PDA

View Full Version : Bmi

router
04-Feb-09, 14:01
After having my BMI checked it has been noted that i am slightly underweight for my height and build, where the wife who is of slight build was informed her BMI meant she was slightly over weight.

Reading info on medical weight issues there seems to be alot about what is the right weight for a person, depending on build how much exercise they get diet and so on. so how do we determine wether we are medically too thin, the right weight or obese.

I fortunately can eat anything and never gain weight as i have a high matabolism, where the wife eats little and can gain weight by looking at food.

if you are maybe 5ft 10 in and weigh 9 st 6 you are classed as underweight, where as someone who is 5ft 2 in and 9st 8lbs is classed as being over weight.
we both battle with weight issues but at the opposite scales of eachother.

so how do medical professionals have a right to class anyone as being medically too thin or too fat just by the BMI index.

skinnydog
04-Feb-09, 14:08
The whole BMI thing bamboozles me. My OH has a BMI that almost puts him straight into the coffin but takes no account of the fact that he plays rugby, squash, is much fitter than I ever will be and has shoulders as wide as the door!

Blazing Sporrans
04-Feb-09, 14:19
I think that rightly, BMI is now more marginalised by medical professionals rather than being considered the be all and end all in terms of determining obesity. I read that Lawrence Dallaglio, the former England rugby international, was morbidly obese in terms of BMI, because all BMI considers is a simple height to weight ratio. There is no account of muscle density or frame size in normal BMI calculations. I was told in high school biology that muscle tissue is approximately three times as dense as fat, hence Dallaglio's outlandish BMI rating. There is another formula now used that considers BMI but also takes into account a waistline measurement, which apparently gives a more accurate determination of obesity or the trend towards obesity. Trouble is, I can't remember what it is or where I read it....!

ett23
04-Feb-09, 14:25
[quote=router;496229]
I fortunately can eat anything and never gain weight as i have a high matabolism, where the wife eats little and can gain weight by looking at food.quote]

I have a similar problem to your wife. I have a slow metabolism and gain weight very easily and generally weight a lot more than you might think. I'm 5ft 5 and weigh just under 11 stone (yet I'm a dress size 10/12). And of course that makes me overweight. Nobody believes me when I say I'm overweight! My BMI is 25.3 (I just checked it online). I hate being categorized like that - it's just not right!!! :roll:

floyed
04-Feb-09, 14:28
I don't think you need your BMI to tell you how fat or thin you are.

You know yourself if you are too fat or too skinny. There is too much focus put on peoples weight, if you are happy your happy if your not you do something about it.

router
04-Feb-09, 14:29
I think that rightly, BMI is now more marginalised by medical professionals rather than being considered the be all and end all in terms of determining obesity. I read that Lawrence Dallaglio, the former England rugby international, was morbidly obese in terms of BMI, because all BMI considers is a simple height to weight ratio. There is no account of muscle density or frame size in normal BMI calculations. I was told in high school biology that muscle tissue is approximately three times as dense as fat, hence Dallaglio's outlandish BMI rating. There is another formula now used that considers BMI but also takes into account a waistline measurement, which apparently gives a more accurate determination of obesity or the trend towards obesity. Trouble is, I can't remember what it is or where I read it....!

I noticed something about waist measurements and we tried that, the wife ended up being perfect but i am still underweight . its getting harder to say if you are ideal too thin or too fat these days with so many different ideas on this.

dallagio was an all time great at his profession.:lol:

router
04-Feb-09, 14:32
[quote=router;496229]
I fortunately can eat anything and never gain weight as i have a high matabolism, where the wife eats little and can gain weight by looking at food.quote]

I have a similar problem to your wife. I have a slow metabolism and gain weight very easily and generally weight a lot more than you might think. I'm 5ft 5 and weigh just under 11 stone (yet I'm a dress size 10/12). And of course that makes me overweight. Nobody believes me when I say I'm overweight! My BMI is 25.3 (I just checked it online). I hate being categorized like that - it's just not right!!! :roll:

My wife is 5ft 2 in and is in size 10 and weighs 9st 8- 9st 10 but she is still classed as being over weight on the chart. She reads this and feels she is overweight although i think she has a grand figure.

router
04-Feb-09, 14:41
I don't think you need your BMI to tell you how fat or thin you are.

