PDA

View Full Version : Jeremy Clarkson

peter macdonald
06-Feb-09, 14:12
http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/tv_and_radio/article5674423.ece

No comment even through Im not employed by the BBC
PM

Liz
06-Feb-09, 14:45
Did have a chuckle at the Bafta mask shown beside this article!

Think Jeremy Clarkson should put his brain in gear before opening his beeg gob!

Bazeye
06-Feb-09, 14:46
At least Clarkson cant get sued for slander.

Gizmo
06-Feb-09, 14:51
The man speaketh the truth, i say he deserves a knight hood :D

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/celebrity/clarkson-factually-correct-200902061562/

Kevin Milkins
06-Feb-09, 14:57
http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/tv_and_radio/article5674423.ece

No comment even through Im not employed by the BBC
PM

I would suggest that it's fair to say Mr Brown is blind in both eyes and also deaf as he doesn't seem to be doing the job he said he was going to do.

I do not see Mr Brown as our leader because I was not given the oppotunity to vote for him.

I would say Mr Clarkson would stand a better chance of getting this country back on it's feet as at least somone might listen to him

porshiepoo
06-Feb-09, 15:27
The guys hilarious and one of the few presenters on TV at the moment actually worth watching. :)

sjr014
06-Feb-09, 15:31
Yip he is hilarious! N i reckon he has 1 o the best jobs ever!

Green_not_greed
06-Feb-09, 16:28
Rather sad to see Clarkson's apologised - after all, he was technically correct.

Now the question is whether Brown will be appearing on Top Gear to challenge the test track!

flash
06-Feb-09, 17:23
I had to laugh at the Scottish Parliament today, condeming Jeremy Clarkson as Gordon Brown lost his sight playing rugby, no defending him being called useless and a liar then.

Liz
06-Feb-09, 18:03
I don't rate Gordon Brown as PM (as Kevin said he wasn't even elected by us!) but this has nothing to do with him having one eye!

Angela
06-Feb-09, 18:14
I don't rate Gordon Brown as PM (as Kevin said he wasn't even elected by us!) but this has nothing to do with him having one eye!

I agree with you completely, Liz.

I'm certainly no fan of Gordon Brown right now, but that's not because he only has one eye!

I've always quite admired him for the way he doesn't seem to have allowed the loss of an eye in his teens to affect his life.

percy toboggan
06-Feb-09, 18:23
This is all getting very, very silly.
Brown has two eyes, but one doesn't work.
No 'idiot' ever made it to number 10 Downing Street....Clarkson needs to brush up on the English language as there are several more fitting epithets to attach to our Gord.

He's Scottish of course. A son of the manse. He looks nothing like a golliwog though, not even a dog eared, one eyed golliwog.

Icebird
06-Feb-09, 18:35
I would suggest that it's fair to say Mr Brown is blind in both eyes and also deaf as he doesn't seem to be doing the job he said he was going to do.

I do not see Mr Brown as our leader because I was not given the oppotunity to vote for him.

I would say Mr Clarkson would stand a better chance of getting this country back on it's feet as at least somone might listen to him

hehe i totally agree! Go Jeremy!! :lol:

TBH
06-Feb-09, 20:06
"In England we have this one eyed, Scottish idiot" What has Gordon Brown being Scottish got to do with his capabilities as a Prime Minister, which, he didn't achieve by being an idiot?
Clarkson should be sacked for his disregard to people with disabilities and borderline racism.

Valerie Campbell
06-Feb-09, 20:27
Jeremy Clarkson likes the publicity and like everyone else is entitled to his opinions whether we agree or not. But I still think Brand's 'retarded cowboy' for ex Pres Bush is the funniest thing I've heard with regards political comment from someone well known. However I don't think it's right to bring people down because of a disability regardless of how bad that disability is.

golach
06-Feb-09, 20:33
Personally, I think Mr Clarkson, is a clever presenter, but an Idjit, who engages his mouth before his brain, and loves to shoot his mouth off, sadly many of our media presenters end up shooting themselves in the foot these days.

crayola
06-Feb-09, 22:06
Clarkson and his chum Hammond turn me off and send me to sleep with their incessant inane chatter.

Gordon Brown on the other hand is a successful and powerful man. Come on girls, how many of of us can truly say we haven't been attracted to a man because of his success? ;)

Boozeburglar
06-Feb-09, 22:27
Clarkson changed his routine after studying Johnny Ross's humour. He is a decent journalist, but a derivative humourist.

He is not fit to pass comment on Gordon Brown, let alone make light of his sight defect. What a Clarkson is. He is a jingoistic sycophant.

You can see every time he has a Holywood celeb on his show. He practically wets his pants he is so gushing.

For such a huge man he is very small indeed.

Gordon Brown, on the other hand, has spent his life devoted to his ideals.

Gizmo
06-Feb-09, 22:32
Gordon Brown on the other hand is a successful and powerful man. Come on girls, how many of of us can truly say we haven't been attracted to a man because of his success? ;)

Gordon Brown has a face like a melted candle.

Boozeburglar
06-Feb-09, 22:38
as opposed to Jeremy Clarkson, whose visage makes me, a heterosexual man, weak at the knees!

TBH
06-Feb-09, 22:50
He is not fit to pass comment on Gordon Brown, let alone make light of his sight defect. What a Clarkson is. He is a jingoistic sycophant.
Gordon Brown, on the other hand, has spent his life devoted to his ideals.Precisely, Gordon Brown is the Prime Minister of the UK, Clarkson fronts top gear. Gordon Brown 1 - Jeremy Clarkson 0.;)

Kevin Milkins
06-Feb-09, 23:10
Clarkson and his chum Hammond turn me off and send me to sleep with their incessant inane chatter.

crayola, please tell me you are only kidding.

The only reason Gordon Brown is prime minister is because he was Tony Blair's sidekick and bean counter.

