PDA

View Full Version : Scottish legal system unfair.

Fran
03-Feb-09, 03:02
The Scottish legal system can be very unfair. the case against an american lawyer involved in a car crash in skye has been dropped because she has back pain which prevents her from travelling to scotland to stand trial.
Have you ever heard of backache stopping a court procedure before....and in scotland too!!!
The american was charged with careless driving after her car collided with another being driven by a skye woman, who wastrapped in the wreckage of her car for 4 hours and spent 3 months in hospital. the american was uninjured.
The scotswoman said she feels let down by the scottish legal system as the american woman has got off scotf ree. Can you blame her! The american said she is releived that court proceedings have concluded. I bet she is.
I wonder how many other people will now use this as an excuse to avoid court trials etc. It will be interesting to see.

butterfly
03-Feb-09, 03:15
the whole legal sytem is unfair.murder someone and you get a couple o years,steal from someone and you get four.just doesnt make sense does it?[evil]

Metalattakk
03-Feb-09, 03:19
just doesnt make sense does it?[evil]

Nope, you're right. None of your post made any sense at all. Show me where anyone convicted of murder was sentenced to only two years in prison.

Sheesh.

butterfly
03-Feb-09, 03:35
what i meant is murder counts for nothing these days,the sentences they dish out are silly compared with the crime,you get longer sentences for crimes that are not murder.got it.take your time now;)

Metalattakk
03-Feb-09, 03:53
what i meant

Not what you said. Cogitate, elucidate, enunciate.

butterfly
03-Feb-09, 04:02
away and boil yer heed,pillock

Metalattakk
03-Feb-09, 04:05
away and boil yer heed,pillock

Let's face it, you didn't really cogitate, elucidate or enunciate there did you? ;)

butterfly
03-Feb-09, 05:14
Let's face it, you didn't really cogitate, elucidate or enunciate there did you? ;)

ok should have tooken more time to post it but i have explained what i meant ,is that more clear to you now[lol]

cuddlepop
03-Feb-09, 17:32
The Scottish legal system can be very unfair. the case against an american lawyer involved in a car crash in skye has been dropped because she has back pain which prevents her from travelling to scotland to stand trial.
Have you ever heard of backache stopping a court procedure before....and in scotland too!!!
The american was charged with careless driving after her car collided with another being driven by a skye woman, who wastrapped in the wreckage of her car for 4 hours and spent 3 months in hospital. the american was uninjured.
The scotswoman said she feels let down by the scottish legal system as the american woman has got off scotf ree. Can you blame her! The american said she is releived that court proceedings have concluded. I bet she is.
I wonder how many other people will now use this as an excuse to avoid court trials etc. It will be interesting to see.

Fran this accident happened over here on Skye and unfortunatly we were stuck in the traffic jam that insued.
It was the night of the firework display at Dunvegan so the road was very busy with traffic going to the event.

When we eventually passed the scene of this accident,the car or what was left of it was still in the verge.
I've seen a few accidents and quiet frankly this woman was lucky to get out alive.

It beggers believe that this American tourist,who told the court at the time was a frequent visitor because her daughter was studying here was granted bail.no mention of her bad back then[disgust]

A year later and the case is thrown out?

Where's the justice for the poor woman who spent 3 months in hospital and whose mobility is still impaired.

Errogie
03-Feb-09, 23:59
Unfortunately dispensing justice seems to be governed by cost and the amount of effort necessary to bring the matter to a conclusion.

Where someone leaves the country and manages to distance themselves from the incident and makes some other delaying excuses the authorities too often just decide cut their costs and drop the case.

JAWS
04-Feb-09, 02:01
If the woman is back in America, and even if she had been arrested at the time it is highly unlikely she would have been kept in custody until there was a court case, then there is little that can be done.

The only way to force her to return would be to apply for extradition. I is almost certain that such an application would not be considered for a traffic accident and highly unlikely, even if extradition were requested, that an American Court or that of many other distant countries would grant extradition for such an incident.

I very much doubt that if the situation were reversed and it had been an accident in America that any court in Britain would grant extradition either.
It is difficult enough to have somebody extradited in cases of major international fraud or suspected espionage let alone a traffic accident.

What is considered fair is not necessarily what is practical.