PDA

View Full Version : Where were you?

David from Stockport
05-Feb-09, 00:23
They say you always remember where you where when certain things happen ,so who remembers what ? what will always stick with you?

Im 45

Moon landing 1969 -was in London at my grans and my parents woke me
up to come down stairs to watch on tv

Elvis died 1977 - on holiday at Pontins , either Southport or Prestatyn
cannot remember which

Diana died - Just finished a late shift and turned on tv to wind
down and just saw first reports of a car crash
sit and watched for hours

9/11 - on holiday in Spain and just saw a sky tv report
whilst passing a bar and was transfixed just sat
down and watched it unfold as it happened with
my girlfriend at the time moaning none stop about
wanting to go to Mijhas that day (she could just
not see why I wanted to watch tv ! -end of that
relationship!!

What do you guys remember ,what sticks in your mind?

ShelleyCowie
05-Feb-09, 00:28
They say you always remember where you where when certain things happen ,so who remembers what ? what will always stick with you?

Im 45

cannot remember which

relationship!!

Moon landing 1969 - Not Born yet

Elvis died 1977 - Not Born yet

Diana died - Dont really remember it that well. Was in school though.

9/11 - 4th year high school. Teacher turned the tv on after hearing about it.

So i dont remember much because i wasnt born! :confused

Gizmo
05-Feb-09, 00:28
Diana died - In ma hoose

9/11 - In ma work van pulling up outside ma work

Dinner tonight - In ma kitchen, Haggis Neeps & Tatties ;)

ShelleyCowie
05-Feb-09, 00:29
Diana died - In ma hoose

9/11 - In ma work van pulling up outside ma work

Dinner tonight - In ma kitchen, Haggis Neeps & Tatties ;)

Blugh! Haggis...neeps...blugh!

Dont mind tatties tho! lol!

I remember my dinner tonight! 2 slices of wholemeal toast! ;)

Gizmo
05-Feb-09, 00:35
Diana died - Dont really remember it that well. Was in school though.

Eh...31st August 1997 was a Sunday, are they that keen on School up your side o the county? :lol:

Anne x
05-Feb-09, 00:37

Im 45

cannot remember which

relationship!!

Uppermost

Kennedy
Assasination Friday night was at a extra and much later Dancing class in the school Gym

Moon landing watching it in complete Awe

Elvis Death, Pregnant with my only child and lumbering on a sofa 9 weeks to go

Diana ,death waking up with a hangover after a party and thinking what are they actually speaking about

9/11 Due to fly to Vancouver on 14/11 and thinking what is this ? was on reception duty in a Thurso hotel and Duty manager and I watched the unfolding events in a empty lounge bar in silence

Other things that have had me held in time Nelson Mandela release the Berlin Wall coming down many Scottish things Longhope lifeboat tragedy
the list goes on

Goldie
1969 - Like you - I was near London at home - my mum and dad got me up to watch it too.

1977 - Elvis died - again at home - I remember thinking how devestated my friend would be - she idolised him.

1997 - Diana - At home in Northumberland - like you sat and watched for hours - thinking they must have it wrong - I also remember the radio station - all the DJs came off air and the played back to back tributes to Diana all day.

9/11 - Living in Lincoln at the time - just feeling so sickened and sad - watched the news just in disbeilf - being surrounded by RAF stations the air bases were very busy that day - all on red alert.

WOW - good, bad, happy and sad - how quick time goes by.

Cheers

ShelleyCowie
Eh...31st August 1997 was a Sunday, are they that keen on School up your side o the county? :lol:

Oh right.....a Sunday....then maybe i was at Sunday school???! ;)

Considering i would have been 9 years old!!

joxville
05-Feb-09, 00:39
Moon landing-Aged 4, Dad got me out of bed to watch it.
Elvis_Was in bed again, had school next day.
Diana-Had got up at 6am-ish to travel to Inverness, put on telly while having brekkie.
9/11-Just in from work, had put on telly and it was about first tower being hit. Then saw second one being hit live on Larry King Show.

butterfly
05-Feb-09, 01:07
moon landing-heard it on tea time news.elvis-heard it on way home from youth club.diana-hubby came home from work and woke me up and then we stayed up and watched it all on tv,we just couldnt believe it when the news reader said she was dead.9/11-was sitting on my back doorstep because it was a sunny morning and my neighbour came out and told me to go in and turn tv on

Metalattakk
05-Feb-09, 01:11
Moon landing 1969 - I was too young - not even two.