It now turns out he is not even very good at counting beans ,so how can anyone quantify his success?

Hitler was a very powerfull man and that lot ended in tears.:~(

crayola
06-Feb-09, 23:18
Lol KM, you don't get any of this do you?

Even if you're the best looking man this side of the pond has to offer to compete with my childhood fantasy men such as the young Steve McQueen, Robert Redford or Paul Newman I'd bet the last dollar of my fistful that more of us would swoon at Gordon Brown's feet than yours.

GB is an interesting man, he is successful, he is intelligent and he has power. If you were after my affections, how would you compete with any of those?

Kevin Milkins
06-Feb-09, 23:29

Even if you're the best looking man this side of the pond has to offer to compete with my childhood fantasy men such as the young Steve McQueen, Robert Redford or Paul Newman I'd bet the last dollar of my fistful that more of us would swoon at Gordon Brown's feet than yours.

GB is an interesting man, he is successful, he is intelligent and he has power. If you were after my affections, how would you compete with any of those?

You are absoulutly right crayola.

I dont get it.:confusedlol, I have never heared Gordon Brown and interesting used in the same sentence before.

crayola
06-Feb-09, 23:38

I dont get it.:confusedlol, I have never heared Gordon Brown and interesting used in the same sentence before.That's because you don't appreciate how difficult it is to live in the public eye or how difficult it is to do his job.

Whether or not the current situation is his fault, it is definitely his responsibility so he has to fix it as best he can.

What would you do right now to turn around the economy if you were prime minister? Detailed proposals please.

joxville
06-Feb-09, 23:46

I dont get it.:confusedlol, I have never heared Gordon Brown and interesting used in the same sentence before.

That's because you don't appreciate how difficult it is to live in the public eye or how difficult it is to do his job.

Whether or not the current situation is his fault, it is definitely his responsibility so he has to fix it as best he can.

What would you do right now to turn around the economy if you were prime minister? Detailed proposals please.

Input error. Input error. Oh dear, Kevin's head has just exploded. :D

Goldie
06-Feb-09, 23:50
"In England we have this one eyed, Scottish idiot" What has Gordon Brown being Scottish got to do with his capabilities as a Prime Minister, which, he didn't achieve by being an idiot?
Clarkson should be sacked for his disregard to people with disabilities and borderline racism.

To be Honest TBH - I thought your comments on the thread on Disabled Parking Penalty made it look like you had a disregard to people with disabilities and caused quite a stir on the board so your comment here surprises me.

I agree with Kevin - Nobody got the chance to vote for GB he was what was left behind, when the person who was voted into power left.

I think JC is brilliant, however may be he was incorrect in airing his view so openly.

crayola
06-Feb-09, 23:57
I agree with Kevin - Nobody got the chance to vote for GB he was what was left behind, when the person who was voted into power left.The Labour party won the last UK election because it won more seats than all the other parties put together. We have a parliamentary democracy not a presidential system so the leader of the Labour Party is PM.

You seem to want a different system, a system that we don't have. You are free to express your wishes but they aren't commensurate with our electoral system. Gordon Brown is rightly prime minister whatever you think.

TBH
06-Feb-09, 23:59
To be Honest TBH - I thought your comments on the thread on Disabled Parking Penalty made it look like you had a disregard to people with disabilities and caused quite a stir on the board so your comment here surprises me.

I agree with Kevin - Nobody got the chance to vote for GB he was what was left behind, when the person who was voted into power left.

I think JC is brilliant, however may be he was incorrect in airing his view so openly.If you read too deeply then you may be of that assumption.
That post was tongue in cheek, never serious ad I will admit I was wrong to try and make light of such an emotive subject.
As you have mentioned it, I realise that I have upset people myself.

crayola
06-Feb-09, 23:59
Input error. Input error. Oh dear, Kevin's head has just exploded. :DOh dear, can you nip round to his house and check he's alright? I wouldn't want to be held responsible for his widow's decorating bill.

wifie
07-Feb-09, 00:01

I think JC is brilliant, however may be he was incorrect in airing his view so openly.

Emm I just think TBH has a sense of humour - sadly lackin in some on here! JC can be funny but seems to be lettin it go to his head!

scorrie
07-Feb-09, 00:04

I reckon more women, given a straight choice between Broonie and Kevin Milkins, would definitely pick Kevin.

Recent file photos on the two, show Kevin has a big advantage:-

Gordon "Seven Chins" Brown:-

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i237/scorrie57/gordon-brown-4.jpg

Kevin "The Lighthouse" Milkins:-

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i237/scorrie57/george-clooney.jpg

By the way, Kevin says the key to the economy is giving OUR money to the banks so that THEY can lend it back to US. A sure winner!!

wifie
07-Feb-09, 00:06
I reckon more women, given a straight choice between Broonie and Kevin Milkins, would definitely pick Kevin.

By the way, Kevin says the key to the economy is giving OUR money to the banks so that THEY can lend it back to US. A sure winner!!

If Kev looks like this who cares what he is saying! :cool:

Goldie
07-Feb-09, 00:07
The Labour party won the last UK election because it won more seats than all the other parties put together. We have a parliamentary democracy not a presidential system so the leader of the Labour Party is PM.

You seem to want a different system, a system that we don't have. You are free to express your wishes but they aren't commensurate with our electoral system. Gordon Brown is rightly prime minister whatever you think.

You seem to think you know what I want - Wrong!

When I vote for a party I vote on what they say they are going to do and what they say their beliefs are - but most importantly - I vote for who I think I can trust that they will do what they say - as the leader of the party is someone you should put your trust in - I think it is important that you have faith in them.

