PDA

View Full Version : Idle and Unemployed

sweetpea
03-Feb-09, 23:17
Everyone goes on about people that won't work but what about folk that want to but can't get jobs?
What about employers who exploit under 18's (employing everyone at 16 and when they turn 17 or 18 paying them off cos it's cheaper) or guidelines from the government that work against the most poorley afffected in this country.
People are striking, Are we the EU or not? Foreign Worker's?

theone
04-Feb-09, 00:12
Everyone goes on about people that won't work but what about folk that want to but can't get jobs?
What about employers who exploit under 18's (employing everyone at 16 and when they turn 17 or 18 paying them off cos it's cheaper) or guidelines from the government that work against the most poorley afffected in this country.

I find it hard to believe that anyone who really wants to work can't. If I found myself out of work tomorrow, even if I couldn't find a job in my trade, I believe I would have a job within a month. It might be shop work, bar keeping or labouring but I'm sure I could find it.

I don't know what "guidelines" you mean but if you're talking about the strikes involving foreign labour that's a totally different debate than the "Want to work, can't find work" one.

ett23
04-Feb-09, 00:26
I find it hard to believe that anyone who really wants to work can't. If I found myself out of work tomorrow, even if I couldn't find a job in my trade, I believe I would have a job within a month. It might be shop work, bar keeping or labouring but I'm sure I could find it.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. It's all down to qualifications and how you get on with interviews and how many people applied and although there might be plenty of jobs advertised I have 2 friends who've been job-hunting for several months - one who finished college summer last year and they've still not got jobs!!! Sometimes it's not for want of trying....

Gizmo
04-Feb-09, 00:38

That post just goes to show that you have never found yourself out of work before, in the 22yrs since i left school i have been out of work 3 times for a total of 3 years, each and every time i was very actively seeking employment but let me tell you this...it ain't as easy as you seem to think, i don't really get bothered by things i read on here, but your post annoyed me with it's ignorant viewpoint, i have been out of work for 13 months now and i have never seen it so barren on the available job front, nearly everything is for skilled workforce, and for the jobs that are not skilled the competition is fierce.

butterfly
04-Feb-09, 01:31
That post just goes to show that you have never found yourself out of work before, in the 22yrs since i left school i have been out of work 3 times for a total of 3 years, each and every time i was very actively seeking employment but let me tell you this...it ain't as easy as you seem to think, i don't really get bothered by things i read on here, but your post annoyed me with it's ignorant viewpoint, i have been out of work for 13 months now and i have never seen it so barren on the available job front, nearly everything is for skilled workforce, and for the jobs that are not skilled the competition is fierce.

well i would agree with you,and its no gonna get any easier now with this recession.i would like to change jobs but there is not much out there just now.....:(

JAWS
04-Feb-09, 01:44
I find it hard to believe that anyone who really wants to work can't. If I found myself out of work tomorrow, even if I couldn't find a job in my trade, I believe I would have a job within a month. It might be shop work, bar keeping or labouring but I'm sure I could find it. That makes the assumption that anybody who is out of work is to bone idle to try and get a job.
I suspect there are a large number of people out there who are desperate to find work who would find your suggestion highly offensive.

I very much doubt that there are many people out there who decide they would rather have their family thrown out of their home by having it repossessed than be bothered to try and find a job.

theone
04-Feb-09, 03:29
I wouldn't be so sure about that. It's all down to qualifications and how you get on with interviews and how many people applied and although there might be plenty of jobs advertised I have 2 friends who've been job-hunting for several months - one who finished college summer last year and they've still not got jobs!!! Sometimes it's not for want of trying....

I'm not going to argue, qualifications are important, but I don't think the lack of them would stop you getting work.

I wish your friends well seeking work, but what did they study? If it's a skill in demand the'd be in work by now.

theone
04-Feb-09, 03:36
That makes the assumption that anybody who is out of work is to bone idle to try and get a job.
I suspect there are a large number of people out there who are desperate to find work who would find your suggestion highly offensive.

I very much doubt that there are many people out there who decide they would rather have their family thrown out of their home by having it repossessed than be bothered to try and find a job.

I'm sorry Jaws, I'm not trying to make assumptions about anyone, especially those losing homes etc.

I just believe, rightly or wrongly, I could find work in Caithness if I needed to.

theone
04-Feb-09, 03:43

Why not learn a skill? Get away from "unskilled" employment.

If you've spent 13 months unemployed you'd qualify for grants.

An NVQ in catering would line you up for a job in a hotel.

An NC in Administration would offer you a job in an office.

I work offshore with previously unqualified guys earning £30-£40k sums because they've enrolled on 4 week rigging or NDT courses. These people are very much in demand.