Elvis died 1977 - I mind my Mother crying. I couldn't understand why she would cry over someone she didn't know dying. Coops and Jinky have set me straight on that one though. Hero worship is a powerful thing, at times.

Jock Stein 1985 - Watched it at home, and the feeling of dread that came ove me as the game ended - even though we had just drawn a crucial World Cup qualifier that saw us progress to the '86 World Cup Finals - was palpable. Then 5 or 10 minutes after the final whistle, the news came through. :(

The Scotland team, and the journalistic pack, headed back that night in sombre and lasting shock, on a charter flight from Cardiff.

At Edinburgh airport, after all the other luggage had been claimed, a small holdall was left on the conveyor. Inside was a book, a bottle of white wine, jars of pills and a letter identifying the forlorn item as belonging to J Stein Esq.

Only then, to the few left from the plane, did it truly sink in that Jock had gone. Diana died - Watched the news come in on Sky. Car crash in Paris, Diana hospitalised with a broken arm. Went to bed. Quite surprised in the morning when the wife informs me that she died. "How can you die from a broken arm?" I replied.

9/11 - Was working in the pub. Went down to the cellar after the lunch rush to restock, and came back up to find the whole pub - boss, boss' wife, regulars et al, glued to something happening on the TV. At first I thought it was some crappy B-movie but it soon became clear. Most memorable, well unforgettable, moment was seeing people jumping out of the top floors of the WTC. They were literally jumping for their life. To certain death.

Julia
05-Feb-09, 01:44
Moon landing (if it really did happen but that's another thread) - I was 2 weeks old

Elvis - heard it on the radio while at home

Diana - on holiday in blackpool

start of Gulf war - lying in bed watching news in total shock

7/7 london bombings - at work and won't forget that date as it's my birthday

Kevin Milkins
05-Feb-09, 01:49
Moon landing 1969
I was also at my Grans house and I remembered going outside and looking up to the sky with great expectations.

Elvis died 1977.
I was on a agricultural college course in Usk and remember setting my radio clock alarm to get up to milk the cows and when it went off the news started with " the king has died, long live the king"

Death of Diana
I was doing continental shifts and went to work for a Sunday 6am start and the night shift lads were all talking about in the locker room, by ten past six I was convinced she had been bumped off. :confused.

9/11
I had been out fishing all day and had not heared anything about it, and my son rang me to discuss it with me and I had no idea what he was on about untill I turned the telly on,:eek: it did not look real.

Aaldtimer
05-Feb-09, 03:25
Friday, 22nd November 1963, my 17th birthday, the day JFK was assassinated.
What a hangover I had the next day![disgust]

JAWS
05-Feb-09, 04:56
29 May 1968 - Manchester United won the European Cup

Visiting the Maternity Ward at the local hospital in Manchester. My first son had been born a few days earlier and you could tell all us new fathers were being very good and patiently (I lie) wishing for the bell to go for the end of visiting. When it went there was a discrete mad rush for the door.

I later found out from my ex that as soon as the last father disappeared off the Ward there was a big sigh of relief and all the new mums who were up and about made a mad dash for the TV Room where the general feeling was, “Thank God he’s gone!” They couldn't wait to get rid of us either.

Women and their football, and you talk about us men? [lol]

brokencross
05-Feb-09, 08:06
Kennedy assasination - our living room in Macclesfield, TV programmes were stopped and sombre music played

England World Cup win - in a pub, (when kids weren't allowed in pubs) in Saltburn N. Yorks, 2 Scots, my dad and me amongst a hoarde of English fans

Moon landing - At my dads friends house Wilmslow, slept on the living room floor

Elvis - my auntys kitchen in Wick, was up there on holiday and had just got back there after a night out. Tony Prince on Radio Luxemburg 208 broke the news, couldn't believe it

Lockerbie bombing - had just got back in to home in Boro and happened to put news on as first reports came in.

