PDA

View Full Version : Cold & Flu Capsules

Julia
05-Feb-09, 22:01
I've just been up to Tesco to buy some MAX cold & flu capsules, having compared the top brands, they all have exactly the same ingredients:-

500mg Paracetamol
6.1mg Phenylephrine hydrochloride
25mg Caffeine per capsule

Some variations had 300mg paracetamol and 5mg phenylephrine but these were not of the 'max' type.

Paracetamol costs just pennies, Lemsip, Beechams, Sudafed and the like are making a fortune!!

I bought the Tesco own brand capsules at a third of the price.

This is obvious stuff really and probably not 'news' to anyone but it still annoys me [disgust]

teenybash
05-Feb-09, 22:27
I remember watching a tv documentary about the over the counter rip offs for the same remedy but given a good sounding name that appeals to those who think they are 'up market.'......

ShelleyCowie
05-Feb-09, 22:32
I now refuse to buy them things! I rely on Day/Night nurse! Its the only cold/flu thing that i think works!! It stops my nose running through the night so i get a good sleep!!

And i get about 1-2 colds a month! :roll: Closely followed by chest infections! Sick of them!!! [evil]

But day/night nurse is the best thing for me!!

Kodiak
05-Feb-09, 22:33
Yes indeed there are lots of Medicines that you can buy over the counter which if you buy a Branded name you will pay a lot more for than a Generic Variety.

For example if you have Diarrhoea just go to a Chemist and ask for a Packet of Loperamide. This is exactly them same as as any branded Medcine as does exacly the same but is only a fraction of the cost.

Or if you want Disprin, buy Soluble Asprin instead, it is a lot cheaper.

The list goes on and on but if you are unsure just ask the chemist and they will advise you if there is a Cheaper Generic medicine available to the Branded one you want.

router
05-Feb-09, 22:37
The prices they charge for the cold and flu remedies is mad.Prefer the natural way my elders used.

freshly squeezed lemon juice
honey or sugar for sweetness
hot water.

gives plenty of vit c which is a good way of perking up the system when feeling flat, and its cheaper.

beechams but a simpler version.

Sage
05-Feb-09, 23:05
If you're not going the alternative route, I'd suggest asking the pharmacist for the generic. Its always cheaper...people just go for the names and the stuff they see on adverts. You can save a fortune!

I personally dont like to see medicines sold in supermarkets..there is no advice and unless you are really sure of what you need you can buy totally the wrong stuff which wont help at all.

poppett
05-Feb-09, 23:33
Paracetamol taken with water then followed by a hot drink of coffee or tea will have the same effect as the flu remedies.

Kevin Milkins
05-Feb-09, 23:42
I have never had a look on the labels to see whats in these remedies, so thanks for pointing that out Julia.

A9RUNNER
06-Feb-09, 00:20
A cup of tea with a spoonfull of honey stirred into it does the job just before bed. Then through the day anything with caffeine! Tea coffee red bull etc. A good hot curry helps decongest.

ShelleyCowie
06-Feb-09, 11:32
A hot toddy? Does anyone still have them? I remember the first time my mum gave me one o those....it cudna o worked better!! [lol]

A9RUNNER
06-Feb-09, 13:44
I am not a whisky drinker as such but I have been known to make myself drink a hot toddy! It does work very well.