I never wanted to "dig" at anyone.

butterfly
04-Feb-09, 04:15
well,your optimistic,i will say that,or just lucky!:D

hotrod4
04-Feb-09, 08:02
Seeing it from both sides of the coin , there are NO jobs out there. I was unemployed for 9 months and thats how long it took me to find new employment. i HAVE a skilled trade but that didnt help if there are no jobs in YOUR trade!!! I applied for absolutely everything,sent CV's off etc but that didnt help. if anyone says they could walk straight into another job, I can say from Experience you CANt!!!! Its alright being "skilled" at something but if there are no vacancies there are no vacancies. i checked jobcentreplus one day and there were 2 vacancies for the whole of Caithness!!!! I phoned both of them. the first one was answered by someone from eastern europe who could barely speak English!!!! Told her why I was phoning and she gave me the boss' mobile number. Phoned it got no answer and left a message. He didnt even get back to me!! Called the business again and got my favourite eastern european woman AGAIN, who tried to tell me that she couldnt contact the owner as he was sleeping!!!!!.
How can anyone get a job with Employers that employ people with little language skills and an owner who wont get out of his bed?

Luckily I got the 2nd one and I'm not letting it go for anyone!!!:eek:

S&LHEN
04-Feb-09, 09:29
I disagree theres no jobs going just now and when you apply for them the employer doesnt even have the decency to say sorry you never got the job.I wish the people that says there is go out there and get one because I think they ll realise then that theres really is none.
I think up here its nothing to do with qualifications. It comes down to Who you know and not what you know.:(

anneoctober
04-Feb-09, 11:15
Seeing it from both sides of the coin , there are NO jobs out there. I was unemployed for 9 months and thats how long it took me to find new employment. i HAVE a skilled trade but that didnt help if there are no jobs in YOUR trade!!! I applied for absolutely everything,sent CV's off etc but that didnt help. if anyone says they could walk straight into another job, I can say from Experience you CANt!!!! Its alright being "skilled" at something but if there are no vacancies there are no vacancies. i checked jobcentreplus one day and there were 2 vacancies for the whole of Caithness!!!! I phoned both of them. the first one was answered by someone from eastern europe who could barely speak English!!!! Told her why I was phoning and she gave me the boss' mobile number. Phoned it got no answer and left a message. He didnt even get back to me!! Called the business again and got my favourite eastern european woman AGAIN, who tried to tell me that she couldnt contact the owner as he was sleeping!!!!!.
How can anyone get a job with Employers that employ people with little language skills and an owner who wont get out of his bed?

Luckily I got the 2nd one and I'm not letting it go for anyone!!!:eek:
Come on hotters, you can tell us - who's the lucky employer?!;)
On a serious note, the days of leaving one job on Friday and starting Monday in a new one are long gone. Heaven help our kids leaving school and looking for work, it's bleak out there and not everyone is university material ( me included). I'm usually a "half full glass" person, but todays employment situation is bad and will get worse.:(

cuddlepop
04-Feb-09, 15:39
There are very few jobs out there and what gets advertised is usually decided before hand.

Hopefully we'll have a good tourist season and "local" people will get employment for the summer.

Theone,try applying for jobs just now that you see advertised and see how far you get,just as an exercise to prove to youself what reality is really like .:roll:

garrioch
04-Feb-09, 15:52

bet when they see job adverts for cleaners cantee workers or maccy D's they turn there noses up at it other wise tey would have jobs by now, no offense to yor freinds but i think thats a problems in genral with people these days only want high flying jobs they don't have qualifacations or experince for and not willing to work they're way up the ladder so to speak just want to be slotted in at middle mangment or higher.

S&LHEN
04-Feb-09, 17:10
Not true you apply for all the jobs you see and you get turned down even if your willing to clean toilets. Thats fact.
I still think its not what you know here its who you know

ShelleyCowie
04-Feb-09, 17:22
Not true you apply for all the jobs you see and you get turned down even if your willing to clean toilets. Thats fact.

I agree! To get places you need to know the right people sometimes! [disgust]

cuddlepop
04-Feb-09, 17:52
For anyone whose in a job and has been for a number of years,they tend to forget just whats its like to try and find work.

My Oh has had 4 months seasonal work since he left HC in the summer of 2007.
He now admits he never expected it to be this hard.:(

The rules for training for work are too tight and only kick in after your unemployed for 6 months.Surely traing should be offered as soon as your unemployed.

Your confidence,self respect and "employability" decrease with every day that passes.

OH was in facility management and now doubts,even if he was offered an admin post he could do the job.:(

gemma89
04-Feb-09, 20:43

Completly agree with that one, I was un-employed for 5 months at the start of last year, applied for everything!! Only way I got back into work was because my friend had given me a mention where she worked.
Not through the numerous applications I had sent out and the one interview I got offered. Most of the places I applied for didn't even have the decency to tell me the job was taken.

