PDA

View Full Version : Got this email makes you think??

S&LHEN
04-Feb-09, 09:40
NOW THIS ONE IS GREAT !!!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL THE KIDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE
1920's, 30's 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's !!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us and lived in houses made of asbestos.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes or cervical cancer.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets or shoes, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking .

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a Ute on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

Take away food was limited to fish and chips, no pizza shops, McDonalds, KFC, Subway or Red Rooster.

Even though all the shops closed at6.00pm and didn't open on the weekends, somehow we didn't starve to death!

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We could collect old drink bottles and cash them in at the corner store and buy fruit tingles and some crackers to blow up frogs with.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soft drinks with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because....

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. We built tree houses and cubby houses and played in creek beds with matchbox cars.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound,no mobile phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms.......... WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no

Lawsuits from these accidents

Only girls had pierced ears!

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

You could only buy Easter Eggs and Hot Cross buns at Easter time.......no really!

We were given BB guns and sling shots for our 10th birthdays,

We drank milk laced with Strontium 90 from cows that had eaten grass covered in nuclear fallout from the atomic testing at Maralinga in 1956.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Mum didn't have to go to work to help dad make ends meet!

Footy had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

Our teachers used to belt us with big sticks and leather staps and bully'salways ruled the playground at school.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of.They actually sided with the law!

Our parents got married before they had children and didn't invent stupid names for their kids like 'Kiora' and 'Blade'

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever

The past 70 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned

HOW TO

DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them!

CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

And while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!

anneoctober
04-Feb-09, 10:57
Hey, this email must mean that I AM a heroine AND Supernana.....[lol]
Woooooooooooo Hoooooooooooo

teenybash
04-Feb-09, 11:02
Those were the days when kids were allowed to be kids.......todays society and governments have a lot to answer for...............

router
04-Feb-09, 12:43
were you born in any of the eras.:D

taylor.4
04-Feb-09, 14:27
That brings back alot of old memories :lol::lol:,

butterfly
04-Feb-09, 14:49
brings back memories,you dont see kids playing in the street anymore and if they do some nomark would complain about the noise![lol]those were the days,we were happy and healthy and didnt want for nothing:lol:

kriklah
04-Feb-09, 17:01
hey, i just manage to get in there as a 70s baby, i remember those days!!!!!

Goldie
04-Feb-09, 18:42
Oh yes - and if you had a clip round the ear from a teacher or the local policeman - you wouldn't tell your mum and dad because they would have given you another one! :confused

And No I never got in trouble - it was just another thing to add to the list!

Cheers

unicorn
04-Feb-09, 18:48
And if you got up to no good someone always told you parents,,, without fear of getting a black eye :eek:

honey
04-Feb-09, 18:57
with apologies to all the folk in the Springpark area...

we used to play "skive the gardens" which consisted of us jumping over their fences and sprinting through their back gardens.. in the pitch dark..

still lived to tell the tale...

Gizmo
04-Feb-09, 19:32
Staxigoe in the 70/80's was the best place to grow up, we used to play in the old barns at the top of the harbour, they were dangerous but fun, and if Sandy Munro(r.i.p) caught you in them you got his size 10 steel toe capped boots in yer erse, my mate got electrocuted after swinging on a cable in the barn, he fair burnt e skin off his hands, nobody got sued or charged with anything and my mate got a hammering from his mither for being an edjit.

When all the older houses got clad with a second skin of bricks the building site became our new playground and the scaffolding was the best climbing frame ever, we all fell off at some point, i gave myself concussion from falling off, nobody got sued or charged with anything, i also fell on some steel mesh for concrete while running through my mates garden which was a building site at the time, it went right through my Doc Martens and right through my foot, nobody got sued or charged with anything, i got stitched up and then got a hammering from ma mither for being an edjit.

