View Full Version : riddle

_Ju_
10-Feb-06, 01:06
What is greater than God,
More evil than the devil,
The poor have it,
The rich need it,
And if you eat it, you'll die?

Think on this. I'll onlypost the answer tommorow night if no one gets it.

jjc
10-Feb-06, 01:09
I give up. I can think of nothing that fits for all of these...

The Enigma
10-Feb-06, 01:18
Hmmmm, nothing comes to my mind...

connieb19
10-Feb-06, 01:24
I won't sleep tonight now..lol:confused:

grantyg
10-Feb-06, 01:32
Ha is it " Nothing?"
and thats after a full day at work!

Damn enigma by name enigma by nature - memo to self must read the replies and stop getting exited before replying

girnigoe
10-Feb-06, 01:44
Ha is it " Nothing?"
and thats after a full day at work!

Damn enigma by name enigma by nature - memo to self must read the replies and stop getting exited before replying

Thats the answer!!! Im sure it is!! - NOTHING!!

connieb19
10-Feb-06, 01:52
That sounds right..i can go to bed now....:lol:

Chillie
10-Feb-06, 02:03
Where did you pull that one from Ju thats as old as all the ogers on here[lol] [lol]

_Ju_
10-Feb-06, 11:21
Well, the cats out of the bag! The answer is nothing.... I found it on a site I was browsing through and it claimed that children had an easier time guessing the answer than adults. Who knows if that's true...I couldn't figure it out, by the way!

mischief
10-Feb-06, 13:06
when i was younger my dad ued to say

whay can go up a chimney down ,
but can't go down a chimney up.

i could never get this, its pretty esy really!:o)

The Enigma
10-Feb-06, 13:25
I remember hearing that one as a kid too...

If I remember rightly the answers "umbrella"? Makes sense anyway.

unicorn
10-Feb-06, 13:26
an umbrella :)

_Ju_
10-Feb-06, 13:34
Which room has no door, no windows, no floor and no roof????

squidge
10-Feb-06, 13:36
a mushroom

[lol]

_Ju_
10-Feb-06, 15:26
well done, squidge! ehehheheh

OK...I'm on a role here. What kind of horse only comes out at night time?

scorrie
10-Feb-06, 15:27
well done, squidge! ehehheheh

OK...I'm on a role here. What kind of horse only comes out at night time?

A Night Mare?

scorrie
10-Feb-06, 15:37
Here's a puzzler?

If you have two indentical cylinders of water which are 10 metres deep and have one (X), at 30 degrees F and one (Y), at 30 degrees C, you take two identical 100g metal balls and drop one into each cylinder at the same time. You measure the time it takes for each to reach the bottom. What is the result.

A. They reach the bottom at exactly the same time?
B. Y First but time difference is negligible?
C. X First but time difference is negligible?
D. Y First time difference is measurable?
E. X First time difference is measurable?

DrSzin
10-Feb-06, 15:46
Ha ha, nice one scorrie. :cool:

(I won't spoil it by posting the answer.)

jjc
10-Feb-06, 17:20
I won't spoil it by posting the answer.
Errr... no, neither will I... :confused;)

grantyg
10-Feb-06, 17:56
Probably posted before so sorry.........

There are 3 words in the english language
that end in gry there is angry and hungry but what is the third????

_Ju_
10-Feb-06, 17:58
LOL, good one, Scorrie.

Brrr....it's cold tonight.

paris
10-Feb-06, 18:01
I know this one !! I wish, got a blonde moment. LOL

_Ju_
10-Feb-06, 18:08
If you are in a dark room with a candle, a wood stove and a gas lamp. You only have one match, so what do you light first?

scorrie
10-Feb-06, 18:22
If you are in a dark room with a candle, a wood stove and a gas lamp. You only have one match, so what do you light first?

Game, Set and ?

wickerinca
10-Feb-06, 19:21
Here's a puzzler?

If you have two indentical cylinders of water which are 10 metres deep and have one (X), at 30 degrees F and one (Y), at 30 degrees C, you take two identical 100g metal balls and drop one into each cylinder at the same time. You measure the time it takes for each to reach the bottom. What is the result.

Nice one Scorrie:o) Think of my feet Canuck..30 degrees F!!;)

jjc
10-Feb-06, 19:37
Errr... no, neither will I... :confused;)
Doh! I just got it. I'm so fik!

unicorn
10-Feb-06, 19:41
the match...

wickerinca
10-Feb-06, 19:58
Probably posted before so sorry.........

There are 3 words in the english language
that end in gry there is angry and hungry but what is the third????

Shakespeare Coriolanus Act I, scene i, Line 209;)

_Ju_
10-Feb-06, 20:58
Game, Set and ?
ehheeheh like your answer!!

Three people check into a hotel. They pay £30 to the manager and go to their room. The manager suddenly remembers that the room rate is £25 and gives £5 to the bellboy to return to the people. On the way to the room the bellboy reasons that £5 would be difficult to share among three people so he pockets £2 and gives £1 to each person. Now each person paid £10 and got back £1. So they paid £9 each, totalling £27. The bellboy has £2, totalling £29. Where is the missing £1?

ice box
10-Feb-06, 21:26
ehheeheh like your answer!!

Three people check into a hotel. They pay £30 to the manager and go to their room. The manager suddenly remembers that the room rate is £25 and gives £5 to the bellboy to return to the people. On the way to the room the bellboy reasons that £5 would be difficult to share among three people so he pockets £2 and gives £1 to each person. Now each person paid £10 and got back £1. So they paid £9 each, totalling £27. The bellboy has £2, totalling £29. Where is the missing £1?
There is no missing pound they all got there money back

ice box
10-Feb-06, 21:29
There is no missing pound they all got there money back
yes £25 to the manager £2 to the bellboy and the £3 to the people so no missing pound .

_Ju_
10-Feb-06, 21:44
Well done, Ice box. ;-)))))

ice box
11-Feb-06, 00:00
It happens once in a minute, twice in a week, and once in a year? What is it?

Saveman
11-Feb-06, 00:03
It happens once in a minute, twice in a week, and once in a year? What is it?

The letter "e"

ice box
11-Feb-06, 00:06
Yes pretty easy aye savey have to get u a hard one lol.

krieve
11-Feb-06, 00:09
What driver doesn't have a license?

Saveman
11-Feb-06, 00:10
Yes pretty easy aye savey have to get u a hard one lol.

Yeah ask a question about downloading songs from the Internet that normally confuses me! :lol:

ice box
11-Feb-06, 00:13
Born at the same time as the world, destined to live as long as the world, and yet never five weeks old. What is it?

Saveman
11-Feb-06, 00:15
Born at the same time as the world, destined to live as long as the world, and yet never five weeks old. What is it?

a month....?

rich62_uk
11-Feb-06, 00:15

A month ......... Trish.

rich62_uk
11-Feb-06, 00:17
You beat me ! lol

A boat has a ladder hanging down the side of it, each of the rungs on the wooden ladder are 30 cm apart, the tide is rising at a rate of 15 cm per hour, how long will it be before the sea has gone up three rungs on the ladder ?
...... Trish.

_Ju_
11-Feb-06, 00:17
If you were running a race, and you passed the person in 2nd place, what place would you be in now?

ice box
11-Feb-06, 00:18
What is neither inside the house, outside the house, but no house is complete without it?

rich62_uk
11-Feb-06, 00:19
If you were running a race, and you passed the person in 2nd place, what place would you be in now?

2 nd place ........ Trish.

_Ju_
11-Feb-06, 00:20
You beat me ! lol

A boat has a ladder hanging down the side of it, each of the rungs on the wooden ladder are 30 cm apart, the tide is rising at a rate of 15 cm per hour, how long will it be before the sea has gone up three rungs on the ladder ?
...... Trish.

Could be wrong, but the top and bottom rung are seperated by 60 cm, so 4 hours?

rich62_uk
What is neither inside the house, outside the house, but no house is complete without it?