I am not stupid - and know how the UK Election system works.

butterfly
07-Feb-09, 00:10
Precisely, Gordon Brown is the Prime Minister of the UK, Clarkson fronts top gear. Gordon Brown 1 - Jeremy Clarkson 0.;)

tbh,you forgot to mention jeremy clarkson has a face only a mother could love!hee hee[lol]

crayola
07-Feb-09, 00:11
Emm I just think TBH has a sense of humour - sadly lackin in some on here!Ssssh wifie! Careless talk about people without a sense of humour is guaranteed to waken them and start them posting about things they don't understand.

For those that don't get it, I'm talking about men. :D

crayola
07-Feb-09, 00:14
You seem to think you know what I want - Wrong!

When I vote for a party I vote on what they say they are going to do and what they say their beliefs are - but most importantly - I vote for who I think I can trust that they will do what they say - as the leader of the party is someone you should put your trust in - I think it is important that you have faith in them.

I am not stupid - and know how the UK Election system works.What do you want then?

It was fairly clear before the last election that Blair wouldn't last more than a year or two and that Brown would probably be his successor, whether Blair liked it or not.

TBH
07-Feb-09, 00:15
tbh,you forgot to mention jeremy clarkson has a face only a mother could love!hee hee[lol]
I now Butterfly, not only is he facially challenged, he's a pillock to boot.

Goldie
07-Feb-09, 00:17
If you read too deeply then you may be of that assumption.
That post was tongue in cheek, never serious ad I will admit I was wrong to try and make light of such an emotive subject.
As you have mentioned it, I realise that I have upset people myself.

OK TBH sorry not to have understood - I retract my comment to you

Cheers

TBH
07-Feb-09, 00:20
OK TBH sorry not to have understood - I retract my comment to you

CheersNo, what you said was fair comment. No need for an apology but thanks for your understanding.

joxville
07-Feb-09, 00:26

Actually, this is Kevin Milkins:

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/46/051734en6.jpg

Goldie
07-Feb-09, 00:28
What do you want then?

It was fairly clear before the last election that Blair wouldn't last more than a year or two and that Brown would probably be his successor, whether Blair liked it or not.

Do you know something? I just joined in the chat like others, I didn't see you get on at KM like you have me. I never usually even get in conversations about political issues and I didn't even say who I had or had not voted for. It's a shame - I don't think I posted anything horrible on here, I am new to all the posting game so have not got used to everyone and the humour that I may not have understood. Sorry if I said something wrong, it was not intended.

Cheers and Goodbye Goldie has left the Org.

crayola
07-Feb-09, 00:36
Hey Goldie, the sense of humour jibe wasn't aimed at you. I'll PM and explain.

butterfly
07-Feb-09, 01:15
Do you know something? I just joined in the chat like others, I didn't see you get on at KM like you have me. I never usually even get in conversations about political issues and I didn't even say who I had or had not voted for. It's a shame - I don't think I posted anything horrible on here, I am new to all the posting game so have not got used to everyone and the humour that I may not have understood. Sorry if I said something wrong, it was not intended.

Cheers and Goodbye Goldie has left the Org.

i agree folks,it takes a wee whiley to get used to you lot!!!but i hope that goldie comes back:roll:

Kevin Milkins
07-Feb-09, 01:19
That's because you don't appreciate how difficult it is to live in the public eye or how difficult it is to do his job.

Mr Brown

I can see that as someone that has mentioned on a previous thread that I have no interest or knowledge of politics, that I have set myself up for a beating, however with my limited skills I will try and answer your questions.

Its well documented that Gordon Brown has been a wannabee leader for many years and has harboured an unhealthy obsession with the fact that Tony Blair was doing the job that he felt he could much better

By default Gordon Brown becomes our leader and it is my opinion that before even trying sort out the problems of the nation he should have gone to the public and said “ I am the next in line to the throne of prime minister please vote me in as such and I will put this country back on its feet.
If he had done this I would say he would have been the duly elected prime minister , but chose not to (just in case) and lost his credibility with many people like myself before he even started the job.

I do appreciate how difficult it is to be in the public eye, however I must admit that I have never been a prime minister before and don’t think that is going to happen any time soon.

I am a person that would not ridicule someone’s beliefs and if you find Gordon Brown sexy and interesting then so be it, I think I can live with that as long as I don’t have to watch the video.

As for putting the country back on it’s feet I would start a new party and call it the sensible party.

I would have Boris Johnston as prime minister and Jeremy Clarkson as deputy prime minister.
Having sorted out the top jobs I would then choose a cabinet and I think I would have Scorrie as treasurer as he knows a good bet when he sees one and I would have Percy as foreign affairs minister as he seems to know a lot about that sort of stuff. The minister for old folk would go to trix and transport minister would be Northerner, Alice in Blunderland and Fran would look after the NHS and Gizmo would be in charge of employment issues.(the bloke deserves a break) I think Jox would be a good guy to have in charge of the roads as he seems to know a bit about tarmac.. Tugs would be minister for weather and the agricultural job might go to wellies . .

I am sure these are not the answer’s you were looking for, but the best I could do.

This government might not seem ideal to some, but at least we would have a laugh and could not possibly make things any worse than they are now..

Gizmo
07-Feb-09, 01:29
Mr Brown

I can see that as someone that has mentioned on a previous thread that I have no interest or knowledge of politics, that I have set myself up for a beating, however with my limited skills I will try and answer your questions.

Its well documented that Gordon Brown has been a wannabee leader for many years and has harboured an unhealthy obsession with the fact that Tony Blair was doing the job that he felt he could much better

By default Gordon Brown becomes our leader and it is my opinion that before even trying sort out the problems of the nation he should have gone to the public and said “ I am the next in line to the throne of prime minister please vote me in as such and I will put this country back on its feet.
If he had done this I would say he would have been the duly elected prime minister , but chose not to (just in case) and lost his credibility with many people like myself before he even started the job.

I do appreciate how difficult it is to be in the public eye, however I must admit that I have never been a prime minister before and don’t think that is going to happen any time soon.

