PDA

View Full Version : Homeopathic alternative query.

porshiepoo
05-Feb-09, 00:42
This is actually for my German Shepherd boy who has had a skin condition for ages and I'm now looking at alternative treatments to antibiotics.
He was finally diagnosed with a deep seated infection last year after a skin scraping was taken. He has the classic GSD symptoms of itching at the top of his rump to the point where there was no fur left and the skin was becoming thickened and raised.
He was prescribed Cephalexin by the vet and the first course went well, the hair began to grow back and he stopped itching it immediately. However the subsequent courses don't seemed to have helped much at all except he has stopped itching the area. The area has lost its hair again but the red areas are not as aggressive looking, however it certainly appears to me that the antibiotics have lost their effect - as is quite common with bacterial infections. His underbelly near his hip now appears to being going bald - no chewing or reddened areas mind - and the skin appears to be Black in these areas.

I'm now looking at alternative treatments for this as I hate the thought of putting all these Toxins into a dog that obviously has some kind of Immune system imbalance to have this problem in the first place.

Does anyone know a UK supplier of Natural Remedy Seaweed Mineral Food? Or know of a similar supplement?

Does anyone know of or have experience of a Natural Immune System Supplement?

What is the doseage for using Garlic as a flea repellent on GSD's & Great Danes? Is Garlic a good idea? I've heard some say it's brilliant and others say it's toxic. Are there other effective homeopathic treatments?

Does anyone have any experience with the useage of Colloidal Silver?

Finally, are there any other supplements you have tried for these same or similar problems? I have, and still am, checking the Net but there's such a plethora of information and opinions that after 2 days research I'm still no nearer to an answer or a path to take.

Cheers

teenybash
05-Feb-09, 13:18
Poor doggy what a frustration for him, the itch scratch itch cycle.
To stop the itching you could try applying organic cider apple vinegar which will take care of external bacteria and kill the itch. This you can use as many times throughout the day as needed. You can also get cider vinegar in tablet form to give him as he might not like the vinegar mixed with his foord, though you could try....this would work on him internally altering the ph level of his system, which maybe all that is needed.
Cider vinegar also improves coat and reduces teeth tarter and keeps gums in good order.....It is a multi healer and is equally safe for humans as well as all types of animals............but it has to be organic. Worth a try.

boreray
06-Feb-09, 19:11
I have a friend who is a homeopathic vet. Will email her and see what remedies she suggests if that would help.

crustyroll
06-Feb-09, 23:54
This is actually for my German Shepherd boy who has had a skin condition for ages and I'm now looking at alternative treatments to antibiotics.

Have a look at this site and see what you think?

http://www.aromesse.com/ Dermacton Cream and spray

I heard about the stuff on Lab Forums and have just ordered some today for one of mine that itches now and again. The cream will definately be handy to have around for all the scrapes and grazes they seem to get running through the bushes!

Does anyone know a UK supplier of Natural Remedy Seaweed Mineral Food? Or know of a similar supplement?

No I dont unfortunately, but I do know Dorwest Herbs do a kelp seaweed tablet and various other herbal and licensed medicines for animals. I also get garlic tablets from them to give to the dogs for fleas and general health. To be hones the thought of trying to work out what is the right doseage of garlic when you use human ones is too much for my brain to handle. The instructions from Dorwest Herbs are very clear and you don't have to worry that the dogs won't take them as all mine will eat them out of my hand. I would highly recommend looking at their site and their service is excellent and delivery is fast usually within 2 days.

Does anyone know of or have experience of a Natural Immune System Supplement?

I recently heard about K9 Immune Factor but I have no idea how good it is but anything is worth a try and hopefully saves putting loads more toxins into your poor dogs system.

porshiepoo
07-Feb-09, 13:13
Many thanks for those replies.

I've ordered some Colloidal Silver and once I've had a chance to see if it works I'll then move on to the K9 Immune Factor supplements (thanks Crustyroll).

Either way I'm determined to figure this out without filling the dog with more Toxins and not actually dealing with the underlying cause.

porshiepoo
07-Feb-09, 13:16
I have a friend who is a homeopathic vet. Will email her and see what remedies she suggests if that would help.

Many thanks that would be great. I'm guessing this road is going to be very long and I'll find out a load of things that don't work before finding the ones that do.