PDA

View Full Version : Weird Rash on my son?! Help!!!

ShelleyCowie
04-Feb-09, 11:23
When i was feeding my son this morning i noticed blister like spots on his head. So when i was changing him i noticed alot more of these on his body. There is a couple of really bad spots.

As i said its like little blisters. The only way i can describe is after having a severe burn. Which he has not been burnt!

I have checked for menengitis. Dont want to make a big fuss at the doctors either.

Any ideas?

Also his temperature is normal and he seems quite happy. Could this be an allergic reaction???

Any advice welcome please!!

ett23
04-Feb-09, 11:24
They could be chickenpox. They look like fluid-filled blisters. Where else on his body are they?

Angela
04-Feb-09, 11:26
Sounds me me just like chickenpox, Shelley, but really you should give the doctor a call. :)

ShelleyCowie
04-Feb-09, 11:26
They could be chickenpox. They look like fluid-filled blisters. Where else on his body are they?

Yeah thats it! fluid filled! Cudna think o the words!

They are on his chest, legs, arms, sides, back and around his groin area!

(Thanks for the speedy response) ;)

ShelleyCowie
04-Feb-09, 11:30
can a 4 month old baby really get chicken pox! :eek: I thought they never got it til they was older!!!

binbob
04-Feb-09, 11:38
can a 4 month old baby really get chicken pox! :eek: I thought they never got it til they was older!!!

sounds like chickenpox...but i would go to dr. .as baby is very young.better safe than sorry.
best wishes to u both...;)

weegie
04-Feb-09, 11:45
hi,
there nothing worse than finding a rash, but its defo chicken pox was in the same situation myself, but there are doing the rounds just now!!

X

simpsoney
04-Feb-09, 11:45
I say it sounds like chicken pox too. I would def give doctor a call.

My oldest daughter (2) has it at the moment quite bad. I was up most of last night with her. I am just waiting for my 5 month old to get it too!! They do say that up until they are 4 months old they get protection from it from mother but i dont know if thats true or not.

Hope everything is ok. Its not nice to see them so itchy etc.

ShelleyCowie
04-Feb-09, 11:54
Cant get a doctors app til tomorrow! Typical eh! And he is meant to have his next lot of injections tomorrow too so think they might have to be posponed!

Doesnt help that i am a typical worrier!! lol!

I really hope his 2 older brothers dont get it because its their birthdays this weekend! Oh dear! :eek:

Cant take him to get him weighed today either now because dont want other babies to get it!

newpark
04-Feb-09, 12:23
Sounds like the pox's to me.

anneoctober
04-Feb-09, 12:26
When i was feeding my son this morning i noticed blister like spots on his head. So when i was changing him i noticed alot more of these on his body. There is a couple of really bad spots.

As i said its like little blisters. The only way i can describe is after having a severe burn. Which he has not been burnt!

I have checked for menengitis. Dont want to make a big fuss at the doctors either.

Any ideas?

Also his temperature is normal and he seems quite happy. Could this be an allergic reaction???

Any advice welcome please!!
Shelley, check for chickenpox, it's on the go at Pennyland school. Our Louise had it a couple of weeks ago and now her brothers ( 3 yrs & 8 months ) have it !

Julia
04-Feb-09, 12:27
Cant get a doctors app til tomorrow! Typical eh! And he is meant to have his next lot of injections tomorrow too so think they might have to be posponed!

Doesnt help that i am a typical worrier!! lol!

I really hope his 2 older brothers dont get it because its their birthdays this weekend! Oh dear! :eek:

Cant take him to get him weighed today either now because dont want other babies to get it!

Did you explain to the surgery that your baby is only 4 months and you suspect chickenpox? He really should be seen today! What about phoning your heath visitor, in the meantime give your baby some calpol and cover him in calomine lotion to soothe his blisters.

Poor wee man....

router
04-Feb-09, 12:27
not a medical expert but it certainly sounds like chicken pox.Calamine lotion should helpyour son.. Now reading your son is only four months old i would not be giving him anything like calpol. You must go to your doctor about this with him being so young, this is not the place for advise.

skinnydog
04-Feb-09, 12:29
Shelley

Hope you have not infected all the girls you were with yesterday!!

highlander
04-Feb-09, 12:31
When you give your baby a bath, put some bacarbonite of soda in the bath, it will help.

ashaw1
04-Feb-09, 12:48
My son had chickenpox at 3 weeks old. If they get a mild case when they are young they will usually get it again at some stage.

Sage
04-Feb-09, 13:03
Phone your Pharmacist! That's what they are there for. :D

it does sound like chicken pox but a pharmacist will be able to advise you until you get to a doctor. for goodness sake dont use calomine lotion, its it horrible stuff and does no good.

ShelleyCowie
04-Feb-09, 13:10
i did explain to the doctors that he was 4 months old but they said there was no way they could fit me in today! And i phoned my health visitor but there is nobody available and that i will only get a call back at about 5pm.

Should i phone for a midwife instead? Because surely they will still help? :confused

Sage
04-Feb-09, 13:11
phone your pharmacist :D honestly thats their job

COACHMAN
04-Feb-09, 13:15
Check WWW.KIDSHEALTH.ORG (http://www.KIDSHEALTH.ORG) lots of info on here about Chickenpox.

Penelope Pitstop
04-Feb-09, 13:34
Ask the doctors surgery if they have a nurse available - who could at least diagnose chicken pox.

As someone has already said a pharmacist will give you good advice on what to give him. I find co-op chemist and Williamsons good.

flowertot
04-Feb-09, 13:43
Phone NHS 24 on 08454242424 they'll sort you out.