A window ? .. Trish.

ice box
a month....?
No u want to keep guessing

_Ju_
2 nd place ........ Trish.

Right!!!!! well done.

rich62_uk
11-Feb-06, 00:21
Could be wrong, but the top and bottom rung are seperated by 60 cm, so 4 hours?

You are right ! You got it wrong lol .....Trish.

_Ju_
11-Feb-06, 00:22

golf club?

ice box
11-Feb-06, 00:23
A window ? .. Trish.
well done trish

_Ju_
11-Feb-06, 00:23
You are right ! You got it wrong lol .....Trish.
at least I was right about something!!!!!! LOL!

rich62_uk
11-Feb-06, 00:24

Moon ? ... Trish

_Ju_
11-Feb-06, 00:30
I am the ruler of shovels
I have a double
I am as thin as a knife
I have a wife
What am I?

rich62_uk
11-Feb-06, 00:32
I am the ruler of shovels
I have a double
I am as thin as a knife
I have a wife
What am I?

King of spades ?..... Trish.

rich62_uk
11-Feb-06, 00:40
A very good friend of yours who happens to be an archaeologist telephones you and tells you he has made the most wonderful discovery, he has found the rarest coin ever made, it is dated 25BC, he found it underneath the sarcophagus of an Egyptian Pharaoh in the Vally of the Kings.
Do you feel pleased for him ? If not why not..... Trish.

Took so long as I couldn't spell half of it. [lol] lol

Saveman
11-Feb-06, 00:43
A very good friend of yours who happens to be an archaeologist telephones you and tells you he has made the most wonderful discovery, he has found the rarest coin ever made, it is dated 25BC, he found it underneath the sarcophagus of an Egyptian Pharaoh in the Vally of the Kings.
Do you feel pleased for him ? If not why not..... Trish.

Took so long as I couldn't spell half of it. [lol] lol

You don't feel pleased for him, because its a fake.
Dates Before Christ were not counted as Before Christ....so it wouldn't be dated 25 B.C. :p

krieve
11-Feb-06, 00:45
no ju it's not golf clubs

rich62_uk
11-Feb-06, 00:46
LMAO Savey u got it, how about the boat one ? ;) ....
Trish.

ice box
11-Feb-06, 00:46
well don trish on a role tonight

ice box
11-Feb-06, 00:47
screwdriver

krieve
11-Feb-06, 00:52
correct icebox

Saveman
11-Feb-06, 00:58
You beat me ! lol

...... Trish.

It wouldn't go up the rungs because the boat rises with the tide.

rich62_uk
11-Feb-06, 01:01
It wouldn't go up the rungs because the boat rises with the tide.

Ohhhhhh your good Savey I will have to try harder to get you lol......Trish.

rich62_uk
11-Feb-06, 01:05
A professional sky diver dives out of a plane and lands in the middle of a field, he has a broken leg and although he has a mobile phone he cant get help ! why ? ........ Trish.

Saveman
11-Feb-06, 01:07
A professional sky diver dives out of a plane and lands in the middle of a field, he has a broken leg and although he has a mobile phone he cant get help ! why ? ........ Trish.

He's also dead?

rich62_uk
11-Feb-06, 01:11
Well done, I am trying to lull you into a false sense of security. Tomorrow is another day.........Trish.

(plus I will of had a chance to talk to my son he has hundreds)

Saveman
11-Feb-06, 01:13
Well done, I am trying to lull you into a false sense of security. Tomorrow is another day.........Trish.

(plus I will of had a chance to talk to my son he has hundreds)
Well that one was a guess! I was also going to say maybe he has no arms and so uses his legs to use his phone......but obviously not..... :lol:

Cedric Farthsbottom III
11-Feb-06, 01:15
Another riddle for everyone.....I am in a newspaper and looked at,but never read....What am I?

2little2late
11-Feb-06, 01:16
Four men are stranded on a life raft in the middle of the ocean. They each have a cigarette but nothing to light them with. How do they light their cigarettes?

Geo
11-Feb-06, 01:16
Another riddle for everyone.....I am in a newspaper and looked at,but never read....What am I?

