PDA

View Full Version : Orkney snow

hopper.65
07-Feb-09, 11:55
When out walking my dog i notice when looking over Scrabster bay that Orkney is thick with snow while we in Thurso have none.
This is often the case and considering that there are only 15 miles between us i find this kind of strange, does anyone know why this is?

wickscorrie
07-Feb-09, 12:00
always wondered about the old way lines - must google search and see if this would have any effect!

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

Tugmistress
07-Feb-09, 12:00
I don't know but a semi educated guess would be a combination of the fact that the cliffs we see from here are a lot higher than us and also with us being low get a lot of refferred salt from the sea and the warmer sea temp therefore we have a 'natural immunity' ?
only my thoughts, any one any other ideas?

ShelleyCowie
07-Feb-09, 12:04
I don't know but a semi educated guess would be a combination of the fact that the cliffs we see from here are a lot higher than us and also with us being low get a lot of refferred salt from the sea and the warmer sea temp therefore we have a 'natural immunity' ?
only my thoughts, any one any other ideas?

We are just jinxed!! Everywhere else has lovely deep white fluffy snow! Where is our fluffyness???

Im definetely considering moving!! Just for snow! [lol]

young_fishin_neep
07-Feb-09, 12:07
traveling home on the train yesterday i seen snow everywere, i was like there must be some sort of snow in thurso! but i was wrong, forsinard was about 12 inches deep in snow, it was greatm :) even georgmas junction had 2 inch of snow, i cant beleive there is snow everywere but here

xxx