PDA

View Full Version : Old Ordnance Survey Map

SunsetSong
04-Feb-09, 13:31
Hi

Wondering if anyone has any info on Pentland Lodge in Granville Street, Thurso. Just curious as according to the old ordnance suvey map it is shown as a Manse...but for which church?? Its a really beautiful building and would love some more info on it.

Also on the map is shown a little further down...a drill hall which is obviously the masonic lodge, I think?? But in the next block down a chapel is shown with another manse next to it...not sure what that can be...unless I am being really thick!! Any info greatly appreciated!!

Sage
04-Feb-09, 13:36
hiya,

Pentland House was the former Manse for the Church of Scotland, the Masonic Hall was also the Drill House.

I think the chapel was the Old Congregationalist Chapel but would have to look it up.

Theres a really good book called Caithness: an illustrated architectural guide which gives you all sorts of info on the buildings in Caithness. I think its out of print now but the library has a copy.

Valerie Campbell
04-Feb-09, 15:50
I just got a copy of this map. It's brilliant seeing how the town has changed.

anneoctober
04-Feb-09, 17:02
Where have you lovely people found these maps? I'm doing the family tree and it's amazing how everyone moves around within Caithness back then, so I'd love to be able to pinpoint where are the relatives were. Looking forward to your assistance as ever! :lol:

SunsetSong
04-Feb-09, 17:06
Hi Ann

Found it in Bews Bookshop, have had it for a while but sure that they still have them. I think ones of Wick are available as well but as far as I know it is just of the towns, don't know if there is anything available for out in the country.

SunsetSong
04-Feb-09, 17:08
hiya,

Pentland House was the former Manse for the Church of Scotland, the Masonic Hall was also the Drill House.

I think the chapel was the Old Congregationalist Chapel but would have to look it up.

Theres a really good book called Caithness: an illustrated architectural guide which gives you all sorts of info on the buildings in Caithness. I think its out of print now but the library has a copy.

Thanks Sage I will try having a look there when I get time. Must go for a walk and see what is on that site now.

SunsetSong
04-Feb-09, 17:09
I just got a copy of this map. It's brilliant seeing how the town has changed.

Isn't it just!
Seems to strange to think that there was no Spring Park etc and the town ended at Pentland Lodge virtually!!

Metalattakk
04-Feb-09, 17:25
Where have you lovely people found these maps? I'm doing the family tree and it's amazing how everyone moves around within Caithness back then, so I'd love to be able to pinpoint where are the relatives were. Looking forward to your assistance as ever! :lol:

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/

Sage
04-Feb-09, 17:30
Forgot to say, that book is by Elizabeth Beaton.

I Bews dont have the maps, just ask Gavin behind the desk and he'll be able to get them for you. ;)

Valerie Campbell
05-Feb-09, 12:46
The infamous Ebay has them too...

anneoctober
05-Feb-09, 15:22
http://www.old-maps.co.uk/
Thanks most of places I'm looking for have a OS map , some from 1872. :)