Tony
04-Feb-09, 21:22
Good luck to those seeking work and know it will get worse. I would say if you can't find work then you would have to retrain in areas of demand or simply improve on your qualifications to improve your prospects. Future employers would prefer to see that you are doing something during a period of unemployment.
The other thing is not all jobs are advertised and you may have to prepare and send out cv's or even go round and pay a visit to prospective employers to see them face to face and may end up being worth your while as they will see you are keen.

ett23
04-Feb-09, 21:33
The other thing is not all jobs are advertised and you may have to prepare and send out cv's or even go round and pay a visit to prospective employers to see them face to face and may end up being worth your while as they will see you are keen.

Have to agree with you there. That's the way I got my first job as a waitress in a hotel in golspie. I phoned round every business in the village and left my name and number with them all asking for them to get back in touch with me if a job vacancy came up - and 1 hotel got back in touch and I got a job!!:) OK so i only lasted 6 weeks there but I went straight into another job and that got me on the job ladder. Now I'm a full-time mum but I'm glad I don't need a job because from experiences being told on here it seems it'd be very hard to find one!! :(

hotrod4
04-Feb-09, 21:35
bet when they see job adverts for cleaners cantee workers or maccy D's they turn there noses up at it other wise tey would have jobs by now, no offense to yor freinds but i think thats a problems in genral with people these days only want high flying jobs they don't have qualifacations or experince for and not willing to work they're way up the ladder so to speak just want to be slotted in at middle mangment or higher.
Dont think thats entirely true. I am qualified at what I do and would class myself as "skilled", BUT when I was unemployed I applied for Vacancies that would be deemed "lower" down the employment ladder than my trade, but still no luck.You can have qualifications the length of Bridge street but it doesnt matter at all if your face doesnt fit. In a small town alot of it IS who you know that gets you the job.
I would love to see those that say its easy to get jobs try and find a job if they lose theirs (Hope they dont lose their jobs) just so they can see how hard it is at the moment for ALL trades and Skills.

squidge
04-Feb-09, 22:37
Hotrod is right - In my experience the vast vast majority of people out of work want to work and for one reason or the other cant get a job. That reason is very very rarely because they are idle. In fact in 20 years i probably met less than 100 people who were truly idle and couldnt be bothered or avoided getting work because they were lazy. I could quote you example after example of people that appeared to be bone idle but when you got really to the bottom of things there were far more fundamental issues which were preventing them applying for, getting and keeping employment.

EDDIE
04-Feb-09, 22:48

I used to be one of these people that wanted to work but couldnt get a job i know that feeling well so in the end i moved away from caithness to aberdeen to get work never looked back i guess its just the way of the world sometimes.

There is nothing wrong with having foreign workers they do a good job the only thing were the uk government made a huge mistake is they should have had all eu workers working permit that has to be renewed everyyear and a restriction on how many foriegn workers come in to the uk so everthing was controllable were at present it aint really.
Sometimes i cant help but think a foreign worker will get a council house before a local?

Whitewater
04-Feb-09, 23:51
I have always been lucky myself, I have been in full employment all my life, perhaps having good training/qualifications and being at the right place at the right time helped. I have also moved away to get into jobs that I liked, but I had always secured the job before I moved. However, it can be very difficult to find suitable work, and sometimes if you divert from your profession it may be very difficult to get back into it. I know somebody who has been in work for most of his life but there have been times when between contract he has been out of work for 3 or 4 months at a time. It as been difficult for him to take another job as he feels he will be letting his employer down and keeping somebody else out of work.
I know of single mothers who would like to work, but the wages are not enough as they have to pay childminders etc. They are better of being unemployed and claiming all their entitlements.
There is no easy answer to this this, you can not find a blanket solution/excuse to encompass eveybody who is unfortunate enough to be in this situation. But having said that I must agree that there are many people around who don't want to work, never have and never will. You just need to look up the river any morning and find them all drinking their bottles of 'Whitelightning' and you will find them hanging particular areas of the town as well.

hotrod4
05-Feb-09, 07:48
However, it can be very difficult to find suitable work, and sometimes if you divert from your profession it may be very difficult to get back into it.
That is very true, I switched trades and went into Customer service for the last 4 years.As there is nothing in that line I had to revert back to my trade. After a 4 year gap I had to prove to my Employer that I was good at my trade. I just told them the truth that the reason i left my Trade was I lost my "passion" for it,but I still kept an Interest in it and felt my "passion" had returned. It worked!!! (thankfully) but there are people out there with loads of skills but because of the gap between employment etc it looks like they dont care which in most cases isnt true.