A picture?

Cedric Farthsbottom III
11-Feb-06, 01:24
Too easy.Well done Geo.I must have been working too hard today at work.My real riddle was I am in the Sun newspaper and looked at,but never read....What am I?

Geo
11-Feb-06, 01:26
Four men are stranded on a life raft in the middle of the ocean. They each have a cigarette but nothing to light them with. How do they light their cigarettes?

If one of the men got out of the raft, it would make it lighter. They could use the lighter...

Or they could find out who is the lighter of the four...

Or if two of the men were twins then they'd have a match...

Am I over thinking this? :)

fred
11-Feb-06, 12:08
Here's a riddle for you.

What's black and white and red all over?

BRIE
11-Feb-06, 12:15
Here's a riddle for you.

What's black and white and red all over?
a newspaper.

fred
11-Feb-06, 12:30
a newspaper.

Nope.

My Suffolk Ewe on sheering day.

krieve
11-Feb-06, 12:51
Too easy.Well done Geo.I must have been working too hard today at work.My real riddle was I am in the Sun newspaper and looked at,but never read....What am I?
page 3 .........

scorrie
11-Feb-06, 13:36
Here's a puzzler?

Any takers for an answer?

grantyg
11-Feb-06, 13:54
Yep - Patch Adams!

rich62_uk
11-Feb-06, 14:21
OK easy one (unlike scorries:p )

A man goes into a bar and asks for a glass of water, the barman pulls out a shotgun and puts it in the mans face ! The man smiles and walks out.
Why ? ....Trish.

_Ju_
11-Feb-06, 14:57

Brrrrrrrr its really VERY cold today!

grantyg
11-Feb-06, 15:06

A man goes into a bar and asks for a glass of water, the barman pulls out a shotgun and puts it in the mans face ! The man smiles and walks out.
Why ? ....Trish.

Because the staff are nicer in the wetherspoons round the corner?:)

Saveman
11-Feb-06, 15:10

"A" ?

It's a guess as I'm not sure I fully understand the question.

_Ju_
11-Feb-06, 15:27

Why ? ....Trish.

water gun???

Geo
11-Feb-06, 15:36
Here's a puzzler?

I think the answer is D

canuck
11-Feb-06, 15:42
It's about 30F here. I have a driveway of frozen ice and snow to shovel. There are a few moments when I wish for the 30C summer temperatures.

_Ju_
11-Feb-06, 16:20
I think the answer is D
to cold for any of the others! ..... brrrrrr

rich62_uk
11-Feb-06, 16:45

Well I am going for E,

And no Ju its not a water gun.

Lol at weather spoons Grantyg but alas no..... Trish.

_Ju_
11-Feb-06, 17:42
Yet another one:

A pet shop has cages of 1 cubic meter ( sorry, I only know metrics......): 1m hight x 1m widthx 1 m depth.

The shop recieves a shipment of puffins whose body is 50 cubic centimeters in volume and have beaks that are 5 cm long.

The shop assistant has to calculate how many puffins fit into an empty cage ( don't worry about the ammount space each bird needs, just pack'em in there!!!!!! no worries about animal welfare here...they are afterall imaginary puffins)

ice box
11-Feb-06, 17:49
A black dog stands in the middle of an intersecton in a town painted black. None of the street lights are working due to a power failure caused by a storm. A car with two broken headlights drives towards the dog but turns in time to avoid hitting him. How could the driver have seen the dog in time?

anwser please.

_Ju_
11-Feb-06, 18:06
A black dog stands in the middle of an intersecton in a town painted black. None of the street lights are working due to a power failure caused by a storm. A car with two broken headlights drives towards the dog but turns in time to avoid hitting him. How could the driver have seen the dog in time?

anwser please.
It was during they day?

rich62_uk
11-Feb-06, 18:06

anwser please.

Daytime lol ......... Trish.

rich62_uk
11-Feb-06, 18:12
A man goes out for the evening leaving his fourteen year old daughter at home and he has told her that she may have a friend over, he comes home and without opening the bottle realise's that they have been drinking his vodka, even though he didn't know how much was in it to begin with, how was this possible ? ...... Trish.

ice box
11-Feb-06, 18:12
You on the ball

rich62_uk
11-Feb-06, 18:16
Yet another one:

A pet shop has cages of 1 cubic meter ( sorry, I only know metrics......): 1m hight x 1m widthx 1 m depth.

The shop recieves a shipment of puffins whose body is 50 cubic centimeters in volume and have beaks that are 5 cm long.

The shop assistant has to calculate how many puffins fit into an empty cage ( don't worry about the ammount space each bird needs, just pack'em in there!!!!!! no worries about animal welfare here...they are afterall imaginary puffins)

Is it one ? Because if you put one in then it isnt empty any more ? ...Trish.
Wild guess.

canuck
11-Feb-06, 18:16
Back to the puffins, I have a puffin coat which I purchased in Kirkwall. It is a huge hit with the people of Burlington. Strangers talk to me and kids love it. The otherday someone mentioned an expression "huffin' and puffin". I was going to use it on the fitness club thread, but it works better here.

Somehow I think huffin' and puffin might factor into the answer. "Do you huff and push until all the puffs are in?" Or do you want a number for the puffs in the cage?

It's still morning in Canada. The brain cells aren't quite active yet.

ice box
11-Feb-06, 18:17
Ok then trish heres one
A man was digging and found a block of ice with two people in it. Immediately, he knew it was Adam and Eve. How did he know?

BRIE
11-Feb-06, 18:18
A man goes out for the evening leaving his fourteen year old daughter at home and he has told her that she may have a friend over, he comes home and without opening the bottle realise's that they have been drinking his vodka, even though he didn't know how much was in it to begin with, how was this possible ? ...... Trish.

their both drunk!

rich62_uk
11-Feb-06, 18:18
Ok then trish heres one
A man was digging and found a block of ice with two people in it. Immediately, he knew it was Adam and Eve. How did he know?

No bellie buttons ? ....
. Trish.

rich62_uk
11-Feb-06, 18:19
their both drunk!

Very good lmao good try just the wrong one ..... Trish[lol]

_Ju_
11-Feb-06, 18:20
Is it one ? Because if you put one in then it isnt empty any more ? ...Trish.
Wild guess.
yup...well done. The younger kids I used to work with usualy got this one...the older ones less so.That makes you a youngster, Trish!

rich62_uk
11-Feb-06, 18:22
yup...well done. The younger kids I used to work with usualy got this one...the older ones less so.That makes you a youngster, Trish!

No its because my best friends are toddlers lol.....Trish.

ice box
11-Feb-06, 18:23
A mile from end to end, yet as close to you as a friend. A precious commodity, freely given, seen on the dead and on the living. Found on the rich, poor, short or tall, but shared among children most of all.

What is it?

rich62_uk
11-Feb-06, 18:24

Why ? ....Trish.

Anyone know yet ? ....Trish.

rich62_uk
11-Feb-06, 18:27
A mile from end to end, yet as close to you as a friend. A precious commodity, freely given, seen on the dead and on the living. Found on the rich, poor, short or tall, but shared among children most of all.

What is it?
Thought of shadow but no its not, this has me I will think on lol...... Trish.

rich62_uk
11-Feb-06, 18:28

What is it?

:grin: .....Trish.

scorrie
11-Feb-06, 18:32
I think the answer is D

There is no answer as there is insufficient information to make a decision. It is actually a double trick question. Several people have posted that they know that 30 degrees F is below freezing, therefore the ball will land on ice rather than water. That should make the answer D. However, the ball is metal and, importantly we do not know which metal it is . Some metals, eg Sodium float and dissolve in water.

This is why we do not have Na way of knowing the answer ;o)

rich62_uk
11-Feb-06, 18:36
There is no answer as there is insufficient information to make a decision. It is actually a double trick question. Several people have posted that they know that 30 degrees F is below freezing, therefore the ball will land on ice rather than water. That should make the answer D. However, the ball is metal and, importantly we do not know which metal it is . Some metals, eg Sodium float and dissolve in water.

