PDA

View Full Version : Scotland's 7 wonders

Rheghead
09-Feb-06, 18:24
Is there anything exclusively in Caithness that deserves to be on the list?

7 wonders of Scotland (http://www.scotsman.com/7wonders)

scotsboy
09-Feb-06, 18:27
Problem with the link Rheghead, this should be it:

http://heritage.scotsman.com/wonders.cfm

I would say the DFR (Dounreay Sphere).

Don Quixote
09-Feb-06, 18:32
No chance of Caithness making it!!

With a proposed 650 Giant Wind Turbines covering the landscape, who wants to look at them!!

Ann
09-Feb-06, 18:36
Old Pulteney, definitely!

badger
09-Feb-06, 18:51
Is there anything exclusively in Caithness that deserves to be on the list?

7 wonders of Scotland (http://www.scotsman.com/7wonders)

You ?? :) (Too short - can't think of anything else to say.)

emszxr
09-Feb-06, 18:55
No chance of Caithness making it!!

With a proposed 650 Giant Wind Turbines covering the landscape, who wants to look at them!!

ME . i really like them and find them amazing

scotsboy
09-Feb-06, 18:59
I am a fan of Wind Farms now, but my newly aquired guru Nial Ferguson does not like em..........self confessed nimby.

http://www.niallferguson.org/publications/Telegraph%20_%20Opinion%20_%20Wind%20farm%20claims %20are%20so%20much%20hot%20air.pdf

teddybear1873
09-Feb-06, 19:00
Why is Ibrox or Hampden not in there lol
Wonder what the 7 wonders of Caithness are
1- The Ord of Caithness
2- Ben Morven
3- Pultney Distillery
4- The Sheriff Court ( haha )
5- Old St Peters Kirk
6- Bill Fernie (sorry Bill but i had to put u in there )
7- Camps Bar

Saveman
09-Feb-06, 19:01
The flow country.

Dunnet Head in any weather (apart from maybe last nights weather.)

The Beaches.

The Trinkie (...have I gone too far?)

Rheghead
09-Feb-06, 19:20
You ?? :) (Too short - can't think of anything else to say.)

It's a wonder that I'm still here.:o)

DrSzin
09-Feb-06, 19:26
I am a fan of Wind Farms now, but my newly aquired guru Nial Ferguson does not like em..........self confessed nimby.He may be a nimby but I agree with (almost) everything he says about windmills. I think he's even got his facts right. :)

I suppose the DFR golfball is a candidate for the list, but I would put the Stacks of Duncansby higher up.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
09-Feb-06, 20:14
Always been impressed in all the years I have been up here with the Berriedale Braes.When you first see it.....amazing!!!!Then you see the sand traps at the side of the road and think "man,thats steep."All the way up from Ayrshire by road with all the scenery but till you get to Caithness a roads a roads a road.But then Berriedale appears and its like "wit's going on here?":grin:

riggerboy
09-Feb-06, 22:23
i think the friendly ppl of wick is a wonder the world may never repeat, as for the t-na-bowlies who cares hahahaha

Geo
09-Feb-06, 22:39
The Fax machine! That would fall into the Scots inventiveness category.

willowbankbear
09-Feb-06, 23:02
1.Berriedale Braes- the view
2.Dunnet Head
3.Wick Bay-from the sea
4.Freswick bay
5.Thurso Bay at Dusk
6.The Ord
7.The Camps Bar-world famous ye ken
[lol] [lol] [lol]

2little2late
09-Feb-06, 23:15
Caithness.org, Surely.

Here's a link to the new 7 wonders of the world. Only one nominee from the U.K. Surprised the Forth bridge never got nominated.
http://www.new7wonders.com/index.php?id=9

Gleber2
10-Feb-06, 03:12
We would have to include Jjc.:Razz
Don Quixote,There used to be over seven hundred broughs in Caithness.I wonder if my ancestors used to complain to the Druids about the blight on the landscape.:p

Sporran
10-Feb-06, 03:16
Some of my suggestions for the list would be Dunnet Head, Brig O' Trams, Duncansby Stacks, Holborn Head, Clett Rock and Thurso Bay. I'd also include the Old Man of Hoy, if it wasn't for the fact that it's in Orkney, and not Caithness.

