PDA

View Full Version : Starve or Feed HELP!!

alanabain
04-Feb-09, 13:49
Must be a bad day for sick kids.

My 4 year old has had diarrheoa ( googled that ) since sunday and have been told that the best thing to do is to starve him... yesterday i gave him some boiled eggs and he threw these up not long after eating them.

then today he had a biscuit ( sneaky one ) and threw this up aswell.

whats the best thing to do with this as i have now been told to feed him as some of it will stay in.

Iv been giving him lots of water so he wont dehydrate, thats staying down fine.

Its breaking my heart starving him but hate seeing him throw up.. can anyone help?

Thumper
04-Feb-09, 13:58
Best thing to do is starve him to let his digestive system calm down a bit,give plenty of fluids though!No more than 24 hours though x

Murdina Bug
04-Feb-09, 14:11
Try plain stuff - toast, crackers, chicken & rice. NO dairy products until back to normal. If he's not hungry though, then don't force it - he won't starve but will eat like a horse when he is better to make up for it!

floyed
04-Feb-09, 14:19
My son had dioreha just before christmas. If you give him food you are just feeding the bug in his belly. It wont hurt him to go without food for a few days as long as he has plenty of water.

taylor.4
04-Feb-09, 14:21
It does sound cruel but i would starve him, plenty of fluids but nothing to eat, hopefully he will be better soon.

crashbandicoot1979
04-Feb-09, 14:23
I agree, starve him. It sounds cruel when I put it like that! But it will give his system a chance to beat the bug and as long as he's drinking plenty he should be fine.

newpark
04-Feb-09, 14:27
I would say toast and plenty of liquid.

Blazing Sporrans
04-Feb-09, 14:28
I was always advised to give kids yoghurt when stomach upsets like this occurred. My brother told me that the (good) bacteria from the stomach and lower intestine are killed off when such upsets occur and that the bacteria found in yoghurt helps to replace the bacteria lost in an upset stomach. Failing that he can keep yoghurt down, it's vitally important to remain hydrated and if you can get him to take Dioralyte or something similar, that should help. Trouble is that it tastes foul and my kids always hated it. Maybe he'll take an isotonic sports drink, which I think does pretty much the same thing but in less concentration.

teenybash
04-Feb-09, 14:46
The best thing you can give the wee one is FLAT COKE............this will prevent dehydration and give him all he needs re salts and sugars etc.
But make sure you shake all the gas out of the coke....it really is best and will give him a wee bit of taste as well.

This remedy is tried tested and will work till his tummy can take food.

Lots of cuddles for him too. :)

brandy
04-Feb-09, 14:50
same thing with my boy couple weeks ago.. and dr. told me to starve him for 24 hrs. but to keep the fluids up.. basically when you feed him your feeding the bug as well!
heres hoping to a fast recovery!

Gizmo
04-Feb-09, 15:04
My 4 year old has had diarrheoa ( googled that )

Your Google must be broken as it's spelt 'Diarrhoea':lol:, i wouldn't worry about it though, nobody knows how to spell it, it's one of the words that you're not meant to know the spelling of ;)

Blazing Sporrans
04-Feb-09, 15:22
I should have emphasised that if you're wanting to feed your child yoghurt, then opt for the probiotic type, not the ones with fruit or biscuits in (you know what I mean!). Bananas are always another staple for helping...

Valerie Campbell
04-Feb-09, 16:04
If he's keeping some of the water down, that'll stop him dehydrating. Add a small pinch of salt and 5ml glucose to the water to replace his lost fluids. He should drink roughly 200ml per kg of body weight while he has the diarrhoea in any 24 hour period. Don't give him food and when he does feel hungry - always a good sign - only give him very small quantities. If he continues to vomit and has a temperature, take him to the doctor. Hope he gets well soon .

anneoctober
04-Feb-09, 16:17
Your Google must be broken as it's spelt 'Diarrhoea':lol:, i wouldn't worry about it though, nobody knows how to spell it, it's one of the words that you're not meant to know the spelling of ;)
Could we no choost say " his bum is seek"??[lol]

ShelleyCowie
04-Feb-09, 16:17
Starve him!! Lol! I told u that for days tho....but did u listen to the wise one...no!! lol!

jings00
04-Feb-09, 16:33
a plain type of iced lolly might be a nice wee change for him and easy to sook on
hope better soon!

router
04-Feb-09, 17:42

My 4 year old has had diarrheoa ( googled that ) since sunday and have been told that the best thing to do is to starve him... yesterday i gave him some boiled eggs and he threw these up not long after eating them.

whats the best thing to do with this as i have now been told to feed him as some of it will stay in.