Diana - my own house, had been out for a meal was just unwinding ready for bed; shouted up to my wife "Dody is dead" and her reply "Who in the hell is Dody?"

9/11 - at home in the Boro, was having a tidy up listening to the radio when heard first reports, then TV on BBC News 24 flicking to Sky news, phoned all sorts of folks telling them to get to a TV.

flash
05-Feb-09, 09:36
The moon landing - I was too young, not quite 2

Elvis - My mum told me on the way to school

Lockerbie bombing - I had just joined the forces, and was heading up the road for christmass leave. I stopped off at a mates house in Manchester overnight on the razz. Took me a couple of days to get home due to trains being diverted or cancelled.

Berlin Wall - Night shift on one of her majestys air bases, the sergeant called us all in to watch the wall come down on live telly (unusual to have anything on the telly at that time of night)(even more unusual for that old git to let us into his office)

1st Gulf war - night shift again, same sergeant let us in again to watch the shock and awe footage, then promptly kicked us back out to start our war prep.

Diana - In Orkney by now, Had a major party that night and didn't get to bed until after 6 in the morning. Mrs Flash woke me up a few hours later to tidy up and I thought she was taking the p***.

9/11 - I took a meal break at home, was watching the telly just after the first plane hit. I took the rest of the day off to watch the event unfold.

joxville
05-Feb-09, 10:30
I remember my dinner tonight! 2 slices of wholemeal toast! ;)

Dear God woman, you need more sustenance than that. How's that meant to keep you going?

Lolabelle
05-Feb-09, 10:59

Im 45 Im 43

In my jammies on the lounge room floor

cannot remember which
Asleep I think at home in Glenfield NSW Aust

I had come home from work and was told by my stepdaughter we were totally in shock and I got quite teary

relationship!!
Asleep in my bed, and my neighbour rang to tell me I watched telly all day after that
It was truly horrific to think that had happened made me realise that it's a pretty awful world

crashbandicoot1979
05-Feb-09, 11:23
Im 29

Moon landing 1969 - not born

Elvis died 1977 - not born

Diana died - was 17, working as a part time waitress at weekends and was doing breakfasts that day. Radio alarm woke me just before 6, radio 1 was playing really weird music and there was no chat so I knew something had happened. Waited until news at 6, announcer said "Buckingham Palace have confirmed the news that..." and I immediately assumed the Queen mother had died. I was stunned when they went on to say "...Princess Diana is dead.". I'm not that fussed about the royals but my mum is so I woke her up. She always says her first memory of tha day is me shaking her and saying "get up and put the telly on."

9/11 - heard about first plane on radio in the morning, this was when they assumed it was a freak accident. Went to work and never heard any more about it until mid afternoon and I went to see my friend who worked as a bar maid. The bar was empty and we had the music channel on the TV until a regular came in and asked for the news channel to get an update on what was going on in America. It was then that I realised the full scale of what had happened.

ShelleyCowie
05-Feb-09, 11:27
Dear God woman, you need more sustenance than that. How's that meant to keep you going?

haha thats usually all i ever eat is toast! I live off the stuff...breakfast - toast. Lunch - Toast. Dinner - Toast. Supper - Toast! :D

I dont mind cooking. I do sometimes eat dinner. Just depends if i feel that hungry to eat a meal! Im awfully weird! ;)

Fluff
05-Feb-09, 13:00
Princess Diana dying, was in bed and my parents woke me up to come and see the news.

9/11 - I was in Inverness travel inn as I had an appointment that day at the hospital. Turned on the news when we woke up and could not believe it, it was in the early stages, people jumping from the buildings. I remember thinking it will be ok, they will get rescued. When we got back the buildings had collapsed.

Dunblane - I was still in high school. Went down the street at lunchtime and had to pick up a prescription, heard to women talking about it (I didn't know what had happened at this point) After lunch we in class the teacher told us about what had happened, we just sat discussing it all afternoon.

scottygirl
05-Feb-09, 17:33
Lockerbie, I was alone at home and it came on tv. Parents wondered what on earth I was talking about when they came in from a party when I talked about a plane crashing into a village

Diana, I was working offshore and usually turned on music when i got out of bed but for some reason I turned on the News to see she had died.