I am a person that would not ridicule someone’s beliefs and if you find Gordon Brown sexy and interesting then so be it, I think I can live with that as long as I don’t have to watch the video.

As for putting the country back on it’s feet I would start a new party and call it the sensible party.

I would have Boris Johnston as prime minister and Jeremy Clarkson as deputy prime minister.
Having sorted out the top jobs I would then choose a cabinet and I think I would have Scorrie as treasurer as he knows a good bet when he sees one and I would have Percy as foreign affairs minister as he seems to know a lot about that sort of stuff. The minister for old folk would go to trix and transport minister would be Northerner, Alice in Blunderland and Fran would look after the NHS and Gizmo would be in charge of employment issues.(the bloke deserves a break) I think Jox would be a good guy to have in charge of the roads as he seems to know a bit about tarmac.. Tugs would be minister for weather and the agricultural job might go to wellies . .

I am sure these are not the answer’s you were looking for, but the best I could do.

This government might not seem ideal to some, but at least we would have a laugh and could not possibly make things any worse than they are now..

Percy for Foreign Affairs?...nah, put him in charge of immigration :lol:

Cheers for the job Kev, i gratefully accept :D

joxville
07-Feb-09, 01:33
I wish I could rep you for that Kev but I have to spread it around.

Btw, I'd love the job of roads minister, give work to loads of unemployed for a start.

crayola
07-Feb-09, 01:47
Mr Brown

This government might not seem ideal to some, but at least we would have a laugh and could not possibly make things any worse than they are now..Thanks KM, I appreciate your sense of humour but I'm sure you'll be the first to agree you haven't answered my question.

The problem with the 'sensible party' is that it relies on that old chestnut 'common sense'. Everyone will agree that common sense is a good thing but no-one will agree with anyone else's account of what it is.

Let me set you some easier challenges..........

Can you explain why the economy is in recession and can you elaborate why Gordon Brown is to blame?

Joking aside, can you or anyone else tell me who would make a better prime minister at this point in time, and why? Who knows what the best route out of this situation is?

Scorrie jokes about the government lending our money to the banks so they can loan it back to us. This may appear flippant but he is, or may be, making a serious point that needs to be understood and answered by anyone who claims to have a serious economic model for recovery.

Kevin Milkins
07-Feb-09, 02:27
Thanks KM, I appreciate your sense of humour but I'm sure you'll be the first to agree you haven't answered my question.

The problem with the 'sensible party' is that it relies on that old chestnut 'common sense'. Everyone will agree that common sense is a good thing but no-one will agree with anyone else's account of what it is.

Let me set you some easier challenges..........

Can you explain why the economy is in recession and can you elaborate why Gordon Brown is to blame?

Joking aside, can you or anyone else tell me who would make a better prime minister at this point in time, and why? Who knows what the best route out of this situation is?

Scorrie jokes about the government lending our money to the banks so they can loan it back to us. This may appear flippant but he is, or may be, making a serious point that needs to be understood and answered by anyone who claims to have a serious economic model for recovery.

Crayola, What makes you feel qualified to set me any challenges apart from the fact that you think you are cleverer than me.

I have already stated that I have no interest in politics and my reading and writing skills isn’t the best either so if you wish to challenge me with intellect or politics or any other area that feel you comfortable with, then don’t.

I don’t recall saying that I thought Gordon Brown was responsible for the recession, but he has got the job that he so desperately wanted and seems to have no answers to the problems either.

If a football team is not doing too well, how long does the manager last.?

If I thought I had any of the answers to the problems that the world faces I would put myself forward to sought them out.

The thread was about Jeremy Clarkson and what he thought of the PM. I am not supportive of that type of rude behaviour, but it seems that most folks would agree with him and if you have a fetish about our non-elected PM it’s something I can do nought about.

As most people on the org that know me will tell you, I don’t do serious and if you find this unacceptable, I will understand.

crayola
07-Feb-09, 02:31

I would say Mr Clarkson would stand a better chance of getting this country back on it's feet as at least somone might listen to himIn response to your previous post may I remind you that you wrote the words above and I responded to them. Please feel free to retract them if you don't feel qualified to defend them.

Kevin Milkins
07-Feb-09, 02:58
In response to your previous post may I remind you that you wrote the words above and I responded to them. Please feel free to retract them if you don't feel qualified to defend them.

As already stated,this post was about what Mr Clarkson said about Mr Brown.

It is still my position that dispite the best efforts of Mr Brown to put the UK on a firm footing, he may as well be both deaf and blind as his efforts have come to nothing other than disaster.

It is not for me to explain to you why Mr Brown has failed in his mission to live up to your expectations.

It is all well and good to blame the world down turn on his faliure, but is anyone going to stand up and say "sorry this is my fault" I think not.

Kevin Milkins
07-Feb-09, 03:16
Actually, this is Kevin Milkins:

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/46/051734en6.jpg

Cheers Jox.
You know I have not be well. lol

crayola
07-Feb-09, 03:42
As already stated,this post was about what Mr Clarkson said about Mr Brown.

It is still my position that dispite the best efforts of Mr Brown to put the UK on a firm footing, he may as well be both deaf and blind as his efforts have come to nothing other than disaster.

It is not for me to explain to you why Mr Brown has failed in his mission to live up to your expectations.

It is all well and good to blame the world down turn on his faliure, but is anyone going to stand up and say "sorry this is my fault" I think not.May I put it to you that you have no idea what is going on in the UK economy at present? Do you even know what the problems are? I think not.

Why then should anyone pay any attention to your opinion of how Gordon Brown is doing?

May I offer two words of advice when you're so out of your depth that you're contradicting yourself?

Stop digging!

Fran
07-Feb-09, 04:06
Oh dear, can you nip round to his house and check he's alright? I wouldn't want to be held responsible for his widow's decorating bill.