Julia
04-Feb-09, 13:44
Now reading your son is only four months old i would not be giving him anything like calpol.

CALPOL® Infant Suspension*, pain and fever relief, is suitable for infants aged 2 months plus

http://www.calpol.co.uk/en/latest.asp?section=25&ct=2

router
04-Feb-09, 13:50
CALPOL® Infant Suspension*, pain and fever relief, is suitable for infants aged 2 months plus

http://www.calpol.co.uk/en/latest.asp?section=25&ct=2

so why do doctors give ibuprofen instead of calpol. well our doctor will not prescribe Calpol and has discussed with us why they prefer not to.

ShelleyCowie
04-Feb-09, 13:51
Thanks for everybodys help! Reading on the website someone supplied it says about a cough and runny nose which he has had! I thought it was a cold! :confused

Have given him a tiny drop of 2+ Month calpol. He seems to be quite content but he always has been anyway! He just needs a cuddle! :Razz

I think im going to have to sellotape the scratch mits on to him tho! He is putting his hands in his mouth to pull them off and scratch! He is smarter than i thought! :lol:

My partner never knew what it was because he has never seen chicken pox before! But now we know what to look for with his 2 older brothers incase they get it!!

Julia
04-Feb-09, 13:55
so why do doctors give ibuprofen instead of calpol. well our doctor will not prescribe Calpol and has discussed with us why they prefer not to.

You will have to ask Calpol that one, ibuprofen is usually advised after immunisation or if the child has a temperature. I'm only stating what Calpol recommend, they are probably wrong though if you say otherwise.

router
04-Feb-09, 14:12
You will have to ask Calpol that one, ibuprofen is usually advised after immunisation or if the child has a temperature. I'm only stating what Calpol recommend, they are probably wrong though if you say otherwise.

being a parent yourself do you not try to do what is best for your child

self medicating children under 6 with calpol was dissadvised due to parents overdosing children, and in the long run children run the risk of liver problems, asthma and excema by the age of 6-7 if given calpol.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article4783572.ece

Our doctor, DR Pearson prescribes ibuprofen or paracetemol suspension not CALPOL for fever, immunisations and pain relief due to the problems of calpol.

As always youre right again julia. Im really good at being knowledgeable about childrens health issues and welfare. I have to be being a parent.

ett23
04-Feb-09, 14:13
Poor you Shelley. It probably is chickenpox and there's no way of avoiding it these days - it's rampant round here. Still surprised my youngest hasn't got it yet. We thought she did a few weeks back but the spots disappeared and didn't scab over like the blisters of chickenpox do. It is a weird-looking rash to see for the first time isn't it! Hope your baby doesn't get it really bad. As long as he gets seen by the doctors soon then you'll be able to find out for definite what it is and they can keep a close eye on him if he gets ill with it. Here's hoping the other lads don't catch it - nightmare to have all of them scratching at once!!! :eek:

ett23
04-Feb-09, 14:16
being a parent yourself do you not try to do what is best for your child

self medicating children under 6 with calpol was dissadvised due to parents overdosing children, and in the long run children run the risk of liver problems, asthma and excema by the age of 6-7 if given calpol.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article4783572.ece

Our doctor, DR Pearson prescribes ibuprofen or paracetemol suspension not CALPOL for fever, immunisations and pain relief due to the problems of calpol.

As always youre right again julia. Im really good at being knowledgeable about childrens health issues and welfare. I have to be being a parent.

I had no idea about this and I also happen to be a parent! We're not perfect you know!! Anyway I tend to buy pharmacists own brand of paracetamol suspension because I always thought it did the same job as calpol for half the price!!! I would always use paracetamol suspension first if my kids are ill and then ibuprofen on top of it to bring a temperature down as I know this is perfectly safe to do. Never heard that calpol is unsafe for children before now!!

taylor.4
04-Feb-09, 14:18
can a 4 month old baby really get chicken pox! :eek: I thought they never got it til they was older!!! My son had chicken pox when he was 4 weeks old, only a mild case but he got it again when he was 2 and 1/2.

floyed
04-Feb-09, 14:21
I would seek medical advice you can never be to careful with your baby's, and don't worry about bothering the doctor that is what they are there for.

Lavenderblue2
04-Feb-09, 14:21

Certainly sounds like chickenpox to me Shelly - I had it when I was just 11 weeks old!

I hope your little one recovers soon - dear little soul.

router
04-Feb-09, 14:22
I had no idea about this and I also happen to be a parent! We're not perfect you know!! Anyway I tend to buy pharmacists own brand of paracetamol suspension because I always thought it did the same job as calpol for half the price!!! I would always use paracetamol suspension first if my kids are ill and then ibuprofen on top of it to bring a temperature down as I know this is perfectly safe to do. Never heard that calpol is unsafe for children before now!!

No parents are perfect, fact of life we all make mistakes.;)

The issues with calpol were all over the news last year.Ask any health professional if you are unsure about any aspects of child health and welfare issues.

Ash
04-Feb-09, 14:30

you bet me to it i was going to write basically the same thing as u did
if its unsafe why is it still being sold?????

ShelleyCowie
04-Feb-09, 14:38
It is not alot of calpol he has had! I never over do it with calpol! Even after injections i never see the need to give him calpol!

I just thought i would give him a little bit to see if he settled a wee bit.

He is sleeping just now and does not seem to have gone off his food at all so far which is good! :Razz

Thanks everyone!

Its not nice seeing him with all these nasty spots but i suppose it could be alot worse!

poppett
04-Feb-09, 19:21
I would have had the doctor out on a housecall if it were my infant. Was at Riverbank tonight (just after 5pm) to hand in a letter from a Consultant and there were two doctors, 3 receptionists and no patients!