9/11, I was in my kitchen at home making curry for my overdue pregnant sis-in-law and listening to MFR. Couldn't bring myself to put the tv on, listening was bad enough.

Dunblane, driving home from Aberdeen and hearing it unfold over the half hourly radio bullitens. Shocking stuff.

Strangly enough, for an oil worker, I don't remember the Piper Alpha happening, I was still at school then though......

trix
05-Feb-09, 17:47
i hed choost come in fie a party when diana hed her accident, da ken fit made me put 'e telly on but when i did it hed choost happened, she was still alive.

wis lyin in ma beid when 'e twin tooers went doon, i put 'e telly on an then went runnin doon til tell ma mither.
til tell ye 'e truth i didna really ken fit 'e twin tooers wis....but when ma mam went, 'oh no' in 'e wie that she did....i kent it wisna guid news lek.

AfternoonDelight
05-Feb-09, 17:48
Diana died - in ma hoose

How did you explain that one? :(

Sage
05-Feb-09, 18:01
Elvis died 1977 - sitting in the living room at my "boyfriends" house after school (I was 8) sat and watched the news with all the candles and flowers everywhere.

Lennon died 1980 - heard the news on the radio in our local newspaper shop. I was gutted!

Dunblane - I was at the pub having lunch with colleages and heard the news. No one could understand why I was more shocked than everyone else, but I have family not too far away.

Diana - it was the weekend before my daughter was born and I just crumpled and watched the telly all day (even though at the time I didnt really like the woman...my attitude's changed on that one!) I'll never forget the funeral...I was the only one in the cottage hospital and was made to watch it even though all I wanted to do was get some peace while the baby was asleep! :roll:

9/11 - dropping my daughter off to toddlers drama class I heard about it then saw the 2nd plane hitting the tower in Begg's window...at first I wondered what film he had on then it dawned on me. another day sat infront of the news

percy toboggan
05-Feb-09, 18:35

Im 57

Moon landing 1969 - probably playing football in the 'drive' outside - not fussed.

Elvis died 1977 - on holiday in Rhyl....a poxy xhalet with my wife,two kids and the outlaws. Telly up high on a shelf - had to crick yer neck to watch it.

Diana died - In Northumberland on holiday. Went out early Sunday morn for newspapers to a local garage on the A1. Put the mockers on the first day, but come noon we went to Alnwick Caslte to escape the coverage!

9/11 - on neets. Woke up to t.v. reports of a 'plane' crashing into the WTC. Then had to go to hospital for pre.op (hand) appointment....radio was on in the waiting room as the towers collapsed.

Kennedy shot - the first one - in me Nana's front room.
Dropping a can of orange gloss paint onto her new carpet made more of an impression on me than all these other events.

honey
05-Feb-09, 18:41
Im 32 - sooo

Moon landing 1969 -wasnt born

Elvis died 1977 - just born the year before

Diana died - had spent the previous evening with my then boyfriend, woke up feeling great - but it didnt last long - remeber lying on the couch with said boyfriend listening to the service after that.

9/11 - just finished work (for the American Embassy call center) and got home just as the 2nd plane crashed.

dunblane - doing a placement in Halkirk primary school. just looked round at the kids running around and felt a huge loss for the families.

squidge
06-Feb-09, 00:22
45 too but dont remember the moon landings

Elvis - our house - was sad and they played elvis songs all day

Diana, came through to see why the kids were complaining their programmes werent on the tv, I was amazed to see the news and sat for ages before I could take in what had happened.

9/11 sitting in the car outside school as i was early for picking the kids up. Put on radio four and thought it was the afternoon play. Took a while before i realised it was real. Spent the rest of the day glued to the news channels.

Sporran
06-Feb-09, 09:02
I'm 53.

President Kennedy's assassination, November 22nd, 1963. Was at home in Thurso watching TV with my parents when the news broke that evening. We were all sad and stunned!