This is why we do not have Na way of knowing the answer ;o)

Ohhhhhh thats a good one going to send it to my brother in law ........Trish.[lol]

Blast!
11-Feb-06, 18:55
Some answers to some of the riddles.....

The water will never reach the second (or third) step of the ropeladder as the boat is floating on the water so the water level vs the boat's hull doesn't change.

They are drunk!

Everyone has an intestine.....it is at least 1 mile long.....

that's all folks! :grin:

rich62_uk
11-Feb-06, 19:12
Some answers to some of the riddles.....

The water will never reach the second (or third) step of the ropeladder as the boat is floating on the water so the water level vs the boat's hull doesn't change.

They are drunk!

Everyone has an intestine.....it is at least 1 mile long.....

that's all folks! :grin:

Hi Blast,

Yes you are right on the boat one although I think it was Savey who got it right earlier.
And the girls were not drunk they hadnt had that much lol.....Trish.:o)

DrSzin
11-Feb-06, 19:56

This is why we do not have Na way of knowing the answer ;o)Don't be daft. These things are nearly always under-specified, and a pedant can usually claim that there's not sufficient information to give a unique answer. It's a riddle fer gawd's sake! :lol:

Despite that, let's look at the question again and attempt to rise to new levels of pedantry:

If you have two identical cylinders of water which are 10 metres deep and have one (X), at 30 degrees F and one (Y), at 30 degrees C, you take two identical 100g metal balls and drop one into each cylinder at the same time. You measure the time it takes for each to reach the bottom. What is the result?
The blue highlighted text implies that both balls actually reach the bottom. A metal that floats or dissolves wouldn't reach the bottom, thus rendering the question inconsistent. Furthermore, the question specifies two identical cylinders of water. The use of the words identical and water (as opposed to ice) in the red highlighted text may be taken to imply that both cylinders contain H2O in its liquid phase. Therefore the water that's at 30F, a mere 2F or 1C below its freezing point, has not yet frozen or is otherwise supercooled. In this case, both balls would indeed reach the bottom in the order of seconds, or tens thereof, but it would be a bit harder to figure out which one would get there first.

This week's award for gratuitous pedantry went to scorrie. :p

But I now claim it back for myself with brass knobs on. :cool:

Do I not have better things to do? Yes, of course I do, but I'm posting this rubbish in order to avoid doing them. :o

Talking of Sodium, some of the engineers that built PFR reckon that the biggest mistake its designers made was to choose liquid sodium as coolant because it caused too much trouble when it inevitably came into contact with water. Is this a widely-held view? What I can't remember is what they thought they should have used instead. Can anyone enlighten me?

Maybe I should start a new thread for this...

canuck
11-Feb-06, 20:05
I think that water is considered water whether it is solid, liquid or vapour.
But the textbooks from those days at university are now appoaching antique status.

DrSzin
11-Feb-06, 20:34
I think that water is considered water whether it is solid, liquid or vapour.I know that! :lol:

But most people refer to frozen H2O as ice! Even those people who dedicate their lives to the many exotic phases of frozen H2O tend to refer to it as ice -- I think...

But the textbooks from those days at university are now appoaching antique status.I hated thermodynamics at Uni, but I stilll have an ancient copy of that horrible book by Zemansky -- I think...

Cedric Farthsbottom III
11-Feb-06, 21:42
Hi ice-box, is the answer to your riddle about the mile end to end .............smiles.Oh aye and you were right Krieve with your Page 3 answer...hee-hee-hee.

scorrie
11-Feb-06, 22:00
Don't be daft. These things are nearly always under-specified, and a pedant can usually claim that there's not sufficient information to give a unique answer. It's a riddle fer gawd's sake! :lol:

Despite that, let's look at the question again and attempt to rise to new levels of pedantry:

The blue highlighted text implies that both balls actually reach the bottom. A metal that floats or dissolves wouldn't reach the bottom, thus rendering the question inconsistent. Furthermore, the question specifies two identical cylinders of water. The use of the words identical and water (as opposed to ice) in the red highlighted text may be taken to imply that both cylinders contain H2O in its liquid phase. Therefore the water that's at 30F, a mere 2F or 1C below its freezing point, has not yet frozen or is otherwise supercooled. In this case, both balls would indeed reach the bottom in the order of seconds, or tens thereof, but it would be a bit harder to figure out which one would get there first.