If you are worried then call the NHS24 and get the Out of Hours (OOH) doctor to call.

Hope the wee mite improves soon. I still have the scarring from chicken pox, it`s really nasty if they pick the blisters (cotton gloves may help stop scratching).

changilass
04-Feb-09, 19:30
I have been told to give calpol by both doctor and hospital when needed, never heard of any problems.

Can you give a link to the negatives of calpol please router, would like to see the information for myself.

cesare
04-Feb-09, 19:32
lol at askin the org n not a doctor ...whats world coming tOo :/:roll:

router
04-Feb-09, 19:37

I have been told to give calpol by both doctor and hospital when needed, never heard of any problems.

Can you give a link to the negatives of calpol please router, would like to see the information for myself.

if you look at a post in which ett23 quoted me there is already a link to the effects of calpol useage in children.:)
or so you dont have to re read heres a quote from the link.

From The Times

September 19, 2008

Calpol generation may be vulnerable to asthma and hay fever, study says

David Rose

div#related-article-links p a, div#related-article-links p a:visited {color:#06c;}Giving paracetamol-based medicines such as Calpol to babies can increase their chances of developing asthma in later life, a large international study suggests.

percy toboggan
04-Feb-09, 19:44
I had chicken-pox at 45. What a sight I was.
I have photographs somewhere.
I looked all spotty, felt rough for a day or two and itchy for two more...
and got a fortneet off work.

It's an ill wind.

changilass
04-Feb-09, 19:52
I have read the article in the times and one thing jumped out at me:-

The researchers had to rely on written answers from parents who filled in questionnaires about their children’s health and use of paracetamol, which may be subject to error.

As this is no more scientific than asking for advice on the forum, I will stick with what the doc says and give my child calpol as and when he needs it to relieve symptoms.

That does not mean that we feed him the stuff as a nightly treat, he gets it if we deem it necessary, the sooner more scientific research is done the better.

router
04-Feb-09, 20:09
I have read the article in the times and one thing jumped out at me:-

The researchers had to rely on written answers from parents who filled in questionnaires about their children’s health and use of paracetamol, which may be subject to error.

As this is no more scientific than asking for advice on the forum, I will stick with what the doc says and give my child calpol as and when he needs it to relieve symptoms.

That does not mean that we feed him the stuff as a nightly treat, he gets it if we deem it necessary, the sooner more scientific research is done the better.

so the rest of the link does not matter then, its easy to quote one tiny section of a full quote

using a single dose of paracetamol per years raises the risks of problems later on.
Ask your GP next time you go about what he knows of the use of calpol and then you can let me know. I know my gp does not prescribe it for the given reasons but as with everything else in life there is always more than one opinion on everything and it would be good to hear others opinions on the use of some medicines in children.

changilass
04-Feb-09, 20:15
The rest of the link is based on a non scientific test, as I have laready said I have been told by both GP and hospital to give him calpol and have never been told not to.

router
04-Feb-09, 20:17
The rest of the link is based on a non scientific test, as I have laready said I have been told by both GP and hospital to give him calpol and have never been told not to.

but will you ask

binbob
04-Feb-09, 20:18
so the rest of the link does not matter then, its easy to quote one tiny section of a full quote

using a single dose of paracetamol per years raises the risks of problems later on.
Ask your GP next time you go about what he knows of the use of calpol and then you can let me know. I know my gp does not prescribe it for the given reasons but as with everything else in life there is always more than one opinion on everything and it would be good to hear others opinions on the use of some medicines in children.

i have checked that calpol is JUST paracetamol and nothing else...........it does.

i think if u were to listen and affect every scare we get daily..............we would just curl up in bed and die.

i never had calpol as a child..disprol was the thing then......and developed hay fever/asthma in my 30 s..so it was not calpol that did it for me.

i think also well insulated ,windows never opened houses are partly responsible for the many causes of chest problems in children.as well as other environmental factors.sadly this is life now...kids hardly ever out playing...........it all makes sense to me.

as an ex nanny/nurse/school matron..have used calpol countless times and still would.it is really personal choice.;)

alanabain
04-Feb-09, 20:22
There cant be much wrong with calpol. Its still in the shops.

And its just a lower dose of paracetamol.

Scientific studies show that everything is wrong in one way and is good in another.

honey
04-Feb-09, 20:24
Yeah thats it! fluid filled! Cudna think o the words!

They are on his chest, legs, arms, sides, back and around his groin area!

(Thanks for the speedy response) ;)

my youngest got it when he was about that age. best get him to the docs to check it out, but they cant do much for it at his age.

Allsorts
04-Feb-09, 20:25
Calpol is used in the sick kids wards so it can't be that bad. It is only paracetamol.

router
04-Feb-09, 20:28
Thats the problem unfortunately. one gp says one thing and another says something else.
we could be NOT giving our children calpol for no reasons other than its because of the gp who recommends not to use it, but i could go to another gp who finds it ok.
It would be interesting to know if gp's across wick and thurso follow medical guides or is it just their own thoughts on this

Julia
04-Feb-09, 20:30

A paracetamol suspension is typically the same product as Calpol, it's paracetamol in a liquid form (x amount of milligrams paracetamol per milliliter of liquid), Calpol is just a brand name and always a little more expensive.

Doctors normally prescribe the genericly named medicines and not brand name medicines.

honey
04-Feb-09, 20:34
Thats the problem unfortunately. one gp says one thing and another says something else.
we could be NOT giving our children calpol for no reasons other than its because of the gp who recommends not to use it, but i could go to another gp who finds it ok.
It would be interesting to know if gp's across wick and thurso follow medical guides or is it just their own thoughts on this

my gp (in glasgow) recommends calpol/paracetamol. and when my youngest had chicken pox, the dr actually took a guide out to check the age limits for an anti-histimine, so i dont think they would leave this to chance.

shelly
x

router
04-Feb-09, 20:37
A paracetamol suspension is typically the same product as Calpol, it's paracetamol in a liquid form (x amount of milligrams paracetamol per milliliter of liquid), Calpol is just a brand name and always a little more expensive.

