feb-06, 21:08
Hi,
Yes i got your message, and have replied by email.

Come on, anyone else interested in training in BJJ!! The only way this workgroup will work is if people come and participate. Its suitable for all fitness levels, and abilities, and it doesnt matter if you have never done any martial arts before, or if you have loads of martial arts experience. Training is very laid back and we have little formalities. You can even choose some music to be played whilst we all train......

Andrew.

A_Usher
12-Feb-06, 13:16
porshiepoo did you get my email reply?

Andrew.

porshiepoo
12-Feb-06, 19:49
Yes got your reply, thanks.
Let me know when you get enough to get us going!

Come on you guys, there must be more of you up for this.

A_Usher
13-Feb-06, 16:40
We need more bodies for the workgroup, if its a location issue, we can probably look at a place in wick. A lot of people have been asking about our striking program (boxing and muay thai). What i will do if people are interested is put on several free workshop striking classes also.... Again, numbers are required.

Andrew

porshiepoo
13-Feb-06, 19:24
Come on you lot, this could be a good thing, especially for those of us that are hoping to lose weight. We could shed a few pounds and learn how to defend ourselves in the process. Plus have a stonking good laugh! - Only kidding there.:grin:

A_Usher
13-Feb-06, 21:56
Yup, great for fitness and self defence, and trust me their will be loads of laughter!!! mostly people laughing at the bad music i listen too.....

jason king
14-Feb-06, 11:34
Hi there,im in the process of moving into the caithness area in the next couple of weeks and found this board by reccomendation,pretty lively and some good info,which brings me to the point of my post,i do study a bit of muay thai and kick boxing,do you have regular classes in these along side the bjj class,havnt tried that so would be interested.regards jason.

rich62_uk
15-Feb-06, 08:16
Is there a minimum age range ? .......Trish.

A_Usher
15-Feb-06, 21:22
Hi Jason,
Sorry for the late reply to the posts.
The workgroup bjj class is a free class external to our normal classes. We do a variety of other things. Dependent on your level of muay thai you could go into our mma class, but this has full out contact and sparring, and is really only suitable to people with a fair bit of sparring experience. The striking 101 covers thai, savate, kicboxing and boxing and is suitable to all.

Trish, the bjj class is suitable for all, but we need a reasonable number of kids or adults to make each section work.

Andrew

porshiepoo
16-Feb-06, 00:36
In ref to the experienced classes Usher, I am well advanced in TaeBo now does that count????? :grin: Just Kidding!

My kids are obviously well up on the sparring as they took both karate and tae kwon do classes for a few years before we moved here. Hubby got a bit carried away on the classes though and they ended up going 4 nights a week... bit too much!
As such it's kinda put them off any more self defence but they're willing to give this one a go as it seems less formal (They had to learn the korean language in TaeKwonDo!:confused )

Just one quick question. My hubby seems to be taking great delight in making me think that it involves some kind of raindancing due to it being Brazillian! lol. Now I know this is stupid but it's getting a bit worrying the more convincing he gets.
So, it doesn't involve dance of any kind does it!!!!! lol.

abalone
16-Feb-06, 03:29
In ref to the experienced classes Usher, I am well advanced in TaeBo now does that count????? :grin: Just Kidding!

My kids are obviously well up on the sparring as they took both karate and tae kwon do classes for a few years before we moved here. Hubby got a bit carried away on the classes though and they ended up going 4 nights a week... bit too much!
As such it's kinda put them off any more self defence but they're willing to give this one a go as it seems less formal (They had to learn the korean language in TaeKwonDo!:confused )

Just one quick question. My hubby seems to be taking great delight in making me think that it involves some kind of raindancing due to it being Brazillian! lol. Now I know this is stupid but it's getting a bit worrying the more convincing he gets.
So, it doesn't involve dance of any kind does it!!!!! lol.

surely raindancing is preferable to kick boxing?

porshiepoo
16-Feb-06, 09:40
Hmmmmmmm! Dancing frantically round and round making funny faces and noises while trying to stay upright despite the dizziness (yes I experienced this type of dance in Brazil recently - hence my fear.lol) or...... kicking people!

Bloomin eck that's a hard one! lol.

:grin: :grin:

connieb19
16-Feb-06, 09:44
I'd be interested if it wasn't so far to travel.:(

porshiepoo
16-Feb-06, 09:45
Where do you live connieb19??????

connieb19
16-Feb-06, 09:50
Where do you live connieb19??????Wick......