Crayola...I think this was a really nasty comment .

Kevin.....Excellent posts, very funny.

crayola
07-Feb-09, 04:12
Sheesh, it was part of a series of humorous exchanges.

Dire indeed. :roll:

Kevin Milkins
07-Feb-09, 09:16
May I put it to you that you have no idea what is going on in the UK economy at present? Do you even know what the problems are? I think not.

Why then should anyone pay any attention to your opinion of how Gordon Brown is doing?

May I offer two words of advice when you're so out of your depth that you're contradicting yourself?

Stop digging!

Feel free to put it to me any way you like.

I may not be as clever at judging the weather as Tugmistress, but I only need to look out of the window to see that it has been snowing.

Michael Fish made an awefull mistake with a weather forcast back in the 80's and we had the worst storm recorded, it's no good blaming someone. else.

Mr Brown is in the job he wanted so bad and it ain't going to well for him, you don't need to be a scientist to work that out.

Unlike yourself, I dont feel as if I need to be right about anything as it was just my opinon and if my opinon does not count for much I am sure I can live with it.

wickscorrie
07-Feb-09, 11:56
freedom of speach is supposed to be a good thing - why are we up in arms about this clarkson was aiming his remark about brown surely if it bothers brown then he should make the reply, why do we get so involved and blow these daft remarks to the upper reaches
clarkson was not including the whole of the blind/ idiot/ scottish groups
as well as thatcher with her remarks they get blown up and hyped by the media to such proportions that i'm sure it begins to resemble a kids playground fight!!!

me thinks media to blame!!!!!

Mystical Potato Head
07-Feb-09, 13:59
To be quite honest it seems Britain is developing an "i want to be easily offended attitude" or in this case should it be "eye want to be easily offended attitude"where humour bypass seems to be the order of the day.
The BBC recieved complaints about Top Gears V8 powered rocking chair which had a tailors dummy dressed up as a "granny" as being disrespectful to old people.Perhaps they should have stated"no senior citizens where hurt or actually used in the making of this programme."
The levels of political correctness with which we have to adhere to, so as not to offend and not to be called a racist,sexist,anti this,anti that or any other type of "ist"is bordering on the ridiculous.

crayola
07-Feb-09, 14:16
No-one has to adhere to the levels of political correctness you list. As far as I can see people either choose to adhere to them or spend their time complaining about them. Others blame the media. I ignore the media and I ignore complaints about PC issues, which will only get to you if you allow them to.

KM, FYI Michael Fish was right, the tale has developed into an urban myth.

The storm cost a total of 18 lives and an estimated £1 billion in repairs and clear-up costs. Hundreds of people were injured. Around 15 million trees were lost and hundreds of thousands of homes were without power for more than 24 hours.
By the time most people went to bed, exceptionally strong winds had not even been mentioned in national radio and TV weather broadcasts.
Michael Fish's famous line that there wouldn't be a hurricane was actually correct. He was referring to a tropical cyclone in the West Atlantic.
Officially the gusts were locally hurricane force in strength but not sufficiently widespread.
According to the Met Office the last storm of similar magnitude in England occurred in 1703.
See here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/october/16/newsid_2533000/2533219.stm).

You're right, your opinion doesn't count for much with me. I was trying to help you see what is going on, in other words to help you. You can choose to listen or not.

Kevin Milkins
07-Feb-09, 16:01
No-one has to adhere to the levels of political correctness you list. As far as I can see people either choose to adhere to them or spend their time complaining about them. Others blame the media. I ignore the media and I ignore complaints about PC issues, which will only get to you if you allow them to.

KM, FYI Michael Fish was right, the tale has developed into an urban myth.

See here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/october/16/newsid_2533000/2533219.stm).

You're right, your opinion doesn't count for much with me. I was trying to help you see what is going on, in other words to help you. You can choose to listen or not.

crayola

As I have already gone to great lengths to point out, I have no interest in politics and I resent your suggestion that it was your intention to try and help me to understand what is going on.

It is plain to see that your intention is to show how clever you think you are by trying to ridicule people with a lesser level of literacy skills.

I will not retract my first comments and I stand by what I said. It is still my opinion that Gordon Brown could not of got it more wrong if he were deaf and blind

A couple of questions for you .

Would Gordon Brown be Prime Minister if it went to a general election?

If Tony Blair was still Prime Minister and Gordon Brown still holding the purse would Mr. Brown be so keen to use the public money to bail out the banks?

percy toboggan
07-Feb-09, 16:13
A half decent spat.

Kevin, you clearly do not have even my modest grasp of what the hell is going on economically. You cannot yet write off Brown's efforts to stabilise things, then kick-start the economy. Give it a year or so, and we shall see. Admittedly , his VAT cut seems to have been a mistake. I thought so at the time.

However, as banks rebuild their balance sheets and confidence (and funds) slowly return to the City then we might begin to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Much depends on what happens in the United States. Leaders worldwide have adopted poilicies similar to Brown's - although he has perhaps penalised the banks too much in the form of high interest requirements.

But: Did you know for instance that Northern Rock Bank has already paid back half of what the Government loaned it to stave off insolvency?

Did you know also that recently some bank shares have increased in value by about 100% from a very low base? There are a few positivies out there. Banks need to keep their best investment brains - and invest in control policies and legal eagles to make sure the same mistakes are not made twice. This is why bonuses (in moderation) should be preserved.

What I totally disagree with is the rock bottom savings rates which are penalising savers for the sake of relieving pressure on those who simly borrowed too much.
This is costing me dear...very dear. Only nimble management of money and taking the time & trouble to move things around is preserving any reasonable rate of return.

600,000 jobs were los tin the United States in January alone: a staggeirng figure. I this is a sample of things to follow ehre then Brown's tenure at number ten will be brief indeed. History might judge him unfortunate, or indeed the part architect of his own downfall.

