PDA

View Full Version : Homebase Jobs

stekar
09-Feb-06, 21:46
Following on from the Argos/Superdrug thread, well sort of.

Was wondering has anyone got a job there or know of anyone else who has? Just curious.

Phoebus_Apollo
09-Feb-06, 23:02
I went to the open day back in december filled in the forms spoke to a nice Homebase lady but never got any word back from them....

2little2late
09-Feb-06, 23:06
I went to the open day back in december filled in the forms spoke to a nice Homebase lady but never got any word back from them....

Same here. I also know of a few people who got interviews but haven't herad anything since.
Personally, I think it's disgusting the fact they don't even get back in touch to let you know either way. Totally ignorant! O.K, they had a few hundred applicants but so what, they should still have the decency and reply back.

rainbow
10-Feb-06, 00:11
Staff have been recruited for Homebase, and they still appear to be looking for more despite over 400 going to the open day. It seems strange who they have taken on, I have friends who I thought would be a dead cert, but never got a job. They had a 2 1/2 hour interview for a job that pays minimum wage, and they had to phone Homebase on Xmas Eve to see if they were successful despite being told they would hear a week before Xmas. They obviously do not care about the people who have taken the time and effort to apply for the jobs - talk about customer service lets hope they do not treat their customers like this.

2little2late
10-Feb-06, 00:15
And the advertisement states "Previous applicants need not apply". Who on earth are they looking for?

Alice in Blunderland
10-Feb-06, 00:31
I know of one guy who got up halfway through the interview and told the very nice young lady that he thought they were both wasting each others time as he wasn't going to leave one low paid job for another ,and so walked out the door.Another person I know had a lovely interview and never heard from them again. It does make you wonder when they cant even contact people who gave up their time to go for these interviews ! Not fair to leave these people wondering and waiting on the post or a phone call.

98elite
10-Feb-06, 12:08
I'm afraid this is the way that the majority of the large companies operate these days, you can be kept hanging on for months, on a brighter note Tesco and Asda are both in the UK top 5 companies for having happy employee's, get past their interview and you should be well on the way to happy employment with good terms conditions and training yee haa.

The Angel Of Death
10-Feb-06, 12:58
For the £5.05 going up to £5.07 (after 6 months) for shop floor workers i think there going to struggle

jjc
10-Feb-06, 13:37
It looks like the euphoria that the news of Homebase coming to Wick generated was a little short-lived then?

All of these quotes were taken from previous threads extolling the wonderment that is Homebase: :evil

“This has the potential to be the best thing to hit Wick for ages.”
“It’s really encouraging.”
“Something like this can only be good for the town […] This is just what is needed in Wick.”
“Its absolutely fantastic […] a proper boost for the whole community.”

Homebase didn't turn out to be a *gasp* profit-driven corporation after all, did it? Fancy that.

Ho hum… [lol]

The Angel Of Death
10-Feb-06, 13:42
I still think from a customer point of view its a good thing for wick more choice saving you having to go to inverness etc

From a working point of view there pay is rubbish i wonder if the same people down at inverness are making the same £5.05 an hour

jjc
10-Feb-06, 13:47
From a working point of view there pay is rubbish i wonder if the same people down at inverness are making the same £5.05 an hour So the money spent by the customers will travel south whilst the money paid to the employees is about as low as it can get. Doesn't that suggest that this sparkly new store will actually be a drain on the local economy?

I am shocked! Shocked, I say! [smirk]

munchkin
10-Feb-06, 14:38
i filled in a application form heard nothing back really annoys me you take the time to fill forms in and they cant even reply to you grappppp

LENSMAN
10-Feb-06, 18:57
[QUOTE=jjc]So the money spent by the customers will travel south whilst the money paid to the employees is about as low as it can get. Doesn't that suggest that this sparkly new store will actually be a drain on the local economy?

I often see this quoted but never understood it.
Surely any profits made by local shops will go into the bank so how does it benefit the local economy?

Be it owner, manager, employee, they will spend locally to live, just because an owner is local doesn't mean that they will spend more money locally.

jjc
10-Feb-06, 19:35
Surely any profits made by local shops will go into the bank so how does it benefit the local economy? Well, to quote the venerable Father Ted, the money will only be “resting in the account”.

When you put your money into your bank account you are still able withdraw it (either as cash or using a cheque, debit card or bank transfer) and spend it – it hasn’t ceased to be your money simply because the bank are holding it for you. The situation is exactly the same for the local shopkeeper who banks his or her takings. S/he is still able to withdraw their money and spend it.