A bunch of my friends (about 6 of them) were on the back of a small massey ferguson tractor down at the harbour, it tipped over the harbour wall and catapulted all of them on to the stones below, nobody got sued or charged with anything, and i think they all got hammered fae thur mithers for being edjits :lol:

Ahhhhhh...those were the days ;)

S&LHEN
04-Feb-09, 20:11
Excellent memories. I loved playing outside, these days I have to tell my kids to go out all they want to do is play the ps3 and watch tv.
Their new bikes are already rusty and bits broken here and there from being thrown down. ARG I used to appreciate and look after what I got. Kids have changed so much through the years and not for the better:roll:
I mind getting a good few smacks and for the slightest thing!! But with my own kids they do the odd bad thing but im scared to smack them because theres now always a busy body somewhere who ll report you!!
The worlds gone mad.
:(

Tugmistress
04-Feb-09, 21:20
memory lane indeed!
i hardly ever saw inside my nana's house on a weekend (i stayed there every weekend and school holiday) whatever the weather, we'd either gone off in the tent somewhere, usually dalby forest area, where i would go climbing trees, cycle round the forest paths, fall out of trees, fall off my bike, i don't think i ever had a day where i didn't have a scabby knee or elbow or something. if we weren't out in the tent i would be off down the river bank with my mates either fishing for eels (YUK!) or wandering through the fields to see where we came out, jumping the brooks, falling in, getting soaked, getting muddy, drying out with time if it wasn't sunny. ... playing tag rugby in the village streets, all ages together from 6 to 15 i believe it was, only tag usually turned out full contact during the game and on freshly gritted roads too! i remember wearing no shoes in summer, being out for hours, coming back in and thrown in the bath 'cos i was black lol
got plenty a whallop round the back of my thigh for being out after dark too lol
the kids are missing out on great times i reckon, sad times these have turned in to.

m.coghill
04-Feb-09, 21:47
Who's for a game of Levo or manhunt?.

do de do
04-Feb-09, 22:36
Or British Bulldogs??? Or Elastics???

Excellent posting, bought back a fair few memories.
Dodedo

Whitewater
04-Feb-09, 23:06
I was born in Grove Lane, Thurso, during the early 40s. Great place to live and grow up. Daily vists to the beach and harbour, fishing off the black steps in front of the fish mart, fell in many times during the summer, but never went home until my cloths dried otherwise I would have been in big trouble. Taught myself to ride my big brothers bike, used to pinch it regularly. Bathing in the salmon pool, playing tennis and putting. Winters were spent sledging, playing table tennis and badmington. Only time my mother got worried was when I didn't go out, she used to think I was either ill or had done something bad and didn't want to be caught. My wife also had the same type of upbringing, but she just fell of horses rather than into the harbour, her summer days were mainly spent swimming in the Trinkie and winters playing badmington.
We used to do all that and still find time to do well at school, although I must admit I could have probably done better had I cut out some of the activities.
Unfortunately it is changed days now. Don't think I would like to be a kid today, but I must admit my grandsons are all enjoying it, too many activities at times. But I guess they are maybe fortunate in the fact that their parents were always encouraged by my wife and myself to live as active a life as possible and they seem to have passed it on to their children. But I think perhaps that an active life is also part of your genetic make up, because even when growing up I used to find some kids were not interested in anything that involved physical activity.
I guess the main thing in my young days was the lack of Health and Safety. There was nothing in place to tell us a particular activity was not safe.

S&LHEN
04-Feb-09, 23:10
Oh my goodness I forgot about british bulldogs what fun that was!!! Im definatly up for a game... So when are we all meeting?? and in which playground or whos garden:lol::lol::lol: HAPPY DAYS

Angel
04-Feb-09, 23:10
Imagine not being able to post that email...

Angel

dirdyweeker
04-Feb-09, 23:41
Great reminders. Have actually printed it off for an 86 year old as she always goes on about the 'old days' being so good.
Brought back memories of the days in my youth playing 'kick-e-cannie' in Robertson Square and 'fishing' for minnows at the Newton Burn. Summer holidays meant 'drindle' skirts and 'jelly' shoes. The summers seemed hotter years ago!

honey
05-Feb-09, 15:04
what about jumping of the esplanade onto the beach (at the harbour end). cant do that now with the barrier up... probably just as well, im surprised we didnt get broken ankles from that passtime!