Doctors normally prescribe the genericly named medicines and not brand name medicines.
and aslong as you follow the dosage on the bottle there should be no reason to worry, but there are some who use it freely(not suggesting anyone here is doing that) and it is well known that people can die of a paracetamol overdose.
all i am doing is making people aware of the use of any paracetamol products in children can be dangerous, is that so bad.

alanabain
04-Feb-09, 20:41

Yea you are right... the doctor would refer to it as paracetamol suspension.

Think everone is just familiar with the brand Calpol, must most of us would probably buy the cheaper version anyway.

Its kinda like the Hoover name. Nobody seems to vacume, its always hoovering :lol:

ShelleyCowie
04-Feb-09, 20:44
If I wanted to give my son Calpol then i would. Especially if it was advised. I would never give it for no reason!!

My son seems quite content, he is happy and giggling away like normal, eating perfectly and been sleeping sound as a pound during his naps. So have not given him any calpol since this morning.

I am checking his temperature every hour (might sound rather over done but i dont care) and he is holding out fine!

And his hands seem to be in workin order for pulling my hair! Even through his scratch mitts! :lol:

Just found out his 2 older brothers have got chicken pox! It is their birthdays this weekend! :( How sad is that!! They were meant to be having a party!

And Router as i said i have a doctors appointment tomorrow. Infact i had my son at the doctor yesterday because he has had a cough and the sniffles for a while. But he told me that it was nothing and to give him a small amount of calpol before bed! When reading up on chicken pox it presents as a cough and sniffles...:confused

Moonboots
04-Feb-09, 21:41
Well Shelley everything will be fine from the DR .Org lol.
You should of just gave me a shout and i would of told you that its chickenpox but the org came to the rescue once again.

As you have already been told.. you should of got an appointment today from the doctor. At the end of the day they have to deal with infants and the elderly asap as their immune systems are lower.

Do what you are doing... check regular and watch for high temps....
Try not to let the blisters burst.

Just see the doctor 2moro
Everything will calm down eventually and he will be back to normal.

ShelleyCowie
04-Feb-09, 21:48
Well Shelley everything will be fine from the DR .Org lol.
You should of just gave me a shout and i would of told you that its chickenpox but the org came to the rescue once again.

As you have already been told.. you should of got an appointment today from the doctor. At the end of the day they have to deal with infants and the elderly asap as their immune systems are lower.

Do what you are doing... check regular and watch for high temps....
Try not to let the blisters burst.

Just see the doctor 2moro
Everything will calm down eventually and he will be back to normal.

Ahh Moonboots i need to keep u on speed dial! :lol:

I am checking the blisters regularly too til make sure they are not bursting! There is a super bad one on his chest and head. It just seems to be his face he wants to get til! I feel bad havin to stop him! But dont want him having scars at his age!!

Moonboots
04-Feb-09, 22:05
Ahh Moonboots i need to keep u on speed dial! :lol:

I am checking the blisters regularly too til make sure they are not bursting! There is a super bad one on his chest and head. It just seems to be his face he wants to get til! I feel bad havin to stop him! But dont want him having scars at his age!!

You know what it is like yourself.... when you have a cut that is healing... u want to pick at it lol....

Speed dial... i should be ur first point of contact lol...

squidge
04-Feb-09, 22:31
As a parent you just read the information available to you , decide whether its valid or can be relied upon and then make your informed decision. Thats the best thing you can do for your child.

Sounds definitely like chicken pox to me but at 4 months it could be something else. see what the Dr says tomorrow and just trust your instincts.

Venture
04-Feb-09, 23:32
Shelley you might want to try Eumocream which is suitable for babies. This stops the itching far quicker than calomine lotion and moisturises the skin, helping to prevent any scars later on. A local GP recommended this for someone I know whose child had chickenpox and it worked a treat.;)

Goldie
04-Feb-09, 23:52
oh Shelly - sounds awful - hope your lovely baby gets over this quickly

Just as a note of interest - I have two daughters 16 and 18 now - when they were babies up untill they were about 12 years - Calpol pulled them through all the childhood illnesses, one of my daughters suffered with childhood arthritis was told by a specialist to give her 1 5ml spoonful every night to stop her waking up with the pain - if you could see her now she is a healthy 5'8" and is no worse for taking calpol.

We had moved around a few times so we have had the experience of quite a few Dr's and I had never heard of any negative comments on calpol - in fact it was what they all prescribed.

Go for the sugarfree one if you are going to use it for the goodness of the teeth - even before they appear.

I hope your baby is soon better and I hope you get an appointment given to you by the DR.

PS My Dr ALWAYS gives you an appointment quickly - 99% of the time it is the same day

Good Luck

ShelleyCowie
05-Feb-09, 00:11
He still seems quite content. Happily sleeping too! :) One of the blisters on his chest has burst though! :~(

Fran
05-Feb-09, 03:43
Glad he is sleeping ok and you know whats wrong now. i would have just taken him straight to the doctor, never mind waiting for appointments. they do have emergency appointments.

butterfly
05-Feb-09, 05:09
my son was born with asthma and calpol was the only thing that the doc advised me to give him when he had a tempeture.it never did him any harm at all.if it is as bad as this report says then why is it still being sold over the counter and still being prescribed by doctors if it is so harmful.

toodiemac
05-Feb-09, 11:00
The worrying thing about Calpol is that at least 4 of the ingredients are banned in France and Australia as they are not recommended for consuption by children. Also, the colour used in Calpol Sugar Free suspension is carmoisine (E122) which can cause hyperactivity and is banned in Japan, Norway, Sweden and the United States.