Its breaking my heart starving him but hate seeing him throw up.. can anyone help?

take him to your gp asking questions on here about childrens illness is pointless ,the first port of call for any parent with a sick child is your health centre not a .org forum:roll:

ShelleyCowie
04-Feb-09, 17:46
take him to your gp asking questions on here about childrens illness is pointless ,the first port of call for any parent with a sick child is your health centre not a .org forum:roll:

Em to me i thought it was a parents choice! Seeking advice is ok...aint it! :roll:

Ricco
04-Feb-09, 17:50

Starve - won't do 'im any harm. But do keep up with the water - he'll be losing loads. Once he's recovered he'll let you know and something like a soup will be a good start. My mom always started with chicken noodle and then worked up to oxtail soup.

supernova
04-Feb-09, 17:52
Teenybash is right about the flat coke good for maintaining electrolytes must be the full fat stuff. But after this many days I think you should consult your GP. Fluids are more important than food so if he's not keeping anything down pointless feeding him.
Hope he gets better soon.

router
04-Feb-09, 18:00
Em to me i thought it was a parents choice! Seeking advice is ok...aint it! :roll:

also your obligation to care for him properly and seek medical advice for him even as a parent you don't have the right to deny him any care or medication he may need.

ShelleyCowie
04-Feb-09, 18:02
also your obligation to care for him properly and seek medical advice for him even as a parent you don't have the right to deny him any care or medication he may need.

I had seeked medical advice for my thread about my sons rash! But nobody could get back to me and i was waiting no longer to get through to NHS24.

I had already booked him with the doctor and spoken to them! So i have denied my son nothing! :mad:

Highland lad
04-Feb-09, 18:11
If he does feel like eating try Rich Tea Biscuits they are nice and plain. Remember to get him to eat slowly, more chance it will stay down.

router
04-Feb-09, 18:30
I had seeked medical advice for my thread about my sons rash! But nobody could get back to me and i was waiting no longer to get through to NHS24.

I had already booked him with the doctor and spoken to them! So i have denied my son nothing! :mad:

so then why ask more advise on a forum is what im implying. we are not doctors, medical situations are for medical personel not forum members.

unicorn
04-Feb-09, 18:40
there are many times I have had advixe from doctors yet been given other little tips that have been of more help in situations than the doctors advice.
I think your opinion was a bit strong router, we are not vets on the forum either but people give advice without you implying that animals are being denied medical care.
Shelly is denying her child nothing by asking for advice.

Venture
04-Feb-09, 18:44
so then why ask more advise on a forum is what im implying. we are not doctors, medical situations are for medical personel not forum members.

If someone wants to come on here and ask advice then that is their choice. Sometimes other peoples experiences are very helpful. It dosen't mean that the poster has to take the advice.

You yourself posted advice on the thread about chickenpox so why criticise others for the doing the same on here.

ShelleyCowie
04-Feb-09, 18:45
there are many times I have had advixe from doctors yet been given other little tips that have been of more help in situations than the doctors advice.
I think your opinion was a bit strong router, we are not vets on the forum either but people give advice without you implying that animals are being denied medical care.
Shelly is denying her child nothing by asking for advice.

Thanks Unicorn!

As i said Router...i have seeked medical attention but can get nobody to look at him today!

I would NEVER deny my son any medical attention!

The org has always pulled through for advice for me! So if i want to get some advice here then i will! If you dont like that then dont read my posts.

Dont mean to sound nasty Router but the way i have taken what you have said it upset me a little bit!

devil's sidekick
04-Feb-09, 18:48
nevermind him shelley you have done the right thing he is just an ignorant so and so

router
04-Feb-09, 18:53
Thanks Unicorn!

As i said Router...i have seeked medical attention but can get nobody to look at him today!

I would NEVER deny my son any medical attention!

The org has always pulled through for advice for me! So if i want to get some advice here then i will! If you dont like that then dont read my posts.

Dont mean to sound nasty Router but the way i have taken what you have said it upset me a little bit!

am sorry i didn't mean to cause upset,i just feel strongly about kids health and making sure they get the right treatment.if,for talking sake you take advice from a layman and it's wrong where does it leave you,it could make him worse i just feel it's best to vere on the safe side and go to a proffessional.
appologies again if you felt offended

router
04-Feb-09, 18:57
nevermind him shelley you have done the right thing he is just an ignorant so and so

not ignorant when it comes to childrens health and well being and i'm certainly not a pregnant goldfish like you implied in your unedited post.

alanabain
04-Feb-09, 18:58

This comment is out of order.

Of course i am caring for him properly, he has obviously picked up a bug and is getting plenty of rest and water. The rest of the time he is as bright as a button and would not think there was anything wrong with him.

As shelleybain already said there is no appointments today, and was looking for the OPINION of the orgers, not seeking medical advise from them.

Obviously, you think you are some kind of professional in making that comment that i am not properly caring for him because i havnt taken him out of the house, into the freezing cold to wait at a hospital to be told to keep him hydrated.

In future maybe you should re-read your posts before you submit it and think to yourself what it might actually mean to the person reading it