PDA

View Full Version : Cars on High Street, Wick

Invisible
05-Feb-09, 17:22
As i work in the high street i often hear or sometimes feel the cars going through the High Street. They go at some speed im sure its more than the 15mph (think its 15 for this area)
I would say luckily now due to this economic downturn there are less people on the street, but thats no constellation when you could easily get knocked down. There is a persistant offender (I wont name and shame).
theres another one just gone as im writing this. rant over. im going back to work

AfternoonDelight
05-Feb-09, 17:29
I saw an Orion doing it the other day, but that's no constellation either...

Venture
05-Feb-09, 17:34
I saw an Orion doing it the other day, but that's no constellation either...

Consolation prize for you Afternoon Delight for that one.:lol:

AfternoonDelight
05-Feb-09, 17:39
Thank you. :cool:

Kevin Milkins
05-Feb-09, 17:51
Consolation prize for you Afternoon Delight for that one.:lol:

And the star prize goes to///////////////////lol

We went to Wetherspoons last week and Mrs M asked why I did not park outside, (we had parked on the old cattle market site).

I have never had a look at the rules and regulations regarding driving through or parking in the high street, however I think there is more than ample free parking in easy walking distance of the high street.

It does improve the quality of the market square area when there is little or no traffic about and it helps people that need that space to unload and make deliverys etc, and of course makes life easier for the disabled.

Julia
05-Feb-09, 18:13
As i work in the high street i often hear or sometimes feel the cars going through the High Street. They go at some speed im sure its more than the 15mph (think its 15 for this area)
I would say luckily now due to this economic downturn there are less people on the street, but thats no constellation when you could easily get knocked down. There is a persistant offender (I wont name and shame).
theres another one just gone as im writing this. rant over. im going back to work

Do you mean the pedestrian precinct? I'm sure the speed limit is only 5mph. Isn't a precint restricted to disabled badge holders, delivery vehicles or loading/unloading?

rfr10
05-Feb-09, 18:52
Do you mean the pedestrian precinct? I'm sure the holders, delivery vehicles or loading/unloading?

Yes it is restricted to access or loading only so for example lorries delivering, I think parking to access Wetherspoons would be allowed but many cars (not stating any in particular ;)!!) use it as a short cut for getting back onto the High Street and often skip the traffic lights when they can see there are no cars coming. Only way to enforce this really would be if the CCTV camera on the corner was aimed in that direction to catch people like this. Not sure which direction the camera usually faces.

I didn't know there was a speed limit through the precinct. Is there a sign? I've never driven through there before so wouldn't know but I suppose it's common sense not to go speeding through this area.

WickLad08
06-Feb-09, 06:42
There are no different speed limits for high street or pedestrian precint. Built up area 30mph.

DeHaviLand
06-Feb-09, 10:24
There are no different speed limits for high street or pedestrian precint. Built up area 30mph.

Absolute rubbish. How then do you explain the fact that we have 20mph zones around schools? Go check out the entrance to the pedestrianised area, at the bottom of Shore Lane, and tell us all what it says there. :roll:

WickLad08
06-Feb-09, 14:51
there is no change in stated speed limit

rfr10
06-Feb-09, 16:48
there is no change in stated speed limit

Just what I thought too. All that is on the sign is the "no motorists- except for access" and the one way arrown sign I think. Can't remember off the top of my head. That's why it says except for access. Vehicles following this rule and using it for access only is unlikely to be able to get up to 30mph anyway before they have to stop again. The police should sit there sometimes waiting to catch anyone disobeying these rules or at least focus the CCTV in on the area.