What really annoys me is that Britain allows this rubbish to be in children's medicine when there are obviously safer alternatives available - those other countries have paracetamol suspension for their children too, just without all the nasties!

I know a lot of children who just go hyper after Calpol and of course if they get it at night then they can't sleep.

Just because something is sold in the chemists doesn't necessarily mean you would want your child to take it to be honest. I think some of the "own brands" of paracetamol liquid are a bit better than Calpol in terms of nasty additives (it seems to be the very worst offender) but none of them are totally free. It's a case of shopping about.

ShelleyCowie
05-Feb-09, 11:25
Well i had him at the doctors this morning. He is completely covered in spots now the poor thing but he is still a happy chappy! But was not pleased i woke him up at 8am! haha!

All i can do is use baby lotion because his skin is quite sensitive so was recommended not to use calomine lotion on him.

And Router for your sake i asked about calpol. The doc said he has never heard anything bad but i did say i was not giving it to him if he never needed it! ;)

But as i said he is happy today and asleep again! But have had to pospone his injections for 2 weeks.

Thanks for everybodys help! :Razz

Goldie
05-Feb-09, 11:31
Glad to hear the news is happier today Shelly

Here's to a speedy full recovery

Take care Mum & Babe

Cheers

BRIE
05-Feb-09, 12:07
hope the wee man is spotless soon! its not nice seeing them unwell.x

Dadie
05-Feb-09, 12:15
I used bio oil (the stuff you get for stretch marks) on Lauren and Iona when they had the pox!
And I found out that socks over Ionas hands were harder for her to pull off and if you use the thick ones scratching is v. difficult!

good luck

shame about the party

ShelleyCowie
05-Feb-09, 12:18
I used bio oil (the stuff you get for stretch marks) on Lauren and Iona when they had the pox!
And I found out that socks over Ionas hands were harder for her to pull off and if you use the thick ones scratching is v. difficult!

good luck

shame about the party

Oh i have bio oil! Doesnt seem to work on me though! :roll:

I have 3 pairs of scratch mitts on him!

It is a shame about the party but they have many more parties to come in the future years! So i went and ordered a nice bday cake from the bakery for them today!

Lets just hope the spots disappear soon! His face seems to be the worst. And all over his head! Cant even comb his hair which is long. He has his own wee mowhawk going on! Has had it since the day he was born! haha!

highlander
05-Feb-09, 12:33
Shelley years ago if a bairn had chickenpox, folk would have a party for the kids so they would all get it at the same time.

Dadie
05-Feb-09, 12:41
If the kids are not miserable you could invite their friends that have had the chicken pox round for the party!

ShelleyCowie
05-Feb-09, 12:43
If the kids are not miserable you could invite their friends that have had the chicken pox round for the party!

Well we will see tomorrow how their spots are! If they are a bit better then we will do something smaller for them! They are quite happy as long as they get cake and a toy! :D

dirdyweeker
05-Feb-09, 13:19
Glad baby has nothing other than Chickenpox even though any illness in a wee one is not nice for the carer. Am sure big boys will be happy with any birthday celebrations.....can always build a snowman!
Trust your journey was not too horendous due to the snow?

poppett
05-Feb-09, 14:41
Glad to hear things are improving for you. a `pox party..... way to go Shelley! Hope the cake is from MacDonalds.

ShelleyCowie
05-Feb-09, 14:47
What snow! :~( It was just ice!! Still is! :(

I wish it was from Macdonalds! But had to settle for Johnsons, Thurso!

We are keeping older kids entertained with Rockband just now! They are happy with that! :)

honey
05-Feb-09, 15:02
glad to hear they are all doing well Shelley. When my baby had it, he was really ill, so im keeping fingers firmly crossed yours misses that!!

Penelope Pitstop
05-Feb-09, 15:35
[quote=ShelleyBain;496219]
My partner never knew what it was because he has never seen chicken pox before! quote]

I feel sorry for him if he's not had chickenpox....the older you are when you get it the worse it is......:~( It takes soooo much longer to get over than when you're a kid.

My OH took it about 3 weeks after the kids were finished with it....boy did he know all about it......:( Far worse than man flu...lol

poppett
05-Feb-09, 16:16
Shelley, next time you need a birthday cake, go no further than Frasers and get them to order the cake from MacDonalds in Wick for you. Same price for a much nicer cake which will last longer too.

ShelleyCowie
05-Feb-09, 17:07
Shelley, next time you need a birthday cake, go no further than Frasers and get them to order the cake from MacDonalds in Wick for you. Same price for a much nicer cake which will last longer too.

I honestly never knew that! :eek: I live 2 minutes away from Frasers shop too! :~(

If only i had known! Never mind my 21st bday is comin up!!!!!! :Razz

Moonboots
05-Feb-09, 17:21
I honestly never knew that!. I live 2 minutes away from Frasers shop too!

If only i had known! Never mind my 21st bday is comin up!!!!!! :Razz

Sorry did you say 21st.... u mean 30th [lol]

Yea Frasers do the cake service.. havnt used it but heard that they are good.

ShelleyCowie
05-Feb-09, 17:23
Sorry did you say 21st.... u mean 30th [lol]

Yea Frasers do the cake service.. havnt used it but heard that they are good.

:eek: 30! I dont think so!!! I dont even want to turn 21!! lol!

