PDA

View Full Version : Selling House - Estate Agents?

beth210486
05-Feb-09, 22:05
Hi All,

Just seeking some recommendations on estate agents? We are looking to put our house on the market in the next few weeks (kind of bad time, i know. But got to be done im affraid! :confused) Just wondering if anyone can recommend a good estate agent?

Anyone who could let us know their experiences, rates they were charged by the estate agent, how quickly they soild your house, how you felt about their advertising, how easy they were to deal with, communications etc etc... Would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Boss
06-Feb-09, 11:02
Hi All,

Just seeking some recommendations on estate agents? We are looking to put our house on the market in the next few weeks (kind of bad time, i know. But got to be done im affraid! :confused) Just wondering if anyone can recommend a good estate agent?

Anyone who could let us know their experiences, rates they were charged by the estate agent, how quickly they soild your house, how you felt about their advertising, how easy they were to deal with, communications etc etc... Would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Georgesons of Wick and Thurso,
They are easy to communicate with a fast no nonsense approach and their rates were reasonable,
Their website is updated regularly, is easy to navigate and with in depth knowledge of housing in the North.
The level of service we received was first class, a smooth transaction from start to finish.
Good Luck!!

poppett
06-Feb-09, 11:20
I second that, Boss. Georgesons have a good reputation and their website is brilliant. Nice to have an insight of the houses before a viewing for real. Saves a lot of time when so often houses sound right, but are nothing like the advert in the paper. Camera doesn`t lie.

skinnydog
06-Feb-09, 14:24
To save yourself a pile of cash you should try selling it yourself first. Depends on your time scales of course but a few adverts here and there and you just never know. Then consult a solicitor when you need to. Just a suggestion.

rockchick
06-Feb-09, 19:31
Why not try advertising it here, on Caithness.org? It doesn't cost a thing, and who knows? You may save the agents' fee!

candy
06-Feb-09, 19:44
Put it on the org ! phone round all estate agents and ask for a set price with no hidden extras ! I am personally using one from south, on the ball and over £300 cheaper :eek:

good luck with the sale of your house

chef4celebrations
06-Feb-09, 20:02
hi
well i bought my house last year and am in the process of selling another with Drever and Heddle and found them to be very reasonable and approachable, with lots of time for the customer and they listen to what you want, which i found invaluable and time saving

catran
06-Feb-09, 21:30
Try richard who lives in watten. His website visit our scotland. He will put for sale houses on

Gizmo
06-Feb-09, 21:34
What ever you do, stay away from "Highland Law Practice", he told me a 'letter of comfort' for an Oil Tank with no building warrant could not be obtained from the Highland Council anymore, so my house sale fell through, then at the second attempt at selling he tells me the council 'Can' supply a 'letter of comfort' and the sale goes through, yet he still charged me £600 for the failed sale which failed because of bad advice from him, it also stated in the sale paperwork that the sale funds were to be transfered electronicaly to their bank account and then on to my bank account, but on the transaction day they received the sale funds by cheque from the buyer and sat on my money for a week until things cleared at the bank.

cjb
06-Feb-09, 21:52
Be careful with any valuation from Georgesons.
They suggested my last house go on the market for £140-£150,000 and would not vary from this when I queried it.
So I used Pollards instead as I was sure this was too low and got well over £200,000 (marketed at offers £185,000) within 3 months and had no problems.
Maybe this was a one off, but make sure you check around them all. That"s a lot of money to lose if it happened again!
Good Luck with the sale...you only need to find one buyer.:D

marlyn
07-Feb-09, 16:56
We have just put our house on the market this week and we have used Drever and Heddle, no idea how fast it will sell, but that is not really their fault at the moment, but can only say that up to date the service we have received from Jane Mackay has been first class.

Flaming home report slows it all down a bit to start with though!

Twixy
07-Feb-09, 17:43
I too have my house on the market with Drever and Heddle and Jane is excellent. She keeps in touch be E-Mail letting us know if there have been any enquiries and if there has been a lot of interest on the website with people downloding the particulars etc. :)

Invisible
07-Feb-09, 19:47
My opinion would be biased as I work for HLP. But if you come to us you will keep me in a job lol.

majic
10-Feb-09, 00:53
we went with the place in tain cormack and mackenzie ask for nigel jones he is brill sold with in about 3 weeks we use him for everything now

chamb
10-Feb-09, 11:58
We have had our house for sale with Young, Robertson & Co they are good, efficient, aint the cheapest but then you get what u pay for. At the time we changed our mind as we decided we were only moving to gain one room and spending a heap more to gain it.

We are about to sell again and its them we are going to use. Started the packing already!!

majic
14-Feb-09, 14:43
we went young and rob we had our house on with them for a year with no viewings at all also next door to us are with georgesons nothing for 3 months

auk
14-Feb-09, 21:09
Georgesons and Drever and Heddle both have excellent websites for advertising the interior of your property as do Pollards Mortgage shop whereas Young and Robertsons web based advertising is very poor and i
would not recommend them at all.