PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts and prayers please

Sarah
04-Feb-09, 00:00
My 13.5 year old greyhound, Breagha has gradually 'aged' in the last couple of weeks, starting to fall down quite a lot, lost her appetite and is just generally looking very tired. She's been having wobbles on and off for a year now, but today she had a full blown fit, foaming, wet herself and was shaking. It was very frightening. Since it, she is sore, it shows, and we have made a vets appointment for tomorrow. My parents both think its time to let her go, and although I will agree if there's nothing else that can be done, I'm still going to ask if there's anything more to be done. :(

She has been doing really well up until recently. It's been over a year since she was diagnosed with liver and kidney failure, but we do think it caught up with her now. She's losing her zest for life.

Please keep her in your thoughts/prayers if you can. I am dreading tomorrow.

carasmam
04-Feb-09, 00:04
Aah Sarah, I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. I sincerely hope the vet can help her, but you'll make right decision, as hard as it is, if you have to.
Hugs to you and Breagha {{ }}

DeHaviLand
04-Feb-09, 02:13
So sorry to hear this Sarah. Having recently lost 2 of my dogs within a 6 week period, I know how hard it can be to have to make the decision. However, you will know instinctively what is right, so trust your instincts. Good luck for tomorrow, and I sincerely hope the vet can give you some good news.

Fran
04-Feb-09, 02:31
So saddened to read this, she looks so lovely and alert in the picture. i will be thinking about you tomorrow. I'm looking at my dog and wondering how I would cope if anything happened to him, i just wouldnt.

teenybash
04-Feb-09, 02:57
:~(...My heart goes out to you and I understand the turmoil you must be going through...bless you and Breagh and I will pray that something can be done so that she can stay with you a while longer. Hugs to you both...:~(

binbob
04-Feb-09, 11:41
awwww,sarah..so sorry,breagha is a very good age..she has a great life with u.u will know what to do .
thinking of u both,take care.

Liz
04-Feb-09, 13:11
Sarah I am heart sorry that Breagha is ill and, like the others, I hope and pray that the Vets will be able to help so you can have longer with your lovely lass.

All of us know the pain you are going through right now and are here for you.

Take care xxx

dragonfly
04-Feb-09, 13:27
Sarah so sorry to hear about your dog, you will be in my thoughts (and I'm certainly praying like mad myself just now)

Sarah
04-Feb-09, 19:33
I am so very happy to report that my little old lady is still with us, and sleeping at my feet. She had a bad night, a lot of crying out in pain, and by this morning, 6am, we were certain it was going to be the end. She lay there, and I actually prepared myself to say goodbye. I did a lot of crying this morning.

However between 6am and 10am (vets apointment) she seemed to brighten up somewhat, and although still in pain when getting up, she is able to get up and was wagging http://pets-n-people.net/vb/images/smilies/smile.gif

This was the first time we had met the vet here, and she was lovely, Breagha seemed to really like her. She thouroughly checked her over, and took some blood. She said she's also going to speak to our old vet. The pain when getting up seemed to be coming from her neck, the vet thinks Breagha must have sprained a muscle in her neck/shoulder area during the fit yesterday.

She's reluctant to give her anything yet, the blood tests should be back by Friday, next Wednesday at the latest. If any more fits occur, she will prescribe something, for just now, she's happy for Breagha to just stay on her k/d food.

You have no idea how great I felt when I heard this, I really was expecting the worst. Breagha seems fine in herself now, other than when moving her neck, she's waggy and even up for a little walk earlier. http://pets-n-people.net/vb/images/smilies/smile.gif

Todd's been affected by it though, he saw the fit yesterday, and he's not been himself since. I don't know what he'll be like when the time does come, poor boy.

Liz
04-Feb-09, 19:41
I am so glad your darling Breagha is still with you and that she is doing okay.If you could get some Arnica this could really help her neck.

Poor Todd! Do you have any Rescue Remedy as this may help?

Keeping Breagha in my prayers.

Our pets are so precious!

majic
04-Feb-09, 19:50
i have a greyhound that i rescued at a two year old he was unable to race due to a neck prob maybe that is one of there faults (but he is a big wimp)

blondscot
04-Feb-09, 20:09
Im so glad that your dog is still with you:)
I have 2 dogs , 15yr springer and 11yr alsation who i know
will not be with me for very much longer but the decision to
take them to the vets is so very difficult to make:(

teenybash
04-Feb-09, 20:33
So glad Breagh looks to be okay.........a nice neck massage is in order me thinks.:D

carasmam
04-Feb-09, 22:51
Glad things went ok at the vets. When you expected the worse it must have been such a relief. Hopefully a wee bit of pampering and she'll be right as rain :)

cazmanian_minx
05-Feb-09, 14:02
How is she today, Sarah? On the mend, I hope.

Sarah
05-Feb-09, 17:05
Thanks you guys :) she's doing great today. As soon as she went out this morning for a wee and discovered the snow on the ground she went bonkers, she's like a different dog to the one who couldn't walk on Tuesday! She loves snow. Her neck is much better, no more howling, just a slight wimper now and again.

dousslesh
05-Feb-09, 17:17
Excellent news !

cuddlepop
05-Feb-09, 18:10
Thanks you guys :) she's doing great today. As soon as she went out this morning for a wee and discovered the snow on the ground she went bonkers, she's like a different dog to the one who couldn't walk on Tuesday! She loves snow. Her neck is much better, no more howling, just a slight wimper now and again.

Thats great news.:D

dragonfly
05-Feb-09, 18:28
great news Sarah, hope she goes from strength to strength

teenybash
05-Feb-09, 18:35
Happy, happy for you and Breagh..............glad she enjoyed her fun in the snow. It probably has done her more good than anyone knows.:)

Liz
05-Feb-09, 18:55
That is brilliant news Sarah!!!:D

Give her a big hug from me.

Iffy
05-Feb-09, 19:06
Heres all my best wishes and every good thought to you and your "bairn" Many XXXXXX's and (((((((HUGS))))))))) to you all xx

cazmanian_minx
06-Feb-09, 08:55
Great news!