PDA

View Full Version : Sheep repellent wanted

attielattie
03-Feb-09, 15:35
There are a bunch of woolly menaces hanging around Melvich (owned, I believe by some mannie in Strathy). I’d got used to having to shut the gate to prevent them partying in our garden, crapping all over the place and ripping up the plants, but now the bleating so and sos have started climbing over the wall to get in, knocking it down as they do so. We keep rebuilding it, making it higher, but still they get in! For all I know, they could be digging a tunnel just in case the wall gets too high. Like the Great Ewescape…..sorry

One night recently, when my husband was away, I spotted them hanging round the garden like a bunch of hoodies in sheep’s clothing so I ran out, in pyjamas, slippers and fetching red fleecy dressing gown, shouting “Go away you naughty things!” (or words to that effect) like some mental case (goodness knows what the neighbours thought). I assumed the sheer horror of the sight would put them off for a while, but alas no, they returned……they’ve either got strong stomachs or poor memories.

I just want to know if any farming types (or other experts on sheep), know of a way to dissuade the errant beasts. I have formulated various “revenge” attacks, which of course, being an animal lover, I would never carry out (besides which I realise it’s not the fault of the sheep).
1. Catch a few of them (don’t know how, haven’t worked that out yet) and spray paint “Girlfriend number one Flossie” etc on the fleece
2. Get a paintball gun – result, lovely multi-coloured wool – the handicap being I’m not a good shot
3. Insert sharpened stakes into the top of the wall – mmmm, I’m not a good stake sharpener either
4. Dig a pit at the garden side of the wall; cover it with a thin sheet disguised as grass and laugh manically as they pile over the wall and into my trap – sounds too much like hard work, all that digging
5. Smear some smelly stuff on top of the wall – but that wouldn’t be very nice for me
6. Sheep-napping – borrow a trailer, catch a few sheep (see number 4) and transport them halfway down the Strath – but that’s probably illegal
7. Find out the phone number of the owner, phone him up in the middle of the night and say “Come and get your sheep out of my garden, or I let the dog out!” – accompany this by recorded barking of large dog
8. Buy a large dog – not fair on dog cos we both work full time

Well, rant over. Of course I would NEVER do anything to harm the sheep (much as I feel like it sometimes). I had actually thought they’d got the message since we haven’t seen them in the garden lately but someone told us they were in the garden yesterday while we were at work.

I honestly don’t mind the sheep wandering about the village – it’s what sheep do. I just want to stop them “ram raiding” the garden. Excuse all the bad puns – I’m bored, so I’ll say bye for now. :rolleyes:

Penelope Pitstop
03-Feb-09, 15:55
There are a bunch of woolly menaces hanging around Melvich (owned, I believe by some mannie in Strathy). I’d got used to having to shut the gate to prevent them partying in our garden, crapping all over the place and ripping up the plants, but now the bleating so and sos have started climbing over the wall to get in, knocking it down as they do so. We keep rebuilding it, making it higher, but still they get in! For all I know, they could be digging a tunnel just in case the wall gets too high. Like the Great Ewescape…..sorry

One night recently, when my husband was away, I spotted them hanging round the garden like a bunch of hoodies in sheep’s clothing so I ran out, in pyjamas, slippers and fetching red fleecy dressing gown, shouting “Go away you naughty things!” (or words to that effect) like some mental case (goodness knows what the neighbours thought). I assumed the sheer horror of the sight would put them off for a while, but alas no, they returned……they’ve either got strong stomachs or poor memories.

I just want to know if any farming types (or other experts on sheep), know of a way to dissuade the errant beasts. I have formulated various “revenge” attacks, which of course, being an animal lover, I would never carry out (besides which I realise it’s not the fault of the sheep).
1. Catch a few of them (don’t know how, haven’t worked that out yet) and spray paint “Girlfriend number one Flossie” etc on the fleece
2. Get a paintball gun – result, lovely multi-coloured wool – the handicap being I’m not a good shot
3. Insert sharpened stakes into the top of the wall – mmmm, I’m not a good stake sharpener either
4. Dig a pit at the garden side of the wall; cover it with a thin sheet disguised as grass and laugh manically as they pile over the wall and into my trap – sounds too much like hard work, all that digging
5. Smear some smelly stuff on top of the wall – but that wouldn’t be very nice for me
6. Sheep-napping – borrow a trailer, catch a few sheep (see number 4) and transport them halfway down the Strath – but that’s probably illegal
7. Find out the phone number of the owner, phone him up in the middle of the night and say “Come and get your sheep out of my garden, or I let the dog out!” – accompany this by recorded barking of large dog
8. Buy a large dog – not fair on dog cos we both work full time

Well, rant over. Of course I would NEVER do anything to harm the sheep (much as I feel like it sometimes). I had actually thought they’d got the message since we haven’t seen them in the garden lately but someone told us they were in the garden yesterday while we were at work.

