PDA

View Full Version : But that was yesterday.....

scotsboy
09-Feb-06, 15:44
Any comments on this article which appeared in the Daily Telegraph?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2006/01/01/do0102.xml

Well, did you? Did you sing it? Worse, did you put on a kilt and sing it? Worst of all, did you drink half a bottle of malt whisky and sing it? I am referring, of course, to Robert Burns's Auld Lang Syne. No song - not even Lennon and McCartney's Yesterday - can match its status as an authentically global anthem.

Last night, as the bells struck midnight to usher in the New Year in one time zone after another, many millions of people sang it, beginning in Auckland and ending in Alaska.

Only a tiny minority will have sung it in tune, but what the hell. The wonderful thing about Auld Lang Syne is that it is free. There is no Burns Foundation to collect a royalty as we belt it out. Nor does anyone care if we get the words wrong, since hardly anyone knows what Auld Lang Syne actually means (Old Long Since).

All that matters is to get what Burns what have termed "fou and unco happy" - in other words, thoroughly inebriated - to hold hands with perfect strangers and to raise the rafters.

Whatever else 2006 may bring, whatever unknowns the future may hold, a Scottish Hogmanay makes one thing absolutely certain: the New Year will start with a fearful hangover. God knows I have had a few of those. But not this year. No, this year has started differently for me. No Auld Lang Syne. No kilt. And no whisky.

To be absolutely sure of escaping my Caledonian heritage, I have fled south - to Cape Town, no less. And as you read this, the only headache I am worrying about is the one I risk getting if I spend too long in the golden summer sun.

Yes, I have finally reached the parting of the ways as all of us Scots emigrants do. We go through a long period, which can last up to 20 years, of telling whoever will listen that Scotland is God's Own Country; that its Highland scenery is matchless; that its people invented all that is worth preserving in the modern world - Scotch, golf, economic liberalism, penicillin, television and, er, Scotch - and that it is only a cruel fate that consistently robs its sporting representatives of the resounding victories to which they are entitled by dint of Scotland's proud history.

Yes, that was me, practically from the moment I got on the train from Glasgow to Oxford in 1980-something. For two decades I consistently and tiresomely corrected any Englishman or woman, my wife included, who dared to confuse the terms "English" and "British".

I banged on incessantly and tediously about the superiority of Scottish education, Scottish law, Scottish rugby, Scottish water, Scottish tweed, Scottish holidays - you name it. I quoted Burns. I quoted Carlyle. I quoted the statistics that showed that Scottish regiments were the ones that did the real fighting in the First World War.

Now, this wasn't behaviour attributable to an inferiority complex. That would have been forgivable. But the Scottish problem is the opposite. As a nation we are cursed with a superiority complex. We really do believe that we are better - not just better than the English; better than everyone.

We regard it as only right and proper that the world sees in the New Year by singing a Scottish song. We take it for granted that half the broadcasters on the BBC are Scotsmen. We don't envy the English. We pity them. There is no Scottish cringe, in the Australian fashion. There is only the Scottish swagger - a swagger inspired by the authentically Calvinist certainty that we and only we (by which of course I mean we White Aggressively Scottish Protestant males) are the Elect.

Well, it really is time to bin all that and face up to some harsh realities - realities which I think moving from England to the United States has made it easier for me to acknowledge.

1. Scotland is a small, sparsely populated appendage of England. Those who called it 'North Britain' in the 18th century had it right.

2. The weather is impossibly wet.

3. Most of the land north of Loch Lomond is barren rock.

4. Scotland lost its political independence 300 years ago and the creation of a Scottish Parliament, a glorified county council housed in a risible and over-priced folly of a building, has not restored it.

5. Educational standards in Scotland, once the highest in Europe, have - with a few exceptions - collapsed.

6. When it comes to sport - and I do not count the one decent tennis player - Scotland is the Belarus of the West.

7. In fact, when it comes to just about everything, it is the Belarus of the West.

8. That is why so many Scots emigrate. As I did.

This is not to say that there were not once things about Scotland that were truly wonderful. The country's transition from a theocratic Reformation to a bountifully creative Enlightenment was one of the great makeovers of modern history. The point is that (in the words of a mawkish song all Scotsmen know) "Those days are gone now / And in the past they must remain."

It's over. Over the way countries are sometimes just over. Over the way Prussia is over. Over the way Piedmont is over. Over the way the Papal States are over. Or, if you prefer, over the way General Motors will soon be over.

My modest proposal for 2006 is quite simple. The country hitherto known as Scotland should go into liquidation. The assets, such as they are, should be broken up, sold off and the proceeds (which won't fetch much) distributed to the creditors and, if anything remains, to the shareholders.

The Scottish Parliament should be wound up and its ridiculous building turned into a multiplex cinema or a shopping mall. The Scottish Football Association should be taken over by its English counterpart and Rangers and Celtic should go where they belong, which is pretty near the bottom of the Premier League.

The Scots can keep their accents, just as Yorkshiremen keep theirs. They can keep their lawyers, too; I would hate to send any more business the way of those fat London barristers. But the idea that Scotland might one day "be a nation again" should simply be dropped. We had our chance, when everyone else in Europe had it, in the 19th and 20th centuries. But we calculated that the Union and the Empire were a better bet than independence. Well, live with it.