Moonboots
05-Feb-09, 17:50
:eek: 30! I dont think so!!! I dont even want to turn 21!! lol!

Nor did i but now theres no stopping me... im 21 every year lol

Mind you... u sure ur not coming 30 cause u look like it hahaha

ShelleyCowie
05-Feb-09, 17:55
Nor did i but now theres no stopping me... im 21 every year lol

Mind you... u sure ur not coming 30 cause u look like it hahaha

U r just jealous moonboots!! ;) U know i look fab!!! :Razz

Moonboots
05-Feb-09, 18:06
yeah u do look like a fab lolly lol

ShelleyCowie
05-Feb-09, 19:15
yeah u do look like a fab lolly lol

....:eek: I know where u live!

Moonboots
05-Feb-09, 20:06
I know where u live [lol]

ShelleyCowie
05-Feb-09, 20:21
I know where u live [lol]

Darn!! :eek: lol

ShelleyCowie
06-Feb-09, 12:02
My poor lad! :~(

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/8504/dsc00695mo0.jpg

BRIE
06-Feb-09, 14:30
aww poor wee thing!

Ash
06-Feb-09, 15:27

he is still gorgeous!
god im broody lol :D xxx

ShelleyCowie
06-Feb-09, 15:38
haha he makes me broody too! :Razz But not for a few years...i will bring the OH round to the idea o another one!! give it time! [lol]

binbob
06-Feb-09, 15:42
The worrying thing about Calpol is that at least 4 of the ingredients are banned in France and Australia as they are not recommended for consuption by children. Also, the colour used in Calpol Sugar Free suspension is carmoisine (E122) which can cause hyperactivity and is banned in Japan, Norway, Sweden and the United States.

What really annoys me is that Britain allows this rubbish to be in children's medicine when there are obviously safer alternatives available - those other countries have paracetamol suspension for their children too, just without all the nasties!

I know a lot of children who just go hyper after Calpol and of course if they get it at night then they can't sleep.

Just because something is sold in the chemists doesn't necessarily mean you would want your child to take it to be honest. I think some of the "own brands" of paracetamol liquid are a bit better than Calpol in terms of nasty additives (it seems to be the very worst offender) but none of them are totally free. It's a case of shopping about.

paracetamol is NOT sedative.....:roll:

binbob
06-Feb-09, 15:44

awww,,bless him.:Razz

ShelleyCowie
06-Feb-09, 15:51
awww,,bless him.:Razz

I just feel so bad for him! He has no idea whats going on! :~(

He is always cheery tho!

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/5999/dsc00590xr8.jpg

hell raizer
06-Feb-09, 16:14

ahhhh the poor bairn, i hope he's better soon

binbob
06-Feb-09, 17:54
I just feel so bad for him! He has no idea whats going on! :~(

He is always cheery tho!

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/5999/dsc00590xr8.jpg
a wee teddy bear...[lol]

toodiemac
06-Feb-09, 18:41
paracetamol is NOT sedative.....:roll:

Eh? I didn't say it was.

unicorn
06-Feb-09, 18:53
awww bless, poor wee thing :confused

binbob
06-Feb-09, 21:31
Eh? I didn't say it was.

no u did not..sorry...but i do not think it is calpol given at night that makes children HYPER,Itruly think it is a case of lack of discipline...all too common nowadays.
my brothers [ now 54] used to get VERY ACTIVE AT BEDTIME[ NO CALPOL ,OF COURSE],BUT A GOOD BELLOWING FROM DAD ALWAYS SORTED THEM OUT¬!!!!![lol]

Ash
06-Feb-09, 21:37
my daughter gets really bad earache( she is waiting to get gromits) and calpol is the only thing that helps ease the pain, doesnt make her hyper, i by the chemists own brand, it helps to settle her at night when her ear is at its worst.... so im sorry but if i can ease my childs pain then i will what parent wouldnt :confused

ShelleyCowie
06-Feb-09, 21:46
Well my son (Athrun) has gone the whole day without calpol! He is really itchy though! He sits and uses me as a scratch post rubbing his face off my arms! Poor thing! And wriggling when he is lying down to get the spots on his back! Little monkey!

But he is still as cheery as u can be with chicken pox i suppose! :)

TBH
06-Feb-09, 21:55
no u did not..sorry...but i do not think it is calpol given at night that makes children HYPER,Itruly think it is a case of lack of discipline...all too common nowadays.
my brothers [ now 54] used to get VERY ACTIVE AT BEDTIME[ NO CALPOL ,OF COURSE],BUT A GOOD BELLOWING FROM DAD ALWAYS SORTED THEM OUT¬!!!!![lol]It could be all the additives that are in the food we eat that make children hyper-active, not a lack of discipline.

ShelleyCowie
06-Feb-09, 22:08
It could be all the additives that are in the food we eat that make children hyper-active, not a lack of discipline.

I am sick of reading all food packets with all these added things! Why put them in there??? Maybe if they took the additives out of chocolate and things it would taste awful so i would stop eating it! :roll: I wish eh!

But meals i really do try to cook from scratch for the kiddos! To me...it works out slightly cheaper and only takes that wee bit longer in the kitchen!

My OH's son is 5 tomorrow and if you give him a wee bit of chocolate he is bouncing off the roof for hours!! :eek:

toodiemac
06-Feb-09, 22:14
my brothers [ now 54] used to get VERY ACTIVE AT BEDTIME[ NO CALPOL ,OF COURSE],BUT A GOOD BELLOWING FROM DAD ALWAYS SORTED THEM OUT¬!!!!![lol]

Nope, sorry but it is certainly the Calpol which makes SOME children hyper. It stopped my youngest from sleeping even as a tiny baby, no discipline issues there. At least one of the additives has been proven to cause hyperactivity in some people, as well as other additives having the potential to cause undesirable effects. This is why these additives are BANNED in other countries. I have spoken to loads of parents who have exactly the same problem with Calpol - as I said some of the own brands are a wee bit better.

