PDA

View Full Version : John o groat journal

Macwull
05-Feb-09, 19:36
Heard today that the Owners of the JOG Journal are to centralise some posts to inverness. I believe staff are being offered transfers but if not its redundancy.

Think we should all boycott the paper until they see sense and keep these jobs locally!!!

The Pepsi Challenge
05-Feb-09, 20:00
Like a boycott is going to help. Get a grip. Every paper in the land is cutting back because the have to, and the JOG is no different.

Beat Bug
05-Feb-09, 20:03
All local papers should be produced locally! Because that's what they are for! Local news and information for local people!!

joxville
05-Feb-09, 20:04
Why not have the people in Inverness relocate to Caithness? After all, it is the John O'Groat Journal, not the Inverness Journal.

davie
05-Feb-09, 20:50
I have personally boycotted the Groat since the price went up to 73p. Thats about tuppence for the news element and 71p for a motor advertising supplement that goes straight in the (blue ! ) bin.

oldchemist
05-Feb-09, 21:20
I think it is a bit too late for a boycott. Didn't they transfer the printing operation south a few years back? That was the thin end of this particular wedge.

dirdyweeker
05-Feb-09, 21:22
I think it is a bit too late for a boycott. Didn't they transfer the printing operation south a few years back? That was the thin end of this particular wedge.

Is it not printed in Golspie?
Still employ some staff in Wick but unsure what their jobs entail.

emszxr
05-Feb-09, 21:23

yes , its made in dingwall now and has been for at least 8 years

dirdyweeker
05-Feb-09, 21:25
Knew it was somewhere 'south' just got the wrong place then!

camor
05-Feb-09, 21:26
Couldn't care less about The Groat, They printed several letters last year attacking me and others locally. When asked why they were printed without first checking the authenticity of the information, they closed any further correspondance therefore stopping our right to reply. It seems they will print letters from some but not from others, not a balanced way to operate.

Mazda
05-Feb-09, 22:56
Well if they wish to save money thet could Do away with the Caithness Courier and just give us a decent Groat on a Friday.
With only one paper there would be alot more to put in it than the rubbish we have seen of late.
In orkney they can Produce a Good sized paper with plenty in it once a week so perhaps NOSN should look at doing the same.

Kevin Milkins
06-Feb-09, 00:01
When I lived in South Wales our local paper was the Gwent Gazette, When we lived in Shropshire it was the Bridgnorth Journal, and now that we live in Wick we get our weekly fix of the JOG. Journal

I call it a fix because it matters not what paper, or where we have lived, we look foward to our weekly copy and when we have had a read through it we say " another load of rubbish, I am going to stop buying that paper."lol

You can bet the week that you don't get one somthing interesting happens and every shop in town has just sold the last copy.:~(

I can't imagine production of a local news paper is ever going to make anyone rich and the way foward (as they see it) to be competitive is to cut costs.

buddyrich
06-Feb-09, 00:08
It is a real shame if yet more people are going to be out of work.

The local papers are almost like a Victorian folly, such as the monument thing on top of the hill at Alness-they have no real function but the locals find them amusing.

The Pepsi Challenge
06-Feb-09, 01:58
It's rubbish. It's overpriced. There's nothing but trock in it. It's biased.

Yeah, heard it all before, only a million times. But everyone still reads it.

Personally, I don't see how they can justify two papers a week; one comprehensive paper a week would be suffice, keeping those who genuinely enjoy it for news and those who are just plain nosey, reasonably happy.

And here's a tip for the editorial: instead of writing copy to be put onto the printed page, why not write copy that is purely for online content? It would certainly save a helluva lot of money in printing costs. As for news, I find that Caithness.org is a better, reliable, yet never totally accurate news source (I'll have that £10 now, please, Bill). Maybe some of the mods could start writing some Features, too? And with technology being the way it is today, those in receipt of a digital camera and a laptop (fortunate enough to be onsite at news stories as they happen/ have happened) could photo/ email their copy into Caithness.org and have it online a lot more quickly than the Groat. Every time I visit the Groat's website I keep having to check the date on my calendar. Just don't get me started on that east-coast bias :)

anneoctober
06-Feb-09, 12:01
Well if they wish to save money thet could Do away with the Caithness Courier and just give us a decent Groat on a Friday.
With only one paper there would be alot more to put in it than the rubbish we have seen of late.
In orkney they can Produce a Good sized paper with plenty in it once a week so perhaps NOSN should look at doing the same.
actually they have the "Orcadian" and "Orkney Today" , they both seem to do ok , mostly cover the same stories, but OT seems to be written with the younger generation in mind. Like both papers and love Orkney. Caithness is home though, so we need to keep OUR news homegrown and local, - it does n't matter if it's not everyone's cup of tea, it's tradition and nothing wrong in that! :)

Valerie Campbell
06-Feb-09, 15:47
I think it would be better to have just the one weekly paper, say on a Thursday. You'd have all the week's news, gossip, views and features to keep you going over the weekend. But I have to agree with Pepsi on the fact that the Org is probably the best place for up-to-date news and gossip. Maybe we should begin our own E-Paper Forum!!!

Harray
06-Feb-09, 18:08
2 papers a week equal two lots of advertising revenue. That is why NOSN keep the two titles running

hotrod4
06-Feb-09, 21:29
I could never boycott the groat, Where else I am going to get my fix of "Sherrif court"!!![lol]

Gizmo
06-Feb-09, 21:44
I could never boycott the groat, Where else I am going to get my fix of "Sherrif court"!!![lol]

Lets face it now, that's the ONLY reason that most of us buy it :lol:

butterfly
06-Feb-09, 23:41
[quote=Mazda;497397] Do away with the Caithness Courier and just give us a decent Groat on a Friday.

thats a better idea:Razz