Be it owner, manager, employee, they will spend locally to live, just because an owner is local doesn't mean that they will spend more money locally. Of course it does. :confused

The very fact that the local business-owner has to buy food/pay council tax/buy clothes/buy petrol/have their car serviced/have their hair cut/do everything else that requires money means that they are going to spend more money in Caithness than a Homebase shareholder who lives in London… especially if that shareholder is actually a pension fund for a London-based company.

DeePee
10-Feb-06, 21:03
The way it's working is that virtually all people who were successful in the interview are being offered minimum wage and only 20 hours per week. These people will be contracted to 20 hours, although overtime will be available (amount hasn't been confirmed). As soon as the initial rush of opening is over everyone will go back down to contracted hours. Homebase are basically offering no commitment to the staff that they are hiring. They're committing to part time staff across the board which is, quite frankly, disgusting. I got offered a 20 hour per week stint and have told them to stick it. Anywhere else in the country working for Homebase is considered to be a stop gap job and I'm sure that when the "newness" of it all wears off in Caithness the same rules will apply. It's a poorly stocked, overpriced store anyway. Do something sensible and support your local traders who have the experience, knowledge and customer service that the rest of the country is severely lacking in.

DrSzin
10-Feb-06, 21:15
I'm quite happy shopping at Homebase. I find their stuff quite satisfactory, and their staff are usually ok too. IMHO Homebase are better than several similar chains of my acquaintance. :confused:

Anyway, it appears that the good people of Wick will soon have a choice of where to buy their household and DIY goods. It'll be interesting to see whether they shop at poorly stocked, overpriced Homebase or at their local traders who have the experience, knowledge and customer service that the rest of the country is severely lacking in. Aye, we'll see all right. What are your odds scorrie?

DeePee
10-Feb-06, 21:35
I appreciate what you're saying DrSzin, and maybe my views on the whole subject of Homebase are slightly jaded after the interview process (can you sense the biterness??). My main point though was that I would trust the opinions and experience of a team of people who work for a small local business, who's jobs quite literally depended on sound advice and knowing how to treat customers and who have more than likely been in the business for a number of years, than those of a big store where staff turnover can be huge and people are using the job as nothing more than either a stepping stone or until another job comes up. Time will tell though and I'm sure that Homebase will do very well indeed, I just don't think I'll be using them myself, mainly because I don't like the colour green or the two words home and base.

Dali
10-Feb-06, 22:17
Not sure where you live DrSzin ,But all the homebases i have been in are well priced have stock most of the time .As Argos owns Homebase i find there prices to be fearly cheap.
The local shops here are out of stock alot and never have the thing you are looking for .

Is all this going to happen again when argos opens low pay few hours . No replys from interviews.?

tip top
10-Feb-06, 23:41
The very fact that the local business-owner has to buy food/pay council tax/buy clothes/buy petrol/have their car serviced/have their hair cut/do everything else that requires money means that they are going to spend more money in Caithness than a Homebase shareholder who lives in London… especially if that shareholder is actually a pension fund for a London-based company.

Pity the poor sods who are going to work at homebase if they are not going to be able to do any of the above!!!

Alli
11-Feb-06, 00:26
I have been told that some of the staff who are training in Inverness didn't get all their pay paid into their bank accounts last month and now this month the same thing has happened. If this is the way Homebase are going to treat people then I'm afraid the comapny will not be able to keep staff. Let's face it we all work to get our few pounds so we can live not exsist.
Homebase mucked a few people I know(including myself) about. One tells you yes you have a job then nothing comes out of it.
I e-mailed, wrote and telephoned their office in Stirling after my interviews and still to date have had no letter saying Don't bother!
I think things have worked out better for me as I have a job elsewhere now.

DrSzin
11-Feb-06, 01:56
Not sure where you live DrSzin ,But all the homebases i have been in are well priced have stock most of the time .As Argos owns Homebase i find there prices to be fearly cheap.
The local shops here are out of stock alot and never have the thing you are looking for .Hmm, I don't think I was being very clear there...

I was quoting DeePee's comments about prices and stocks at Homebase. Those are not my opinions. My experience of Homebase is merely as an occasional shopper. I usually find what I want there, it's not expensive, and the staff are usually ok. It's a good compromise between a B&Q superstore (for DIY stuff) and Ikea (for household rubbish stuff).

DeePee, I ignored your comments on Homebase's recruitment process, their far-from-generous rates of pay, and their part-time contracts: I apologise for all that. I fully understand your frustration with all three. But I also know what shopping in Caithness used to be like, and from what I read on here, my perhaps naive conclusion is that it hasn't improved a great deal in the years since I left.