I honestly don’t mind the sheep wandering about the village – it’s what sheep do. I just want to stop them “ram raiding” the garden. Excuse all the bad puns – I’m bored, so I’ll say bye for now. :rolleyes:

Personally, I like No 7 - get his phone number and ring him in the middle of the night: when you get up for a pee give him a tinkle....or should I say phone him [lol] Tell him there are lots of stray dogs on the loose too!!!

Mazda
03-Feb-09, 15:55
If the Sheep Belong to a crofter report it to the Crofters Commission In Inverness as there is a code about where sheep can Roam.

attielattie
03-Feb-09, 16:01
Thanks Mazda, I never knew that. I don't want to be petty and get him into trouble (much!) - I just want to keep the sheep out of the garden, before they do too much damage - hubbie's a keen gardener, me I would concrete the lot! And the amount of crap they leave - you'd think they'd been on the Senokot. [lol]

Mazda
03-Feb-09, 16:04
There droppings can be Dangerous to Young Children and others.

Wellies
03-Feb-09, 17:10
Try putting one strand of barb wire along the top of your wall about 8 to 12 inches from the top. This usually works. If you are on common grazing land it up to you to keep the sheep out your garden. But the barb should work.

Kodiak
03-Feb-09, 17:33
Put out on your wall a couple of jars of "Mint Sauce" that should keep the little Beggars away !! :lol:

butterfly
03-Feb-09, 17:46
Try putting one strand of barb wire along the top of your wall about 8 to 12 inches from the top. This usually works. If you are on common grazing land it up to you to keep the sheep out your garden. But the barb should work.

this looks like the best option,but i would still ring the farmer in the small hours o the morning![lol]

attielattie
03-Feb-09, 22:00
Thanks to all for the suggestions - serious and otherwise! Think we might have to try the barbed wire - even though it will make the wall look a bit "Stalag Luft" if you know what I mean - it'll be watchtowers next!
Someone told me that Melvich is a "closed village" - but I don't know for sure.
Well, well, time to go - will resist temptation to look out of the window. It's not a nice night to be chasing sheep about - although I am fully clothed at this time of night, pjs and slippers yet to come.
Night, night all ;)

Errogie
03-Feb-09, 23:49
There is no requirement in law for a householder to be responsible for preventing domestic livestock from entering their private garden or any other part of their property from a common grazing. The owner or owners of the sheep are responsible for their actions and any damage they may cause and cannot step away from that responsibility.

A9RUNNER
04-Feb-09, 02:21
It is in the title deeds of our house that all fences gates etc have to be stock proof. It is our responsibillity to keep the farm animals out not the farmers.

JAWS
04-Feb-09, 02:24
Try seeing if somebody will lend you an electric fence, as in animal type rather than "Stalag Luft" level, :eek:.
I'm no expert but I would suspect they would soon take the hint and start giving your garden a miss.
I would think that once they had got the message the fence would not be needed as a permanent measure. If they start getting forgetful a short period of "re-indoctrination" might be necessary.

The Angel Of Death
04-Feb-09, 14:01
Scarecrow with an Aberdeen top on him

Job done

MadPict
04-Feb-09, 17:05
It is in the title deeds of our house that all fences gates etc have to be stock proof. It is our responsibillity to keep the farm animals out not the farmers.

I think you may find the farmer is required to 'back fence' if there is a risk of his livestock damaging your property. Your property also includes your fence/wall/hedge or other boundary device.
It's in our deeds to maintain stock proof fencing but when my wife asked colleagues, who teach at an agricultural college, they said the farmer is obliged to put up back fencing if asked.
I asked the farmer (who 'leases' grazing rights for his cattle in the field next to our house) and he did the whole field where it bordered private property. That is several hundred yards so I suspect his willingness to do that much implies his obligation to do so?

...a couple of jars of "Mint Sauce"...
That idea did enter my mind too!

Errogie
04-Feb-09, 19:38
A9 Runner if the title to your land was acquired from the adjacent farmer he may have included this condition in the original disposition. Whether it is enforceable is another matter but I very much doubt that a Common Grazings Committee in Melvich has any authority to require a resident of Melvich to fence out wandering sheep.

attielattie
05-Feb-09, 12:49
Love some of your suggestions peeps! Having a good laugh here - boring day at work.:lol:

The reason my hubbie put a large heavy gate at the end of the drive was to keep the sheep out (cheaper than fitting a cattle grid) - thinking that a stone wall and gate would do the trick. But this climbing over the wall is a relatively new thing - they only used to come in before if we inadvertently left the gate open. The weird thing is that, if they are in the garden and we open the gate to let them out, they still persist in climbing over the wall......right next to the open gate. My mum (who knows lots of weird and wonderful facts) says that she'd heard that sheep are so stupid that they always have to leave the way they came in. Not sure if this is an old wifie's tale or what.
As for all the climbing - it looks like such hard work when you see them attempting to get back over the wall - mind you, that could be panic when being chased by a dressing gown clad lunatic. Are they practising for something - do they belong to some sort of sheepy version of Mountain Rescue? Am I going to find crampons and ropes adorning the wall one day?
Am losing the plot - better do some work.......