Oh! and if Jeremy Clarkson was from hotter parts he might look just a little like a golliwog with that hair of his.

Average
07-Feb-09, 16:14
Clarkson changed his routine after studying Johnny Ross's humour. He is a decent journalist, but a derivative humourist.

You can see every time he has a Holywood celeb on his show. He practically wets his pants he is so gushing.

For such a huge man he is very small indeed.

Gordon Brown, on the other hand, has spent his life devoted to his ideals.

Thats the most articulate and accurate post I have read on the subject on many forums.

percy toboggan
07-Feb-09, 16:20
Thats the most articulate and accurate post I have read on the subject on many forums.

Just a shame he used the four letter word which begins with 't' and rhymes with pratt.

I'm surprised he got away with it - it doesn't belong in this board.
Not big, not clever...articulate my artic.

Bazeye
07-Feb-09, 16:26

Chill pill time.:D

Mystical Potato Head
07-Feb-09, 16:27
Never said anyone HAD to adhere to them,my point is this it yet another case of mountains out of molehills,i was just making a point of how trivial the whole thing is.

Micheal Fish actually mentioned live during his forecast about someone calling in about a"Hurricane" that was coming our way.His reply that there wasn't is only because you need water temperatures of least 26C to generate a hurricane and UK waters are never warm enough for that.,so he was being a tad pedantic, but he nor the Met Office forecast "hurricane strenght"(in excess of 74mph.) winds either whilst at the same time members of the public were phoning in about "having heard" there was a hurricane on the way.
Seems some people knew about it before most people went to bed and certainly before the Met Office.
He actually rather arogantly used that very point that the sea never gets warm enough for a hurricane on a tv interview.
More pedantic myth than urban.

Bazeye
07-Feb-09, 16:29
Precisely, Gordon Brown is the Prime Minister of the UK, Clarkson fronts top gear. Gordon Brown 1 - Jeremy Clarkson 0.;)

I know which job Id rather have though.;)

binbob
07-Feb-09, 17:19
Mr Brown

FAIRYLAND...methinks...i would definitely emigrate in this case!!!![lol][lol]

binbob
07-Feb-09, 17:20
Crayola...I think this was a really nasty comment .

Kevin.....Excellent posts, very funny.

typical..[disgust]

binbob
07-Feb-09, 17:22
A half decent spat.

Kevin, you clearly do not have even my modest grasp of what the hell is going on economically. You cannot yet write off Brown's efforts to stabilise things, then kick-start the economy. Give it a year or so, and we shall see. Admittedly , his VAT cut seems to have been a mistake. I thought so at the time.

However, as banks rebuild their balance sheets and confidence (and funds) slowly return to the City then we might begin to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Much depends on what happens in the United States. Leaders worldwide have adopted poilicies similar to Brown's - although he has perhaps penalised the banks too much in the form of high interest requirements.

But: Did you know for instance that Northern Rock Bank has already paid back half of what the Government loaned it to stave off insolvency?

Did you know also that recently some bank shares have increased in value by about 100% from a very low base? There are a few positivies out there. Banks need to keep their best investment brains - and invest in control policies and legal eagles to make sure the same mistakes are not made twice. This is why bonuses (in moderation) should be preserved.

What I totally disagree with is the rock bottom savings rates which are penalising savers for the sake of relieving pressure on those who simly borrowed too much.
This is costing me dear...very dear. Only nimble management of money and taking the time & trouble to move things around is preserving any reasonable rate of return.

600,000 jobs were los tin the United States in January alone: a staggeirng figure. I this is a sample of things to follow ehre then Brown's tenure at number ten will be brief indeed. History might judge him unfortunate, or indeed the part architect of his own downfall.

Oh! and if Jeremy Clarkson was from hotter parts he might look just a little like a golliwog with that hair of his.

percy..love it>[lol]

Mystical Potato Head
07-Feb-09, 17:40

He didnt achieve his role as Prime Minister through the electorate either.

There is a guy in Stromness who lost part of his foot and went in to a shop to get a pair of boots"Could i get one size 11 and the other size 6".Seems some people who have disabilties are less sensitive about them than those who dont suffer from any and try to make light of the matter and have a laugh at their own expense.
As for being racist,well Clarkson called him Scottish which he is.He called him an idiot because he thinks he is.
So what do you call a one eyed person from Scotland whom you believe to be an idiot?
I know that whenever i have worked in England my name suddenly changes to Jock so maybe Clarkson should have called him Jock Brown or is Jock verging on the racist ?

gleeber
07-Feb-09, 17:48
Jeremy Clarksons comments are completely out of order and betrays an arrogance usually reserved for Gods and big mouths.
He should be turfed out the door along with his small band of obliging furbies. Apoligies to all furbies.

scorrie
07-Feb-09, 19:11
So what do you call a one eyed person from Scotland whom you believe to be an idiot?

Constipation?

i.e. One Brown eye that isn't get the job done!! ;)

Boss
07-Feb-09, 19:22
At least Clarkson cant get sued for slander.
Haha! with you there mate hahahaha,

Average
07-Feb-09, 19:28

An idiot.

If you felt stephen Hawking was an idiot how would you describe him?

bish667
07-Feb-09, 19:41
What is the official way of saying someone has 1 eye without saying they have 1 eye?

sight challenged?

Angela
07-Feb-09, 19:48
It seems to have become the fashion to applaud people like Clarkson for being such jolly good fun and such outrageously great 'characters' who tell it like it is and have the 'right' to do so in whatever way they see fit.

Folk like me who think his remark about Gordon Brown was crass, unkind, childish and out of place (tho' not all that surprising after his 'kill a prostitute' so-called joke) are now told we must be ridiculously over sensitive, delicate plants, far too easily offended, we've had a sense of humour bypass and that of course we plainly must belong to.... what else but the dreaded PC brigade. :roll:

The anti-PC brigade seem to be taking over and loudmouthed rudeness and unkindness becoming the order of the day.

