PDA

View Full Version : school closures

emszxr
06-Feb-09, 23:42
my oldest child is in nursery and the school was closed today. i managed to get there though before i found out it was closed.
as i am new to this , taking my child to nursery, what are the reasons for closing the school just cause there is a wee bit snow. or is that the reason, a wee bit of snow and the schools close.

rfr10
07-Feb-09, 00:27
If the HQ in Inverness receive any high risk severe weather warnings for areas, the will automatically close any schools/ nurseries in this area. As there wasn't a huge amount of snow today, the majority of schools in Caithness were open. For the likes of a nursery, since very young children are at a higher risk of problems in cold weather, this is probably why a nursery was closed. I've no idea what area you are from but the main road through Wick today wasn't exactly that clear and looking at the Traffic Scotland Cameras, the roads weren't very clear either. They are getting softer and softer and more and more schools will close but I suppose they are covering themselves as well as the children. If they believe that there is a risk of danger travelling to school/ nursery, they will close even if they have only been given a warning so that they can prevent pupils being stranded in town if they live in the country.

Venture
07-Feb-09, 00:35
my oldest child is in nursery and the school was closed today. i managed to get there though before i found out it was closed.
as i am new to this , taking my child to nursery, what are the reasons for closing the school just cause there is a wee bit snow. or is that the reason, a wee bit of snow and the schools close.

Schools/Nurseries in Highland Region have a severe weather information helpline that you can call if there is any snow on the go and you are not sure about the situation. Each school has its own code number to use when you call and it will give you information on whether your particular school/nursery is closed or not. Alternatively if you listen to MFR between 7 am and 9am they give a list of schools that are closed in Highland Region. Your nursery should have supplied you with the number.

I know that sometimes there may only seem to be a wee bit of snow, but if the school have been given a forecast which shows that the weather will change for the worse during the day, rather than have children stranded at school, they will just close for the whole day.

Maybe your school was closed because of a heating problem or some other reason and not the weather.

dirdyweeker
07-Feb-09, 01:46
Another reason for some schools not opening in adverse weather conditions is due to lack of teachers. Some of them travel a great distance to work and like the rest of us might not manage some times.