But, us parents are over a barrel because of COURSE we will use the stuff to ease our children's pain and to make them more comfortable. I try to buy the liquid paracetamol with the least nasty ingredients, but in Britain none of them are perfect.

TBH
06-Feb-09, 22:19
I am sick of reading all food packets with all these added things! Why put them in there??? Maybe if they took the additives out of chocolate and things it would taste awful so i would stop eating it! :roll: I wish eh!

But meals i really do try to cook from scratch for the kiddos! To me...it works out slightly cheaper and only takes that wee bit longer in the kitchen!

My OH's son is 5 tomorrow and if you give him a wee bit of chocolate he is bouncing off the roof for hours!! :eek:Cooking from scratch is okay but how do you do it. Are there any additives in the ingredients you buy?
We are all, children included, being poisoned by these chemicals that are being added to our food.

ShelleyCowie
06-Feb-09, 22:21
Cooking from scratch is okay but how do you do it. Are there any additives in the ingredients you buy?
We are all, children included, being poisoned by these chemicals that are being added to our food.

Sadly yes there are additives in some things i use! But if i compare the additives i use from making home made chicken nuggets to the frozen ones it is far less! Unfortunately there seems to be not many ways to escape the wee critters nowadays! They are used in everything!!

Unless we start our own farm!! :eek:

toodiemac
06-Feb-09, 22:37
It is so hard to get away from all the additives etc which seem to be in everything nowadays. Maybe best to just take a common sense approach and avoid them where possible, and don’t stress where it hasn’t been possible.

I think most people are now cooking much better than in the past and we are becoming much more aware of preventative healthcare, rather than just popping pills. With babies it’s easy to start them off on good food and give them a taste for the healthy stuff.

Also, avoid putting nasty additive filled creams on them and things like Johnsons baby bath in the water as their skin absorbs it all much more than an adult’s would, and it’s unbelievable what is in this stuff, and it’s potential for harm.

telfordstar
06-Feb-09, 22:42
Nope, sorry but it is certainly the Calpol which makes SOME children hyper. It stopped my youngest from sleeping even as a tiny baby, no discipline issues there. At least one of the additives has been proven to cause hyperactivity in some people, as well as other additives having the potential to cause undesirable effects. This is why these additives are BANNED in other countries. I have spoken to loads of parents who have exactly the same problem with Calpol - as I said some of the own brands are a wee bit better.

But, us parents are over a barrel because of COURSE we will use the stuff to ease our children's pain and to make them more comfortable. I try to buy the liquid paracetamol with the least nasty ingredients, but in Britain none of them are perfect.

My son has ADHD and artificial colourings are a big big no no. I was shocked to say the the least at the amount of e colours that are actually present in calpol to me it's an utter joke. I have now found an ibuprofen that agrees with him with no colourings. I did give calpol to my youngest son who is 1 and he found it hard to settle down. Thankfully more and more products are becoming avaliable which contain no artificial colours which makes my life alot easier whilst doing my shopping

TBH
06-Feb-09, 22:45
Unfortunately there seems to be not many ways to escape the wee critters nowadays! They are used in everything!! :eek:The chickens or the additives?;)

It is so hard to get away from all the additives etc which seem to be in everything nowadays. Maybe best to just take a common sense approach and avoid them where possible, and don’t stress where it hasn’t been possible.

I think most people are now cooking much better than in the past and we are becoming much more aware of preventative healthcare, rather than just popping pills. With babies it’s easy to start them off on good food and give them a taste for the healthy stuff.

Also, avoid putting nasty additive filled creams on them and things like Johnsons baby bath in the water as their skin absorbs it all much more than an adult’s would, and it’s unbelievable what is in this stuff, and it’s potential for harm.We should all make a concious decision to avoid where possible, (damn that's going to be difficult), foodstuffs that contain additives that increasing evidence proves are detrimental to our children's mental and physical health, It's perhaps too late for us owld foggies.
Damn, you can't even have tuna nowadays without being poisoned with mercury.

ShelleyCowie
06-Feb-09, 22:51
The chickens or the additives?;)

Both! :lol:

toodiemac
06-Feb-09, 22:53
Yes, thankfully things are starting to improve, but not very quickly.

Another thing which really annoys me it that we are always told to go for "sugar free" alternatives for children, in medicines and even foodstuffs. The sugar has been replaced by horrible sweeteners, many of which have been banned in America and other countries for many years because of their harmful effects. And yet, the likes of aspartame turn up EVERYWHERE. These sweeteners can have terrible effects so why are they allowed here? Children especially, but really everybody, would be much, much better off sticking to the full sugar versions, despite the risk to the teeth.

And even nasty additives which have been banned in Britain for use in foodstuffs for children under the age of three, are permitted in medicine used from tiny baby upward! Where is the sense of that?

TBH
06-Feb-09, 22:57
Yes, thankfully things are starting to improve, but not very quickly.

Another thing which really annoys me it that we are always told to go for "sugar free" alternatives for children, in medicines and even foodstuffs. The sugar has been replaced by horrible sweeteners, many of which have been banned in America and other countries for many years because of their harmful effects. And yet, the likes of aspartame turn up EVERYWHERE. These sweeteners can have terrible effects so why are they allowed here? Children especially, but really everybody, would be much, much better off sticking to the full sugar versions, despite the risk to the teeth.