I've no interest in whether something is or isn't deemed to be politically correct, but I regret the way that some people seem to applaud cheap jibes and blatant rudeness as if they're the very epitome of sparkling wit.:(

bish667
07-Feb-09, 19:59
I take it no-one here watches Jimmy Carr?
He gets away with a lot more and you dont see his name all over the paper.
can anyone explain that to me?
Fair enough he's a comedian so maybe it's allowed more, but Top Gear is also entertainment.

TBH
07-Feb-09, 20:13
He didnt achieve his role as Prime Minister through the electorate either.I can't remember saying that he did?

There is a guy in Stromness who lost part of his foot and went in to a shop to get a pair of boots"Could i get one size 11 and the other size 6".Seems some people who have disabilties are less sensitive about them than those who dont suffer from any and try to make light of the matter and have a laugh at their own expense.Maybe that's his way of coping and good on him but it wouldn't give you the right to make jokes about his disability, would it?

As for being racist,well Clarkson called him Scottish which he is.He called him an idiot because he thinks he is.Again, what has being Scottish or having a disability got to do with his capabilities as Prime Minister? Clarkson was using Brown's nationality as a pejorative, he's the idiot and he should be sacked.

So what do you call a one eyed person from Scotland whom you believe to be an idiot?I would call them an idiot, why would I use their nationality or disability.

I know that whenever i have worked in England my name suddenly changes to Jock so maybe Clarkson should have called him Jock Brown or is Jock verging on the racist ?Why did you change your name to Jock when you worked in England?

Kevin Milkins
07-Feb-09, 20:22
What is the official way of saying someone has 1 eye without saying they have 1 eye?

sight challenged?

My son has sight in only his one eye and he was once refered to as "mono sighted".

He started playing rugby at six and is still a very prolific rugby player at thirty two and has never thought of it as a disability.

Eagleclaw68
07-Feb-09, 21:09
Gordon Brown is still a idiot and it does not matter if he's blind in one eye or Scottish he's still a idiot a blundering idiot at that, poor Jeremy Clarkson a typical Yorkshire man he Say's what he thinks and the Scottish bit did not offend me, Clarkson was stating fact like mandelson is a English idiot, a union of idiots at number 10.

Kevin Milkins
07-Feb-09, 21:14
I had to laugh at the Scottish Parliament today, condeming Jeremy Clarkson as Gordon Brown lost his sight playing rugby, no defending him being called useless and a liar then.

Sorry flash, I am a bit slow on the uptake and just got that.lol:lol:

scorrie
08-Feb-09, 01:22

sight challenged?

A Pirate? ;)

Mystical Potato Head
08-Feb-09, 13:18
An idiot.

If you felt stephen Hawking was an idiot how would you describe him?

How about an idiot who could have at least got a computer with an English accent?

crayola
08-Feb-09, 14:39
crayola

As I have already gone to great lengths to point out, I have no interest in politics and I resent your suggestion that it was your intention to try and help me to understand what is going on.

It is plain to see that your intention is to show how clever you think you are by trying to ridicule people with a lesser level of literacy skills.Why bring up your literacy skills? I didn't. They are not relevant to this discussion.

It's up to you whether you want to try to understand what's going on in our economy and in the world economy. Why won't you even try to educate yourself? My offer of help remains open.

Believe you me, you would know about it if I were trying to ridicule you. Go back and read some of my old posts if you want to see what I'm capable of.

I will not retract my first comments and I stand by what I said. It is still my opinion that Gordon Brown could not of got it more wrong if he were deaf and blindPercy's response to your comments sums up the economic situation and your understanding rather well. He begins

A half decent spat.

Kevin, you clearly do not have even my modest grasp of what the hell is going on economically. You cannot yet write off Brown's efforts to stabilise things, then kick-start the economy. Give it a year or so, and we shall see. Admittedly , his VAT cut seems to have been a mistake. I thought so at the time.Read the rest of it Kevin and you might begin to understand.

I'm not sure the VAT cut should be classed as a mistake because it has put a lot of money back into the economy but it hasn't changed attitudes or raise confidence very much, if at all. A tax cut at the lower end, largely for the lower paid, would have put more money in people's pockets and actually increased confidence a bit. The VAT cut reduced the headline inflation figures but they were already ceasing to be a problem by then.

A couple of questions for you .

Would Gordon Brown be Prime Minister if it went to a general election?

If Tony Blair was still Prime Minister and Gordon Brown still holding the purse would Mr. Brown be so keen to use the public money to bail out the banks?I don't think Gordon Brown would win a general election if it were held right now, but neither do I think the Tories are a better prospect.

Your second question is a good one! I don't know the answer but you've raised an interesting point.

crayola
08-Feb-09, 14:44
Never said anyone HAD to adhere to them,my point is this it yet another case of mountains out of molehills,i was just making a point of how trivial the whole thing is.I know you were and I agree with you, I should have directed my comments towards those who rant and rave at the PC brigade while the real issues fly over their heads.

Micheal Fish actually mentioned live during his forecast about someone calling in about a"Hurricane" that was coming our way.His reply that there wasn't is only because you need water temperatures of least 26C to generate a hurricane and UK waters are never warm enough for that.,so he was being a tad pedantic, but he nor the Met Office forecast "hurricane strenght"(in excess of 74mph.) winds either whilst at the same time members of the public were phoning in about "having heard" there was a hurricane on the way.
Seems some people knew about it before most people went to bed and certainly before the Met Office.
He actually rather arogantly used that very point that the sea never gets warm enough for a hurricane on a tv interview.
More pedantic myth than urban.Fair enough comment. I was on the south coast a couple of days after the storm and it it really was a mess.

crayola
08-Feb-09, 15:39
How about an idiot who could have at least got a computer with an English accent?Hey, I actually know the answer to this question. :cool:

I asked Stephen about it when I met him a couple of years ago. His electronic accent was state of the art technology when he got his first voice about 30 years ago. Speech generator technology has improved enormously in the intervening years but people know his electronic voice and he himself is used to it so he hasn't upgraded to a more realistic human voice. His computer itself gets replaced so it is state of the art.