Chillie
11-Feb-06, 02:11
The local shops here are out of stock alot and never have the thing you are looking for.

Well said the local shops sorry shop (DIY) has hardly any stock , never open when you need it, and over priced need i carry on.

stekar
11-Feb-06, 16:10
Mmmm an interesting debate. I'm sure that they advertised that they would be paying above the minimum wage, but it seems to be not the case.

As for the comments about people applying and not getting any response, isn't that generally the case anyway with most firms? We have lost count of the number of job applications that we have sent off from our household never to hear anything at all. I know every job gets a lot of applicants but it seems so rude and ignorant not to be acknowledged. Even a general notice for all applicants in the newspaper once the position has been filled would be nice.

jjc
11-Feb-06, 23:24
Tesco and Asda are both in the UK top 5 companies for having happy employee's, get past their interview and you should be well on the way to happy employment with good terms conditions and training yee haa. Just don't try and join the union... [para]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wear/4702236.stm

landmarker
12-Feb-06, 18:06
Unless you are prepared to play the corporate game and sing/suck up to the management tune you will not progress far within these organisations.

Call me sceptical but the great majority of people who work for these firms bear no true allegiance - why should they, given the derisory pay? It's just a job. An underpaid one at that. These days too many people - customers & employees are being screwed by big business....or was it ever thus?
...almost certainly.

Still, it is employment, and it's easy to take that for granted sometimes. Good luck to anyone who wants to work/has to work for these retail giants.

connieb19
12-Feb-06, 18:14
Whats wrong people with families taking the jobs? They will get the wages made up in working families tax credits anyway.. I can't understand the people in Wick,first they complain there are no jobs, then its typical..when the jobs are there, they complain that they're not good enough...there's no pleasing some people[mad] I'd quite happily rather do any job than sit and sponge off the state!!!Grrrr

DW
12-Feb-06, 19:39
the local shops ....... has hardly any stock , never open when you need it, and over priced need i carry on.

Aye, it is time that the local shops either put up or shut up. I am fed up going into shops etc in Caithness and suddenly becoming invisible because there is a haPpy little chat going on. And these aren't schoolkids I am talking about.
I went into a shop in Thurso yesterday, the counter is at the door and one person was behind the counter, one at the side, and two leaning on it; they were all having a right good chinwag.
I wandered round trying to give the impression I was looking for something - got ignored;
I walked round the counter - got ignored;
I found what I was looking for but it there was no price on it.
So I looked and looked and looked - got ignored.
Even as I left I - GOT IGNORED.

Hullo- local traders - get the finger out - act as if you actually want my money. So from now on I will buy my bulk wild bird food ONLINE!!!:o

landmarker
12-Feb-06, 19:54
Aye, it is time that the local shops either put up or shut up. I am fed up going into shops etc in Caithness and suddenly becoming invisible because there is a haPpy little chat going on. And these aren't schoolkids I am talking about.
I went into a shop in Thurso yesterday, the counter is at the door and one person was behind the counter, one at the side, and two leaning on it; they were all having a right good chinwag.
I wandered round trying to give the impression I was looking for something - got ignored;
I walked round the counter - got ignored;
I found what I was looking for but it there was no price on it.
So I looked and looked and looked - got ignored.
Even as I left I - GOT IGNORED.

Hullo- local traders - get the finger out - act as if you actually want my money. So from now on I will buy my bulk wild bird food ONLINE!!!:o

Why did you not interrupt their 'chinwag' and tell them you needed assistance or service? I always regard 'immediate' attention as mithering. I'd rather be left to browse then let the staff know when I need them. Maybe this is not the way in Thurso - I dunno.

landmarker
12-Feb-06, 19:59
Whats wrong people with families taking the jobs? They will get the wages made up in working families tax credits anyway.. I can't understand the people in Wick,first they complain there are no jobs, then its typical..when the jobs are there, they complain that they're not good enough...there's no pleasing some people[mad] I'd quite happily rather do any job than sit and sponge off the state!!!Grrrr

I had forgotten about 'tax credits' - never having has much in the way of assistance myself. Why though, should the taxpayer subsidise huge businesses so they can pay miserly wages, and get them topped up by the Government?

I wasn't having a go at anyone wanting these jobs, just the system which means they are not fairly rewarded. I'd have a job like this myself given the chance of a move north.

Good luck to anyone drawing tax credits - as Connie suggests at least they are working. I just get frustrated at big profit makers
short changing their workers.