This week's award for gratuitous pedantry went to scorrie. :p

But I now claim it back for myself with brass knobs on. :cool:

Do I not have better things to do? Yes, of course I do, but I'm posting this rubbish in order to avoid doing them. :o

Talking of Sodium, some of the engineers that built PFR reckon that the biggest mistake its designers made was to choose liquid sodium as coolant because it caused too much trouble when it inevitably came into contact with water. Is this a widely-held view? What I can't remember is what they thought they should have used instead. Can anyone enlighten me?

Maybe I should start a new thread for this...

Who is putting the Anal into Analysis now?

One thing I do know about Sodium at Dounreay was that the Seagulls did not like it. Those waggish workers used to put lumps of it in chunks of bread and feed it to the birds. "Hilarious" exploding seagulls followed, and all that at the tax payers expense. These are the same guys who were handling Nuclear Waste in the 60's. No wonder they "allegedly" had to cut contaminated seats out of the buses.

This post has been modified to include the word allegedly.

The term buses may mean 1 bus (or less).

The birds involved may have been Kittiwakes or Fulmars but definitely not Puffins. The probability that they were seagulls is 95% or greater.

Sodium might have been a euphemism for Plutonium but I highly doubt it, probability is 1% or less.

ps My wife is overloaded with jewels this evening and I have just awarded her this weeks award for gratuitous Pendantary ;o)

Geo
11-Feb-06, 22:01
Some months have 30 days, some months have 31 days; how many have 28?

scorrie
11-Feb-06, 22:03
Some months have 30 days, some months have 31 days; how many have 28?

all of them

Geo
11-Feb-06, 22:05
Clearly too easy :)

DrSzin
11-Feb-06, 22:26
My analysis wasn't anal, it was uric extraction.

Geo, I find it hard to read your posts. I get distracted and mesmerised by those flippin' tetris blocks edging their way into the wall. It's dead cool. :cool:

I must get an animated avatar...

2little2late
11-Feb-06, 22:31
If one of the men got out of the raft, it would make it lighter. They could use the lighter...

Or they could find out who is the lighter of the four...

Or if two of the men were twins then they'd have a match...

Am I over thinking this? :)

Near enough, throw one of the cigarettes into the sea and make the raft a cigarette lighter.

2little2late
11-Feb-06, 22:35

What is it?
This is the only answer I can think of.
sMILEs

scorrie
11-Feb-06, 23:51
My analysis wasn't anal, it was uric extraction.

I have to report that the result came back negative.

By the way, I seem to recall a genuine analytical technique called the "Brown Ring Test", for Nitrates. Sadly it was not named after a scientist called Brown and we are robbed of a wonderful image. Just have to settle for the fond memories of the bottle of Wanklyn's Reagent in Mr Bruce's lab in the 70's.

canuck
12-Feb-06, 04:51
Thermodynamics - now there was a living nightmare of a subject. I try to forget that year, but the image of the florescent slime green dusk jacket on the text we used just won't leave my mind.

Did we ever get the real answer to the question about cylinders with frozen water. Do "cylinders" by definition have bottoms to hold in the water?

ice box
12-Feb-06, 19:42
This is the only answer I can think of.
sMILEs
yip got in one

mike
13-Feb-06, 14:35

Why ? ....Trish.

The man walked into the bar and asked for a glass of water because he had hiccups, the shotgun in the face scares hims and cures his hiccups so he walks out smiling.

_Ju_
13-Feb-06, 17:13
The man walked into the bar and asked for a glass of water because he had hiccups, the shotgun in the face scares hims and cures his hiccups so he walks out smiling.
I was wondering about this one.... ehhehe