Kevin Milkins
08-Feb-09, 15:53
I brought up literacy skills in general and not necessarily just mine and if I thought this thread was about discussion or serious debate then I might have been interested in listening to what you have to say
and perhaps take on board some of your extensive wisdom.

It has however become apparent that the only reason that you want to continue this particular discussion is to massage your ego and to spend some time attempting to brighten up the lives of others with your razor sharp repartee and become the hero of the Org.

I did read what Percy had to say and chose not to reply and take on board his words of wisdom as I did not feel he was making an attempt to insult me, however now that you have mentioned it for Percy to be able to say that “I clearly have not even a moderate grasp of what is going on economically” and then go on to say “This is costing me dear...very dear. Only nimble management of money and taking the time & trouble to move things around is preserving any reasonable rate of return” would suggest to me that his knowledge of investments leaves him wanting somewhat.

My pension fund is doing just fine.

I now feel that we have hijacked a thread that was to discuss what Mr. Clarkson rudely said about Mr. Brown and if you would like to start a new thread on Mr. Brown I will be sure not to join in as already stated on another thread I will interact with those I like and give the ones I don’t like a wide berth.

Perhaps I should close with what started this unpleasant exchange of views

You found Mr. Brown attractive because he is intelligent interesting and powerful

I find Mr. Brown excessively boring, not at all interesting and lacking in charisma

If you respect my view of Mr. Brown then I will respect yours.

crayola
08-Feb-09, 16:11
Kevin, you are wrong about so many things. This has been explained by percy and myself and I have offered to help yet still you persist in defending your position.

You say your pension fund is doing just fine. Are you sure? Where is it invested? If it's in the stock market it will almost certainly have dropped in value in the last year. If it's in property it'll also have dropped. If it's in a standard 'high' interest bearing bank account it won't be earning much. Some exceptions are old ISAs with rates guaranteed for several years and various forms of loans to the government, things like gilts and bonds.

I'm sure Percy knows what he's doing, he's probably moving investments from places that were good last year and bad this year to places that are a bit better now.

Last but not least, your summary of your views is not commensurate with what you posted earlier. :roll:

PS I wish your team the best of luck at Murrayfield this afternoon.

percy toboggan
08-Feb-09, 19:08
My pension fund is doing just fine.

I'm pleased to hear it Kevin, do I sense a local authority worker ?
An investment which has not suffered badly these last six months is a very rare beast indeed. Few people are immune.

I've not been successful in recent ventures on the stock market....and have lost a fair bit of money. These are only notional losses for now though and I have no intention of crystallising them by 'cashing in' my ISA. There are signs of a slight recovery, although it will continue to be something of a roller coaster for all of us.

This is probably a good time to buy some shares though as there appears to be value in the market. I'm toying with TOPPS tiles for instance...a glance at the figures suggests they are currently bargain basement material.

Current savings rates are so very poor that it would be a great time to realise our dream and buy a Scottish house...mortgage rates are low and money is historically cheap to borrow if one has a decent deposit....sadly (for us) Scottish house prices are not yet suffering to the same extent as English ones.

Were I sure of being in work consistently through the coming year I'd look toward Cumberland where there are bargains to be had...at least I could gaze upon Scotland, and view such a buy as a staging post. Sadly though, pat and mick beckon for a bit in the near future.

I'd never insult you Kevin...you did after all offer me a cup of tea once.
When I pointed out your self-admitted lack of awareness perhaps my blunt use of language was ill chosen. Sorry.

JAWS
08-Feb-09, 20:21
I take it no-one here watches Jimmy Carr?
He gets away with a lot more and you dont see his name all over the paper.
can anyone explain that to me?
Fair enough he's a comedian so maybe it's allowed more, but Top Gear is also entertainment.Much of what Clarkson says is also very much tongue
in cheek and not meant to be taken seriously.
He once claimed he drove at 80 MPH down the length one of the main roads in the middle of London. The anti-car brigade went crazy demanding he be hanged drawn and quartered. By all accounts the road is of such a nature that it would be absolutely impossible to do what he claimed but it had the effect he desired by showing how gullible some people are over their hobbyhorse.

To pretend that what he said about Brown was an insult to all people with a disability and also to the Scots in general is a little fanciful to say the least.
Brown has allowed his lack of sight in one eye to be used as an example of his ability to overcome setbacks, and by implication political setbacks, and has used his safe a steady “Son of the Manse” background in Scotland also to his political benefit. That being the case there can hardly be any complaint when those things are used to mock him.
As for him being an idiot, that will be proved right or wrong in the fullness of time. One thing is certain, during the period when things have gone drastically wrong with the economy, and during the lead up to it, he was very much the person in overall charge and as such cannot escape his share of the responsibility for it happening.

Personally I think the Australians have more to complain about when he said that their Prime Minister seemed scared to death. Not the most supportive thing to say about the Prime Minister of a foreign country but it seems the Aussies are far less susceptible than we are to having a touch of the vapors at every opportunity.

Julia
08-Feb-09, 21:08
[quote=crayola;497936]Gordon Brown on the other hand is a successful and powerful man. Come on girls, how many of of us can truly say we haven't been attracted to a man because of his success? /quote]

Eeewwwww yuck! Only if I had two eyes missing [lol]

I watched the vt and I wasn't offended in the slightest, Gordon can take it all in his stride particulary as he's used to the nimble pen of Martin Rowson

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa296/jmbudge/martinrowson.jpg