Alice in Blunderland
12-Feb-06, 20:02
I cannot understand why these companies would want to pay the low wages ,surely if they are going to invest in training the staff then they should pay them a decent wage.Its as obvious as the nose on my face that the staff will just keep looking around until something better comes along.It will end up being a never ending circle....get staff train them pay them peanuts loose them...and so on even the management must realise this its not financially prudent to be always training staff who are just going to leave.

connieb19
12-Feb-06, 20:11
I cannot understand why these companies would want to pay the low wages ,surely if they are going to invest in training the staff then they should pay them a decent wage.Its as obvious as the nose on my face that the staff will just keep looking around until something better comes along.It will end up being a never ending circle....get staff train them pay them peanuts loose them...and so on even the management must realise this its not financially prudent to be always training staff who are just going to leave.I don't think the staff will always leave. Theres not many places round here that pay much better than the minimum wage anyway and if folk are claiming tax credits it dosn't make any difference to the amount of money thay get anyway...A jobs a job and people should be happy that there's going to be a few to offer. What next..all the complaints of the immigrants taking the jobs. They only take the jobs the lazy locals are unwilling to get out of their lazy pits in the morning and go and do...[mad]

ice box
12-Feb-06, 20:23
A jobs a job and i would take anthing to support my family and that even if its paying the mininum wage moneys money we can't live without it

DW
12-Feb-06, 20:41
Why did you not interrupt their 'chinwag' and tell them you needed assistance or service? I always regard 'immediate' attention as mithering. I'd rather be left to browse then let the staff know when I need them. Maybe this is not the way in Thurso - I dunno.

If I need to ask, then it is too late. A shop assistant is employed to assist shoppers.
If I don't require assistance then that is fine but I shouldn't have to go and ask.
The alleged beauty of small shops is personal attention and service - large mega stores exist so that I can browse freely.

angela5
13-Feb-06, 16:45
I don't think the staff will always leave. Theres not many places round here that pay much better than the minimum wage anyway and if folk are claiming tax credits it dosn't make any difference to the amount of money thay get anyway...A jobs a job and people should be happy that there's going to be a few to offer. What next..all the complaints of the immigrants taking the jobs. They only take the jobs the lazy locals are unwilling to get out of their lazy pits in the morning and go and do...[mad]

Connie very true, i mean a few hundred jobs are going to be created and now the big moan is i'm not working for the minimum wage, it's just another excuse not to work.
Yes immigrants will be in doing the job our lazy locals can't be bothered to do.
I must say i have meet a few polish up here working and they are really friendly i'd be happy to see them working in homebase with their friendly smiles beats the moany locals.

2little2late
13-Feb-06, 18:30
I have emailed Homebase to let them know that all those who applied for a job and haven't heard anything since are not very happy and to explain their actions. Will let you know the outcome should I get a reply.[disgust]

LENSMAN
13-Feb-06, 19:31
I personnally hate the "Can I help you routine" I'd rather be left alone to look then catch an assistants eye when I'm ready.

landmarker
13-Feb-06, 19:52
[QUOTE=gersa]Yes immigrants will be in doing the job our lazy locals can't be bothered to do.
QUOTE]

Do you regard English people as 'immigrants' or are you referring to other
groups from the EU states and beyond? Just wondering and highly interested.

neepnipper
13-Feb-06, 20:13
Someone I know has been offered a job in Homebase, she was meant to start on 3rd of March but due to building delays she's now starting on about the 20th March but they're still going to pay her from the 3rd, not a bad deal!

Phoebus_Apollo
28-Feb-06, 20:18
I have emailed Homebase to let them know that all those who applied for a job and haven't heard anything since are not very happy and to explain their actions. Will let you know the outcome should I get a reply.[disgust]

Did you ever get a reply...just curious...

2little2late
28-Feb-06, 23:20
Did you ever get a reply...just curious...

I have not heard a thing from them. Just goes to show how much they really care doesn't it? :mad: :mad:. I don't want to leave it there, perhaps a letter to the local paper or something.

connieb19
28-Feb-06, 23:26
Probably another rumor but i heard Homebase are now trying to back out !!:confused:

pie2000
28-Feb-06, 23:30
A friend of mine just got a reply . No job offer but at least a reply.

_awayoflife_
01-Mar-06, 01:00
at least they got a reply. i heard nothing,not a thing back, no letter or anything! i think its pretty terrible if they cant even tell you if you got the job or not. not impressed at all!

Phoebus_Apollo
01-Mar-06, 15:06
I think Homebase should have the decency to send a reply - even a macro generated generic "Unfortuatley you have not been successful..." type reply would have been better than leaving people in the dark.