A_Usher
16-Feb-06, 09:50
No dancing, no learning languages, no bowing, no saluting anyone.....

In regard to the sparring, sparring is a progressive thing, but the MMA class isnt suitable for children at this point in time, the type of sparring is full contact, and involves light Vale Tudo gloves, and the sparring is more geared for those wishing competitive training such as you see on the television. We have a few people looking to train in this field. I dont recommend this for everyone.

The other classes are more lighter, more progressive, but no dancing........

Andrew.

porshiepoo
16-Feb-06, 09:54
The other classes are more lighter, more progressive, but no dancing........

Andrew.
[/QUOTE]

Phew!!!!!!!!!!:o :o

A_Usher
16-Feb-06, 09:59
I am shuddering at the thought of dancing, lol, i can kick, do flippy jumping kicks, spinning kick, all useless an impractical, but i cant dance for the life of me.........

porshiepoo
16-Feb-06, 10:03
Don't panic usher, those flippy kick things are soooooooo much more appealing!! :grin:

How we doing for bums on seats??????????

A_Usher
16-Feb-06, 14:13
Bums on seats aint too good. I appreciate people find Dunbeath too far, but is a nice lazy drive to a sunday class. Alternatively if anyone has wants to source a place somewhere else with mats, i would be prepared to consider it.

Andrew

jason king
16-Feb-06, 18:23
Hi andrew would be interested in your striking classes as my thai is a bit basic so would be good to sharpen up things,interested too in the bjj sessions surprised that not too many people interested,"free classes" where im from they'de have your hand off if it was free :D
regards jason

A_Usher
18-Feb-06, 13:42
Hi Jason,
Our glasgow free classes have a six month waiting list, its probably just a case of location and population size. I am really hoping we can get the bjj class up and running. I have access to several world class bjj instructors, and if a group get up and running i will arrange seminars with them here in the highlands, rather than Glasgow where i usually run them.

Andrew

jason king
19-Feb-06, 22:31
Hi all,andrew just how many people do you think you would need to make the free class viable,i understand people not wanting to travel/locatuion may put people off the idea but surely a free fitness class must be of interesd to someone,im toying with the idea of travelling up so theres one at least for you,cmon people give it a go im chomping at the bit here.
regards jason.

A_Usher
22-Feb-06, 13:07
Jason,
4 or 5 is a good start. Not this weekend as i am teaching in Edinburgh.

A_Usher
03-Mar-06, 15:30
Due to the weather there will be no BJJ workgroup session this Sunday. On another note i am going to add some streaming video footage of what BJJ is etc on out site and message board.

wickerman
19-Mar-06, 18:00
Hi guys
I have found this thread after searching for martial arts on the forum, I have trained various martial arts but my main love is Muay Thai, I regularly train in Phuket for 1-2 months every year, when I was 18 I had trained solidly for 2 years in various parts of Thailand but found the best gym's to be in Phuket. I am looking for a training partner or partners, if your are interested then you should be able to do 10 minutes of stretching and light weight training . A fast paced 30 minute run (aprox 10 km distance)
15 Minutes of shadow boxing , again a fast pace, lets get a sweat up,30 minutes strength-building using free weights and any equipment at hand,30 minutes of Bag work/ pad work and more Skipping and 15 minutes of Stretching to warm down the body. The above is a minimum as there are days that we will go hard, if you feel that you maybe upto it please contact me, there are also days that we will fight full contact.
Cheers Guys

crayola
20-Mar-06, 00:53
You run 10K in 30 mins, and then you do some serious exercise. On other days you go hard?

Either you're superman or you need a new stopwatch. :)

connieb19
20-Mar-06, 00:56
You run 10K in 30 mins, and then you do some serious exercise. On other days you go hard?

Either you're superman or you need a new stopwatch. :)Maybe he's like me....a run means a run in the car..lol[lol]

crayola
20-Mar-06, 00:59
I found him first connieb19, he's mine! ;)

connieb19
20-Mar-06, 01:00
I found him first connieb19, he's mine! ;)LOL...you deserve him..you must have eyes like a hawk to have found this one...lol[lol]

connieb19
20-Mar-06, 01:04

Either you're superman or you need a new stopwatch. :)I think this is the funniest post I have ever read...Honestly, i'm in tears of laughter!!![lol] [lol]

crayola
20-Mar-06, 01:21
Lol Connieb19, I'm pleased I made you laugh, but 30 mins for 10K on the roads is inside women's world record pace. Paula Radcliffe would be looking at my heels at the finish if I ran 10K in 30 mins.

connieb19
20-Mar-06, 01:23
It's what he does on other days I find funny too...lol:evil [lol]

A_Usher
20-Mar-06, 14:03
Sorry, for not posting sooner, i have been away training. Wickerman, having trained Muay Thai for a lot of years,you are talking absolute garbage, and you are more than welcome to come down and train with us, just remember to bring your gloves...... Your so called training methods are absolute nonsense....