I've always found Dounreay Fast Reactor's "dome of discovery" to be an impressive sight, so that's definitely another one for the list! :cool:

squidge
10-Feb-06, 16:27
The view from the layby just at the top of the hill before you drop down into John O'Groats - the whole of orkney and the skerries and stroma laid out before you - takes my breath away every time.

DrSzin
10-Feb-06, 16:51
Here's a link to the new 7 wonders of the world. Only one nominee from the U.K. Surprised the Forth bridge never got nominated.
http://www.new7wonders.com/index.php?id=9That's a pretty impressive list of 21 candidates for the 7 new wonders of the world. I like Stonehenge but I would probably have put the Forth Bridge ahead of it too.

How many of the 21 have you seen "in real life"? I've seen 7. I bet someone on here can outdo me easily.

Whitewater
10-Feb-06, 17:49
Clette rock has always facinated me, I remember many years ago going around it in a rowing boat, due to the natural slope of the rocks I got the impression we were rowing downhill.

DFR (the Dounreay sphere) I think should have a mention.

scotsboy
10-Feb-06, 17:55
You went round Clet Rock in rowing boat!!!

I have been round it many times, mostly on ribs - would not fancy going out there in a rowing boat.

The coastline is pretty spectacular close up from the sea, all around the north coast.

paris
10-Feb-06, 18:04
What about the northen lights ?

wickerinca
10-Feb-06, 19:13
Caithness.org, Surely.

http://www.new7wonders.com/index.php?id=9

Gosh...how could anyone choose between those fascinating finalists? They are all amazing.

As for the Caithness ones:

Berridale has to be one as when I am coming home my heart always does a little leap when I reach there.

Sinclair and Girnigoe castles

View from the top of the Groats hill as described before.

Morven, Scaraben and Maiden Pap

Bridge Street Church

The Flow Country

Dounreay.

I'll be seeing you all soon:D

Gogglebox
11-Feb-06, 13:00
Whalligoe Steps and the Pentland Firth view

Sporran
13-Feb-06, 03:40
That's a pretty impressive list of 21 candidates for the 7 new wonders of the world. I like Stonehenge but I would probably have put the Forth Bridge ahead of it too.

How many of the 21 have you seen "in real life"? I've seen 7. I bet someone on here can outdo me easily.

I've only seen 3 of them "in real life", but have seen one of them twice, and another one thrice! :cool:

ywindy
15-Feb-06, 00:29
The clear uncluttered sky. Long may it last.
ywindy

Errogie
16-Mar-06, 19:38
Why hasn't anybody listed Dirlot gorge and the Devil's pool on the Thurso river under the old grave yard? It even has royal approval as the place the Queen Mother liked to fish every year when she came up to the county.
And then there's the hidden beach just to the north of the House of the Northen Gate.

DrSzin
16-Mar-06, 19:46
Dirlot? Ssssssshhh. Mustn't go there. There were devilishly-fiendish goings-on in Dirlot a few years ago. You can be banned from the Org for even mentioning the place. Ssssshhh...

landmarker
16-Mar-06, 22:24
That's a pretty impressive list of 21 candidates for the 7 new wonders of the world. I like Stonehenge but I would probably have put the Forth Bridge ahead of it too.

Possibly, I dunno yet.
You'd put the Forth Bridge ahead of Stonehenge? I'm amazed.
I love that bridge but come on Doc, will it still be there c. 6006?

Kenn
16-Mar-06, 23:29
My 7 best things in Caithness would be,

1.Bird colonies at Duncansby Head
2.Westerdale by the mill any time of year.
3.Braemore bridge and the trout pool under it.
4.Dunnet Bay at sunset.
5.Seals at Gill's Bay.
6.Bewick and Hooper swans in winter.
7.Skeins of Brent geese honking across the sky as they migrate north to breed.
Could go on and on there's just so much that makes it such a special place.Ohh got to mention this, the snowdrops at Forss and the daffodils that are planted everywhere making the place turn bright yellow in Spring.