Sir Winston Churchill's state funeral, January 1965. It was quite amazing to witness the magnitude of the event on TV, from my home in Thurso. I'd never seen the likes of it before. It was truly befitting of such a great man!

The Aberfan disaster in Wales, October 1966. I was in my final primary school year in Thurso at the time. The reports on the news were heartbreaking, and I remember Cliff Michelmore being close to tears as he was reporting from the disaster site, where over a hundred primary school children lost their lives. Their school was buried by the sudden landslide of a huge colliery waste tip in their village that morning. It happened very quickly and without warning. Only a few children were pulled out alive.

Man landing on the Moon, July 1969. We were visiting my aunt, uncle and cousins in Lancashire, and us kids were awoken in the middle of the night to watch the lunar landing on TV. We were all in awe as we watched!

Princess Anne's wedding to Mark Phillips, November 1973. Watched it on TV in Thurso, and of course we already had a colour TV by that time, so that made it even better! I had never seen Princess Anne look so elegant and glamorous before, and Mark Phillips looked so handsome and dashing in his military uniform with the bright red jacket. I remember thinking she'd done rather well for herself, at the time! :)

Death of Elvis, August 1977. Hubby and I had been married for less than a year, and were still living in Thurso then. We were shocked and saddened to hear the news! Both of us had grown up listening to his music.

We were living in Puerto Rico when John Lennon was murdered in New York in December 1980, and in March 1981 during the attempted assassination of Ronald Reagan. Also when Charles and Diana got married in July 1981. I watched the entire coverage "live" on TV. It was well worth getting up early for! (We were 5 hours behind UK time). I remember feeling angry that John Lennon was killed so easily and senselessly - and cut off when he was still in his prime. I grew up with the Beatles' music, of course. It meant even more to me than Elvis's.

We were living in New England when the Lockerbie disaster occurred in December 1988, and I was pregnant with my second child. I felt so sorry for the people of Lockerbie who were killed, and the victims on the plane too, of course.

The Dunblane Massacre, March 1996. By this time, we were living in Germany, and I could hardly believe that such a heinous deed had been carried out in my homeland, and in a small, quiet town. Somewhere I had visited as a child with my parents and brothers. It would have been more credible had it happened in the USA, where I'd already lived for ten years!

Death of Diana, August 1997. We were on holiday visiting my husband's family near Boston, USA. We had just returned from a shopping trip with our sister-in-law, and my brother-in-law announced the tragic news as soon as we got back to their house, where he had been watching the news. We couldn't believe our ears - it seemed too awful to be true!

September 11th, 2001. We were living in a different area of Germany by this time, and my husband called me from work that afternoon, telling me to turn on the TV and watch the news. He didn't say why. I thought I was watching a movie when I first saw the two smoking towers, until I realised the horrible truth that it was fact, and not fiction! Like the whole world, I was stunned, to say the very least!!

attielattie
06-Feb-09, 13:36
JFK assassination - remember it vaguely, but I was only young.
Moon landing - remember watching it but it didn't seem real somehow.
Elvis' death - I was sunbathing in the garden when I think my mum told me. Wasn't too concerned cos I was really into punk at the time.
Diana's death - watching telly after coming off nightshift on Sunday morning - incomprehensible. Didn't have much of an opinion about her either way, but I felt devastated for some reason.
9/11 - this is a weird one - was on a train with a friend when someone came through the carriage saying a plane had crashed into one of the Twin Towers. We had just stopped at a station and, when I looked out of the window, it was Lockerbie!! I'll never forget that one.
7/7 - Heard it on the radio at work.

A9RUNNER
06-Feb-09, 13:55
Elvis' Death I cannot remember his death as such as I was only 4 but I can remember my parents sitting listening to all the Elvis LPs they had when it happened.

Piper Alpha, I was in the army cadets at the time and we were at the shooting range at wick I am pretty sure the smoke could be seen from where we were.

John Lennons Death. In my parents car and it was on the radio. I had no idea who he was at the time.

Dianas death at home I heard it on the radio.

Dunblane cannot remeber

Lockerbie cannot remember

9/11 at work someone came through and told us it had been on the radio. I had never heard of the world trade center at the time and it didnt sink in until I went home and saw the magnatude of the damage as to how big an event it actually was.

