PDA

View Full Version : Spot toy shop wick

Mazda
03-Feb-09, 15:53
Went into the Spot Shop in Wick this morning to Purchase a couple of bikes for the Grandkids just wanted alook to see what they had as the little ones not here till School hols Next week.
Well the Man in the shop just stood at his desk looking at his book not interested in Customers.
His only reply was the Bikes are in the Window next door!
So More Money lost to local traders Bikes now ordered on the web from Halfords.
As the only Toy/Bike shop in Wick you would of thought his attitude would of been better.
So Much As Supporting the local Shops !!! No Way with that Attitude

Julia
03-Feb-09, 16:13
You know I haven't been in that shop for about thirty years, looking in the window some of the stock hasn't changed in thirty years either [lol]

On a serious note though I do hope the shop owner reads this and starts giving more attention to potential customers, that place could be a magnet for all the wee kids with pocket money etc.. as it's the only 'toy shop' left locally.

crashbandicoot1979
03-Feb-09, 16:14
Where is this? I never even knew there was a toy shop in Wick (not that I'd be enthralled to visit it after mazda's experience!!)

carasmam
03-Feb-09, 16:22
He must have been having a bad day, always been very helpful any time I go in.
I'd love to have a rake in that shop, bet there are some classic toys lurking in there :)

butterfly
03-Feb-09, 16:38
last time we bought a bike of him he was very helpful,he was very good with my wee one and didnt mind her going behind his counter for a nose!:D

Skerries
03-Feb-09, 18:48
You get brilliant service in the bike shop in Thurso. You should try that!

pat
03-Feb-09, 21:11
Always found the folk to be extremely friendly and very helpful in this shop.

dirdyweeker
03-Feb-09, 21:33
My difficulty with the 'Spot' is the opening hours. They never seem to have any. It is a hit or a miss if you find it open.
Have certainly enjoyed shopping in there when I got the chance and they do have a good selection with reasonable prices.

cat
03-Feb-09, 21:35
iv found him helpful too.
did the halfords web site bend over backwards to be nice to you?!!

dirdyweeker
03-Feb-09, 21:37
I haven't found him rude or unhelpful, my problem is finding him!

jmmcd
03-Feb-09, 21:45
We bought our sons first bike from there, we were shown the bikes by an elderly man, who was really lovely and asked us to come back when his son was there to pay for it as he wasnt sure how to use the card machine. He reserved it for us and we went in the following day to pay and collect - they couldnt have been more helpful.

I have bought toys in there that you couldn't possibly dream of finding in tesco! A very classic shop indeed!

Oh and if the toy shop is closed, go into the bakers and they will take you through a back door into the toy shop, sometimes there is only one person looking after both shops.

*Martin*
03-Feb-09, 21:49
iv found him helpful too.
did the halfords web site bend over backwards to be nice to you?!!

Maybe not, but it probably never ignored him either :roll:

joxville
03-Feb-09, 22:56
He must have been having a bad day, always been very helpful any time I go in.
I'd love to have a rake in that shop, bet there are some classic toys lurking in there :)

Definitely worth a look. I bought two, dust covered late 1970's Airfix type kits from him in 1999 for £12 and never got around to building them. I sold them on Ebay 2 years ago for £57. :D It was the only time I was ever in the shop, coincidentally buying a bike for my toddler son.

dogman
03-Feb-09, 23:15
I bought a bike from this guy last year.
I was very impressed, managed to haggle thirty quid off the price and get him to assemble it.
Poor customer service is common up here, the best bet is just to haggle with them.

joxville
03-Feb-09, 23:21
I bought a bike from this guy last year.
I was very impressed, managed to haggle thirty quid off the price and get him to assemble it.
Poor customer service is common up here, the best bet is just to haggle with them.

Sorry, I have to disagree with you. I've lived all over UK and found Caithness to be the best when it comes to customer service, and the shop staff are the friendliest too. Worst place I ever shopped was a local Co-op store in Hampshire-one of the assistants actually spoke down to customers, a real condescending tone to the voice as if we should be grateful she is there for us. It closed up last year.