And even nasty additives which have been banned in Britain for use in foodstuffs for children under the age of three, are permitted in medicine used from tiny baby upward! Where is the sense of that?Yep, replace sugar with cancer causing cyclomates. Anti-freeze tastes sweet, apparently but it's bad for you.

TBH
06-Feb-09, 22:59
Both! :lol:I will never eat a chicken raised for the supermarket, ever again.

ShelleyCowie
06-Feb-09, 23:00
I will never eat a chicken raised for the supermarket, ever again.

As i said lets start our own farm! Chickens an'all! ;)

TBH
06-Feb-09, 23:05
As i said lets start our own farm! Chickens an'all! ;)Well, someone did broach the subject of bartering. You raise the chickens and someone may supply the pigs in blankets,
I'll make the gravy.:lol:

ShelleyCowie
06-Feb-09, 23:24
Well, someone did broach the subject of bartering. You raise the chickens and someone may supply the pigs in blankets,
I'll make the gravy.:lol:

Mmmm pigs in blankets...oh wait do you mean to eat or have as a pet? [lol] Because we can just pour gravy over them to marinate them for a while!!

butterfly
06-Feb-09, 23:27
as i said earlier my son was born with asthma,calpol was all that doc could prescribe because ibuprofen and the likes would make him gasp for air.true calpol has sweeteners added but the alternatives were not an option in his case.there are a lot more children with asthma these days and in my sons case it was hereditary.when my son had a cold his asthma flared up and made him ill but once he recieved a small dose of calpol he would soon settle for a peaceful night,i never found that it made him hyper.asthmatics are limited when it comes to painkillers because of whats in them.paracetemal was always the safest bet regarding my son.ibuprofen,disprin,aspirin etc can be fatal for an asthmatic.:(

toodiemac
06-Feb-09, 23:39
as i said earlier my son was born with asthma,calpol was all that doc could prescribe because ibuprofen and the likes would make him gasp for air.true calpol has sweeteners added but the alternatives were not an option in his case.there are a lot more children with asthma these days and in my sons case it was hereditary.when my son had a cold his asthma flared up and made him ill but once he recieved a small dose of calpol he would soon settle for a peaceful night,i never found that it made him hyper.asthmatics are limited when it comes to painkillers because of whats in them.paracetemal was always the safest bet regarding my son.ibuprofen,disprin,aspirin etc can be fatal for an asthmatic.:(

Totally agree that as parents we would just do anything to make our kids okay, and if it works for you then of course do it.

A word of caution though, two of the ingredients in Calpol are contraindicated for asthmasics;

E122 Azorubine, Carmoisine.
A synthetic red dye which can produce bad reactions in asthmatics and people allergic to aspirin. Banned in Sweden, USA, Austria and Norway.

E216 Propyl para-hydroxybenzoate.
Preservative. Possible contact allergen and potentially dangerous to asthmatics.

Obviously they had no effect on your little one, but very useful to know for anybody else using it for asthmatic children.

TBH
06-Feb-09, 23:40
Mmmm pigs in blankets...oh wait do you mean to eat or have as a pet? [lol] Because we can just pour gravy over them to marinate them for a while!!I reckon they would enjoy being marinated. What a treat for them before they ended up in our ovens.[lol]

ShelleyCowie
07-Feb-09, 00:37
I reckon they would enjoy being marinated. What a treat for them before they ended up in our ovens.[lol]

Yummy! This is sounding good!

I have just been diagnosed with Asthma at 20...how mad is that! And i have been on pain killers for a long time and lots of other medications that when taking them made me feel worse but docs never knew why! So eventually they diagnosed my asthma! Now im on a long course of steroids and feel pretty good! better than i have in a while actually!

But finding out im asthmatic it is really really restricded as to what i can take! Its like being pregnant again! :roll: Was on pain killers the whole pregnancy and glued to paracetomol because it was all i was allowed!

Dadie
07-Feb-09, 01:17
*sigh*
you are allowed one course of treatment and then its denied cause you are pregnant/breastfeeding and new research denies you that treatment now.... how are you supposed to live in the 2000th centurary??? with treatments being ok 1 minute then not the next!
And dont get me started on childhood illnessess please!

sweetpea
07-Feb-09, 01:28
When I had the pox as a bairn my nana put my sister and 2 cousins and a neighbour in for a pj party with me so they would all get it at the same time:eek:
Hope we have moved on from this?

ShelleyCowie
07-Feb-09, 10:18
His spots are looking a bit better today in places! :D Hopefully it wont be long til he gets better!

My OH's sons bday party was meant to be today but had to be cancelled so instead we are all gathering for cake and tea! They are happy with that!

Mmmmm cake! Cant wait!

Liz
07-Feb-09, 13:28
Glad your wee boy is on the mend.

He is a real wee cutie. What a smile!

Enjoy the cake.:D

ShelleyCowie
07-Feb-09, 13:39
Glad your wee boy is on the mend.

He is a real wee cutie. What a smile!

Enjoy the cake.:D

Im glad too! At least he is still giggly! And today he started sitting up on his own properly! :Razz

cant wait for the cake! Looks so tasty!!!!!!!!!!!

grumpy1
07-Feb-09, 18:01

yeah they can my daughter was 5mths when she first had them..the good thing is they are too little to know to scratch so it reduces the risk of scarring...i would get the weeone checked to be on the safe side..

ShelleyCowie
07-Feb-09, 19:21
yeah they can my daughter was 5mths when she first had them..the good thing is they are too little to know to scratch so it reduces the risk of scarring...i would get the weeone checked to be on the safe side..

Yeah i did get him checked! All i can do is put some baby lotion on him and stop him scratching!

He is quite happy though! Sleeping at the moment.

Also....cake was mighty GOOD today! :D