And before you Scottish readers inundate me with incandescent emails and letters, let me remind you that good old Rabbie Burns would not necessarily have disagreed. Burns was too universal a man ever to be consistently a Scottish nationalist; he alternated between half-cut Braveheart mode ("Scots Wha Hae Wi' Wallace Bled") and deep cynicism ("Such a parcel of rogues in a nation!"). He too earned his crust from the British state, making sure that Ayr's "honest men and bonnie lasses" paid their excise tax. He too contemplated emigration, nearly taking a job on a plantation in Jamaica.

Yes, Burns understood the Scottish condition even better than he understood the human condition, which was well. The best of Scotland, like "Old Lang Syne", belongs to the world; it refuses to be confined to the bleak lands north of the Tweed. It's the rest of Scotland I can do without. Frankly, it's the one "old acquaintance" I'll be happy to see "forgot" this sunny, Southern New Year.

JAWS
09-Feb-06, 16:29
After I confessed my origins there is only one comment I dare make, "It Wos Nae Meee!"

squidge
09-Feb-06, 16:32
I forwarded this to a very scottish friend of mine who said

"That's well written and inflammatory.
And he's right. Scotland will NEVER be a nation again because there are too
many people like him all too keen to capitulate at the first hurdle!"

I tend to agree

and i have no idea why my font is suddenly small!!!!!

landmarker
09-Feb-06, 16:35
If an Englander is allowed to comment.....To be honest I'm not sure if the man is serious. He comes across as a bit of a smart alex.

The weather is wet, but then water is a 'geeft from God' (a black African fork lift truck driver once told me) He was right. Wars will be fought over water in the distant future.

Most of the land north of Loch Lomond is incredibly beautiful, and under populated. I regard this as a plus.

Sport, and tennis are of no consequence. Anyway, I'm old enough to remember Bremner, Law, and the ever so slightly over rated Jim Baxter.

I realise many Scots emigrate but then, that leaves room for plenty of incomers, most of whom adore the place. This is one thing that might pass the odd resentful Scot by, the English who decide to defy logic and move north really do have enormous affection for your country.

Beam me up. I think it's the finest place on earth though I haven't been everywhere yet.

JAWS
09-Feb-06, 17:33
Scotland? It's so awful I just can't believe it!
I'm just going to have to spend the rest of eternity here trying to convince myself! ;)

And seeing the chap in the paper mentions Yorkshire Accents I can't help wondering ........! Nah, he couldn't be, could he? :confused:

scotsboy
09-Feb-06, 17:56
It was penned by this guy:

http://www.niallferguson.org/

I think he is deadly serious, I actually agree with a lot of what he says.

DrSzin
09-Feb-06, 18:53
Ha ha, it's Niall Ferguson writing about Niall Ferguson -- a smart independent thinker who likes the sight of his own words in print. And who can blame him? Sometimes he's spot on; sometimes he indulges in flights of fancy, and occasionally his purposely-penned prose seems designed mainly to stir the hackles; usually it's hard to tell which is which. Only he knows -- well, maybe he knows...

I wish I was as smart as he is, and I wish I could write like he does. But I don't think I'd come over in quite the disdainful way he does. I should work harder and publish more like he does. He is awesome in that respect. Oh, and did I say he was smart too?

Long may he remain in Cambridge MA -- I bet they love him there...

scotsboy
09-Feb-06, 18:56
Just been reading some of his stuff - he has written a fair bit. Never heard of him before - but I had heard about the Empire book, may give that a read.

He certainly seems to be the darling of the US of A and has been named as one of Time magazines 100 top people or whatever. I think they like the idea of having their Empire.

Do you know/have you met him Doc?

DrSzin
09-Feb-06, 19:07
Yes, I believe he's very popular in the USA, but he's no stooge -- he's critical of many of Bush's policies, for example.

I haven't read any of his books but I've read a good few of his newspaper columns over the years. And, no, I don't know him and I haven't met him.

Saveman
09-Feb-06, 19:08
I have only one comment to make on this: His loss.

scotsboy
09-Feb-06, 19:11
I didn't/don't think he is a stooge Doc - he appears to full of own self belief for that.

willowbankbear
09-Feb-06, 20:22
Thats 1 less on Jack Mcconnell or Joke McConnells Xmas card list then eh???

canuck
10-Feb-06, 06:59
Where I come from, when we talk about visiting the "Holy Land" we really mean Scotland.

I believe that it was Jack McConnell who spoke to a gathering of ex-pat Scots in Toronto last fall about returning to the land of their parents and grandparents. The "Scottish Diaspora" is the term that was used in our newspaper. I didn't attend, but I was intrigued! And I now have my grandfather's birth certificate from Edinburgh. It's a first step!

scotsboy
10-Feb-06, 09:52
Joke McConnell, a shining example of Scottish politics.

canuck
10-Feb-06, 21:39
scotsboy, I hear you and I shall keep listening to all of the chatter around this subject.