PDA

View Full Version : Stressed? New course starting soon in Thurso

freckles
04-Feb-09, 13:29
Stress Management skills may be the answer.

NHS Highland are running a free 6 session course to teach you about stress and ways to tackle stress.

The next course starts on :
Wednesday

18th February 2009

in The NorthHighlandCollege

at 7pm

The six sessions of the course

Session 1: Learning about stress

In this session, we will look at the causes of stress and what keeps us going. We will look at the way it affects your thoughts, actions and body, and explode the myths about stress. We will look at why stress affects people in different ways.

Session 2 : Controlling your body
In this session, you will learn how to use relaxation. You will get a CD to keep to let you practise at home. We also look at how exercise can help stress.

Session 3 : Controlling your thoughts -
Cognitive Therapy
You will learn how stress affects your thinking and how your thinking then affects your thoughts. You will learn how to use your mind to control stress along with ways of nipping stress in the bud. We will look at ways of getting this under control.

Session 4 : Controlling your actions
Behaviour Therapy
You will learn ways of facing up to stress along with a very useful skill called “Problem Solving”. These skills are then combined with what you have learned in session 3 to create a powerful skill (Cognitive - Behaviour Therapy).

Session 5 : Controlling panic
Learning about panic attacks and how to deal with them will be useful even for those who don’t have panic as these work well with all kinds of stress.

Session 6 : Controlling sleep problems and controlling the future
In this session we will look at common sleep problems. Then we look at how to sleep better. This lets you recharge your batteries. This helps you fight stress.

Who is it for?
For anybody over 16 who feels anxious, panicky, stressed or worried and who wants to know more about this and to learn ways to deal with it.

What can I expect?
This is an educational class, it’s not group therapy. You will not be asked about personal problems. You will be taught about stress and ways to help yourself. There will be some written information for you to take home and new things for you to try between classes.

Will it help me?
Most people find the course very helpful. It has been running for many years in the UK so it’s ‘tried and tested’. The more you work on your problems, the more you will benefit from the course, you need to put the ideas into practice to improve the way you feel.

Where and when?

The next course starts on :
Wednesday

18th February 2009

in The NorthHighlandCollege

at 7pm

Does it cost anything?
No. The course with all the information sheets and tapes/CD’s is free of charge.
Who will run the course?
Your local Guided Self Help Worker who is a trained, experienced professional.

Can I bring someone with me?
If you feel a bit anxious about coming on your own, then feel free to ask someone to come with you for support (they might learn something too)! If you have any friends, family or colleagues that may benefit from the course, they can come along together.

I’m interested-what do I do now?
You can just turn up at the first class but to help us plan, it would be helpful if you could get in touch:

Audrey O’Brien
Guided Self Help Worker
Caithness & North West Sutherland
Dunbar Hospital
Ormlie Road
Thurso KW14 7XE
Tel : 01847 896802
email : audrey.obrien@nhs.net (audrey.obrien@nhs.net)

If you find your call goes to voice mail, please leave a message and your number and we will call you back asap.