7/7 at a motorbike rally and didnt hear about it until after I got back home.

elamanya
06-Feb-09, 21:28
piper alpha.... just got home the same night from offshore long lie in the morning wife phoned from work and said there had been a fire and explosion on some rig, i said that was on the Cormorant alpha last week .... she said you better turn on the telly:~(

Gizmo
06-Feb-09, 21:54
Where was i when i heard Diana had died?, i was at the all-night panel beaters' in Paris getting my white Fiat Uno fixed.....Shhhhhhhhhhhhh ;)

crayola
06-Feb-09, 23:48
I don't remember Elvis' death at all. I wasn't a fan.

I have a new ambition, I want to be the first woman on the moon. Where do I sign up?

hobbes1962
07-Feb-09, 00:38
Diana died - Watched the news come in on Sky. Car crash in Paris, Diana hospitalised with a broken arm. Went to bed. Quite surprised in the morning when the wife informs me that she died. "How can you die from a broken arm?" I replied.

9/11 - Was working in the pub. Went down to the cellar after the lunch rush to restock, and came back up to find the whole pub - boss, boss' wife, regulars et al, glued to something happening on the TV. At first I thought it was some crappy B-movie but it soon became clear. Most memorable, well unforgettable, moment was seeing people jumping out of the top floors of the WTC. They were literally jumping for their life. To certain death.

Diana dying - Metalattack woke me up in the middle of the night to tell me about the car crash but said that Diana was okay and only had a broken arm. Got up early the next morning to go to work on the checkouts in a supermarket and couldn't understand why everyone was going on about how awful it was about Diana - until someone said she had died. Spent my whole shift trying to work out how she'd managed to die of a broken arm and went home to tell Metalattack that she'd died!!!

9/11 - Was on a day off at home when Metalattack called and told me to switch on the TV. When I swtiched it on I thought it was an advert for a new movie and couldn't work out why he'd phoned to get me to watch that; until I realised it was real and there really were people jumping from the building.

7/7 - Was working nightshifts away in Glenrothes and trying to sleep while my phone kept going off with texts coming in (had it switched on as needed the alarm clock part - 14 hour nightshifts). Eventually gave up trying to sleep and looked at the texts which were all basically the same telling me to switch on the TV. Couldn't believe what I saw and my first thought was for my cousin who lived in London at the time (she was fine but decided to move away from London).

crayola
07-Feb-09, 00:51
Diana dying - Metalattack woke me up in the middle of the nightI'm surprised he didn't wake you up in the middle of the night to tell you his name is spelt Metalattakk, he's very fussy about that you know. :lol:

theone
07-Feb-09, 00:58
I remember Diana's death, woke up on a beautiful sunny morning in a tent at the aultnamain inn on the struie road with a killer hangover.

9/11 I was in Gosport/Fareham in Hampshire. I remember watching the second plane hit live on TV.

I can't really think of any "I remember when" moments. I remember lying in bed and my sister telling me Kurt Cobain was dead, but that's about it...

Dadie
07-Feb-09, 01:03
moon landing..... I wasnt even thought about!
elv is dying.... in my mums tum
diana dying .. at work ...sent home early though!
9/11 at home thought it was a disaster movie at first.

Metalattakk
07-Feb-09, 01:46
I'm surprised he didn't wake you up in the middle of the night to tell you his name is spelt Metalattakk, he's very fussy about that you know. :lol:

YES!! Suitable chastisement has been meted out already.

*you don't wanna know*

[lol]

hotrod4
07-Feb-09, 06:28
moon landing: I was in the process of Being Created!
Diana Dies:Sitting cross legged on the floor with a dram thinking "I must stop drinking the telly is awful"
Dunblane:Coming back from Thurso and hearing it on the radio. Couldnt believe what i was hearing and still cant understand it.
9/11:Watching Sky One when a news alert flashed across the screen.Flicked over to Fox news to find out more.Stayed glued in disbelief at the screen thinking "Thats it we're all going to war and we're all going to die.
9 in a row: A very tense but drunken Wednesday night was had in my humble abode, one of the best nights of my life (so far)