PDA

View Full Version : Help wanted

robbain
04-Feb-09, 10:06
I have accidentally drop my laptop it landed on the side of disk drive, unable to open the disk drive

S&LHEN
04-Feb-09, 10:38
Try putting a knife in the top of the slot once you have pressed open keep trying till you manage if it doesnt open dont try and force it.

blueivy
04-Feb-09, 11:22
I have accidentally drop my laptop it landed on the side of disk drive, unable to open the disk drive

Do you mean the CD drive or the floppy drive (I assume the CD drive but thought I should check)?

If it is the CD drive, look at it and you will see a little hole. Bend a paperclip straight and push it into the hole and you will a little resistance - keep pushing, gently, and it will release the lock on the drive. Do NOT put a knife in to force it open (as S&LHEN confirmed you shouldn't do) as you will break the drive lock.

If it's jammed by the case then the paperclip will release the drive lock but you might still not be able to get the drive physically open. You could use a knife or screwdriver once it's been released to gently prize it open.

robbain
04-Feb-09, 22:00
Blueivy, thank you, just a quick query, I have a Toshiba Satellie L100-200, I think the CD/DVD RW may be damage, is it easy to replace the internal CD/DVD RW has it be toshiba or can another type.

blueivy
05-Feb-09, 18:48
Blueivy, thank you, just a quick query, I have a Toshiba Satellie L100-200, I think the CD/DVD RW may be damage, is it easy to replace the internal CD/DVD RW has it be toshiba or can another type.

If you want to replace the drive then your best bet is to get the part number (it's will be on the drive somewhere if you pop it out of the laptop) and then get a replacement drive. You *may* (and I stress *may*) be able to get an alternative, non-Toshiba, drive that will work but you will only know that once you have the part number of the drive.

An alternative is to buy a USB external drive and use that instead. You should be able to get one for maybe £30-£40 which will be a lot cheaper than a replacement drive for the laptop.