My reason for posting is that i am off to America for annual training and therefore there will be no classes until around the 2nd of April. I am off to portland to train with the Straight Blast Gym, and to brush up on BJJ and my overall traininig.

Andrew

porshiepoo
20-Mar-06, 16:49
Hi guys
I have found this thread after searching for martial arts on the forum, I have trained various martial arts but my main love is Muay Thai, I regularly train in Phuket for 1-2 months every year, when I was 18 I had trained solidly for 2 years in various parts of Thailand but found the best gym's to be in Phuket. I am looking for a training partner or partners, if your are interested then you should be able to do 10 minutes of stretching and light weight training . A fast paced 30 minute run (aprox 10 km distance)
15 Minutes of shadow boxing , again a fast pace, lets get a sweat up,30 minutes strength-building using free weights and any equipment at hand,30 minutes of Bag work/ pad work and more Skipping and 15 minutes of Stretching to warm down the body. The above is a minimum as there are days that we will go hard, if you feel that you maybe upto it please contact me, there are also days that we will fight full contact.
Cheers Guys

My god man is that it????? I should think the above is a minimum, it's hardly even a warm up.
Having trained daily for the last 15 years in the British gym known as 'motherhood', that to me is a breeze in the park :confused not to mention the 'camps' known as unthankful, slave labour. [evil]
Hmmm! Maybe I'll see you around jogging your 10k in 30minutes, you'll be eating my dust as I run around like a blue arsed fly doing 10k in 10 minutes.
Hahahahahaha.

connieb19
27-Mar-06, 22:12
Count me in. When do we get stared?:evil

A_Usher
17-May-06, 16:17
Quick update.
1 - 2 pm on sunday is now a stand up class (muay thai, savate, pad work etc)
2 - 3 pm is now the BJJ workshop

I am also putting together a thursday evening kickboxercise class for anyone interested, lots of good cardio, pad hitting etc. If anyone is interested let me know. Saturday class in Caithness is now cancelled as i am teaching in Inverness now on Saturdays.

porshiepoo
17-May-06, 16:48
Hang on a darn pickin minute.
Do you mean to tell me that this class is already up and running and i've missed it??????? :(

A_Usher
17-May-06, 17:02
Only a few people have been coming to Dunbeath for the sunday class, mostly my inverness students coming up for more training.

connieb19
17-May-06, 17:26
Hang on a darn pickin minute.
Do you mean to tell me that this class is already up and running and i've missed it??????? :(Me too!!!!!:eek:

Moira
17-May-06, 19:37
Me too!!!!!:eek:

Well - I'm Glabberfasted! Crayola, Connie & Porshie - You'll obviously have to get into serious training here, if there's any chance of catching Wickerman or A Usher. Unless ..... Crayola can "bewitch" them into standing still for an hour or two to let us all catch up?? Keep us posted girls [lol]

Ricco
17-May-06, 19:43
Is this the same, or similar, to capoeira? I saw some of that over in Bath last summer - looked fantastic. Very fluid - an art form really. Turns out my half brother (who was with me at the time) has studied this and he joined in -0 brave soul!

crayola
18-May-06, 01:05
Well - I'm Glabberfasted! Crayola, Connie & Porshie - You'll obviously have to get into serious training here, if there's any chance of catching Wickerman or A Usher. Unless ..... Crayola can "bewitch" them into standing still for an hour or two to let us all catch up?? Keep us posted girls [lol]I saw him first remember. He's mine and mine alone.

A_Usher
18-May-06, 07:57
Sorry to dissapoint Crayola, but Wickerman will never be at a class of mine, nor will his crazy training methods be present. Our aim is fun in a laid back envoironment with progressive functional training.

A_Usher
19-May-06, 15:28
So should i expect to see some of you ladies this sunday?

A_Usher
21-May-06, 11:30
For those coming down to Dunbeath Hall today, please bring some water or rehydration fluids, as its warm down here and with the excercise youll need water for sure.

angela5
21-May-06, 22:40
So should i expect to see some of you ladies this sunday?

And did A_Usher see any of you ladies today?

