PDA

View Full Version : Shame On You

Kevin Milkins
02-Feb-09, 23:44
Last October I got a bit fed up of Jamie Oliver and his pass it on campaign that was aimed at teaching the nation to cook for them selves.
It was not so much the programme I had an issue or even Jamie Oliver, it just that it seemed no matter which side or programme I was watching he seemed to be on there promoting his new idea.( I was a little bit surprised he was not on Corrie showing Betty how to make an hot pot)

I vented my frustration on the org on this thread (Jamie Oliver (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=58951)) and got badly beaten by all the Jamie fans, however I took my beating well and crawled back into my corner.

I was watching a programme on channel four, a 90 minute special called Jamie Saves our Bacon and I thought it was very informative and interesting show.

Mr. Oliver (touch my brow) has started a campaign called Shame On You that is highlighting the plight of our British pig producers and naming and shaming our government authorities that are prepared to import foreign pork products whilst overlooking our home produced.

I am from an agricultural background (although not had much to do with pigs) and I was surprised that we have to import parts of the pig that we cannot produce enough of and export the parts that we can’t sell enough of, like neck, belly and shoulder and Jamie was demonstrating what can be done with these less favored cuts to make a delicious meal and support our farmers.

I hope the campaign is a great success and our farming industry gets the lift that it needs.
1. Jamie Saves Our Bacon | Food | Channel4.com (http://uk.wrs.yahoo.com/_ylt=A1f4cfZZdYdJM5gA.cRLBQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTBybWpoN25 zBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMgRjb2xvA2lyZAR2dGlkAw--/SIG=141ds1ljl/EXP=1233700569/**http%3a//www.channel4.com/food/on-tv/jamie-oliver/jamie-saves-our-bacon/jamie-saves-our-bacon-08-%20)

changilass
02-Feb-09, 23:48
We watched this prog and had pork shoulder joint for tea the next day, plenty of meat for us to have a sunday type dinner and the following day to have chow mein with the leftovers .... and all this for under £4

Yummy

Kenn
03-Feb-09, 00:25
Belly pork with crisp crackling or cut for barbeque spare ribs great value.
Hock roasted with cloves and honey glazed another cheap but very tasty joint also the leftovers are great for ham and pea soup.

I think the biggest problem is that so many people these days just can't be bothered to cook or are afraid to go and consult the butcher as to which is the best way to cook the meat it's a sad reflection of the times.

butterfly
03-Feb-09, 00:26
i did watch it but turned it off when they castrated the wee piggies without any painkillers...couldnt watch

Kathy@watten
03-Feb-09, 00:30
Having just had my own pig slaughtered at the local abbatoir that week I watched both the victorian farm and the Jamie programme with intentions to do justice to my pig....got lots of ideas and now have local pork with which to try them out on...next piglet goes next week and I plan to waste nothing at all. Had first pork dinner other night and have to say once I got over the idea of this being "MY" piggy it tasted fantastic much better than either supermarket stuff or local buthcher's pork must be all the neeps and fruit he ate the meat was darker and had a really sweet taste. mmmm piggy did not die in vain!...please do not post a reply or pm me all you vegans/animal fanatics because this pig had a very happy piggy fufilled life with a destiny with the table and was treated with dignity throughout his life!!!

butterfly
03-Feb-09, 00:41
dont get me wrong,love bacon butties its just the squealing did my head in!and i can appreciate real farm fresh foods

Kevin Milkins
03-Feb-09, 00:44
We had a share of a locally produced pig last year and it was as good as any meat that we have tasted and good value for money.

Another link that tells more about Jamie Olivers campaign and some good ideas of what can be done with the different cuts.

Jamie Saves Our Bacon | Take the Pledge | Jamie Oliver (http://uk.wrs.yahoo.com/_ylt=A1f4cfUzhIdJmhwAi3lLBQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTBybWpoN25 zBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMgRjb2xvA2lyZAR2dGlkAw--/SIG=11r1i8dth/EXP=1233704371/**http%3a//www.jamieoliver.com/bacon/pledge)

Sarah
03-Feb-09, 01:13
I watched it as well, what a great program! I mean, obviously the slaughtering (sp?) and castrating of piglets was distressing to watch, but it was very interesting to find out just how much bacon we do import, and how much shoulders we export. I'm not a pork eater, but we do own a hotel (and obviously pork is served). I was explaining how we should get in shoulders more often, rather than just leg and belly all the time, hopefully it will make a difference!

JAWS
03-Feb-09, 02:46
Did he teach people how to cook trotters. tripe or cow heel?

hotrod4
03-Feb-09, 07:26
Cant tolerate the smell of pork cooking.Love Bacon and red pudding though. It seems I only like reconstituted pork!!! Shameful I know but my Pallet just cant handle "Real pork".:roll:

Tristan
03-Feb-09, 08:16
I think what shocked me the most was that our farmers have to produce meat under certain conditions which are more expensive, yet the government allows the import of meat being produced under less humane conditions. IMHO the same production standards should apply for our farmers and for imports.

arana negra
03-Feb-09, 10:05
The pork we have here in southern Spain has to the be the best I have ever tasted. We get cuts here I have never seen in the UK. Here they use ALL the pig I am told in one way or another. There some bits I have not tried and maybe will not lol the idea is enough to put me off. The pigs here are breed and fed in a certain way for a taste and the privilege of the specific name. It is strictly adhered to, the pigs may only be fed on acorns and the trees must be a cretain distance apart so the animals get the correct exercise.

" I was surprised that we have to import parts of the pig that we cannot produce enough of and export the parts that we can’t sell enough of, like neck, belly and shoulder and Jamie was demonstrating what can be done with these less favored cuts to make a delicious meal and support our farmers."

That sounds like a great idea.

Penelope Pitstop
03-Feb-09, 10:54
I think what shocked me the most was that our farmers have to produce meat under certain conditions which are more expensive, yet the government allows the import of meat being produced under less humane conditions. IMHO the same production standards should apply for our farmers and for imports.

That's what I thought too. Little wonder their pork is cheaper to produce than ours:confused

Ricco
03-Feb-09, 12:08
Watched it, loved it and tried to get Mrs Ricco interested in buying a shoulder - to no avail. She was away on business and missed the prog, so she didn't get to see the wonderful meal that can be made. It is about time someone got us back to a degree of understanding where our meat comes from. If some become veggies as a result that is OK but we as a nation have become rather divorced from the source of our roasts.

I admire and support both Jamie and Hugh Fernely-Whazzisname for what they are trying to achieve.

joxville
03-Feb-09, 15:27
I refuse to watch programmes with people telling me how I should live my life and what to buy. Can't stand Jamie Oliver and especially detest Gordon Ramsey and his propensity for swearing every second word. It's not big and it's not clever. He should do what his favourite word suggests and add OFF to it.