PDA

View Full Version : Steroids

highlander
06-Feb-09, 23:26
Can anyone tell me how they cope with side affects of medications, have been put back on antibotics and steroids, but its this constance hunger, a false hunger. Ate my dinner, half hour later felt like i had never even eaten anything, poor cat was guarding his dinner with one paw over his food and one eye on me. lol Now they are starting to kick in, gawd its the energy you get, cant sit still for too long, wake up at 4am HUNGRY! so here i was sitting eating my honey nut cornflakes staring out of at a black hole of a window.

dirdyweeker
06-Feb-09, 23:29
Poor you. Still, look ahead....hopefully they will improve the condition you were given them for.

Liz
06-Feb-09, 23:34
I am so sorry that you are poorly again Highlander.

I have heard a few folk say they get really hungry when taking steroids but I have never experienced this or the excess energy.Is it Prednisalone you are taking?

I have to say that I have been on some medications where the side effects were so bad they were worse than the illness they were prescribed for.

Hope you feel better soon.

highlander
06-Feb-09, 23:43
Thank you both, yes liz its prednisalone i am on, everytime i have had to take them i always get this terrible hungry with them, luckly its only a weeks course, was once on them for 6 months and nearly going to go and see if i could buy handcuffs to keep me away from the cooker and biscuit tins lol

Liz
06-Feb-09, 23:45
Crikey Highlander at this rate the poor cat won't just be worried that your going to eat his food but that you might eat him!!!

It must be awful but a good excuse to have a real pig out.

Venture
06-Feb-09, 23:59
I sympathise with you Highlander. I have a son who sometimes needs to use the same steroids on top of his inhalers and like you then could eat for Scotland. My food bill nearly doubles when he is on them. Luckily its only for a week at a time. It might have its bad side but the drug does work well. Try eating lots of fruit. Hope you are on the mend soon.

Sunshine
07-Feb-09, 10:20
:~(when I am on steroids my jaws get sore from constantly eating and I go up two sizes in clothes Highlander you have my sympathy-also do not know the meaning of the word sleep

ShelleyCowie
07-Feb-09, 10:45
I am on Prednisalone aswell! I cant honestly tell you if it makes me extra hungry because i get hungry all the time anyways! haha!

I am also on amoxicillin, levothyroxine and iron. The levothyroxine and iron for life! And usually have Prednisalone and amoxicillin 2 times a month! :roll: Also on 3 other types of tablets which i wont say, and an inhaler at least 6 times a day and maybe 1-2 times a night.

Doctors hate seeing me come! :D

binbob
07-Feb-09, 11:06
I am on Prednisalone aswell! I cant honestly tell you if it makes me extra hungry because i get hungry all the time anyways! haha!

I am also on amoxicillin, levothyroxine and iron. The levothyroxine and iron for life! And usually have Prednisalone and amoxicillin 2 times a month! :roll: Also on 3 other types of tablets which i wont say, and an inhaler at least 6 times a day and maybe 1-2 times a night.

Doctors hate seeing me come! :D

shelley..that is terrible ..u are so young.
i also have been on steroids for 18 years...weekly courses initially,but asthma just got worse and worse.
i now have to take steroids[opred.]daily,just to live.they have knocked out my adrenal glands,so no cortisol is produced naturally.
i know about hunger and insomnia...terrible.
i now have type diabetes and osteoporosis[fractured 2 vertebrae ,5 years ago,just getting out of a chair.

in have other issues too..weight problems..and need crutches to get around.
i really hope u are able to get off them.
stay well.
:Razz

ShelleyCowie
07-Feb-09, 11:54
I know i am sick of tablets! :( Constantly reminding myself to take them! But if i forget im soon reminded because i feel awful after a while!

highlander
07-Feb-09, 11:59
Shelly get one of those plastic boxes in the chemist with the days of the week on them, it was a life saver for me as at one time i was on 15 tablets a day, mannnnnnn it was a chore setting them out for different times of the day and night, now its just a case of filling up the box once a week.

ShelleyCowie
07-Feb-09, 12:00
Shelly get one of those plastic boxes in the chemist with the days of the week on them, it was a life saver for me as at one time i was on 15 tablets a day, mannnnnnn it was a chore setting them out for different times of the day and night, now its just a case of filling up the box once a week.

I was thinking about getting one of those! Im on about 21 tablets a day just now and its dreadful trying to remember what to take and when! So think i will be getting myself one of those! :D

golach
07-Feb-09, 12:08
Highlander, sorry to hear you have had to go back on the Steroids, I remember us discussing the pro and cons of them a few years ago, when I was diagnosed with Asthma after I stopped smoking.
I am so glad to say I have it under control these days, one tablet a day and my Seratide 250 Accuhaler twice a day, I have not had an attack for a few years now, I know the symtoms of a pending attack and now act accordingly. I have to say my GP only prescribed me Prednisolone steriods as a last measure and then only for a 5 day course, I still carry my Sabutamol inhaler as a back up, but rarely have to use it.
Hope you get well soon Highlander

Bad Manners
07-Feb-09, 14:41
I can feel sorry you have to go on steriods highlander i had to do the same for kindey probs was on them for 9 months hated it was wanting to eat the leg off the table. and sleep, well lucky if got an hour 2 at best
fortunatley my condition is in remission at moment but would hate to go back on them hope you get better soon

ShelleyCowie
07-Feb-09, 20:35
I think after reading this today i understand where you are coming from about the hunger thing! I just ate a decent sized portion of macaroni. And yet i feel like i want to eat. Tried to eat some Scottish slimmers cookies...there is 4 in the bag but cant eat more than 1! Im full but i feel hungry!

Maybe its more thirst i am feeling! :confused Have drunk alot o coffee today though!

sassylass
07-Feb-09, 21:05
Sorry to hear you're back on the meds and your poor cat is having to guard his bowl. Have you tried munching on raw veg when you get peckish? My favs are carrots, celery, and snap peas, kept at the ready washed and cut in the fridge. The crunch is quite satisfying and not many calories. Watch out for the extra fibre though :eek:

Thumper
07-Feb-09, 21:33
I am no expert but when I was on them I found that drinking glasses of soda water seemed to "fool" my tum into thinking it had plenty in it for a while x

highlander
07-Feb-09, 23:10
Thank you all for your kind messages, pity the steroids did not work the other way and make the spare tyre fall off you, now i know how bears feel when they store up the fat for the winter and hybernate. At least its only a weeks course this time and they are kicking in and doing the job.