PDA

View Full Version : Getting to Norway or Faroe Islands by sea

roadbowler
02-Feb-09, 21:17
After searching the internet, it now seems there are no ferry routes going to Norway or Faroe Islands anymore.. is this right? Anybody know otherwise? If not, adventurous suggestions welcome! :D Looking to go to Norway in March.

buggyracer
02-Feb-09, 21:43
there is a summer ferry, failing that the cargo ferry that comes to scrabster twice a week may be a poss?

bekisman
02-Feb-09, 21:49
'fraid no longer does the ship go from Scrabster to those Northern Isles?(many years ago my wife and I took our car on the Smyril line to Torshavn for a weeks stay; beautiful place) but this link gives an idea what ferry goes where - although the link Shetlands to Torshavn and Bergan no longer run;
http://www.directferries.co.uk/routes.htm (http://www.directferries.co.uk/routes.htm)

roadbowler
02-Feb-09, 21:59
as far as i could see smyril has ditched these routes.

However, the cargo ship sounds interesting. Is this a cargo ship from norway? Anybody have more info?

roadbowler
02-Feb-09, 22:05
should have mentioned would quite happily take a detour to the faroes by sea and catch the smyril ferry from torshavn to esbjerg.

roadbowler
02-Feb-09, 22:12
as far as i could see smyril has ditched these routes.

However, the cargo ship sounds interesting. Is this a cargo ship from norway? Anybody have more info?

LMS
02-Feb-09, 22:24
I went to Norway by sea several years ago, sailing from Newcastle to Bergen. I think it took about 24 hours each way but there were very comfortable cabins and also very nice restaurants. I can't think of anywhere closer to home though, sorry.

davie
02-Feb-09, 22:26
There is a ferry from Newcastle to Norway running all year. The cargo vessel running from the Faroes to Scrabster does not do a passenger service - they have no spare accommodation or insurance for passengers.

roadbowler
02-Feb-09, 22:48
thanks for info. Im aware of a few ferries to take from down south but, quite fancied going by sea from here in caithness if possible. Ryanair does flights from glasgow to oslo for £2.50! But, really prefer by sea. Was disappointed to see the route is no longer. Any cargo ships from norway?

router
02-Feb-09, 23:17
How well can you swim[lol]

roadbowler
02-Feb-09, 23:36
weve actually been sitting here wagering on how many posts it would take for the "swimming" comment! Lol

router
02-Feb-09, 23:39
who won:cool:

balto
02-Feb-09, 23:47
would love to go to the faroes, stunning scenery and the mountains and stuff aint bad either, been ages sine i seen a fisherman from the faroes, since we dont work in woolies anymore, oh the fun we used to have, marks out on 10 spring to mind, oh sorry wandered a bit there lol.

roadbowler
02-Feb-09, 23:49
me so thank you! :-P

router
02-Feb-09, 23:52
would love to go to the faroes, stunning scenery and the mountains and stuff aint bad either, been ages sine i seen a fisherman from the faroes, since we dont work in woolies anymore, oh the fun we used to have, marks out on 10 spring to mind, oh sorry wandered a bit there lol.

wandering off is part of the fun
slight trip down memory lane:lol:

balto
02-Feb-09, 23:54
wandering off is part of the fun
slight trip down memory lane:lol:
oh and what fun it was lol.

buggyracer
03-Feb-09, 00:23
the cargo ferry takes fresh and frozen fish twice a week down from the Faeroe islands to scrabster and back again takes roughly 24 hours.

Tugmistress
03-Feb-09, 07:59
DFDS have quit their route from newcastle to norway, the smyril line 'norrona' has cancelled scrabster this year due to the economic climate in iceland.

ANNIE
03-Feb-09, 11:59
Try giving Dsteven &son a ring they maybe have some info for you seeing as they do the deliveries for the cargo ferry. Have been to the Faroes myself twice to attend weddings and its an amazing place with very friendly people. We used to fly Aberdeen direct but I think this flight has either stopped or has gotten very exspensive can't quite remember. Hope this is of some use to you

thebigman
03-Feb-09, 18:58
Scrabster Port Services handle the cargo vessel - 01847 893 092

roadbowler
06-Feb-09, 14:05
i wanted to say thank you for your responses! I do hope another ferry service starts up serving the all the northern islands and scandinavia again soon!