A_Usher
22-May-06, 07:59
nope, A_Usher did not see any of those ladies at training on sunday.

A_Usher
27-May-06, 18:38
Can those intending coming down to train please not that there WILL NOT be any training this Sunday. I forgot it was a bank holiday.

Training as normal next week.

clash67
29-May-06, 22:46
Hi everyone,
I am putting together a BJJ workgroup, which will be free of fees, and insurance will be covered by my organisation. The only cost is a small contribution to the hall, so the more we have the less we pay.

We are doing this as we would really like to let people experience Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Training will be held in Dunbeath on Sundays, and like all my training will be conducted in a laid back environment. No bowing, no rituals, possibly just some bad musical tastes.

BJJ is both fun and effective as a system, but can assist with general fitness and weight loss.

If you are interested in joining the group, please let me know fairly soon. If anyone is ultra keen to train, then my Inverness instructor and i will be training (our usual Sunday personal training) this weekend and will happily take some time out to train with you. These classes are out with our normal programs.

More details can be found over at www.emaf.co.uk/bjjworkgroup.asp (http://www.emaf.co.uk/bjjworkgroup.asp)

Andrew Usher

Good man, giving up your free time, best of luck, I hope you get a good response, I'm sure you will.:Razz

A_Usher
04-Jun-06, 15:52
Thanks to those who came down and trained today, good effort.

Please note, there will be no class next weekend as we are off to Glasgow to attend the Scottish Submission League. Anthony Thompson, our Glasgow instructor and member of our fight team Team Evolved will be in action next week.

Andrew

Chillie
04-Jun-06, 15:53
Well connie, did you go to this then?[disgust]

A_Usher
04-Jun-06, 16:04
No she didnt, no one who has commented on this thread has attended yet.

Chillie
04-Jun-06, 16:06
No she didnt, no one who has commented on this thread has attended yet.

That's a shame they sounded so interested.

A_Usher
04-Jun-06, 16:10
They are more than welcome anytime (except next week).
I am looking at possibly setting up MMA classes in Wick, a 12 week intro program, a muay thai class and a brazilian Jiu jitsu class.

If anyone is interested can they pm me so i can guage interest.

A_Usher
26-Jun-06, 18:58
Just to let you know, Sunday classes will resume in a few weeks time. The last few weeks saw us prepare a few of our fighters for some tournaments. Our own Anthony Thompson did great at the Scottish Submission League, and currently stands third in the league. Some great fights and a wonderful event, and if anyone is interested in learning to train to compete in any Scottish MMA fights or submission events let us know, as we are keen to develop our fighter side of our club.

Im hoping in the next few weeks to secure a venue in Wick, so if anyone is interested in training quality MMA let me know.

Andrew.

porshiepoo
27-Jun-06, 11:07
Feel I have to defend myself a bit here.
I had honorable intentions when I made my remarks on AUshers group - honestly. It's just that as time went by I didn't see any new updates on here and I kinda guessed it had fallen by the way. Then I saw that it had in fact started and I hadn't realised.
My excuse since then? Don't have one. [disgust] What can I say, I really like the idea of joining in this group but I ain't going on my own cos I'm just not that brave and although I did Karate and Judo when I was alot lot younger I ain't quite so....erm....agile? Fit?? Up for making myself look a prize pratt??

Seriously though, if I could get one of my daughters to tag along I'd be up for it, or even a friend that would make more of a pratt of themselves than I would! lol.

I understand this group is supposed to be friendly and laid back though so if theres anyone else who wants to go but doesn't want to be the only newcomer / uncoordinated / unfit person there, just let me know.

A_Usher
29-Jun-06, 09:46
I know some of you want to come, but maybe feel a little unsure. Well i am intending putting on a basic intro class this sunday, a real easy paced class, aimed to show the basics, answer questions etc. AND i will put it on FREE.

Will be great fun, laid bad, lots of laughs, and ill even play music requests (within reason!!!) whilst we train.

So, who wants to come, please let me know so i can have an idea of numbers etc. This will be a great opertunity to get fit and have some fun, and train with the only MMA club in Caithness, and the only authorised Straight Blast Gym training group in the North of Scotland. For those who dont know the Straight Blast Gym, it has a high level of ability, coaching methods and standards, and has produced people such as Rory Singer of the Ultimate Fighter, Forrest Griffen etc.

Hope to see some of you on Sunday.

Andrew

A_Usher
30-Jun-06, 09:47
ooops, should have said 12 - 2 pm this Sunday at Dunbeath Hall, sorry.