TBH
03-Feb-09, 23:29
Went into the Spot Shop in Wick this morning to Purchase a couple of bikes for the Grandkids just wanted alook to see what they had as the little ones not here till School hols Next week.
Well the Man in the shop just stood at his desk looking at his book not interested in Customers.
His only reply was the Bikes are in the Window next door!
So More Money lost to local traders Bikes now ordered on the web from Halfords.
As the only Toy/Bike shop in Wick you would of thought his attitude would of been better.
So Much As Supporting the local Shops !!! No Way with that AttitudeYou said your grandkids just wanted a look to see what they had, he told you where the bikes were so where's the problem?
Did you ask other questions which were ignored as your post implies?

butterfly
03-Feb-09, 23:52
Oh and if the toy shop is closed, go into the bakers and they will take you through a back door into the toy shop, sometimes there is only one person looking after both shops.

i was just gonna say that,they are a nice family and would do anything for you if you asked politely.......

Gizmo
04-Feb-09, 00:11
You get brilliant service in the bike shop in Thurso. You should try that!

You mean from the condescending elitist that runs the place?, from personal experience i find his attitude terrible, mountain bike technology has moved on quite a bit since i last bought one in 1997, and when i went there about 3 years ago looking for some replacement parts he treated me like some kind of halfwit for not being completely clued up on what i was looking for.

purplelady
04-Feb-09, 00:20
have to say have been in a few times and have always been very nice my son got his last bike from him and he made sure it was the rite fit and that he would get as much use out of it before he grew out of it x

Kevin Milkins
04-Feb-09, 00:20
Definitely worth a look. I bought two, dust covered late 1970's Airfix type kits from him in 1999 for £12 and never got around to building them. I sold them on Ebay 2 years ago for £57. :D It was the only time I was ever in the shop, coincidentally buying a bike for my toddler son.

I hope you told the tax man jox or the fraud squad could be banging on your door anytime soon.;)

Stavro
04-Feb-09, 05:00
I personally am fond of the small-firm old world shops that add unique charm and character to any town, and have purchased a bicycle from “The Spot” in the past. Maybe you didn’t have the most sociable experience in this instance, but I’ve always found service to be very good in there, the guy knows his stuff and when I had a puncture only two weeks after the purchase of my new bicycle I had it replaced free of charge. I also remember when he helped me out with my old bicycle during a time when I cycled into work from the county a while ago. This is the kind-of service that small shops often excel in whereas big shops always go by company guidelines/rules and have nothing to loose with a “on your bike” (pardon the pun) attitude!

Aaldtimer
04-Feb-09, 05:07
Stavro..."the guy knows his stuff and when I had a puncture only two weeks after the purchase of my new bicycle I had it replaced free of charge."...

You had the bike replaced free of charge for a puncture?!!!

Why couldn't you just do the repair yourself? [disgust]

Stavro
04-Feb-09, 05:23
I could have indeed fixed the puncture myself, however, I seem to recall that the inside tube wasn’t in properly in the first place and had a bulge thus causing the tire to be more susceptible to something like that. I was given a free complimentary tube and it was fitted perfectly second time around.

Mazda
04-Feb-09, 12:37
Post removed

poppett
04-Feb-09, 19:28
Have always enjoyed shopping for childrens toys at "The Spot". The Yellops are a friendly family and not pushy to make sales, but will go out of their way to provide the toys you want.

Bakery too a favourite... toffy meringues to die for and scrummy pies and celebration cakes.........

A bike and a bun in tandem...............JOY.

router
04-Feb-09, 19:31
i found "the Spot" shop excellent for things unavailable elsewhere. I like to do model crafting and could not find paints to finish the project.Tried Tesco, Argos but to no avail, so went to the toy shop and they had loads of paint choices and models of all kinds. Great service and as has been noted, never pushed for a sale.

tomacomen
04-Feb-09, 22:55
You mean from the condescending elitist that runs the place?, from personal experience i find his attitude terrible, mountain bike technology has moved on quite a bit since i last bought one in 1997, and when i went there about 3 years ago looking for some replacement parts he treated me like some kind of halfwit for not being completely clued up on what i was looking for.

I know exactly what you mean about the bike shop in thurso. Sometimes if he doesnt want to do a job he'll pretty much just dally about and try and confuse you until you go away or just claim that it cant be done at all!

Having done the sport for nearly 8 years, I know what im talking about and I keep up to date with all the new tech thats coming out. Im not too impressed when im told that im stupid for fitting 2.35" tyres on "cross country" rims, the same tyre/wheel combo that many professionals were using the previous season. I've had other "opinions" like this on other parts too.

Needless to say I now have most tools needed for carrying out serious work on my bike.

As for the spot shop, havent had any work done by them, but the cans of WD-40 and some of his pocket bike tool prices are pretty good! The place is certainly like an aladdins cave of old toys too!