You know yourself if you are too fat or too skinny. There is too much focus put on peoples weight, if you are happy your happy if your not you do something about it.

This is not to do with being happy about what weight i am its about the fact that im happy with my weight but according to medical diagnosis im underweight. Now if you think your happy and are content with yourself at the weight you are thats ok but to be knocked off your perch by someone in a medical proffesion, it can be very downing.

we all go on about medical problems we have and you go to a doctor and he say its all to do with your weight issues.for example. and heavily over weight person goes to doctor about a knee complaint doc says lose weight will help in long run.
a person who is underweight goes to doc because they feel listless and tired and the doc says eat more.who wins.

brandy
04-Feb-09, 14:48
ok first of all.. ive seen your wife.. she is not over weight... *gives her a good slap on the hand* you silly thing! if i had her fugure after having the kids... i would be jumping for joy!
yup your a string bean.. but your healthy right?
are your ribs sticking out and your belly concave?
i wouldnt really worry about it...
im considered obese, and even though i eat healthily and do what im suppose to do still have trouble loosing the weight! ahh well... will keep on trying though!

joxville
04-Feb-09, 14:59
I first heard of BMI about 5 years ago and wonder when was it invented and by whom? To what purpose does it serve? Everyone I know who has had their BMI checked never seems to agree with the findings. Seems to me it's another way of the medical industry persuading us we need to spend money on putting ourselves right. I've managed to reach 43 years of age so not done too bad. If I carry on living my life the way of the previous 43 years then I'll be quite happy. I am as nature intended. As far as I'm concerned BMI= Bloody MisInformation.

router
04-Feb-09, 15:01
cheers for that brandy though if you want her slapped you can do it,i'd rather stay healthy:eek:

Tugmistress
04-Feb-09, 16:04
As far as i am concerned the BMI is a load of tosh, use it as a guideline if you must, but personally if you feel fit how you are then that is right for you, if you loose weight and feel lethargic, you've gone too far and conversely if you gain weight and feel lethargic you've gone too far the other way.
I'm all of 5'2" and weigh around 10st, that puts me in size 10 or 12, i feel fine at this weight, i was 8.5st when i moved up here and in kids clothes, i felt shattered all the time, i know which one i prefer to be ;)

joxville
04-Feb-09, 16:19
I'm all of 5'2" and weigh around 10st, that puts me in size 10 or 12, i feel fine at this weight, i was 8.5st when i moved up here and in kids clothes, i felt shattered all the time, i know which one i prefer to be ;)

Ooooh Tugs, you foxy minx......maybe you and I should meet. :D

See My Avatar thread for further info.

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=67271

garrioch
04-Feb-09, 16:22
as BMI take no consideration of build almost all athletes, sports people men and women are considered obese and for sports like rugby, basket ball and wieght lifting almost all are mobidly obese, for that fact alone I completely disregard BMI, unless you happen to be jonny average, it is absolutley pointless and is there for some govement statistics to tell us how bad we all are for being such a fat nation.

percy toboggan
04-Feb-09, 18:35
Don't pay too much attention to BMI.
I'm ideal - apparently but have quite skinny legs now - with slight atrophy in my left thigh.
I've always had a fat arsh, and though my gut is small by modern standards it's not washboard flat and the only six pack I ever saw was at the off licence.

Ideal? only in my mind....and anyway I'd sooner be a bit chubby than wincin' when I walk!

scorrie
04-Feb-09, 18:44
I lost 3 and a half stones in weight due to undiagnosed type 1 diabetes. After being diagnosed and medicated I put it all back on, plus several more stones!!

I am 6' 3" tall. After having consulted the chart, I have discovered that I am the correct weight for my height, BUT only if I am 7ft 11in tall ;)

router
04-Feb-09, 19:22
my wife struggled for 3 years to lose 6 stone, going from 16st down to 10.she now maintains a weight between 9-10 st.
so it is hard for her to think thin thoughts whilst in medical terms shes still overweight:lol:

joxville
04-Feb-09, 19:48
Pah.....doctors...what do they know. :~(

router
04-Feb-09, 20:16
thats what i keep tellin the wife, but does she listen:roll: